[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western-developed NES games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: tmaster.gif (4 KB, 48x99) Image search: [Google]
tmaster.gif
4 KB, 48x99
Can I get some good recommendations for NES games made by American or Euro/British devs? I was thinking about it and most of my favorite NES games were done by Japanese studios, and I'd like some suggestions for games worth playing. Not necessarily masterpieces, just stuff that isn't crap.

Pic related, I enjoyed Treasure Master.
>>
File: OutOfThisWorldCover.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1524) Image search: [Google]
OutOfThisWorldCover.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1524
Just don't mind the bad box art.
>>
>>3326113
Startropics, it's NoA-exclusive game.
>>
File: another-world-packshot.png (875 KB, 712x999) Image search: [Google]
another-world-packshot.png
875 KB, 712x999
>>3326119
post the good cover then
>>
Battletoads.

Solar Jetman.
>>
>>3326164
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
Anything by Rareware
Startropics series
Rad Gravity
Paperboy
A Boy and His Blob
Gauntlet
Lode Runner
Maniac Mansion
Might and Magic
Ultima series
Deja Vu, Uninvited, Shadowgate
Prince of Persia
Smash TV
Wizardry series
>>
>>3326132
>>3326194
>Startropics
That's a Japanese game.

Most ultima ports are also by Japanese developers, but at least the original is from America.
>>
File: Silver_Surfer_NES_box.jpg (79 KB, 364x521) Image search: [Google]
Silver_Surfer_NES_box.jpg
79 KB, 364x521
>>
File: wizards-warriors-nes.png (6 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
wizards-warriors-nes.png
6 KB, 256x240
>>3326113
The Wizards & Warriors series. Especially the criminally underrated third one.
>>
>>3326194
Japs handled the NES conversions of Deja Vu, Shadowgate, ect.
>>
>>3326113
Solstice
>>
>>3326119
>bad

That's amazing box art, the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>3326119
It's just inaccurate to the game. Technically, it's not badly drawn outside the odd composition. That being said, >>3326140 of course is a lot more effective (and relevant).
>>
>>3326306
>OhYou.jpg
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 186x270) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 186x270
>>3326113
Times of Lore. Not amazing, but one of the few completely seamless RPGs out there, with the freedom to do as you want through the whole game. Want to attack townspeople? You can! Just the movement is a pain in the ass to get used to.

I don't know why, but I find having the towns being integrated with the world map (instead of walking into a TOWN icon) really damn impressive.
>>
>>3326119
>"revolutionizes" gaming by having pretty cinematics and no gameplay
>BEST GAME EVER. 10/10 PERFECT MASTERPIECE

Good fucking God, why do game journalists always do this?

See also: Half-Life, Myst, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid
>>
Super Turrican, Asterix and Smurfs are all nice. Nothing too special, besides the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTxZchmHmBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvneI9hDWAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOcK-JcNbo
>>
>>3326779
>Half-life
>No gameplay
I get that it's circlejerked to oblivion but it isn't even close to Myst as far as non gameplay
>>
>>3326974
I heard super turrican was programmed to run properly on both PAL and NTSC consoles, any idea if this is true? I'd like to play it but I know PAL optimized NES games are far less playable than NTSC games on PAL hardware.
>>
File: F.jpg (159 KB, 380x695) Image search: [Google]
F.jpg
159 KB, 380x695
>>3326119
>>
>>3327350
Its true, you can test it in emulator(load the rom and make sure its running in non-PAL mode).
>>
>>3326779
Why so edgy edgelord? Liking popular or high rated games isn't a bad thing. Stop caring that others have opinions and enjoy those games. They are great and you know it.
>>
>>3326113
Is this the greatest walk cycle of all time?
>>
File: 3-dsb081908b.gif (8 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
3-dsb081908b.gif
8 KB, 125x125
>>3330505
It's up there
>>
Elite is brilliant.
>>
>>3333208
on the NES? The 3D engine is wobbly and slow, the menu is a mess. Well, the interface itself is brilliant, the developer was a genius mapping the original controls to that. It's still convoluted, because the NES controls are so limited. The game is very ill-fitting for the platform
>>
>>3326194
>Lode Runner
Incorrect. While the original Lode Runner was created by Douglas E Smith, the NES version was developed by Hudson Soft (and artificially linked to Bomberman).
Yes the levels are entirely the same as Smith's version but this port was entirely handled by Hudson and was in fact the first 3rd party release for the Famicom in Japan.
>>
>>3333287
This is the case with almost all the ports of broderbund games on NES, including karateka and spelunker. The conversions were done by Japanese devs.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.