[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
feeling old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: nah.png (195 KB, 453x480) Image search: [Google]
nah.png
195 KB, 453x480
please tell me ii'm not the only one who likes Final Fantasy I to VI because the new ones doesn't feel like FF
>>
>>3321409
No you aren't, plenty of other people shit on anything that doesn't fit their autistic definition of what a game should be like.
>>
If it makes you feel any better, I only liked the first one. And I didn't play it until like, 2010.

On the other hand, I also haven't played any of the 3D FF games.
>>
>1997 is "new"
Yeah you're old
>>
You're old as shit. FF started to become trash when 10 came out.

FF6=7>8>4>>9>>>5>>>>12>>>10>>>>>>>>>>13

I don't care for the first 3 or anything after 10 really. I though 13 was supposed to be a caricature or parody of what a hallway simulator should be.
>>
>>3321409
After 6 they start to become pretty different so I can see why somebody might not like them as much.

Personally I like most games in the series, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>3321574
5>9>6>4>7>3>10>8>1>12>>>>>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>13

2 and 13 are the only ones I really dislike, although, in my opinion, 8, 10, and 12 aren't particularly good either. 13 is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played though. Excluding things that just don't work, it's probably in my bottom 10.
>>
>>3321409
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was my favorite
>>
>>3321409
Most ppl just like 7 and 8 and thats it.
>>
I've never played 1-6. What versions should I pick up?
>>
>>3321690
Original of course
>>
Only played 1,7 and 8. I liked them but I'm still able to realize they are just a form of entertainment and don't really matter beyond that so I'm sure my opinion won't matter here.
>>
>>3321409
It's more like I to V. VI has much more in common with the games you think 'don't feel like FF' than they do with the games before VI.
>>
Nope
>>
File: Junction.png (141 KB, 641x481) Image search: [Google]
Junction.png
141 KB, 641x481
>>3321409
>because the new ones doesn't feel like FF

I grew up with the early series, but I don't see how you would get the impression that anything post-FF6 is nothing like the classics. Aside from having 3D elements, the games have many overlapping features, such as ATB or turn-based battles. These games are really just the classic FF formula with 3D characters and a more modern setting.

I didn't care as much for FF9 and most anything that followed it, however. At that point, the games shifted toward a more cinematic approach. FF7 and 8 had their share of cutscenes and FMVs, but FF9 was practically an interactive film. The absence of any character development system didn't help any.
>>
>>3321494
Dude never shit on anything.

They just dont like technology in their final fantasy so they like the earlier games.
>>
Only played a few. 6 is good, 7 is boring, 10 is the gayest game ever created.
>>
>>3322207
All the Final Fantasies have technology in them though. FFI has robots you fight. VI is far more techy than IX is.
>>
>>3321690
I won't speak for the others but 6 is perfectly fine as it is on SNES.

The others are a bit dated in some places, and 2, 3 and 5 weren't even released overseas originally, so depending on your preferences and how you intend on playing them, it might be easier to get newer versions of those.

But maybe you'd be fine with the originals, I don't know. All I know is you can't go wrong with SNES 6.
>>
IMHO

7>5>12>6>4>1>9>8>10>2>3>11>13
>>
Never heard of spoony, have you?
>>
>>3322394
Snes 3 u fuckn mong
>>
>>3322416
IIRC he was semi-decent before he became a gay unfunny drama queen.
>>
Since we're apparently ranking the series now, I'll add my thoughts.

2 > 8 > 12 > 1 > 4 > Tactics > 7 > 10 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 9 > 13

Never played any of the online games. Not into MMORPGs / social gaming.

Also, I play way more WRPGs than series like Final Fantasy, so my rankings are probably different from the average for that reason.
>>
File: ff3elow.jpg (32 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
ff3elow.jpg
32 KB, 340x340
>>3322452
Might as well get in on it as well. We all have special snowflake opinions.

9>2>3>6>5>tactics>8>7>1>4

I didn't play 10 or after. 12 is on my list though.
>>
For some reason I couldn't get into the FF series. I tried hard to like pretty much every game until FF9 (basically, the games I can play/emulate in my shitty PC), but the only one I liked and finished was FF6, I'm not sure why though. I mean, all the games are practically the same shit, but FF6 kept me hooked for some reason.

I love jRPGs though, it's just that FF feels kind of... boring, generic? I can't really explain it.
>>
>>3322463
What are your favorite jrpgs?
>>
>>3322146

This.

Basically OP, you're retarded, and if the "newer" games were pixelated shit with medieval setting and a crystals theme you would be falling all over for it.

Go play Bravely Default you faggot.

FFI-VI? All of those are complete garbage, let's be honest.
>>
>>3322463

What is boring and generic in FF7 or FFX?

The problem seems to me you tried to play them all in one go.

Yah, no, that's not how it works.
>>
>>3322486
>FFI-VI? All of those are complete garbage, let's be honest.

Sorry, I meant HALF of those, before a shitstorm comes.
>>
>>3322492
No, you meant all of them. You just don't want to have to deal with the shitstorm. At least be honest ffs.
>>
I think every FF game has something interesting that makes it worth playing.
>>
>>3322416
He's what we call "old news"
>>
File: wat.gif (2 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
2 MB, 500x282
>>3322452
>>3322457
>2 that high

Also I don't see how anyone can like 8 outside of nostalgia. I mean people shit on 7 for being overrated and "nostalgia goggles" but 8 was so much worse besides the graphics.
>>
>>3323363
triple triad is pretty fun aside from the shitty rules that some regions add to it
>>
>>3323363

As I said: I'm more into Western RPGs. The design elements of FF2 feel reminiscent of Elder Scrolls, so character development clicked with me more than changing classes or obtaining generic level ups. I also liked the challenge of that game, at least the first time I played it. On subsequent playthroughs, I curb stomped everything in my path.

I don't want to say FF8 is necessarily similar, because character development is more restrictive. Where FF2 allows you to put all your mastered skills to use anytime, FF8 requires you to equip a limited selection of abilities before going into battle with them. Still, the sheer amount of customization was fun. I thought it was an improvement over the more restrictive class-based mechanics and skill grouping in games like FF5 or FFT.
>>
>>3323543
Square should make it a stand alone game so I never have to play FF8 ever again.

>>3323558
Sounds like you're more of a SaGa guy.
>>
>>3321690
Play FF1 on PS1, the original NES version is bugged to hell
>>
>>3321409
stop scarfing down pasta bigboy
>>
>>3323725
Well fuck you Luigi!
>>
File: I'm Gonna Eat This Matress.png (1 MB, 1007x760) Image search: [Google]
I'm Gonna Eat This Matress.png
1 MB, 1007x760
>>3323725
If I don't get some food soon, I'm gonna eat this mattress.
>>
I think they're all pretty good up until 13.

I had at least some amount of fun playing them at least.

I actually haven't tried playing 13 though, I stopped buying new games after Demon's Souls

not on purpose or anything, it was more of a coincidence
>>
>>3323740
>>
>>3322452
7 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 1 > 9
They are all I care about until 15 comes out.

Seiken Densetsu 3 > Chrono Trigger > Parasite Eve 1
Favorite non Final Fantasies
>>
>>3321647
I like it too, though I think FF5 is better.
>>
>>3323747
Nice thumbnail faggot
>>
>>3321603
so consistently, they have changed styles again and again and each time the game is enjoyable? Is it story? brand? or what? I feel like 1 and 2 are a little archaic, 3 - 7 ( some on GB) are all great 8 - 10 have their high points, and after that I haven't played.
>>
>>3323757
I've never seen so many wrong opinions in one post before.
>>
>>3321690
Original console versions, unprofessional fan translations and all. Frankly I wouldn't play any of 2-6 any other way.
>>
File: Image.png (610 KB, 708x467) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
610 KB, 708x467
>>3322416
feeling old
please tell me ii'm not the only one who likes Spoony 2007 to when he started posting on TGWTG because the new ones doesn't feel like Spoony
>>
>>3323363
2 is a very love or hate game. Personally I adore the leveling system and think it makes playing a lot more fun than some other entries in the series. But I totally get why a lot of people don't like it.

I certainly don't love 8, but I do like parts of it a fair bit and enjoy the systems. It's mostly lower down because I dislike most of the characters and the story is dumb as rocks. But I don't play ff for story anyways.
>>
>>3321409
I felt like that in the late 90s with Final Fantasy VII, never played it because it was not medieval fantasy.
>>
>>3322404
Oh look at Mr. Lordly with all that free time on his hands.
>>
File: ffvi_m42bhtnCdn1qj0pm2o1_500.gif (968 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
ffvi_m42bhtnCdn1qj0pm2o1_500.gif
968 KB, 500x390
>>3324271
Did you think that III/VI was a medieval fantasy?
>>
>>3323606
>Sounds like you're more of a SaGa guy.

I do play SaGa titles more than the FF games, although I rarely discuss the series with anyone since it has an even more insufferable fanbase. FF's fanbase is pretty divisive, but I'll take that over SaGa autism any day.

Better yet, I should probably just steer clear of JRPG fanbases in general.
>>
>>3324309
>Better yet, I should probably just steer clear of fanbases in general.

Fixed that for ya
>>
>>3324037
His Phantasmagoria 2 Playthrough is top tier, awesome when you want something playing in the background while you do stuff.

He's really lost it, and I haven't really checked up on his page much since about 2012/2013. Used to be a pretty big fan.

The Ultima reviews are nice, they're not angry like Final Fantasy Spoony, but you can tell he really liked making that series. A little cringeworthy at times in retrospect, still worth a look.
>>
>>3324419
His Ultima 9 review definitely was, especially since most of his complaints were centered around optional dialogue choices i.e "What's a paladin?"
>>
>>3324271

I hope you know you're fucking retarded and never really "got" FF.

Final Fantasy, since it's first one, has been about the clashing of magic and technology. No? Then what the fuck are airships faggot?

That is literally a theme that has been on the series since the original. It's just that during most of the SNES era they thought they should play it safe with only medieval settings.
>>
>>3321409
>ii'm not the only one who likes Final Fantasy I to VII
Yes you are the only one, you special snowflake.
>>
>>3321620
Fuck outta here, ain't nobody got business having such good taste.

XIII may have been an awful game but it still gave us my waifu.
>>
File: 1345871334977.jpg (200 KB, 559x857) Image search: [Google]
1345871334977.jpg
200 KB, 559x857
5 > 9 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 10 > 1 > 8 > 12 > 2 > 13

>playing MMOs
>>
yea
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.