[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On defense of Megaman X5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
Apparently people are really fond of talking shit about megaman X5, some even going as far as branding it the worst game of the series on a world where Megaman X7 is a thing (perhaps their minds have deleted any memories related to that abomination as a way to keep their sanity intact).
I genuinely enjoyed that game a LOT, and i think it is the best PS1 megaman game. Can somebody at least explain why so much hate for such an enjoyable game?
>>
I love the game itself, it feels like it builds on x4...although the graphics aren't my favorite...anyway, here's a breakdown:

The game constantly stops you to waterboard you with unnecessary text, and boy does that fuck up the flow of the game. Also, boss's name...completely shit the bed. Game is way too easy and the graphics leave a little to be desired.
>>
>>3323589
I liked it, but didn't really play it--save scummed on emulator.
The translation really bothered me l, it's so god awful in all the psx games.

I don't remember if it was 5 or 6 that had the random upgrade chips but didn't really enjoy that mechanic.

I disliked 6 because it shat on the rockmen zero canon.
>>
Yeah, the X5+ series fuckled what coherence there was to the megaman storyline from the X series onward
>>
>>3323598
>I don't remember if it was 5 or 6 that had the random upgrade chips but didn't really enjoy that mechanic.
Both X5 and X6 had the whole chip thingie going for them.

>I disliked 6 because it shat on the rockmen zero canon.
what? How? I always thought Zero's X6 ending tied directly into the megaman zero series (him being frozen and all that stuff)
>>
>>3323602
Could be worse. They might have introduced disposable characters solely for the sake of destroying them for cheap drama *cough*Repliforce*cough*
>>
If he was frozen in x6, how does that tie in with the zero series when he was present in x8
>>
>>3323610
I am not saying the Megaman X storyline progression makes any sense, just that Megaman X6 is not the game to be blamed by it.
As a side note, Inafune had no participation from X6 onwards, so uber-purists might as well consider X5 to be the last canon X game, since it was his intention for it to be so.
>>
I thought the levels and the bosses were lame. And what's with the hyper generous savepoints up until Sigma's stages?
>>
>>3323621
No way man. I cannot believe you did not enjoy Flaming Dinosaur, Just A Bear and, my favorite of all, FireFly With A Mecha-Goatee.
In all due seriousness tho, the whole series had some pretty generic bosses since the very start. Don't get me started on Split Mushroom and Web Spider's designs (10 out of 10 players thought the lights on his upper torso where his eyes all along).
Also what's wrong with a game being on the easy side? It's not like you are forced to take the checkpoints anyway.
>>
Only Mega Man I like is X4, it's fun, has little bullshit, and is fair. There rest, X5 for example, have shit stage with infuriating bullshit and are artificially difficult, the bosses are shit, the difficulty is shit.
>>
>>3323646
>Only Mega Man I like is X4, it's fun, has little bullshit,
Don't get me started on the voice acting there. And i am not even talking about the cutscenes. Zero sounds like he has brain damage every time he dashes or climbs a wall and X sounds like a little bitch everytime he gets hit,
>>
>>3323654
Utterly irrelevant.

Mega Man in Mega Man 8 (for comparison), has a FAR, FAR more feminine voice, so it doesn't matter and if anything, it just makes me want to fuck his boipucci even harder.
>>
>>3323667
Wat
Is that you, Sigma?
>>
>>3323589
Am with you op. Not the best but far from worst, felt like X4ish which is nice but never played X7.

X8 was horrendous, easily the worst in series.

X > X2 > X4 > X5 > X3 > X6 >>>> X8
>>
>>3323856
I would personally switch x and x2, but that a pretty good list you got there. X3 would be sooo much better with a little more enemy variety and a not garbage ultimate buster.
>>
>>3323597
>The game constantly stops you to waterboard you with unnecessary text

This right here. Tried to play it again recently and stopped because the game wouldn't fuck off and actually let me play it.
>>
>>3323589

I personally dislike X5 but I'm well aware that it's only minor nitpicks that keep me from enjoying the game like I could.

Aside from Alia, there's also horrendously boring levels like Duff McWhalen and Spiral Pegasus and an absurdly long boss rematch thanks to everyone randomly getting a fuckhuge life bar out of nowhere.

To make a generous statement about the game: It has hands down my favorite soundtrack of all the Mega Man games I've played.
>>
I just hate having to kill myself till the countdown hits 9 days so I can get all the parts. Also, >>3323597
>>3323885
>>
>>3323602
Oh right I forgot the story was such an important part of the Mega Man series.
>>
>>3324183

Story wasn't a big part before, I was ok with the whole "Wily has 8 robots that are taking over the world, now fuck em up". When the X series hit, characters were added and a story was developed to go with them...which helped differentiate X from megaman and gave a kind of coherent timeline. After X5 it was "fuck youuuuuu"
>>
>>3323654
that's why you play Rockman X4 instead
>>
I only played through it once, and I remember fuck all about it. I don't even remember what the point of the countdown was. Don't you still get to the final stages regardless?

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed X6 more, to the point that I actually replayed it. Sure, it was bullshit and badly designed on so many levels, but at least it was memorable in that aspect IMO. X5 was just BLAND to me.
>>
>Have to keep killing yourself until the game drops to 10 or so hours remaining if you want to get the chips, and then you can only get half of them.
>Obligatory endgame boss rush turns them into damage sponges and gives them like 3x normal Mega Man boss HP.
>>
Mega Man X5 started the trend of trying new retarded mechanisms without any thought put in them.

>To get a part you must defeat a level 8 boss.
>The only way to increase the level of a boss is by spending game-hours.
>If you want to earn as much parts as possible the first thing you must do is die 24 times without defeating a boss.
>Also you can't ever get all the parts or all heart/weapon upgrades, suck it completionists.
>>
>>3324523
>>3324543
And people say X6 is the more badly designed game. At least in that game you CAN get everything, unless you fuck up and let certain Hunters get possessed, which admittedly can sometimes be hard to prevent.
>>
>>3324616
X6 has worse level design, if you play those games casually I can see people preferring X5.
>>
File: 17234792.jpg (323 KB, 921x632) Image search: [Google]
17234792.jpg
323 KB, 921x632
>>3323598
If anything X6 tried to bring Zero back into a sensible line of canon by ruling out Elysium as the next step and giving Zero(specifically Zero 3) a connection point.

>>3323610
Most of the franchise's plot is a cluster fuck, but it wouldn't have to be an immediate sleep.
Zero's drama tracks actually comment on him "waking up" to deal with shit before putting himself back in the fridge.

I'm curious if anyone ever looked into patching X5 to maybe restore the Japanese names(or just got applied to the Japanese version to begin with) and remove the calls for Alia to pester you.
>>
>>3323856
>putting any of the NES games at the front
Disgusting.
>>
>>3324516
you can just launch the ship and go to the final stages whenever you want. its possible to lose zero in the process and the stages give you a higher percentage of that not happening and whatever powerups you find/get. looking back it was pretty dumb.
>>
>>3325203
So I'm supposing speedruns literally consist of launching the ship ASAP and just beating the final stages?
>>
>>3325131
I guess you mean SNES
>>
>>3325289
one category does but its unpopular because you have to start over if the enigma shot/launch fails
>>
>>3323589
Don't ask me how, but X5 was the first Megaman I ever played. I'm dead fucking serious.

I hate the fact that you're frequently being interrupted by box upon box upon box of fucking tutorial and "watch out!" type dialog. But because I played this game long ago and I enjoyed playing as Zero more than X, this is a game I replay maybe once every other year. The soundtrack is great and I enjoy the slight customization that the upgrade parts allows, adding just a little bit to how you play your game, like how if you start a game as Zero, you can use his Z Buster and later upgrade the shots, or how there's also a part that allows you to slash projectiles out of the way.

As a side note, if you quickly do a search for a 16-bit / Mega Drive remix of this game's soundtrack, you'll find precisely that. It sounds great.
>>
>>3323639
>Just A Bear

kek
>>
>>3323589
X5 sucks but X6 and X7 managed to be way worse.
>>
>>3323856
X8 is no worse than the exercise of mediocrity that X4 is.
>>
>>3323646
X4 has uninspired and linear level design when it's not soem stupid gimmick, sluggish controls, most of the bosses leave the screen for long period of time forcing you to play the waiting game.

X4 is lame, but next to what came next it suddenly starts to look like some masterpiece.
>>
>>3323654
>>3323667
>playing localized japanese action games
>>
I don't recall anything annoying about X5 besides that bullshit door that had to be broken with a guided missile. The game was pretty enjoyable overall.

Looking at this thread, the issue seems to be OCD.
>>
X5 had a lot of counter-intuitive "strategic layer" mechanics which honestly didn't add much and way too much talking that paused the game but I thought the levels were actually fine.

I mean, I don't remember X4 having particularly strong level/boss/weapons designs either compared to the SNES games and it seems to mostly be remembered because it had Anime cutscenes, the effect of which were mostly ruined by the terrible dub anyway.
>>
>>3328716
>I don't remember X4 having particularly strong level/boss/weapons designs either compared to the SNES games
It didn't.
>it seems to mostly be remembered because it had Anime cutscenes
Mostly fully playable Zero.
>>
>>3323589
As a megaman game its okay. God help you if you are a completionist though.

>need to pick Zero to start because Nova Armor is eventually replaced by Ultimate Armor at the very end
>gotta drive a fucking bike off a cliff like 15 times at the start to not miss certain bonuses, even more if you're playing X
>gotta die after getting ultimate armor for one guy because you only can play the stage once and need both to get it
>you still can only get half the special boss things

If I ever replay X5 I'll just say fuckit and play without bothering with 100%.
>>
>>3328492
most people try to get all the goodies in MMX, that's one of the main things setting it apart from Classic Mega Man. I can't blame them for trying to get all the items.

That being said, MMX5 is just blah otherwise. All the memorable levels are memorable for the wrong reason. Nothing stands out besides the way dope X v Zero fight. Some of the bosses take forever to die.
>>
>>3323589
i agree with you, it's at least better than x6
x4 is close to on par with it, maybe better
>>
X5 is forgettable outside the X vs. Zero fight and average. X6 was rushed as fuck, but X5 is what gave most of X6 its problems.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgCLJvxFsaMYkH0ikkkhZeZE2r8cBy6Ab
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgCLJvxFsaMYkTd5LSRw7aUFsBVb5qvuv

I'd rather play X6 than X4 and X5 desu. It can be pretty fun with buffed Black Zero.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.