[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Psone rpgs too easy ? Which one is the hardest ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: xenogears10.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
xenogears10.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
Are Psone rpgs too easy ?
Which one is the hardest ?
>>
>>3328812
Is there such a thing as a hard rpg? It's more a question of how much grinding is required. Xenogears and Dragoon threw in those QTE type thingies but they're always either relatively easy like those two or end up being pointless like the ones in Vagrant Story.

RPGs and especially JRPGs appeal to gamers with little skill and that's a fact that sort of came to light naturally there in the late 90s but there's no need to be ashamed of it now there are almost no single player games that require skill.
>>
>>3328812
Most are easy, yes. The Saga Frontier games can be pretty tough as grinding won't save your ass. I've heard people complain about Hoshigami's difficulty too, though I haven't played it.
And finally Star Ocean 2 has multiple difficulty levels to unlock and the harder one is a real bitch.
>>
Wizardry 4 Original Mode as part of Wizardry Legacy of LLylgamyn
>>
>>3328812
Dragon Warrior 7 has a perfect difficulty to it.
The only bullshit boss in it is the HellCloud. God fucking damn I hate that bastard.
>>
Well, you can get your whole party nuked in Shin Megami Tensei in two turns, so I think that's either the hardest or the cheapest.
Anyway, there's no such thing as a "hard" RPG, just RPGs with "hard" moments, like the Battle of South Moundtop, "Draw your Sword, Ramza", etc.
>>
>>3328820
I think this is rather something inherent to jRPGs. Most wRPGs, on the other hand, often do not offer a reasonable way for grinding and you end up having to rely on a strategy and on the management of resources (spells, items, etc.) in order to survive a difficult area.

It's probably why they are so unpopular, while jRPGs are completely mainstream.
>>
Mana Khemia is the only game I know that caps you based on progress. It accomplishes this by requiring certain items to level up, and these items are impossible to make without being at a certain chapter.

What other games cap in this manner?
>>
>>3328895
Most WRPGs can be ground too but it's often much less efficient plus WRPGs encourage creative thinking and offer multiple ways to succeed, some of which are guaranteed to be "broken" enough to be superior to grinding.
>>
>>3328896
In Chrono Cross you can only truly level up by beating bosses and progressing the story, there's also a limited ability to grind up stats between battles. The game is still fairly easy overall but I always thought it was a cool system.
>>
>>3328812
>>3328820
If you can overcome any obstacle in a game by "just grind a bit more", it's a shitty game.

RPGs, for the most part, are less action-focused, so in turn they should (in my opinion) be more strategy-focused. The easiest cop-out way of difficulty scaling is to force the player to grind. It's an old, outdated method of getting the player to clock literally days worth of playtime into a single game. There are better ways to do it (like, you know, making a good fucking game), but this is just the easiest.

Instead, the player should be focusing more on what weapons or spells to use and when. Smart decision making. Like actual fucking tabletop RPGs, of which the JRPG genre owes everything to. Not play a numbers game. Numbers are necessary for balance, but games shouldn't boil down entirely to that.
>>
>>3328812
Final Fantasy Tactics, but only on your first play through.
>>
File: wizardry 4.jpg (96 KB, 584x892) Image search: [Google]
wizardry 4.jpg
96 KB, 584x892
>>3328820
>Is there such a thing as a hard rpg?
Yes and anyone who says otherwise has no fucking clue what they're talking about. W4 isn't just a hard RPG, it's one of the hardest video games ever.
>>
>>3329227
This. Also I think one of the main flaws of the average turn based RPG (specially Jrpgs) is that the position of your party doesn't matter aside from simple shit like putting characters on the front row or back row.
>>
>>3329414
How dare you for posting that
>>
File: Belenus.jpg (250 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Belenus.jpg
250 KB, 768x1024
>>3328812
Valkyrie Profile is pretty hard and like legitimate you can't grind out of this one hard. The tight time limit keeps you from grinding to far and in the end its honestly items and abilities that make the difference in that game WHICH break after some many uses (most of them anyway) so grinding often puts you at a disadvantage.
>>
>>3328820
>Is there such a thing as a hard rpg? It's more a question of how much grinding is required.
That old chestnut? We don't have to go to the memegame extremes of Wizardry 4 to debunk such nonsense. I'd argue that if one has to grind to get past a certain point then it is their punishment for being too shit at the game to figure out a legit strategy thus proving they're not up to the difficulty level of the game.
>>
File: k0Qri5d.jpg (198 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
k0Qri5d.jpg
198 KB, 1280x960
When I first got it, I thought Legend of Legaia was the hardest JRPG I'd ever played. That first Mist castle must've killed me a dozen times and I always felt like I was treading water, just barely surviving in it.

...it turns out that it's just a game that DEMANDS grinding to play and once you're okay with that, it gets easier and fast. But still, it's probably one of the most difficult PS1 RPGs.
>>
>>3329414
>>3330753
Okay. Well as you would have seen if you read my entire post, I'm referring generally to JRPGs. Are there even any WRPGs on Playstation? Also, if you "argue that if one has to grind to get past a certain point then it is their punishment" you'd lose as many games expect and require grinding or expect their dungeons to take more wandering around in. Playstation may actually have been the beginning of JRPGs NOT necessarily requiring grinding even to get to the second town, which may be the simple reason OP asked if they were "too easy" to begin with.
>>
>>3328895
>so unpopular
>Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are bestsellers even in Japan
>in global sales charts jrpgs are pretty much gone outside of Japan, only Japanese rpgs are either sim rpgs like Fire Emblem, MMOs or action RPG like Dark Souls - and hell, even in Japan only classic jrpg thing that sells is Dragon Quest
90's called, they want their conventional market wisdom back.
>>
>>3333359
Well they can't have it back
>>>/v/
>>
>>3333364
>implying /v/ has anything to do with videogames anymore
>>
This dude >>3333359 is right though, skyrim was a huge hit in Japan which is why we're seeing so many open world Japanese titles recently.
>>
>>3328895

It depends, Breath of Fire 3 was changed in the west so you encounter less enemies. But maybe that was an improvement in that case, it's not a hard game and grinding isn't required.

Or, perhaps they adjusted it so you get more EXP, because japs are supposed to be more harcore players and can take annoyingly high encounter rates.
>>
>>3333382
>skyrim was a huge hit in Japan
As a waifu builder.
>>
>>3333525
Actually they mostly play the console version, which didn't even allow sexy character mods. The waifus you see are from Korean modders.
>>
>>3333359
>Witcher 3
>Fallout 4

/vr/ - Retro Games
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.