[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rhg/ Retro Handheld General: Not Even My Final Form Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 50
Previous thread: >>>3282207

Feel free to discuss vintage handheld consoles in general, including the Nintendo Gameboy family, Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, etc.

ToT: How many accessories can you cram on a handheld before it becomes "handheld"?
>>
File: 751.jpg (54 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
751.jpg
54 KB, 500x667
>>3325146
>>
By the way, does anyone have the screencap of that one Anon whe crammed a Game Genie, Game Shark, Mega Memory Card, complete Handy Boy, and a battery booster pac all onto a gameboy with pokemon yellow, and then plugged it all into a N64 transfer card?
>>
This is the stupidest general idea I have ever seen.
>>
>>3325161
The /rhg/, or the accessories side discussion?
>>
>>3325146
There's already a ROM Hacking General that's been using /rhg/ for a long time. You might want to come up with a different name.
>>
>>3325347
Oh shit, how did we not notice that last thread?
We were /gg/ (Gameboy general) but we decided to include other handhelds.

Is /hhg/ good? (HandHeld General?)
>>
>>3325386
You might also consider /hgg/ Handheld Gaming General or /pgg/ Portable Gaming General.
>>
>>3325430
/hgg/ sounds good.
>>
I had op pic related. It was awesome. I didnt use the dpad+button part though, just the light+mag.
>>
>>3325463
How well did it light the screen?

I know my wormlight causes a big glare.
>>
So, how do you guys store your games?
I've been using this chest I got when I was little.
Problem is, now I have so many games that the gameboys themselves don't fit anymore.
>>
File: 5569.png (2 MB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
5569.png
2 MB, 1080x810
>>3325491
oops, image
>>
File: 8538.jpg (1 MB, 2706x2446) Image search: [Google]
8538.jpg
1 MB, 2706x2446
>>3325495
Also, here's my collection.
How's my taste? Recommendations?
>>
File: 20160629_220806.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160629_220806.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
I finished repairing another Game Gear today, this time using only caps that I ordered from Mouser instead of using a kit. The audio caps I ordered were a lot bigger than I was expecting and it was a challenge to fit them in, but I managed. The system sounds very loud and clean now, and the screen is nice and bright.

I'm going to be using this Game Gear's housing for my McWill screen mod, but since the screen itself is in such nice condition I'm going to swap the motherboard with a Game Gear I recapped earlier that has a rotten screen.
>>
File: gsw_handygear_large.jpg (130 KB, 568x790) Image search: [Google]
gsw_handygear_large.jpg
130 KB, 568x790
>>3325147
You gotta love how these terrible accessories seem to exist solely for the purpose of making the system as un-portable as possible. What Nintendo spent years engineering to be small enough to fit in your pocket, Mad Catz and other companies would happily destroy for about $10.
>>
>>3325516
Nice.

I'd also recommend cleaning the dpad/buttons.
Soak 'em in hot soapy water and then use a toothpick to scrub everything off.
>>
File: 1389724969934.jpg (45 KB, 431x421) Image search: [Google]
1389724969934.jpg
45 KB, 431x421
>>3325525
Same.

I actually kind want to build one of these handheld tower's of power and play one in public just for the hell of it.
>>
File: thisaintevenmyfinalform.jpg (2 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
thisaintevenmyfinalform.jpg
2 MB, 2322x4128
>>3325146
Get on my level
>>
>>3325560
Yes, this is what I'm talking about!

Also, seconding this >>3325158
>>
>>3325560
>pulsepak

but why
>>
>>3325529
Yeah I cleaned them with soap and water and a toothbrush. They still look dirty though, because of wear. I might try buffing / sanding them with fine grit model sandpaper when I open up the system again for the screen mod, especailly since I'm going to be washing the whole system body in soap and water (I'll have to remove the speaker somehow if I do that, though, which might be tricky).

I also cleaned all the contacts with windex, although the 1 button was having problems which I discovered to be from corrosion. I was able to get it working good as new by cleaning it with a pink eraser, though.
>>
>>3325146
Had the gameboy color version of this. worked really great, right up until it broke a few months down the line. the analog stick pressed on the d-pad with thin, little claws and 2 of them snapped off from stress. still a cool concept, even if the design itself was bad.
>>
>>3325630
Try a toothpick before the sandpaper.

It worked real well for me.
>>
>>3325654
Like i said, the buttons and D-pad are a lot cleaner than they look. If a toothbrush and dish soap aren't going to make the sides look smooth, then buffing / polishing / sanding is the only option left.
>>
>>3325663
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>3325681
Hey, it's worth I try I guess.
>>
File: IMG_20160630_014337~01.jpg (1 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_014337~01.jpg
1 MB, 4160x3120
>>3325502
Jelly of that Faceball and metal gear. I'm currently waiting on GB boy any a copy of Tetris in the mail. One game i can really recommend is the joust and defender combo defender plays really well on the GBC.
>>
>>3325483
Its probably been at least 20 years since I used it, but I remember loving it.

Sure, it probably lit the screen like ass or had glare or whatever, but it was better than the alternative at the time, sitting next to a lamp and having to keep sitting at the same angle the wntire time.

Way better these days to get a moded og gameboy or a gameboy light or whatever.
>>
>>3325956
Thanks.

I'm considering getting another copy or two of Faceball so I can play it with a friend.
Problem is, I don't have the 4 player adapter and my link cable crapped out.
>>
File: 0099.jpg (88 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
0099.jpg
88 KB, 640x420
>>
File: 1464144979258.jpg (68 KB, 800x881) Image search: [Google]
1464144979258.jpg
68 KB, 800x881
>>
Would it somehow be possible to make a super gameboy from a gameboy color?
>>
>>3327923
From or for?

Considering that the super gameboy was a complete gameboy in a cart, a color should be doable.

That said, I have no idea how to get such a device to work.
>>
File: 1467156133258.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1467156133258.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hello /vr/

I have posted this in the /repair/ thread ut no one have replied me besies a guy who told me to look into the layers where the leak had occured

I have a Game and watch JR-55 that has some stains in the screen. It have been kept in his box for more than ten years and doesnt know what this could be (pic related).

i your opinion, how can i repr this, what is happening, it is repairable or im fuck?
>>
>>3328032
Uh, looks like dirt in your pic, but it's too blurry for me to tell.

I guess what I would do is very carefully take it apart and give the screen a gentle cleaning.
>>
>>3328062
What can i use to clean it?

is there any tutorials or manual to dismantle it?

i ask, as i havent found any for the Game and watch Double screen

Thanxs dude
>>
>>3328032

I think that's screen rot. Pretty much like rust but on the LCD. I think you're fucked but i dunno you might want a second opinion, and me too.
>>
>>3328137
>>3328062

Found a guide about the Game and Watch hand-helds, and yes it appear to be dots in the LCD so indeed im fucked unless i ge he exact same device and replace the LCD.

Here is the source if it is for some use to someone.

http://www.ditismanus.nl/mikesnintendogamewatchfaq.pdf

Thanxs for the help
>>
>>3326648
I'm trying to get 4 copies of Faceball to get 4 player to happen. Halfway there.
>>
File: WSWGateback.jpg (15 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
WSWGateback.jpg
15 KB, 300x240
>>3327904
They had one of these for the Wonder Swan that actually came out. "WonderMobile Gate" was the name. I'm pretty sure that was the main gimmick of one of the Digimon games.
>>
File: 21203.png (4 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
21203.png
4 KB, 320x288
So I thought I was finally getting somewhat competent at Super Columns, and out of curiosity decided to look at "Story Mode." This game is evil.

Overall I'd say that while I think Tetris is better, Columns is a pretty solid alternative and it takes good advantage of the GG's color screen. My favorite non-Tetris puzzle game is still Lumines but that's a modern game.
>>
File: IrZGx3D.jpg (271 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IrZGx3D.jpg
271 KB, 1632x1224
I've been toying with the idea of buying a broken Atari Lynx 2 as a project, and I just installed a Lynx emulator to have a look at some of the games to see if it's something I could get into. Does anyone here have any recommendations? I think there are less than 100 games for the system but it'd be nice to narrow it down to the must-play titles.
>>
>>3328314
Maybe we could meet up and do 6 player?
>>
>>3328327
The port of S.T.U.N. Runner is surprisingly competent. I also recommend Chip's Challenge, it's the original version.
>>
File: crystal-mines-ii-usa-europe.png (370 KB, 752x480) Image search: [Google]
crystal-mines-ii-usa-europe.png
370 KB, 752x480
>>3328327
Robotron and Crystal Mines II are good
>>
File: Nintendo-Game-Boy-1989-010.jpg (34 KB, 400x517) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-Game-Boy-1989-010.jpg
34 KB, 400x517
I had one of these as a kid, haven't had one in decades. Should I pick up another one or was it just nostalgia goggles?

Would I be better off getting a color or even an SP for original GB games?
>>
>>3328667
Get a pocket, a Color, or a GBA of some kind.
>>
>>3325560
sexy
>>
The Gameboys prior to the Color have a lot of ghosting when anything moves. People tout the Pocket and Light as having less ghosting than the original but it still looks pretty bad to me compared to the Color and GBAs.
>>
>>3328667
GBA SP is the way to go.

There's two kinds, the side-lit original model and the backlit AGS-101 model. The AGS looks like it should by all rights be the far superior one, but I personally prefer the side-lit for one reason: the AGS has a laggy LCD and any motion turns the screen into a smeary mess.
>>
>>3328721
>GBA SP is the way to go.
way to hell, maybe
>>
>>3328667
If you're going to do the bivert and backlight mod then go for it. It's a great handheld.
>>
File: IMG_20160610_180520_343.jpg (670 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_180520_343.jpg
670 KB, 1456x2592
>>3328667
It's still great if you mod it
>>
>>3328327
I recently watch a retrospective on the Atari Lynx and I was mildly impressed for how advanced the system was for it's time. Fucking thing could do sprite scaling and everything. And the option to flip the whole machine for left handed players was a neat touch.
>>
>>3329135
>I was mildly impressed for how advanced the system was for it's time
The GB was successful because it was not advanced. Every single system trying to compete with it went with more advanced hardware and fell flat because as a result it either missed portable capabilities or price, sometimes both
>>
>>3329159
The Game Gear was quite popular in its heyday. People have this misconception that it was a failure just because Sega had discontinued it before the Pokemon craze, which is what allowed the Gameboy to continue its massive success well into the late 90s. 20 million units was a very solid second place, especially in the US where the handheld race was much closer in the early to mid 90s.
>>
File: e3-gamecube-5.jpg (57 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
e3-gamecube-5.jpg
57 KB, 500x350
>>3328319
That's really cool, I had no idea any of that kind of functionality existed until I saw that image. Did the Game Boy adapter actually get released or was that just a prototype?
>>
>>3329592
Wrong image, I'm a dipshit.
>>
>>3327906
fffffffffffffff

I wanted one so bad as a kid. My parents wouldn't let me have a TV as a kid, but I had a game gear. Too bad I could never find one.
>>
>>3329598
Is that a color, gb boy, frontlit sp, and backlit sp?
>>
File: retial_display.jpg (250 KB, 1600x1085) Image search: [Google]
retial_display.jpg
250 KB, 1600x1085
>>
>>3329598
Is the GB boy worth it? I like the backlight but is the aspect ratio a deal breaker to you? I feel like It'll become a distraction.
>>
File: 1375753515106.jpg (1 MB, 1357x2191) Image search: [Google]
1375753515106.jpg
1 MB, 1357x2191
>>3325158
>>
>>3329845
That's it!

Thank you so much Anon!
>>
>>3325525
Man, I always had some of this goofy stuff. I like how that one is made by STD's and features gooey splats. The 5 year old in me is giggling. Actually using that shell is no laughing matter though. So crap.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>3329434
>The Game Gear was quite popular in its heyday
less than a tenths the sales figures of the GB, and that's the closest alternative to it. It was also quite accepted that the GGs adoption was hindered by the low battery life and high price, just like every other handheld
>>
>>3329592
I'm not aware of the Gameboy cellphone adapter ever being released. That was one of those things Nintendo was always toying with the idea of but it never really went anywhere. You could definitely tell they were thinking about it though, like how in Pokemon Gold and Silver your character has a cell phone. I can easily see how Nintendo might have been considering making it so that you could send messages to other friends using the cell phone adapter, but since most kids back then didn't have phones it would have been a bit impractical, since they'd constantly be asking to borrow their parents' to check for messages.
>>
File: 1506490-sega_game_gear_bleue.jpg (46 KB, 700x429) Image search: [Google]
1506490-sega_game_gear_bleue.jpg
46 KB, 700x429
>>3330094
>less than a tenths the sales figures of the GB

You miss the part where I mentioned that the GB was on the market for twice as long as the Game Gear, and that the Game Gear was discontinued before pokemon. People have this perception that the Gameboy and Game Gear came out at the same time, and that the Gameboy instantly sold 120 million units and the Game Gear only sold 20 million, therefore the Game Gear was the "loser" and the Gameboy was the runaway winner. That isn't even slightly accurate.

At the peak of the Game Gear's popularity it was nearly outselling the Gameboy in the USA. The Gameboy was a strange phenomena because despite being very outdated technology by the mid 90s, it got a second wind that was primarily fueled by the Pokemon craze. Sega didn't plan ahead for a successor to the Game Gear, and when the Game Gear's sales started slowing down near the end of the 4th generation they quietly discontinued it while the Gameboy was still selling at a consistent rate.

The GB sold better because it was on shelves for twice as long as the GG and also got a great redesign in the Gameboy Pocket, and its most popular game didn't even come out until the second half of its lifespan. Sega never bothered to make a slimmer version of the Game Gear, which is a shame because technologically the GG was good enough that a slimmed down version could have been competitive with the Gameboy Color despite its age. Sega was just too stretched thin by that point with all the platforms they had been supporting, and decided to focus exclusively on supporting only one home console.
>>
>>3330316
>You miss the part
I don't

>People have this perception
I don't. Nice straw man though.

>despite being very outdated technology
because of it

>The GB sold better because it was on shelves for twice as long as the GG
twice the time, 10-times the sales
>>
>>3330330
You are filibustering to avoid any of the points I made. Good day sir.
>>
>>3330339
>any of the points I made
you made none worth addressing
>>
>>3330345
You ignore simple math. The Game Gear did not co-exist with Pokemon, and Pokemon is when the Gameboy enjoyed a massive spike in sales. You keep repeating the popular buzz-line of "the Game Gear only got 1/10 of the Game Boy's sales, therefore it was a failure." It still sold 20 million units which is more than any other non-Nintendo handheld prior to the PSP. The Gameboy was a very unusual handheld in how long it lasted, but that does not actually take away from how well the Game Gear did for a challenger from a smaller company. The Game Gear sold well for the one generation that Sega supported it, while Nintendo re-launched the Gameboy not once but three times (Play it Loud, Pocket, and the launch of Pokemon).

Here's the part where you respond with a broken sentence that doesn't actually address any of what I just wrote.
>>
>>3330372
>The Gameboy was a very unusual handheld in how long it lasted
because of its choice of hardware, price point and library. All things the competitors neglected
>>
>>3330372
You gotta admit, you can't just say that one system had more consistent sales for a longer period of time than another and then call that irrelevant.

Obviously you're just gonna call me stupid though, so I suggest we move on and discuss something else.
>>
>>3330378
The Game Gear had a library of about 400 games by the time it was discontinued, which is quite comparable to where the Gameboy was at during the same year of its life cycle. Compare that to the Atari Lynx, which only had 80 games, and it puts things into perspective how much better off the Game Gear was. Sega recognized the importance of software, but what they did not recognize was the importance of making the system smaller and more battery efficient. Of course, the idea of a pocket version of the Game Gear is all speculation so isn't really relevant.

>>3330410
The reason it's important to mention how exceptional the Gameboy was is because people have this mentality that there are no silver medals when it comes to game sales. Look at almost any video channel on Youtube that primarily reviews Nintendo games, and they will always frame videos about the Game Gear through the lense of "so why did it fail?" even though it wasn't actually a failure.

The real failure of Sega when it came to handheld gaming was that they were hoping that the Sega Nomad could be positioned as a successor to the Game Gear. The technology for a portable Genesis just plain wasn't there though, and developers didn't see any value in continuing to support the Genesis when the next generation of consoles was upon them. Not to mention that the Nomad system itself was barely even portable, let alone the Genesis game cartridges. Ultimately Sega opted to just sell it as a Toys R Us exclusive and decided to give up on portables. If they had instead released a smaller, more battery efficient version of the Game Gear they probably could have kept it going for another few years.
>>
>>3330438
Alright, fair enough.
>>
>>3330438
>what they did not recognize was the importance of making the system smaller and more battery efficient
>they were hoping that the Sega Nomad could be positioned as a successor to the Game Gear
>the Nomad system itself was barely even portable
thanks for completely confirming my point. Just in case you missed it:
>The GB was successful because it was not advanced. Every single system trying to compete with it went with more advanced hardware and fell flat because as a result it either missed portable capabilities or price, sometimes both
In other word, when it actually became viable for the GG to compete with the GB, its developer considered it obsolete, and replaced it with something that made the exact same mistake. Missing the price point and portable capabilities. The idea of a "pocket GG" never even entered their minds

>people have this mentality
and yet another straw man for good measure
>>
File: 250px-Watara_Supervision.jpg (17 KB, 250x414) Image search: [Google]
250px-Watara_Supervision.jpg
17 KB, 250x414
>>3330592
I contest the notion that the GG was a mistake at all though. There were plenty of handhelds that tried to do exactly what the Gameboy did, which is to use cheap, out of date parts and they focused on undercutting Nintendo for things like price point and battery life. You never see anyone talk about those systems though, because they were completely forgotten and they had absolutely nothing to make them stand out other than being cheaper than the Gameboy. You have probably never even heard of the Super Vision, even though it was a handheld that was made "the right way," whereas Game Gear was everywhere despite being made "the wrong way."

The reason the Game Gear was competitive is because despite being a more expensive unit, it was a much more impressive piece of technology and offered a more console-like experience on the go than the Gameboy. As stated before, Nintendo had a lockdown on the market for cheap black and white handhelds. Sure Sega could have tried making one, but no-one would have noticed it.

They instead decided to focus on outbidding Nintendo for tech while keeping the system more affordable than the Atari Lynx, and thus they were able to find a niche that Nintendo didn't occupy, and finding niches that Nintendo didn't occupy was one of the biggest reasons for Sega's success in the early 90s.

Sega's downfall in the mid 90s came from making poor predictions as to which way the markets were changing. You can see this with their clumsy entry into the 32 bit era, but you can also see it with how they handled the successor to the Game Gear. They could have kept the Game Gear line going if they had just made a pocket sized version and possibly added FM sound support, and that would have been enough to vastly outclass the Gameboy or just about anything else available in the mid 90s. Instead they made a hodge-podged portable Genesis and had so little confidence in the product that they abandoned it.
>>
>>3330620
>I contest the notion that the GG was a mistake at all though
accepted

>Nintendo had a lockdown on the market for cheap black and white handhelds
also accepted, luck of being the draw, I suppose

>I think it's a nice way to join the two trilogies
and also accepted

peace
>>
>>3328721
Theyre both ags. Ags001 for side lit and ags101 for backlit.
>>
So my McWill Game Gear screen arrived today. Unfortunately I can't work on it right now, but I will keep you guys posted.
>>
>>3332186
Good luck!
>>
File: 1425760521968.jpg (94 KB, 688x917) Image search: [Google]
1425760521968.jpg
94 KB, 688x917
>tfw you will never own the ultimate GB swag
>>
File: IMG_0003-1.jpg (77 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003-1.jpg
77 KB, 600x800
>>3332326

You got ripped off, cuck.
>>
>>3329787
I want one of things so badly, it would look so good in a gameroom and I'd play the fuck out of it. The price on one if you ever find them is crazy but absolutely worth it I'm sure.
>>
>>3333318
I feel like it would be better (at their pricepoint) to just make a repro of one with a super gameboy and an old broken gameboy for the controller.
>>
>>3328032
Could be fungus. I don't know how that screen is constructed but attempt cleaning it. Be careful with cleaning solutions as they can whiten the plastics.
>>
>>3333553
I guess so, its a shame that afaik no one really knows how to display video from a gb like that.
>>
>>3334442
Sure they do, TV-out mods have been around since the GB was still being sold on shelves.
>>
>>3334447
Huh, I guess I've just never noticed any then. I was always under the impression that wasn't a known thing. Might have been thinking of something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C990wzFsoho
>tfw your game room will never be even close
>>
Are there any good RPGs for new get pocket/color?
>>
>>3328327
My first gen Lynx still works after all these years and I still have most of my games.

Several of the arcade ports are decent but some have content cut from them to accommodate the hardware.

My favorites:
Gates of Zendocon - shooter with weird enemies and a funny secret level.

Joust - good port of the arcade original

Ninja Gaiden - based off the arcade; great graphics but a bit short because it's missing content

Rampage - adds a rat character and it's easier than the arcade but fun

Robotron: 2084 - good port if you don't miss dual joysticks

Todd's Adventures in Slime World - lots of replay value; an odd side-scrolling adventure with many secret areas

Xenophobe - easier than the arcade version but has a lot of its features

Warbirds - very fun WWII dogfight game

Battlewheels - really cool post apocalyptic vehicle arena combat
>>
>>3330094
The battery life was a deal breaker for me. I remember it being worse than any other handheld I played at the time, though the TurboExpress might have been worse.
>>
>>3328721
Trying to get my hands on an AGS-101 screen, I know they're hard to come by at a decent price.

I want to put the screen and everything else into an original GBA shell. Where's the cheapest place I can buy the screen from, really want to sink my teeth into this project.
>>
>>3337580
You seem like quite the asshole yourself.
>>
File: Snapchat-506540342732490759.jpg (225 KB, 720x1184) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-506540342732490759.jpg
225 KB, 720x1184
>>3325560

Come at me bro!
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 540x960
Sup guys.
>>
>>3337902
not clunky at all
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Happiness
>>
File: Snapchat-8525849715365576703.jpg (283 KB, 720x1184) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8525849715365576703.jpg
283 KB, 720x1184
>>3337761

Another one of mine. Clunk city.
>>
>>3337948
Does the ever drive fit on the DMG?
>>
>>3339069
It should.

The cases have the notch on the back.
>>
File: Everdive GBA.jpg (122 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Everdive GBA.jpg
122 KB, 800x800
It's happening.
>>
>>3339445
Why is another GBA Flashcart a big deal? They've been on the market for like, a decade.
>>
>>3339446
No patching required, and real-time clock support.
>>
>>3339470
Alright, I'll take it. The patching on mine is really fucking annoying.
>>
>>3339445
if its gonna be that fukken huge it better support gyro games
>>
>>3339498
it wont. it's a bit larger than a normal cart, but for the quality it'll be worth it.
>>
>>3339537
>a bit
NIGGA LOOK AT IT
IMAGINE IT IN A MICRO
I want muh warioware
>>
So I just got this for $26 on ebay.
Is it a bootleg? I don't see any of the usual give-aways, but I can't help but worry.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (278 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
278 KB, 1600x1600
>>3341650
Arg, pic
>>
>>3341656
Looks like it might be fake to me, but opening it is the only way to tell.
>>
>>3341658
Well, I get it in two days, I'll check then.

Does ebay normally ask for the item to be shipped back if you ask for a refund?
I'm not gonna pay for a bootleg, but I'd like to keep it to play until I get a real cart.
>>
File: 20160615_152506.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160615_152506.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>3339445
Still not the definitive flashcart a gba nerd would want.
-No gyro (so no twisted, yoshi, or koro koro)
-No solar (not as big a deal since botkai 1-3 have good patches, but still)
-No gc link compat
-No ds link compat (ez4 has this)
-No mp3 support (m3 perfect had)

Does this thing even have themes and the ability to soft reset to the file system like ez4? The low load times, lower battery drain, and ability to play 32mb roms without flashing to NOR is apealing, but fuck not $99 dollars apealing when ez4 is $50 max and does things this thing can't.

t. Gba fanatic
>>
>>3341662
No, if it's a bootleg you won't have to send it back. Ebay will force the seller to refund you.

Listen though, there's a trick to this. If you discover it's a bootleg, DO NOT tell ebay that you opened the cartridge, because then the seller will claim you switched out the PCBs. Use things like the dimensions/quality of the cart, label differences and possibly the lack of a save feature. (One sure-fire way to prove if it's a bootleg is to stick it in a GBA, most Chinese bootlegs use a shitty mold that causes the game to stick out a few millimeters).
>>
>>3341656
Can you open it up? That's the easiest way to find out.
>>
>>3341747
Thanks! I was gonna start by looking at the back.
It should be model no. AGB-002, if it's AGB-004, then it's a bootleg.
I also know to look for things like the software revision number embossed on the label.

>>3341748
Not for another two days. It's still shipping.
>>
File: hamster-games.jpg (272 KB, 1200x672) Image search: [Google]
hamster-games.jpg
272 KB, 1200x672
Does /vr/ like hamster games?
>>
File: gbc_pokemoncenter.jpg (17 KB, 244x377) Image search: [Google]
gbc_pokemoncenter.jpg
17 KB, 244x377
Hi /vr/, could you recommend some GB/GBC/GBA games that can be played in their Japan versions even with no knowledge of the language whatsoever?
>>
File: 98e5c0da.jpg (10 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
98e5c0da.jpg
10 KB, 258x195
>>3341830
If you've played X-Scape, then X (Ekkusu) is simple to play with no knowledge of how to read Japanese.
>>
>>3341837
thanks!
>>
>>3341830
Game & Watch Gallery games (Game Boy Gallery in Japan)
Heiankyo Alien
Mercenary Force
Trip World (good luck finding one that's not a bootleg)
Catrap
Donkey Kong 94 is exactly the same ROM as the US version
Kuru Kururin for the GBA
>>
>>3341830
Mario's Picross 2 is one of the best picross games ever (if you're into that)
>>
File: Drymouth_Nov4 11_49_08.png (4 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
Drymouth_Nov4 11_49_08.png
4 KB, 160x144
>>3343246
Drymouth?
>>
>>3343250
Haven't played it, but looks interesting.

Picross 2 is a pretty standard picross game, but its puzzles and stages are well-made and full of character.
>>
>>3343289
>Haven't played it
fix that. It's action-picross
>>
File: 1467917386541.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1467917386541.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>3341650
>>3341656
Follow up, it's a bootleg.

It's a damn good one though. The game plays without error so far and supports saves.
The only thing that really gives it away is the lack of number stamped on the label and the pcb.

Well, the solid red label too, but that's not obvious unless you've seen the real label, which is very similar.
>>
>>3343468
That is a surprisingly competent bootleg. The last one I saw didn't bother to get the font on the word "Nintendo" correct on the PCB, and they just went with a generic sans serif font like Arial.
>>
>>3343489
No kidding, this is almost an unofficial new batch.
Probably the only bootleg to almost fool me.

I'm still asking for a refund though, despite the high quality and low-ish price.
I didn't pay for a bootleg.
>>
>>3343504
Yeah, I would ask for a refund unless I knew when buying it that it was a bootleg and it was priced appropriately. I picked up a bootleg copy of Minish Cap from a shop and ended up returning it. They marked it down and labeled it as a bootleg when they restocked it.
>>
>>3343504
I think it should have been obvious it was a bootleg just from the first picture and the seller's other items, because GBA games never came in those plastic cases when they were new. Also every single other game that seller listed has a pristine label and is in the same type of case.

I understand why you went ahead and ordered it anyway, because there's really no downside for you, but it's still not that hard to tell. Maybe once they start scratching the labels up a bit and selling one good game in a lot with some shitty licensed ones I'll worry about actually being scammed.
>>
>>3343572
I was kinda hopeful that he was one of those nice sellers who threw in a case with the game.
He also had 99% good feedback, and I have seen second hand games with pristine labels.

Still though, you're right, it's ebay. I should have expected a bootleg.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (8 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
8 KB, 300x225
>>3343581
Here's the kind of colored Mad Catz GBA case that I remember having back in the day.

If you search on AliExpress for something like "Mother 3", most of the bootleg GBA games you'll find there come in the same style of new case.
>>
File: tumblr_l8jyk0T0aR1qzp9weo1_400.jpg (61 KB, 400x506) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l8jyk0T0aR1qzp9weo1_400.jpg
61 KB, 400x506
So, as long as we're talking bootlegs, what's your favorite handheld bootleg?
>>
File: AT9UMTz.jpg (60 KB, 400x403) Image search: [Google]
AT9UMTz.jpg
60 KB, 400x403
>>3344164
>>
>>3341656
>©19993-2001
>>
>>3341732
No backwards compatibility.
>>
File: Doomguy.png (89 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
Doomguy.png
89 KB, 283x244
>>3344386
ITS FROM THE FUTURE
>>
>>3344386
...how the fuck did I not notice that?
>>
>>3344401
How does the Gameboy Micro handle games that use the GBC sound processor, like Street Fighter Alpha 3? Does it still have the GBC sound processor built in, even though it doesn't have the CPU and other components necessary for backward comparability?
>>
>>3341821
I liked Ham-Hams Unite
>>
>>3344560
I play alpha 3 on my micro occasionally, and it doesn't have any sort of audio glitches, but I'm not sure if that's because the game has a way to just use the gba sound instead.
>>3344401
Only gbc games I know of that you can't play on a micro with an ez4 and goomba color are shantae, bugsite, and kirby tnt. Gba everdrive also isn't going to change that.
>>
>>3339069
yes it does : )
>>
>>3344464
Sometimes it's hard to actually read the text when you're looking for pixels and signs of poor printing.
It happens. Just don't let it happen twice.
>>
>>3344605
My man
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (278 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
278 KB, 1600x1195
>>
File: 20160705_145101.jpg (313 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160705_145101.jpg
313 KB, 1280x720
Check it out, guys! Over the 4th of July weekend I installed a McWill screen in my blue Game Gear, and put a brand new real glass lens over it.

I'm very impressed with the results I've gotten. The colors and contrast are far greater than anything the original screen was capable of. It looks emulation sharp. If the emulation look isn't quite to your liking though, the simulated scan lines mode looks amazing. My only real criticism of it is that I wish the thing had a dip switch so I could set scan lines as the default mode, but even so I really like it.

I don't have a Master Gear adapter or any Master System games to test it with, but I suppose it's time I invested in some or get an Everdrive because I want to see how the higher res graphics look and play on this.
>>
File: 20160705_145003.jpg (182 KB, 792x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160705_145003.jpg
182 KB, 792x1080
>>3346050
Even with the non-integer scaling this is the best experience I've ever had playing a Game Gear and it looks a hundred times sharper and cleaner than the original. I will have to do a head-to-head battery test video to compare them. I'm not sure how the McWill screen will do for battery since the scaler chip gets kind of warm after a while, which tells me it has a significant power draw, but I'm optimistic.

The mod is unfortunately pretty challenging to install, so I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you are confident in your soldering abilities and you have a hot air stylus to help with desoldering and soldering tiny surface mount components. The mod will require to to remove, replace, and move certain tiny surface mount resistors and such on the board, which can be a bit intimidating and will require a steady hand and tiny tweezers.

If you can't do it yourself I'd still recommend paying someone to install it for you if you're interested. I paid $100 for the kit and I'd say it was a worthy investment.

I still haven't installed the VGA out but that's a project for another day. For now I'm glad to have the screen and button functions working so well.

I've also got an LED backlight kit on the way for another Game Gear from Handheld Legend. I am not expecting an improvement in picture quality over a stock screen, but it will be interesting to compare the two mods against a stock recapped GG, especially for battery life.
>>
>>3346058
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'm not sure I like the final product, but it really looks quite nice.

I have a GG that probably needs all capacitors changed and I've never used a soldering iron in my life.

Fuck.
>>
File: 20160708_214035 scanlines.jpg (2 MB, 1353x2000) Image search: [Google]
20160708_214035 scanlines.jpg
2 MB, 1353x2000
>>3346065
My phone's camera really can't do it justice. It's something that must be seen in person, but this is the best look I can give you at how it looks (the "wave" is a result of my camera, not the screen itself). I can't stress enough how great the colors on the screen look, especially compared to the original.

The top image is the standard fit-to-aspect-ratio screen setting, and the bottom one is with scanlines enabled. You can also do horizontal integer scaling (which results in minor cropping on the sides of the screen), 1:1 xy integer scaling (which causes a lot of cropping on the top and bottom), and native pixel resolution, which gives you a big border around a very small screen. All except the last one have the option for scanlines. The scanlines look a lot better in real life than they do in this picture, although they're a matter of personal preference. Either mode looks great.
>>
>>3346065
I should also add that a Game Gear can be a bit difficult to replace the caps on if you don't have experience with soldering, since it's mostly surface mount components rather than through hole. I feel that one of the easiest systems to learn soldering on is an Atari 2600 because it has a big board full of off-the-shelf parts that are easy to replace.

If you don't feel like soldering is for you there's always the option of paying someone to recap it. It won't be cheap, but the Game Gear is a very nice handheld if you're willing to put a bit of love and money into getting it back into working order. And if you just want a working Game Gear, buying the Majesco model is a fine option since they generally don't need recapping and they're not too expensive.
>>
So, when filing a counterfeit dispute on ebay, how do you get a refund without shipping the item back?

I see how to dispute, but all of the options require me to ship it back.
>>
>>3346352
Which is fair, isn't it?
You want to keep both the money and the item you don't want?
>>
>>3346816
From Ebay:

Counterfeit items:
If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, the buyer isn't required to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In these cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original shipping, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.
>>
Hey guys, can a Lynx turn on without a game in? My Lynx won't turn on, and I know that, at least a t one point, it could turn on before with a game, and nothing that could've fucked it up has happened to it, it's just sat in a box.
>>
>>3347130
Didn't know about that. Sorry.
Nice to know, though.
>>
>>3329835
TFW GB boy breaks down in less than a week, and the seller doesn't wanna give a refund
>>
>>3329592
One was released in Japan. Only 80,000 units were sold because Pokemon Crystal was the only game that used it and most kids didn't have cell phones at the time.
>>
Is it possible to emulate Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors?
>>
>>3346816
Shipping a counterfeit item would be a crime, even if you're returning it.
>>
>>3329835
Yeah, non-integer nearest neighbor-scaling is cancer. I was very interested in the unit up until I heard about the screen.
>>
>>3349815
what's its resolution anyway? I haven't found anything useful
>>
>>3349820
From what I can tell it's 240p. McWill said that he looked into 480p screens but they would have made the product too expensive. Probably would have been a bigger drain on the battery, too.

Non-integer scaling isn't perfect, but it's still a vast improvement over the original screen. The ability to play Master System games at higher resolutions is also a very welcome tradeoff, particularly for Everdrive users. The original screen is so blurry that you can barely see the individual pixels when nothing is moving, let alone during scrolling.
>>
>>3350423
Master System? blurry? What?
>>
>>3350714
Sorry I thought i was responding to someone else. Ignore!
>>
File: 20160711_134520.jpg (2 MB, 1216x1881) Image search: [Google]
20160711_134520.jpg
2 MB, 1216x1881
A coworker just gifted me his old gameboy. Everything seems to be in working order, the buttons don't stick and I don't mind the yellowed plastic. I would like to replace the missing screen plate though. Any advice?
>>
>>3351824
glass and anti-glare coating
>>
>>3351824
You should put a glass screen lens over it. If it were me I'd take it apart and retrobright the housing to get rid of the yellow, but that's a personal preference.
>>
>>3351830
>>3351836
And resources I can tap to obtain glass of the right shape and size? Would buying a junk gb for parts be advisable?

It's awfully tempting to try leaching the yellow out of the plastic but I'm worried I'll screw it up. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>3351849
replacement screen covers (lenses they're called, I think), including glass ones, are available on ebay and elsewhere
>>
>>3351849
if you want to clean the case, be sure to disassemble it first. Do not try to clean the assembled unit or you might damage components
>>
>>3351849
Go on eBay and look for glass Gameboy DMG screens. Handheld Legend also sells them.

As for the bleaching process, go to your local Sally's Beauty Supplies and ask them for peroxide cream. It comes in a bottle that looks like this. Make sure it's 40 strength, because that's the most powerful they can sell you if you're not a beautician. If you are using the sun to bleach away the yellow, re-apply the peroxide every hour and let it sit in the sun on a bright day for about 4 hours covered in plastic wrap to help keep it from drying out. Re-applying is necessary because the peroxide tends to foam up and dry when it gets warm, and dried out peroxide cream will give you white damaged streaks. Use a brush to apply it, and wear gloves.
>>
>>3351857
>>3351858
>>3351872
Thanks a lot guys. This is kind of exciting. If all goes well, I might be able to surprise a friend with the results!
>>
>>3325147
That game boy got breast implants!
>>
File: boltman xenomorph.jpg (252 KB, 781x900) Image search: [Google]
boltman xenomorph.jpg
252 KB, 781x900
>>3351935
Now that you mention it, there is something disturbingly Freudian about that monstrosity.
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.