[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Momentum or Static Speed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: kidchameleon.png (237 KB, 1405x1047) Image search: [Google]
kidchameleon.png
237 KB, 1405x1047
Hi, /vr/, do you prefer platformers where you build up speed (i.e. Super Mario Bros 3, Sonic) or where you have a set speed when walking/running (i.e. Megaman, Donkey Kong Country)?

Pic related, one of my favorite static speed platformers
>>
I guess I prefer some amount of momentum, but not broken shit like Kid Kool.
>>
File: contra.png (5 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
contra.png
5 KB, 512x448
Static for me.
Messing with momentum was always annoying.

Is Contra a platformer? I like the way Contra controls.
>>
File: KA_Boxart_J.jpg (104 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
KA_Boxart_J.jpg
104 KB, 640x437
>>3323956
Momentum is better. You have to calculate and plan out your movement, and when you get good at it the speed you can maintain is extremely satisfying.

Kirby's Adventure is another example of a NES game with a beautiful sense of momentum and weight.
>>
>>3323956
Momentum always adds challenge IF done right.
So i am all for it.
>>
>>3323956
Depends on the mechanics of the enemies and level design. For a game like Mega Man/X you have to make a lot of precise and quick movements to navigate a dangerous environment and fast paced enemies, so having zero momentum really helps a lot to not frustrate the player. For basic platforming however, it makes things a little bit too easy.

For a game that's simpler and relies more on basic platforming, then momentum can be more fun, as >>3324079 said. It creates a higher learning curve and that feeling of stylish movement can feel very relaxing and rewarding once mastered when maneuvering your character - I find Mario 64 to be a great example of that.

I think both have their places and can be used to varying degrees of success. However, if you're a developer sitting on the fence about it, there's a lot more room to fuck everything up if you're looking at momentum-based.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.