[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /vr/, I've always been a Nintendofag but have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
Okay /vr/, I've always been a Nintendofag but have been trying out the Genesis/MD through emulation and it's pretty nice. I'm interested in purchasing one but have seen quite a bit of conflicting information.

What is generally considered the best revision? I've seen many sources stating that model 1 with the HD graphics tagline is the best but other people swear by the model 2.

How does region locking work? I've seen some sources saying it's completely region free, others say that JP and US are completely compatible but PAL is not, and others saying there is no inter-region compatibility whatsoever.

Lastly, in the same vein, what is the region compatibility like on the 32x? Does the 32x have to match the region of the base system? Do 32x games have to match the 32x region, the base region, or both?

I'm sure more questions will come up throughout the thread but that's all I've got for now.
>>
>>3323618
Model 1.
HD Graphics.
With the longer serial code on the bottom.
>>
forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

That guide will tell you all that you need to know
>>
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Sorry, fixed the link
>>
>>3323618
>What is generally considered the best revision?

Japanese va0 launch model, because it is the reference model also used in the dev kits. Every later unit just kept changing things. Ignore everyone else telling you to go for hd graphics or va3 model or whatever; the Japanese va0 board is how the system is MEANT to look and sound.
>>
>>3323651
I'll give this a read

>>3323656
Interesting, I'll have to look into this and see if I can find one for a reasonable price. Do you know anything about region locking?
>>
Also OP, any genesis that is model 2 or before will be an acceptable genesis to play. Each one has slight variations in sound and what not, but as someone who isn't highly familiar, I'd doubt you'd ever notice, so get the cheapest model so you have cash left for games
>>
>>3323618
Model 1 is better but keep in mind for stereo sound you need to use the headphone jack or get a sega cd.
>>
>>3323618
>How does region locking work? I've seen some sources saying it's completely region free, others say that JP and US are completely compatible but PAL is not, and others saying there is no inter-region compatibility whatsoever.

Most games have conditional branches for when a game is run in either 50Hz or 60Hz, no matter the ROM region. Some games are effectively region free as in they don't check the console for locks.
The ones that do check for two things: refresh rate (50/60) bit and the "is this unit Japanese" bit. Needless to say 2 bits make out 4 possible combinations.

60Hz Non-Japanese = US
50Hz Non-Japanese = Europe
60Hz Japanese = Japan
50Hz Japanese = Moon

I think there are jumpers clearly labeled in the motherboard so you just make two switches to flip those bits and you got yourself a region free console. For Japanese cartridges though, you'll need a passepartout, which is obviously a non-issue with flashcarts, which AFAIK can region patch the ROMS on the go.

You can also play European-locked games at 60Hz, but that doesn't always end well because you have to switch after boot, and that means 50Hz optimizations may get in the way of the more pushing 60Hz, like speeding music up or tanking the framerate (resetting would fix this, but whoops, it would kick the region lock yet again). This doesn't happen with The Wily Wars for example. 50Hzing NTSC games is a lot more safe, and even eliminates some slowdowns, but the game logic would still be 17% slower.

>>3323656
This is agreeable, but later models had a more strict lowpass for a reason. Some sounds can lead to audible distortions and they're not pretty but I guess you gotta trade some gains like crystal clarity.
>>
1) Get early model 2

2) Mod it with Mega Amp

3) You now have the best sounding Sega Gen/MD system (due to early model 2s ironically having the highest quality DACs of all despite their faulty sound circuitry)
>>
>>3323697
Region modding sounds like a pain
>>
Is the Genesis the only system that has so many audio revisions? I know the Famicoms have expanded sound and the FM audio in the Master Systems but is there anything else?
>>
Kinda off topic but does anyone have a list of good Japan exclusive Mega Drive games?
>>
>>3323703
Which one? Filtered, Unfiltered, System C-2 or gluten-free?
>>
>>3323697
>Some sounds can lead to audible distortions and they're not pretty but I guess you gotta trade some gains like crystal clarity.

If you wanted the crystal clear crap then you'd just play it in an emulator. The whole point of authentic hardware is that it has a ton of analog filtering.
>>
>>3323731
>Region modding sounds like a pain

Yeah you have to install a single SPDT on-off-on switch. very difficult, you have to solder up to THREE cables!
>>
Most games before 1993 are region free between PAL and the US. After that most PAL games can only be played in 50hz. Japanese cartridges are too big to fit in a western Mega Drive. You can cut tge cartridge slot, however.
>>
>>3323779
I have no experience with any of that.
>>
>>3323785
Does that mean US games will work on Japanese consoles since the cartridges are smaller?
>>
A lot of differing information in this thread. Is there any side-by-side comparison for the sound of different models?
>>
>>3323854
Read the link posted above, it has comparisons
>>
I wonder if the mega drive audio thing is just another one of those audiophile things like with early model playstations.
>>
Man the genesis really is durable.

Ive owned the same model 2 for over 25 years and it still works like a charm. Sucks all these modern consoles usually break on you in 5-8 years. I know most of my friends and myself have gone through multiple wii's, 360's and PS3's over the years.
>>
>>3323858
The Sega-16 post? It has some nice info, but barely any actual audio examples. I'd love to hear some side-by-sides of all the model 1 revisions and a mega amped model 2.
>>
>>3323835
Only if they're made before 1993. Actually, I'm not sure, as it only seems to check the frequency. I'm in a PAL territory.
>>
>>3323872
>Ive owned the same model 2 for over 25 years

Model 2 didn't exist until '93.
>>
>>3323906
You know what I meant. Roughly 25 years. Got it as soon as it came out. No need to be autistic here.
>>
I'm really glad im an emulatorfag and can bypass all this hassle, get a better picture, better sound, use any controller I want, and run all games from all regions without any issues.

FOR FREE.
>>
>>3323872
It's definitely nuts how long these things last. I was gifted a genuinely broken Genesis Model 1 HDG recently and I'm still shocked it won't work.

So I'm running a Model 1 VA 6.5 and I took Sonic over to a waterfall and it looks like I've got a case of the rainbow bands. Will switching over to a component cable, whenever the fuck they become available this year, fix that?
>>
>>3323983
>So I'm running a Model 1 VA 6.5 and I took Sonic over to a waterfall and it looks like I've got a case of the rainbow bands. Will switching over to a component cable, whenever the fuck they become available this year, fix that?

For whatever reason would you want to fix that? It's how the game is meant to look.
>>
>>3323920
Congrats, you're bragging about something that literally every single other person on this board can do.
>>
>>3323759
Filtered vs unfiltered is subjective (there's a switch anyway) but it's better to get the full Mega Amp in case you want to install CD or 32X.
>>
>>3324006
And yet, you go out of your way to not do it.
>>
Are there any video differences between the different revisions? I've looked all over and only found audio differences.
>>
>>3324213
>Are there any video differences between the different revisions? I've looked all over and only found audio differences.

Some late versions (starting from later model 2 I think) fix the column scroll + line scroll bug (a corruption in the leftmost column in games that rotate or skew the background, like Kawasaki superbike or streets of rage 2 pirate ship).
>>
File: sanic.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
>>3323772
Which the VA0 doesn't have, hence the distortions I talk about. Mega Amp also basically turns every console into a VA0 as far as filtering goes.

>>3324004
>It's how the game is meant to look.

Meh.
>>
>>3324434
The water effect gets rendered completely wrong through RGB or component. Sure the clarity is nice but to put money down on something just to view it the wrong way is silly. If you want that you can just emulate it for free.
>>
Honestly OP, do you think that the whole people who defend the Mega Drive / Genesis does It because of having "the best" model and shit?

No, the defend Mega Drive because Mega Drive is, like the Super Nintendo, a way of playing games, the way it sounds, the way it looks.

Don't pay that attention to technicisms and that "best model" and shit buy that one you like, and enjoy It because It is your one.
>>
File: sonic_rgb_raw.gif (201 KB, 384x301) Image search: [Google]
sonic_rgb_raw.gif
201 KB, 384x301
>>3324436
That was a composite shot, RGB looks like this.
>>
>>3324462
>That was a composite shot
I noticed. Either that or it had a blur filter applied.
>>
So it looks like none of you know jack shit about imports on this
>>
File: rainbowbandland.jpg (149 KB, 816x459) Image search: [Google]
rainbowbandland.jpg
149 KB, 816x459
>>3324436
I can appreciate the dithering effects on the titles that use them. And honestly, Gen composite isn't as bad as people like to say it is, but I don't think this is how the game is meant to look, especially since only some models have this problem.
>>
>>3323618
>How does region locking work?

Some late releases (1994-5) are region locked. There's a list of all region locked games you can lookup. Otherwise, the "lock" is just the cart being slightly different shaped. You can just stick the games in a game genie or other extender to play your games without mutilating your console.
>>
>>3324910

That's not rainbow banding. Dithering is supposed to dot hat.

Rainbow banding is when you're getting it on a flat background.
>>
>>3324897
Get a Game Genie and play everything. A Honeybee or similar adapter will allow you to play a different region game which does not have region locking on it. Keep in mind that games as early as Bare Knuckle 2 have region locking.
>>
>>3323618
theres a video difference between the 3(4) models but if u need sounds comparison take a look at this sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2-K8TkXCs
feel free to rock hard.
>>
>>3325689
The model 2 definitely seems to be missing some of the highs compared to the model 1 but I don't think it's really *that* much worse.
>>
Any Sega experts here know if Hellfire is the only game that's actually only compatible with the model 1 or if there are others? Its the only game in my collection that behaves differently if its not in an "HD" model 1. It plays the music at PAL speed in all other models.
>>
so I find a model one but it doesnt have the HD grapics written across the top does this matter? whats the difference?
>>
Get a high def graphics one or one without higher graphics but still has space on back for that stupid port that had no use for consumers. Or, get any goddamn genesis...some are better then others but the differences are fuckinggggg miniscule, and to someone who's never owned one for years, not noticeable at all
>>
Only genesis audiophiles and artists care about the difference. In general, there is no difference worth caring about
>>
>>3324947
Don't listen to this guy, the game genie trick does not work
>>
>>3326643
Different internal components. Maybe. It actually depends on the serial number, not the "HD graphics" logo. But all Genesis models with "HD" have the original soundchip settings, which do sound different, whereas most model 1's without do not.

If you own only one Genesis, it probably won't matter to you at all. If you own more than one, you can definitely tell a difference in the way they sound.
>>
>>3326824
In what way?

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/play-sega-genesis-megadrive-imports-game-genie
>>
>>3323618
i've owned a few, got them dirt cheap in lots because i wanted the games. va4 model 2 was my favorite before i learned about this on s16 and still is. best video quality imo and less noise in the audio. I also prefer the compactness of the 2 and the stereo output without extra cables.
>>3324209
not og anon but that's usually what you want. also sitting on a couch with real controllers in front of a big crt is the best. have fun being cramped up at your semen coated computer desk with some knock off usb controllers or an adapter that is introducing even more lag to your already sub-optimal setup.
>>
>>3323731
Since region locking is coded into the game rather than in the console itself, region locked games can generally be played with a game genie, though if your playing NTSC games on a PAL console or visa versa they'll still run at the wrong speed. Personally I think the region mod is less hassle than having to look up a load of codes and enter them every time you want to play a game. It's a very easy mod.
>>
So... those "HD Retrovision" component cables are finally releasing tomorrow for a whopping $44 USD + shipping. If you have a Model 1 Genesis, it's gonna be another $5 for the adapter.

I wonder how long it'll take till we see chinese replicas for like $20-$25 shipped.
>>
File: Capturegoyim.jpg (28 KB, 581x211) Image search: [Google]
Capturegoyim.jpg
28 KB, 581x211
>>3327345
sunday, I laughed when I saw this
>>
File: capturedumb.jpg (26 KB, 591x210) Image search: [Google]
capturedumb.jpg
26 KB, 591x210
>>3327373
and this too
>>
>>3327345
I was anticipating 35 with the adapter but holy shit what the fuck are they doing?

>>3327329
A Mega Everdrive will also bypass region encoding on games loaded on it.
>>
>>3327390

I was ready to pay $35 USD shipped too, but now I'm gonna just keep using composite with my Genesis and maybe pick up a Model 1 on the cheap in the future to S-Video mod.

SNES s-video already looks so good that I never considered buying them for that console.

Fingers crossed that the chinese come through for us with a cheap alternative. They'd had to have ripped off the design while assembling the cables for these jokers.
>>
>>3327406
I mean technically it is still cheaper than the SCART converter + cable combo for Sega, but at this point only barely. Aren't these cables just bulk manufactured overseas as well? I'm still tempted to buy one just to see the difference between Sega component and composite firsthand, but I'll wait for the knockoffs.

And yeah, a cheap s-vid cable for SNES gets you so close to component quality that a fifty dollar price tag isn't just stupid, it's hilarious.

Also, you might want to look into modding a 32X. I have a friend who had his modded for s-video and it looks great.
>>
>>3327325
I do sit on my couch with a real controller and I don't worry about input lag because it's a meme.
>>
>>3327345
What exactly is the point of component cables for a console which doesn't do HD?

Do they have a built in upscaler or is it just RGB for TVs with no SCART port? If so wouldn't be pretty easy to rig up your own cable for a fraction of the cost?
>>
>>3326824
It does, just patch the game's header to inject JUE (or whatever you need if it's more specific).
>>
>>3327474
It's for TVs without SCART. That custom cable basically is a RGB to YUV converter.
>>
>>3327471
>input lag is a meme
I wish it was.
>>
>>3327496
It is though.
The display you use is what causes lag. Emulating on PC monitor, or a good TV with no post processing filters will not produce noticeable lag.
>>
>>3327471
in a lot of games it doesn't matter but games that require precise timing you will notice it if you had both real hardware and emulation.

I like the ease of emulation and save file transferring between the phone and pc is easy as pie via cloud. Having the wii run double scale with scan lines on the hdtv for the price of a scart cable is nice, but its input lag seems worse than on pc.

they both have merits but real hardware is always superior in gameplay
>>
>>3327474
Modern TVs handle Component WAY better than Composite. Most TV's don't even have composite anymore. It also makes it super convenient for people with CRT's that wanna get RGB level video without modding/SCART/adapters.
>>
>>3323618
I'm a Sega fanboy, but I do own several Nintendo consoles such as SNES, Gamecube, N64 and Gameboy.

You might want to get a Sega Genesis model 1. The model 2 sucks in comparison.
>>
>>3327390
Is an Everdrive affected by TMSS at all?
>>
>>3328469
No. It pops up before the Everdrive boots to the game list, but that's it.
>>
>>3329542
So can games that usually not work with TMSS work using an Everdrive?
>>
>>3329862
In my experience, yes. I can boot up Ishido, Populous, and Budokan. I am using the Ukrainian edition, but I imagine the Chinese knockoff is probably the same.
>>
>>3330523
So from what I understand, the TMSS check is a hardware check. Since the Everdrive can boot up and pass this check, you can then run any software compatible with the Everdrive.
>>
>>3330996
Exactly. The screen doesn't appear after you select the game, just before the menu appears.

Also interesting,
"Absolute Entertainment, for some reason, faked the TMSS screen if it detected a non-TMSS board on all their Mega Drive games (including BattleTech, which was published under the Extreme Entertainment Group label which they had recently purchased from Micronet)."
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.