[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feel The Advantage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (491 KB, 1377x1275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491 KB, 1377x1275
What's the best NES setup for simulating an arcade experience? Bought one of these, and I was thinking about bringing up this shitty desk from the basement and putting my 19" RCA CRT TV from 1987 on top. Hoping the rollout thing for the keyboard will be good to sit the arcade stick on.

Also, which games give you the advantage using The Advantage with? Besides the obvious arcade ports and shmups?
>>
>>3320568
The turbo fire really helps out with Fester's Quest.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>3320568
Just set this up literally right after my OP. Decided to go all out and dig out the Commodore 64 and Genesis Model 2 as well. Unfortunately the Advantage doesn't clear the desk when you push in the roll-in thing. It's a little close to the TV where I have it, but its to too bad. Not the most comfortable on the wrists but oh well, I taped everything down anyway.
>>
File: Default1.png (96 KB, 200x177) Image search: [Google]
Default1.png
96 KB, 200x177
>>3320775

>Fester's Quest
>>
>>3320807
I actually loathe the game, only loaded it up because the other anon suggested to try it with the advantage. The game is still too hard to be enjoyable.
>>
>>3320775
you could unspin the ball off the top and maybe it'll clear it that way.
>>
>>3321042
Actually the afterthought to hook up the c64 was a better use for the desk anyway. I'm glad I decided to bring all this stuff up, it's like I just unintentionally took myself back to 1991 when c64, nes and sega were the only things I had to play games on. This is also the TV that sat in my living room from when I was a little kid up to my teens. So glad I took it from my parents house before they moved and let it sit in my basement for 15 years.
>>
>>3320775
Nigger mame cab?
>>
File: 22476002[1].jpg (137 KB, 850x1101) Image search: [Google]
22476002[1].jpg
137 KB, 850x1101
This.

Vs. System has probably more desirable versions of games but a PC10 can play the actual NES library.
>>
>>3322360
At least I'm using real hardware I guess.. It's kind of funny though because when I was a kid my mom told me not to sit too close to this very television when im playing games and now I'm intentionally sitting with my face inches away from the same tv 20 years later.
>>
>>3322398
Obviously this would be the best thing to have but fuck it i like this setup because its comfy and nostalgic. I recommend a desk w/ nes advantage setup for anyone who is too poor for a playchoice and too lazy to stand or sit on a bar seat.
>>
>>3322551
Yes. It looks very uncomfortable and hard on the eyes. Very cringeworthy as well.
>>
>>3323141
Its not that bad and a hell of a lot better than trying to play games with the advantage on your lap sitting on the couch. Arcade sticks need to be stationary, holding one or sitting it on your lap is bullshit I hate it.
>>
>>3323159
Thanks for the advice sport. I'm sure your setup is much more comfortable than my two player stick with an actual arcade panel that sits firmly on my coffee table at a comfortable height and distance. Enjoy your basement fail.
>>
>>3323141
>crigeworthy
if a decent retro station is cringe why are you on /vr/?
>>
>>3323451
Your bigger vidya dick unphases me, i have a personal attachment to this TV and it would have sat in the basement if I hadn't repurposed it. It only took me an hour to bring this shit up and set it up and no monetary investment. You can shit on my ghetto arrangement all you want it's got C64 try enjoying that on a emulator cab.
>>
>>3323458
>decent retro station
Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder.

>>3323469
>try enjoying that on something you never said you had. I got ESL
Explains it all ese
>>
>>3323614
Wait a second. So all you have is one of those Xarcade or other USB garbage "panels" and you're trying to school me on my shit? So do you actually sit on our couch and reach over the coffee table to play games on your TV? How is that any fucking better than my shit? Here I thought you were some big shit with an actual arcade cab or something. Fuck you.
>>
>>3320568
I was actually thinking of harvesting the pcb's in these and wiring them up to have real like sanwa arcade components.

Has anyone done stuff like that?
>>
If you can make an arcade cabinet and put a CRT, NES, and advantage in it. Just have the screen only show having something supporting the CRT's weight, have the flap and power/reset buttons reachable and have the advantage only show the top side shown. It'd be s bitch to do but cool final and cheap(by an arcade cabinet's standards) to make.
>>
>>3323706
I have an actual candy arcade panel in a case. It works very comfortably on a table. You'd understand how if you were old enough to remember cocktail machines. If you don't understand how an arcade panel is better than that plastic turd you have then you're retarded. If you don't understand how having it at a comfortable distance from the screen instead of shoved up against it is better then you're retarded. If you don't understand how having it at a comfortable height is better you're retarded.
If you don't understand that a shit fighting sitting on a kids lap would still be better you're retarded. I'm sorry if you're disappointed that your le i'm so quirky ghetto shitcade doesn't impress anyone but it's shit and this is a waste of a thread.
>>
>>3323760
It should be possible, although I don't know if you'd be able to use the Advantage case for that without some extreme hassle. I was going to do this myself but ended up making a single multistick using a Cthulhu board rather than making individual sticks for each system. Only downside of a multistick is the loss of turbo.
>>
>>3323986
This thread is about The Advantage you fucking weeaboo with a superiority trip. Nobody cares about your living room coffee table trying too hard bullshit. All I ever cared about in regards to this thread was The Advantage and how to make the best use of it instead of playing it in a typical living room setup. Your posts were a fucking waste from your opportunistic attempt to one-up me with your superior knowledge of cocktail tables to your continued tirade of my dick is bigger than yours bullshit. Just stick that candy shit up your ass and shut the fuck up already. Either talk about The Advantage or go cum all over your japanese fetish stick to shut yourself the fuck up loser.
>>
>>3324056
But.. the turbo dials are what makes The Advantage kick so much ass.
>>
>>3324690
I agree they are great, but I personally wouldn't play on a non-microswitched stick if I didn't have to.
>>
>>3324670
To you, this thread is about you shitposting your ghetto setup that happens to have an advantage because that's what the thrift store had. Sorry you didn't get the circle jerk you were hoping for ese
>>
>>3325318
Go sit your asshole on your neon gay japstick.

Advantage sends it's turbo fire regards.
>>
File: si-130924134637-960[1].jpg (52 KB, 960x487) Image search: [Google]
si-130924134637-960[1].jpg
52 KB, 960x487
So the discussion has degraded to arcade stick shitposting now?

Pic related is $40 brand new. If you want the best NES arcade sticks, fire up the drill press and bend yourself up a piece of sheet metal then wrap it in this, populate it with your choice of components and solder it up to some knockoff controllers' PCBs - total cost of materials well under $100 I'm sure.
>>
>>3326923
I paid $10 for the Advantage w/ the box.

Did it ever occur to you joystick fuckers that some people actually like the console sticks from back in the day because that's what they're used to playing with? Admittedly I fucking suck at shooters without the turbo and being able to adjust the speed lets you find the sweet spot for each game.

It's cool that people want to argue for better standards with certain things, but we're essentially talking about NES peripherals here, not arguing which joystick is the elite level. So stfu about microswitches and that bullshit, people like using the advantage to play NES games. It's not like I'm suggesting anyone use this in a mame cabinet or some shit.
>>
>>3326965
The question was
>What's the best NES setup for simulating an arcade experience?
Not whatever question you're trying to answer.
>>
>>3320568
I still have my original NES Advantage and your setup is exactly the way I used to play, OP. Right on top of a desk and sitting way too fucking close to my 19" TV. I still have my C64, too....

Wait, you're not the kid version of me posting from the 1980s, are you?
>>
>>3327170
I mean, man I knew the internet was slow, but I didn't think it was that slow.
>>
>>3326965
Don't forget that the only kind of gaming that really matters is the kind you enjoy the most. The only person who needs to approve of your gaming is you. Whatever setup makes you happy is the correct setup.

You're still wrong about the microswitches, though.
>>
>>3326965
No one likes using the advantage. They delude themselves into thinking they do because a $10 thrift store stick is the most they'll ever achieve.
>>
I saved up like $40 for an Advantage as a child. I didn't gain any advantage in using it. I was pretty good at button mashing so the turbo input wasn't useful for me. I didn't have any games the slow function worked well with.

My cousin had the NES MAX pad. It looks like shit and the trackpad thing was worthless, but the turbo buttons fired off flying knees in Double Dragon 2 with high consistancy, so I was always jealous that he got more function out of his pad than mine.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 225x225
>>3327945
>Look at me everybody
>>
>>3327982
To be fair, the Advantage is a really strange size.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.