[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good atari games to get? The only one I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: atari.jpg (3 MB, 4080x2448) Image search: [Google]
atari.jpg
3 MB, 4080x2448
What are some good atari games to get? The only one I'm still actively hunting a cheap copy of is Adventure, which for some reason I either never find or find in bad condition for stupid prices.

Pic is my current collection. Any good ones I should look for on top of these?

Also is a harmony flashcart worth it? I would like to play homebrew and supercharger games.
>>
While we're at it, feel free to post games you like, games you suck at, or videos of people doing absurdly well at games you like and/or suck at.

Here's somebody maxing the score out in Chopper Command on Game 3, Difficulty AA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6agNPxUWjc
>>
File: 1467450264681.jpg (35 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1467450264681.jpg
35 KB, 360x360
Phoenix is pretty cool, and it doesn't look like you have it. My personal faves are Centipede, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, DK Jr, and Warlords. And yes, I actually love 2600 Donkey Kong, it's my favorite port. The port of DK Jr is generally more well regarded. All of the Star Wars games are worth a play if you like Star Wars.
>>
Pitfall 2, Dark Chambers, HERO, Montezuma's Revenge, Ghost Manor, Supercharger
>>
Warlords, Pitfall, River Raid, Yar's Revenge, Krull
>>
>>3331756
Supercharger as in the add-on, or a game called supercharger?
>>
>>3331723
I like the 2600 donkey kong as well, its not a bad reproduction of the first and last level of the arcade game. The main thing holding it back was ROM size but look at what the 2600 was capable of when it had access to more space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6vhLDN3dI
>>
>>3331495
I remember being like 5 and going to my aunts house for the first time (early 90's)

I had a nes and sega an snes at the time.
When they pulled out an atari and joust, I felt really weird. Like I shouldnt be there.

TLDR: atari is for cultists
>>
>>3332321
Most arcade ports back then were well below what the hardware was capable of, but they were done on a limited time and budget schedule, also a lot of l33t hax0r programming tricks weren't well known back then.

For that matter, someone should do a NES Donkey Kong remake. Not that that's a bad port but it's missing a lot of stuff due to the limited ROM space.
>>
The best commercially released arcade port for the VCS was probably Double Dragon only because it was released so late in the console's run and made by Activision who had the most elite of elite VCS coders.
>>
>>3332331
Aside from pac-man I think most of the arcade "ports" are somewhere between okay and great. They might be missing some mechanics or have some tweaks but they're still pretty fun in their own right. I don't get why Atari changed all the aliens to monster looking things in Space Invaders though, there's probably a reason behind that.
>>
>>3332348
When I said "Most arcade ports back then were well below what the hardware was capable of", I meant home computers and consoles in general and not specifically the VCS.
>>
>>3331495
Fishing Derby if you have a second person to play it with.
>>
>>3332321
That thing uses a 32k ROM though; ROMs of that size weren't even available yet in 1982 and they would have cost $$$ if they were. Even 8k games on the VCS were expensive because you also needed a TTL chip to bank the ROMs. AFAIK Double Dragon was the largest commercially released game at 16k and that was in, like, 1989?
>>
I wonder how different things would have been if Atari bought starpath and made the supercharger a legit thing. More space for ROMs and more available RAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL6suG-xDlw
>>
The Atari 400/800 version of DK was originally 20k but the programmer had to trim it to fit on a 16k cartridge.
>>
Atari is trash. Get a console that doesn't have the picture quality of a chinese $2 webcam.
>>
>>3332331
Nintendo did make an official 4-level port of donkey Kong, it was sold on virtual console I think. I remember they made a big deal of it.
>>
>>3332412
They had 32k ROMs out by 1985. However, they doubted it was possible to get bigger than that until two years later when 64k ROMs appeared. The main reason for the Famicom Disk System was actually a fear of hitting a memory ceiling that never materialized.
>>
>>3332185
The add-on. Basically for Dragonstomper but Escape from the Mindmaster is pretty good too. You can buy the actually game cassettes if you want but you know you'll just be loading the games off your cell phone.
>>
>>3332321
Yet interestingly, this version still fails to recreate the sloped girders from the original cartridge which were fairly tricky to implement due to the limited number of clock cycles to render the playfield in.
>>
Memory on 8-bit CPUs is very tight due to the limited 16-bit address bus which meant bank switching was normal especially by the NES era. The SNES/Genesis for comparison have CPUs with 24-bit address buses for 16MB maximum addressable memory, however their cartridge slots only had 22 address lines connected for 4MB. Even so, the vast majority of their games never exceeded 4MB in size.
>>
Could you be any more vague?

You just looking for Atari published games? Theyve been publishing games for decades.

You looking for Atari system games? Theres like a dozen Atari systems.
>>
>>3333346
Look at his picture, Moron. He obviously means VCS games. I would give him some 99/4a recs too had he asked.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.