[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mega Man 7 was bad meme How did it start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: mm7 i liked it.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1534) Image search: [Google]
mm7 i liked it.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1534
>Mega Man 7 was bad meme

How did it start?
>>
>Mega Man 7 is underrated meme

How did it start?
>>
>>3330284

It probably started from the Mega Man 7 was bad meme. But how did that one start?
>>
Have no real idea why people dislike 7 or 8 either for that matter. Both aren't nearly the best in the series or as good as the NES MM games but still fun to play..

The unskippable cutscenes and shit menus do bring 7 down a notch though
>>
File: mm7-1.gif (11 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
mm7-1.gif
11 KB, 256x224
>>3330241
7 is pretty good in my opinion. The biggest problem is the character sprites are too large for the screen. Because of this levels end up feeling too cramped and feel not fun to play. Really the game actually kinda freaks me out, it is said that it only had a development period of around 3 monthes. I wouldn't put it near the top of best mega man list but when seen how fucked the later X games were you see 7 has no where near as much against it as you would think.

Also fuck the wily capsule, fight is bullshit.
>>
Unfortunately it came out after X and X2.
>>
>>3330241
Honestly I think the sprites look several times better than the NES Megaman games. I'm just sad they're too big but, I love the way they look.
>>
File: mm8_06.png (51 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mm8_06.png
51 KB, 320x240
>>3330448
I've always found MM8 and MM&B to be my favorites visually in the classic series. Those nice, chunky sprites, all the colors, and not as squat as MM7. I'm still miffed we never got another game in that style.
>>
>>3330241
>It wasn't 8 bit and it wasn't Megaman X, so it was bad
>>
File: MM8.jpg (329 KB, 770x789) Image search: [Google]
MM8.jpg
329 KB, 770x789
>>3330580

Mega Man 8 is fucking gorgeous as hell. It's honestly my favourite MM. Also, it has a banging OST.
>>
>>3330241
>How did it start?

It started when Capcom decided to release a Mega Man game with huge sprites, slow gameplay, and forgettable bosses two years after they released the infinitely superior Mega Man X.

Game was a step backwards in every way
>>
>>3330621
>Also, it has a banging OST.
I like you anon, we're friends now.
>>
File: 1343901711586.jpg (593 KB, 1900x1267) Image search: [Google]
1343901711586.jpg
593 KB, 1900x1267
>>3330646

Sounds good to me! What's your favourite track, anon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoEYZ3u8b4
>>
File: 1463966499613.jpg (42 KB, 623x623) Image search: [Google]
1463966499613.jpg
42 KB, 623x623
>>3330241
The intro from the jap original was cut out, ending dialog with Dr.Wily was changed from the jap version for no reason, the robot masters are intentionally piss easy so that there could be a boss rush at the end, and the game came out two years after megaman x and somehow had worse graphics and sound.
>>
It started when the game got expensive. The same thing happened for MM5 and X3. As soon as they got super pricy all three of those games started to get shit on.
>>
>>3330895
I first beat than game on a 10 dollar chink repro. This is my post>>3330838
>>
>>3330937
These threads are not even remotely similar, kiddo.
>>
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES!?

>>3299378

>>3299378

>>3299378

>>3299378

>>3299378

I like MM but stop spamming threads like you've gone full retard, niggers.
>>
>>3330938
> what is general

> kiddo
This is 18+ board.
>>
>>3330241
>How did it start?

Good question, anon. I think at the time the general public were sick of the normal Mega Man (even 4-6 are often considered 'meh' in the mainstream) so the idea of 7 post-MMX turned a lot of people off. That's unfair as shit but I think that's how the game has that reputation.

Also, it really isn't quite as good as X. It's very different, but damn X1 and 2 are hard to compete with.
>>3330580
>>3330621
>>3330698
My ningens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTUpE3o39DI
>>
>bawww sprites are too big!
I never got this shit argument.
Probably because I played the GB games mostly, but 7's sprites seemed fine to me, especially considering that the game is made AROUND the bigger sprites. It's not like they ask you to try and do shit that you can't because the sprites are bigger now.
It's not like the enemies took advantage of most of the play area in the NES anyways, unless you were facing some flying fucker, and fuck those assholes anyways in a series where you can't shoot up with your basic weapon.
>>
It started when capcom made a shitty game.
>>
>>3330967
Yeah if there's any meme opinion it's really that the sprites are too big. I only recently started getting into the series and I was expecting the worst of this game and I can't say I ever once thought "well this would be better if the sprites were smaller!" The only problem I really had with it was that it was hard to tell when to jump at the edge of a platform because of the running animation.
>>
>>3330838
>boss rush at the end
Wait, you mean the thing that every Mega Man game did? You being able to kill them with thier weaknesses before Wily has always been a thing.
>>
I always assumed the hatred for MM7 and 8 was because X-babies were angry that there now super serious series was still in "competition" with the classic games, which were colorful and whimsical (read: for babies and therefore bad).

Ironically, people absolutely hated Legends 1 because it WASN'T just like the Classic series when it first came out.
>>
It won't be a meme for long; Mighty no 9 has literally gotten people to say that every Mega Man game was gold. I never thought I'd see the day when people legitimately try to claim that X7 and X8 were good games that people where tricked into thinking were bad.
>>
>>3331447

Idiots have been trying to assert that X8 was a good game since release sadly enough. Their entire argument being that it's not as broken as the previous two games which is entirely irrelevant when the pacing for X8 is so abysmal that it is genuinely sleep inducing.
>>
>>3330241
MM7 is based m8.
>>
>>3331375
people only hate mm7 because it's not 8bit anymore, same with mm8 and m&b
>>
>>3330423
>it is said that it only had a development period of around 3 monthes

If that's true at all, that's really fucking impressive then because 7 has a shit ton of content, secrets and polish.
>>
File: 1367374776350.jpg (29 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1367374776350.jpg
29 KB, 368x368
MM7 is my favorite entry. Great music, great stage design and fun bosses. (That fight against Bass when he merges with Trebble is fucking great.)

MM1-6, MM9 and MM10 are overrated trash and there are literally miles better NES games to play

MM8 is weird and bad though. That soccer ball kills me
>>
Outside of shitty snowboard sections and awful voice acting Dr. Light is a treat to listen to, though , 8 is pretty solid.
>>
>>3331963
>>MM1-6, MM9 and MM10 are overrated trash

Wow you have really shit taste
>>
>>3330241
It's a great game, just somewhat easier IMO (for Mega Man standards). I remember the final boss against Willy being difficult, however.

>>3330967
>>bawww sprites are too big!

I'm yet to see a meme that transcends the stupidity of this one.
>>
File: Where do you think we are.jpg (290 KB, 578x744) Image search: [Google]
Where do you think we are.jpg
290 KB, 578x744
>>3330698
Search Man theme, all day err day. Aqua Man in close second. Megaman 8's soundtrack is just so damn chilled out and soothing, it's fucking great. Very much a product of its time though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIGMO_x0pE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8al0f4nmI
>>
>>3332082
>I remember the final boss against Willy being difficult, however.

I played through the entire MMAC back on the PS2 and that Willy fight was the legit toughest thing since the Yellow Devil
>>
>>3332095
Wily Capsule in MM7 was literally suppose to be the hardest boss fight in the series. I remember reading in the Complete Works book that the lead programmer, Inafune, and the game's director agreed to make Wily so hard that even they couldn't beat him without using E-Tanks.
>>
>>3330241
As someone that was online and part of the MM fandom before X5 was even a thing, the game didn't seem to really have much hate back in the past. Most people gushed over MM2 or X1 / X3, but MM7 was pretty solid. It was the game that essentially kicked off sprite ripping, due to all the comics it spawned.

I don't recall seeing much hate for the sprite size as a major opinion until MM9 era, which was where "le retro gamers" started pouring out of the woodwork demanding some second childhood or something. Then it seemed to escalate into some ultimate reason as to why the series should never return to 16-bit sprites, despite the X series having some amazing work, and Wily Wars being almost 1:1 conversion.

Speaking of, how come nobody has really tried to edit Mega's sprite in MM7, and change it to either the NES version, or replace it with the Wily Wars version? Something smaller and more in line with what people are used to? Changing the hitbox would probably be a breeze with options these days, I would imagine.

I know people did that with RM7 Demake, and people claimed it made the game suddenly playable and enjoyable.
>>
>>3331963
Here's a (You)
>>
>>3330423
Character sprites look fine in Mega Man 7 and everything looks like its scaled to suit Mega Man's sprite.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.