[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HAHA YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: shadow_warrior_1997.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shadow_warrior_1997.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
HAHA YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG
>>
I've just finished this game, 3 hours ago.
Let me just say I completely understand why this was a commercial failure. And I've finished Duke 3D.
>>
WHO WANTA SOME WANG?
>>
>>3321571
Because it was released after Quake?
>>
>>3321969
I don't think so, the game is below mediocre. You had to jump through a ton of hoops just to finish a stage. I've played Doom I & II, Duke 3D and some of the older shooters, and Shadow Warrior still makes you hunt for keys in every imaginable place. It's like the developers wanted you to go fuck yourself. There's a stage where the key is on top of a waterfall, and you have to jump from a vehicle to this waterfall. The worst case is a stage where they've put a ladder inside of a fireplace, and the only way to see it (originally) was to stand on the fire. I wonder if this is how Hexen players felt.

Also you have 10 guns, but they're either explosives (you don't want to fire these in an enclosed space), utterly useless (sword, shurikens), meaning your bread and butter will be a shotgun and the Twin Uzis that run out of ammo fast as fuck. I don't remember if this was in Duke 3D, but the game makes you reload your weapon after firing a certain number of bullets (shotgun = 4, uzis = 100), which is annoying as hell to do in the middle of battle.

If I had played this back in the day for 1 or 2 hours (like, the shareware episode), I would never have bought it.
>>
>>3321991
Aye, Blood is better. Out of the "big three" it's the best Build game.

Duke3D only had the pistol require reloading, everything else has a Doom style ammo pool.
>>
>>3321991
>I suck at the game so it's bad: the post
Fuck off kid.
>>
>>3321991
>Being this bad at Shadow Warrior

You're weak as a baby fart, go live in fear.
>>
>>3322084
>>3322097
>implying I didn't find fighting bees over bottomless chasms rad as fuck
But seriously, platforming in a Build game. And it happens pretty often. Is there any other FPS with so much platforming as Shadow Warrior?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*SPLAT*

Also, there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind enemy balancing in this game. They're either too weak (that lizard with stripes thing) or too strong (that fucking monkey).
>>
OHOHO STICKY BOMB LIKE YOU :^)

YOU'VE GOT A NEW FRIEND :^)
>>
Multiplayer in SW was freaking crazy.

>dat fucking nuke launcher

Also I really liked how the Build engine had evolved. Making maps to play with my friends was super fun.
>>
File: SWdm10.jpg (116 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SWdm10.jpg
116 KB, 1024x768
>>3321991
Balancing in SW is on a whole other level. You can die very quickly, but you can also kill very quickly.

Honestly if you spent most of your time using shotgun/uzi, you've been wasting your time. Unless you're playing "katana/shuriken start" on the higher difficulties you should be swimming in ammo, and alternating between every weapon but mostly rocket launcher, grenade launcher, railgun, guardian head, with the occasional use of the sword (very useful in tight environments), sticky bombs for groups of enemies, and ripper heart for mini-bosses.

>>3322312
SW is some of the best deathmatch I've had in my life. Pic related
>that cookie message right when my rocket flies only an inch up my adversary's head
>>
this game is really bad
>>
the new remake was better than the original
>>
Duke > SW > Blood
>>
You want wash Wang?
>>
>>3322507
Literally reverse that, kiddo.
>>
>>3322547
>>
>>3322443
*teleports behind you*
*unsheathes katana*
YOU TINY GRASSHOPPER
>>
I LIKE NUCLEAR WEAPONS
>>
>>3322497
I liked it a lot but no. It has huge balancing issues, with on the higher difficulty only the frontal thread of the sword and the rocket launcher being useful.
Enemies tend to be bullet sponges too.
Level design is nothing special. Even as far as "singleplayer arena FPS" are concerned it could be a lot better.
>>
>>3321991

Not to riff too closely to >>3322426, but honestly, your bread and butter should be your rocket launcher. There really aren't that many tight spaces in Shadow Warrior, and you can still flood those areas with rockets or grenades if you need to. It's kinda like Duke Nukem meets Rise of the Triad - the game is mostly balanced around explosives with hitscan/bullet weapons only to save ammo for the explosives or for rare situations where splash damage is a serious threat.

>The worst case is a stage where they've put a ladder inside of a fireplace, and the only way to see it (originally) was to stand on the fire.

Forcing the player to take damage to progress is a tried and true staple of classic FPS. Go play through Episode 2 of Doom, or the Wizard's Manse in Quake. Also, don't forget that you get portable healthkits you can use at any time, and you can also gain back health using your fists on enemies.
>>
>>3322973
About firing the Rocket Launcher, remember one of the final stages is in a submarine, and you spend a lot of time fighting in caves. I used the Grenade Launcher mostly to take out stuff that didn't see me yet, or things that couldn't reach me. Same with the sticky bomb. However, the game still throws a few situations on your face where it's either Twin Uzis/Shotgun or die from explosive damage. I say this because the game is still fresh on my mind - there are at least two cases where the game throws a orange gorilla (the giant one) on your face right after you fall from a platform to the ground. The thing that really unnerved me was how there was no enemy progression to speak of. You fought mostly everyone on the first 6 or so stages (I think the ninja girl and sumo jrs. are the last to appear), but like I said above, some are either very weak, like the lizard with stripes, or very strong, like the fucking gorilla (that scream still rings on my ears). Compound that with the key-hunting, and I really found Duke 3D to be much more tolerable than this.

About the fireplace, actually my gripe isn't that you have to take damage, but that you have to look inside a place you never had any reason to until then, and you don't do it ever again. It becomes more tolerable after stage 16 or so (of 20...), but most of my clocked time was spent looking for keys in stages where I had already killed every enemy, mainly from stages 7 to 12.
>>
>>3322997
I admit that it's been a year since I beat Classic Redux, so I'm going off memory. There are certainly a lot of situations where you can get fucked up instantly, especially on the hardest difficulty when Shadow Ninjas are a lot more common. All I can really say to that is to quicksave a lot.

I remember the caves being pretty spacious, and I admit that I forgot the submarine. That said, you still have the sword that can kill normal ninja quickly, the railgun that does heavy damage with no explosion and the Guardian head that can function as a flamethrower. Your options aren't that limited.

Key hunts are just how it goes with any of these games. I think I remember a couple of times I felt totally lost, but those were the exception.

You're convincing me to give at least the first episode another playthrough. There really isn't much like Shadow Warrior in terms of prioritizing overwhelming preemptive force before enemies take you down in a couple seconds.
>>
>>3322575
I think that's my favourite line lol. The delivery is lolz
>>
Played SW about a year ago. I thought it was alright. I loved the weapons, loved the Wang, and there were lots of fun little things. Didn't love the obtuse level design coupled with how often you could suddenly drop dead.

Also, fuck the airplane level.
>>
>>3321568
GO SPEED RACER GO!
>>
>>3323287
Airplane level is part of the Wanton Destruction add-on which remained unreleased until 2005. Although some levels of the add-on, including the airplane one, were released individually before the episode release I think.

Ironically that level is part of how its author got hired by 3DRealms to work on DNF. Probably because of the amazing things it does with the game's effects.

But yeah, gameplay is awful in that level. There is no place to maneuveur and you keep either getting hitscanned through curtains you can't see through, or get wrecked by an explosion because the place is too tight to dodge it.
>>
>>3321568
>>3321660
>>3322097
>>3322259
>>3321991
>>3322295
>>3322497
>>3322519
>>3322560
>>3322575
>>3323273
>>3323641
Why are SW threads always so filled with reddit?
>>
>>3321991
>utterly useless
>sword
Are you a fucking retard? It's legit one of the most powerful weapons in the game
>>
File: suzhou5.png (2 MB, 2048x1535) Image search: [Google]
suzhou5.png
2 MB, 2048x1535
>>3322997
>>3322973
I use the RL a lot but it's not my main weapon. Its explosion radius is very small (which means that no, it shouldn't be a problem to use it even in most indoor places) and enemies can dodge the rockets easily by sidestepping.

And you guys should play my map, shameless self advert

http://www.moddb.com/games/shadow-warrior/addons/showdown-in-suzhou
>>
>>3322973
>or the Wizard's Manse in Quake
No. There are no Quake levels that force the player to take damage to progress. There are some traps in the game but you don't have to get hit by them and can avoid all of them. The only time you have to take damage is if you want to rocket jump to speedrun through a map.

Doom has a few small slime/lava crossing bits though that can hurt you but taking damage to progress is largely avoided in Doom - almost every time you would have to travel across slime/lava that can hurt you there's a hazard suit presented to you.
>>
>>3324247

If you say so, then how do you escape the underwater cage trap in E2M5 without taking any damage ?
>>
I only have the Classic version on my Steam from 1997. Is the game good to go from the start or should I get some sourceport - if there even is one?
>>
>>3326228
IMO DOSbox is still the best way to play the game atm.

It has two sourceports: Redux on Steam and SWP. Both have their share of flaws if you ask me.

Hopefully we should get a better sourceport "soon".
>>
I can't beat the first level on Who Wants Wang difficulty. Help.
>>
>>3326527
The first level is pretty hard tbqh
>>
YOU GOT SOMETHING WITH BIGGER BACK SIT?
HMM?
>>
>>3324368
This. You're forced to take this underwater transport, potentially more than once, and the ride lasts long enough that you take at least one instance of damage. Keep in mind you have to use this transport to progress, thus you literally have to take damage to progress and there is no Biosuit prior. Quake also doesn't have the luxury of portable healing.
>>
>>3324068
>le reddit boogerman

>>>/v/
>>>/pol/
>>>/tv/
>>
>>3326934
WOOOOOAH BABY WHAT A BEAUTY PIPE!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.