[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic Adventure DX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: 320px-SADX_GC_title.png (119 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
320px-SADX_GC_title.png
119 KB, 320x240
Any thoughts on the game?
>>
The 360 version is bullshit, it doesn't have the Game Gear games on it.
>>
>>3323471
Fucking shit aside from the cheesy music. I have no idea how someone can recommend this game
>>
>>3323471
Moderately fun but very unpolished. Has some pretty bad level design issues at times. The Rose levels are bad, and the Big levels are horrible. The other characters can be pretty fun though.

The world seems empty, like there are people, but not enough. The soundtrack compliments the world surprisingly well for a game with such mediocre environments.

The dialogue and voice acting is bad, but in a really entertaining way. It's really cheesy in its delivery.

All in all it feels like they accidentally released it when it was still in beta.
>>
>>3323471
The game is mostly unacceptable outside of 1998 when it comes to the way it plays, the amount of content, and how it behaves. SADX did so little to the original game, but the new models are cool and the Game Gear games will keep your attention for some time. Everywhere else it's like the same game.

I still like Big's portion but they called it quits with Amy. It's levels you already played but keep-a-way with a stalker robot. Final boss is also uneventful.
I wouldn't mind seeing the robot have his way with her if to distract me from the boring story mode, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>3323471

The best Sonic has ever felt to control in 3D. Too bad about that collision detection. This game should have been closer to a Mario 64 style game than a race to the finish type game.
>>
>gamecube
>2003
>>>/v/
>>
>>3323471
It's bad.
>>
>>3323889
It was also on PC which is a pre-2000 system so it is retro.
>>
File: DIE.jpg (60 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
DIE.jpg
60 KB, 720x540
>>3323889
It's a Dreamcast game from 1998, god you're fucking dumb

I hope you get slapped with a piece of bologna
>>
File: 1998.jpg (103 KB, 620x399) Image search: [Google]
1998.jpg
103 KB, 620x399
It and the original are both good games, they're just put to impossible standards by some Sonic and "Sanic was never good" autsists, some of which most likely only played it recently on an emulator with a keyboard.
>>
>>3323471
It's where the series started to go bad, but it's fun.

Dialogue is awful, story is ok but not really worth paying attention to. Stages are mostly fun; an overreliance on boost pads, but SEGA tried to make stages feel like real(ish) places instead of lazy floating race tracks, which really helped create a sense of progress for the most part.

Character switching wasn't obnoxious as most characters were similiar to Sonic's "core gameplay" (except Big the Cat and Gamma). Chao were also fun.

A flawed game, not necessarily a bad game.
>>
>>3323480
>All in all it feels like they accidentally released it when it was still in beta.

Every Sonic game released since 1997
>>
>Big the Cat levels
wat

wer

they

thing ken

???

Otherwise it was pretty enjoyable. I liked it. Although I spent more time playing the Game Gear bonus games than the actual storyline
>>
Very bad games, though I love both
I'm just such a sucker for the dreamcast aesthetic and Adventure 1 just embodies it
>>
>>3323471
I like it.

It used to be my favorite Sonic game as a child, and while I really doubt that's still the case I'm still fond of the two Adventure games.
>>
Reminder that DX is buggier than the 1998 Japanese Dreamcast release and doesn't represent how much smoother/more solid the 1999 International version plays.
>>
>>3324240
Hey now! I'll have you know that Sonic 06 was released as an alpha.
>>
>>3324614
It's a shame too, because DX is way more polished visually
>>
Chaos were the best part hands down.
>>
>>3323471
It's an insanely-shitty port of the Dreamcast release. Butchered controls, gimped physics, shitty graphics, and far more unpolished. It feels like absolute dogshit to even move around. Anyone who's only played the DX version shouldn't be allowed to say anything about the game as a whole.
>>
>>3324614
>>3324642
This. But that is one of the problems around here, people played DX, not Internacional release. Worst is that most played SA2 Battle first as their first Sonic ever and played LATER the GC DX port... This is like a kid back in the 90s playing like Sonic 2 or S3 first saying is the best Sonic ever and then playing 1 later and having the opinion the game is mediocre, boring and not fast enough or that you can't fucking spindash.

The internacional release of the original Dreamcast was MUCH better in the gameplay regard, there are barely any glitches. But the DX port? Which one? Every DX port gets worse and worse because is a port of a port of port.
>>
>>3323471
Kek, I was literally just looking at this >>3324672
then I saw this thread.
>>
>>3323471
I usually play the old PC version with mods.

I like it a lot. Everything but the Big levels were fun.
The controls are nice when you get used to them. It's loose and nonrestrictive.
The collision is a bit messed up, but it hasn't ruined my experience playing it (besides that loop in level 1. I haven't died from a glitch otherwise.)

The cutscenes are dumb, but you can skip them and I like how you see the story from 6 different perspectives.

SA2 fucked up a lot of things and I have a hard time enjoying it.
>>
>>3323471
It's aged pretty terribly, but back in the day it was fun to play a Sonic in 3D.
>>
>>3324614
That explains why I was falling through floors and shit in DX and never had that problem on the Dreamcast version. Also I think Sonic's character model looks better on Dreamcast. Still has remnants of the classic art design.
>>
>>3323480
Yeah the game is pretty fun and the soundtrack is great. But the amount of bugs in it make it feel like it barely had any Game Testers.
>>
>>3324242

They were thinking "Hey, the Dreamcast sure does seem to be known for it's one good fishing game for some reason, I bet we should try to work that into our Mascot series somewhere."

Not saying it's a good decision, but that's probably it.
>>
>>3325013
What mods do you recommend my man?
>>
>>3326748
There's a sweet diaper mod being developed right now, I think I'm waiting for that baby to come out.
>>
Neither SA game got the mix right, but both are fun.

SA1 had character, but the Knuckles, Amy, and robot stages were lame (I actually think the Big stages are amusing enough if you regard them as a minigame, whereas the others just aren't challenging or fluid).

SA2 had the better approach, but the action stages were actually inferior to SA1's best ones, and the game didn't have any mystique or emotion to it; it felt too hard like it was trying to be cool, although SA1 was sort of just a retelling of S3&K, so I guess 2 gets some points for originality?
>>
>>3326841

I enjoyed Knuckles' stages way more in SA1, and didn't mind Amy's.
>>
>>3326748
Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition - Fixes a lot of small things like collision issues and misplaced enemies.

Xinput mod - Fixed support for xbox 360 controllers

Widescreen hack (built into SADX Mod loader) - It's better than a lot of hacks that have pop-ins on the sides of the screen.

I'm not sure how many custom levels exist, but this Mushroom Zone one was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiY0Xy6V9Ak
>>
>>3326845
They're not awful, but Knuckles' are pitifully easy (the stages are nice, I wish they'd had something better to do in them) and Amy's are hampered a bit by her stilted control (you can get used to it but by the time you do, the game's over).
>>
>>3326872
Cool, tyvm
>>
>>3326841
>SA2 didn't have any emotion
Stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_VVr5H4h6o
>>
>>3327065
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YgkoXrOLTI
[description]
Finally found the song. This was played in the episode of Molly's death and at the end of Sonic Adventure 2 while shadow was falling in space.
>>
>>3325013
Yeah I agree with you.
But I liked SA2 story wise.
>>
File: 1467085987631.gif (720 KB, 360x420) Image search: [Google]
1467085987631.gif
720 KB, 360x420
I love the atmosphere in Sonic Adventure. Is it the best game? No.
But the soundtrack is wonderful, and most of the level are fun.
I don't know about you guys, but I also had a blast glitching into places I wasn't supposed to (Knuckles inside Twinkle Park in particular.)
>>
>>3327065
>>3327330
Why didn't Sega keep Shadow dead?
>>
>>3327562
Probably because the [pre-]teens fucking loved him, unfortunately for everyone else.
>>
>>3327562
I just want to elaborate. I thought Shadow had some character in SA2 and the last scene after the Finalhazard boss fight brought me to tears desu and it still does. Yet, Shadow is basically edgy as fuck and has zero personality, compared to SA2's Shadow. I'm just wondering, why bring a character back to life if your going to fuck with the one thing that made them likable? They might as well killed him off.
>>
>>3327338
Yeah I skipped half of the game speed dashing into the wall.
--
>>3327562
The fans loved him and everybody wanted him to return. So Sonic Heroes happened and that was a mess.
>>
>>3323480
>the Big levels are horrible
The Big levels can be completed in less than 30s each. Hardly anything terrible.
>>
>>3324237
>It's where the series started to go bad
No it was 3D Blast which already was showing all the signs of 3D Sonic being a bad idea.
>>
>>3324969
>Worst is that most played SA2 Battle first as their first Sonic ever and played LATER the GC DX port
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>3327571
a video game about a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog is trying to appeal to 10 year olds. something needs to be done about this
>>
>>3327338
>Glitches in Mario64
It's a feature!

>Glitches in Sonic Adventure
Sanic was never good!

Nintoddlers are the worst.
>>
>>3328658

A lot of glitches in mario became genuine features later, like walljumping in SMB1 or being able to pass through objects. Which later became walljumping and invisible cap in SM64 and later games, also the 1up exploit in SMB1 and yoshi giving you 100 1ups in SM64.
>>
>>3328691
Oh, like every exploit ever when you put a game into a speed running context?
>>
You know how bad this place has gotten when there's 2 Sonic Adventure threads up at the same time.
>>
>>3328712

Dreamcast on /vr/ was a mistake.
>>
If you like this game, turn in your gaming license.
>>
>>3327338
>I also had a blast glitching into places I wasn't supposed to
So much this.
>>
>>3329069
I'm not defending SA, but it's more of a "game" than 90% of shit that's released today.
>>
>>3328736
Stay mad, Sonygger.
>>
>>3328460
On the ports, because you can skip cutscenes but in the original you can't, you have to endure all that shit. You also need to upgrade the rods and the many lures while find them in the hubs and stages. If you don't then catching bigger fish will be a pain in the ass on later stages since the line will break easily.

Knuckles, Big, Amy and Gamma stories are actually pretty short if you know what you are doing. Since the DX versions you can finish all stories in like 6 hours or so...
>>
>>3329332
>catching bigger fishes
You only need to catch Froggy to complete Big Story Mode.
>>
>>3323471
>DX
>>
>>3329351
Shit, right. I was mixing things up with the missions and thinking about Ice Cap and his last level where I got a shitty pattern with a bunch of bigger fish that didn't want to disappear to get Froggy.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.