[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the ZX Spectrum have any exclusive games? It seems the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
File: ZXSpectrum48k.jpg (440 KB, 2168x1593) Image search: [Google]
ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
440 KB, 2168x1593
Did the ZX Spectrum have any exclusive games?

It seems the main reason why it got so popular was the price of games.

A few pounds for a new game, while a NES game could go for 80GBP.

How big was the productivity push in comparison to gaming?

Most people seems to remember it as a gaming device.
>>
>>3324347
>Did the ZX Spectrum have any exclusive games?
Dizzy series.
>>
>How big was the productivity push in comparison to gaming?
On a rubber keyboard with a terrible layout? You'd have to be desperate to use one.

>It seems the main reason why it got so popular was the price of games.
More like the price of the base unit. Everybody copied that floppy, or in this case tape.
>>
File: pentagon04.jpg (359 KB, 1941x945) Image search: [Google]
pentagon04.jpg
359 KB, 1941x945
>>3324401
>On a rubber keyboard with a terrible layout?
I suppose ZX Spectrum clones were more popular around, so a rubber keyboard wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>3324347
It wasn't worth shit for productivity even with 128K, which is why there was the Sinclair QL line. Also, most games were on standard audio cassettes so most people could just buy a load of blank tapes and copy them off their friends.
>>
Did generation loss from copying tapes ever cause games to be glitched or unplayable?
>>
>>3324859
Remember, at first you should set right speed on your player.
>>
Rubbish. 8-bit computers were toys for children to play games on. People who needed work in the office used an IBM clone or a CP/M machine. There were no IBM clones in the home market here before the 90s.
>>
File: NES-Dizzy.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
NES-Dizzy.png
5 KB, 256x224
>>3324352
Those aren't exclusive to the ZX Spectrum unless you prefer your graphics looking like steaming hot garbage.
>>
REMINDER

http://kotaku.com/5897828/long-lost-emulation-easter-egg-discovered-in-goldeneye
>>
>>3325003
No however the games were developed on the Spectrum originally and designed around its hardware. Besides, there was only that one NES game.

The C64 and Amiga ports of Dizzy were rubbish; don't play those.
>>
File: master system dizzy.png (9 KB, 248x224) Image search: [Google]
master system dizzy.png
9 KB, 248x224
>>3325003
>unless you prefer your graphics looking like steaming hot garbage.
funny you should mention that...
>>
The nice thing about the Speccy is that it's entirely made from TTL. There's no proprietary ICs like in Commodore machines and almost everything in there is still manufactured/readily obtainable aside from the 4116 DRAM however they now have an adapter board to replace it with modern SRAM.

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=147
>>
File: MegaDrive-Dizzy.png (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MegaDrive-Dizzy.png
78 KB, 640x480
>>3325025
Ah, the Master System. You do, then?
>>
File: pcafe.png (9 KB, 309x232) Image search: [Google]
pcafe.png
9 KB, 309x232
>>3324347
>pic related
Yes, Paradise Cafe
>>
File: ParadiseCafe-2.jpg (37 KB, 386x277) Image search: [Google]
ParadiseCafe-2.jpg
37 KB, 386x277
>>3326669
Go back to bed Tibúrcio
>>
>>3326684
ok..
with your MUM
>>
Someone said the Spectrum has better sprites than the C64. What nonsense was he talking about?

Which has worse sound effects and music, the 48k ZX spectrum or the 8088 IBM PC?
>>
>>3324978
CP/M was originally for 8-bit computers though (8080 and Z80). My first machine (Amstrad CPC 6128) even came with both CP/M 2.2 and 3.0 disks.
But without a floppy drive, you couldn't run CP/M. So that rules out a lot of the early budget 8-bit systems, unless you upgraded.
I personally didn't have much use for it, and mostly just used the BASIC ROM as OS. It came in handy a few times though.

As for exlusive Spectrum games, I don't know of any. But there were some later (late 80's and 90's era) Russian clones that probably got a bunch of unique software. Some of them even had upgrades like more memory, hard disk, etc.
>>
File: benny-hill's-madcap-chase.png (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
benny-hill's-madcap-chase.png
4 KB, 256x192
In the early years (1982-1984) you can find more exclusive games for the speccy. Of course, they're usually terrible efforts.

Later on, I do remember some nice exclusive games from Microsphere, like Back to Skool and Contact Sam Cruise. Some other exclusive games I like are Alchemist, Gift From The Gods, and that Benny Hill's game (just for laughs)

Anyway, OP, a list of the kind of games you are looking for is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:ZX_Spectrum-only_games
>>
>>3328391
I think there was a CP/M for the ZX Spectrum but it required a disk drive which most people did not have.
>>
>>3325038
Note though, the Speccy only uses 4116 chips for the lower 16k while the higher memory has 32kx1 chips.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.