[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game actually good? Or is it good for a final fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: keka.jpg (111 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
keka.jpg
111 KB, 800x450
Is this game actually good? Or is it good for a final fantasy game. Also, what are the must play retro rpgs
>>
File: Dragon-Quest-III.jpg (1 MB, 1192x816) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Quest-III.jpg
1 MB, 1192x816
Dragon Quest III is the quintessential retro RPG.
>>
>>3337071
Hmm I wonder what cartoon was popular when they released this game
>>
File: drslump.jpg (263 KB, 716x1176) Image search: [Google]
drslump.jpg
263 KB, 716x1176
>>3337086

Dr. Slump
>>
>>3337068
it's massively overrated.

FFV is way better.
>>
>>3337086
but anon, Akira Toriyama did the art for this game

it has nothing to do with Dragon Ball's popularity, its just Toriyama's art style
>>
>>3337068
Yes, no. Play IV or V instead. VI is riddled with bugs and is piss-easy when you get what you're doing.
>>
It's great. It's got a neat story, a big world with a lot to find, and a good amount of freedom. Lots of variety with the characters, too, even if half of them only have one or two relevant story moments by the end of it.
>>
>>3337228
>IV

Fucking why? It's one of the most generic FF games of all time. The only reason it's so praised is because it was so many people's first exposure, just like 7.
>>
>>3337086
Are you dumb?
Toriyama has been doing the art for all Dragon Quest games for decades now.
>>
1 and 5 for the replay ability/customization

4, 6 and 7 so you fit in with the cool kids
>>
>>3337068
I love this game. I like the Final Fantasy series as a whole but I just really enjoyed FFVI's story. The end of the game is pretty much a large sidequest but it's worth it IMO. If you are playing on emulator, I recommend the Woolsey Uncensored Edition.

I will say FFIV, V, and VI each have their own unique qualities about them and each have their own fanbase. IV has many releases, but I liked the PSP version. As for V, try the Legend of the Crystals patch as it cleans up the old RPGe translation.

As for other must play retro RPGs: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, the Phantasy Star series, the Dragon Quest series, etc are all good RPGS.
>>
>>3337368
>The only reason it's so praised is because it was so many people's first exposure
And now you have "people who vehemently defend their favorite Final Fantasy game" in a nutshell.
>>
>>3337368
and it looks like shit too
>>
I'm playing now for the first time and I'm up to the Opera Scene. I've gotten hooked. I just finished FFV for the first time and I really liked that. I'd say FFV is more fun to play so far, but FFVI is growing on me.
>>
>>3337071
>Dragon Ball
>Anime television series
>February 26, 1986 – April 12, 1989

>Dragon Quest III
>JP release
>February 10, 1988
>>
>>3337368
>It's one of the most generic FF games
Exactly. It set the stage for the rest of the series.
>>
All of Final Fantasies 4 to 7 are great games.
>>
>>3337228
>>3337368

To his point: FFIV is a fine game, but it doesn't deserve the "Great" status that it usually has, nor should it sit anywhere near the top of "top FF games" lists, unless you genuinely dislike most of the FF games.

It's a simple, clean, fun and generic RPG. It does many things well but nothing spectacularly.
>>
>>3340159
Enjoy FFVI for characters and atmosphere.

Enjoy FFV for excellent gameplay and job system.
>>
>>3340295
Ports and remakes of retro games can be discussed here.

I wish I got paid for every time I had to tell someone this. ffs
>>
Final Fantasy V has better gameplay, but Final Fantasy VI's graphics, music, and story are sublime.
>>
>>3337139
people always say this. I played FFV. it seemed like a massive step back from IV. care to explain what I missed?
>>
>>3337228
what bugs? the two biggest ones i can think of is Magic defense being useless (who cares when you can stockpile Elixers?) and the Vanish+Doom instakill. and since when was a bug that made the game easier a thing to bitch about? some of us play JRPGs for the characters and story, not so we can grind like automatons to be able to beat the bosses
>>
>>3338754
I think you confused I with III.
>>
>>3341997
>>3342371
These two got it right.

>>3342403
The job system. 4 was all pre-set characters, you had who you had and that dictated your strategy. 5 lets you customize your team as the game progresses, and change people on the fly between battles. Makes for a very deep system to fuck around with. If you didn't get far enough to get the first crystal shards and the first jobs that come with them, you wouldn't have noticed.
>>
>>3337068
Good for an FF game. Best FF games are Bravely Default and Final Fantasy Tactics, IMO.
>>
>>3337068
It's very good, but it may be easy during the first half of the game if you're used to RPGs.
>>
>>3342458
I don't know about BB, I found it to be easily repetitive. FFV was more enjoyable in my opinion for its faster pace in battles.
>>
File: Breath of Fire III.jpg (50 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
Breath of Fire III.jpg
50 KB, 425x425
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.