[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retrogames like Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Dark_Souls_PC_37.jpg (299 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_PC_37.jpg
299 KB, 1280x720
I'm looking for an old game similar to Dark Souls. Character customization, classes, a vast world I'm free to explore from the beginning, numerous weapons and powerups, upgrade system, friendly npc interactivity.
>>
kings field, shadow tower
>>
>>3322313
You can find some of those elements spread throughout various retro games, but none hit all the notes Dark Souls does. That's why it became such a huge hit.

Go play King's Field and Elder Scrolls games and then look for something else that scratches the itches they don't.
>>
>>3322313
Super Hydlide
Zelda 2
>>
>>3322313
Simon's Quest
>>
Partial matches:
>Symphony of the Night
>Monster World IV
>>
File: kf_ancient_city.jpg (72 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
kf_ancient_city.jpg
72 KB, 640x448
King's Field is the closest thing you'll find, at least if you're looking for 3D environments. KF is also by From Software, and is very much a spiritual predecessor to the Souls series.

The only thing it's lacking compared to Souls is the class / character customization mechanics. Maybe. I'm not entirely aware of what impact your class choice has in the Souls games, but in KF, your attack and magic power increase simply as a result of putting those skills to use. You also gain generic stats from level ups, including your HP and MP. As for skills, you can just swing your weapon, ingest a potion or cast a spell. Your character can learn every spell in the game without any restrictions, as you're not bound to any specific class-based role.

As for being open world, that's very much the case with KF2 and 3. (or KF1 and 2 in the U.S., as the first game was never localized) Walking just a few steps from the starting point in KF2 puts you next to one of the game's later bosses, which will 1HKO you if you get too close.
>>
>>3322313
Character creation isn't particularly common in retro.

Ghosts N Ghouls and the like is the spiritual precursor to DS.
>>
>>3322371
TO character customization, no classes, you can't explore the whole world from the beginning.
> friendly npc interactivity.
lol

I love CV2, but OP is just an idiot looking for a laundry list of features uncommon to retro games.
>>
Severance: Blade of Darkness
>>
Deathtrap Dungeon

Blighttown's framerate was even directly inspired by it.
>>
File: 9sxHPBx.jpg.gif (992 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
9sxHPBx.jpg.gif
992 KB, 250x250
>>3322412
>>
jesus christ can we just get a sticky of this question already? it's like once a fucking week.
>>
>>3322412
Not quite retro, but this reminds me. The DS version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain is shockingly good.
>>
>>3322313
Ragnarok Online?
>>
File: Gateway of the Savage Frontier.png (40 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Gateway of the Savage Frontier.png
40 KB, 640x400
>>3322313
Gateway of the Savage Frontier and its sequel (the DOS versions).

And maybe any of the Gold Box games will do just fine (just make sure to play them in the correct order so you can take your characters to the sequels).
>>
Dark Souls IS a retro game. It came out like fucking 5 years ago
>>
>>3322313

that's dark souls? there's a part in demon's souls that's identical, except a blue dragon instead of red.
>>
>>3322652
There's some big ass dragon in some inconspicuous spot that's relatively easy to get to that melts you in every souls game as I recall.
>>
>>3322417
Indeed, Warlock of Firetop Mountain is very addicting.
>>
>>3322412
>Deathtrap Dungeon

After all these years I'm still surprised that was allowed to get released. What a fucking terrible game.
>>
>>3322652
On the bridge above the Undead Burg.
>>
>>3322740
If it wasn't for the ridiculous framerate it probably would be pretty fun.
>>
>>3322989
not with tomb raider around, no
>>
>>3322989
I would love to see a remake of this game. The idea was simply too far ahead of the early 3D tech when it came out.
>>
>>3322652
Callbacks and references are a recurring theme in From Software games.

>>3322989
What about the PSX emulator that can "overclock"? Playing that at a consistent framerate would be quite good. I wouldn't call it a "terrible" game but it definitely has flaws. It was too ambitious for what technology could handle. If it was remade nowadays it would be a fun dungeonfest.
>>
>>3323002
In first person with controls like Mirror's Edge right
>>
In terms of difficulty probably Final Fantasy Mystic Quest or Pokemon
>>
>>3323004
>What about the PSX emulator that can "overclock"?

Somehow I get the feeling that this will have some nasty sideeffects since the choppy, janky animations felt like they were sort of bound to the framerate.
>>
>>3322415

I agree.

Go play Dick Tracy for the NES, OP.
>>
>>3323004
>Callbacks and references are a recurring theme in From Software games.
That's a nicer way of putting "all their recent games look and play exactly the same".
>>
>>3322346

You know what? I would actually second Zelda 2. Obviously not the exact same as someone said that's what makes it great, but the NPC interaction, minimal plot but great worldbuilding, tough but fair.

They felt very similar to me. So much so that when I started playing Dark Souls I was getting flashbacks of Zelda 2. In a good way.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.