[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Chronicles really a bad Tomb Raider game? Never played but,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: Tomb_Raider_-_Chronicles.png (286 KB, 300x397) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_Raider_-_Chronicles.png
286 KB, 300x397
Is Chronicles really a bad Tomb Raider game?

Never played but, it can't be worst than 3 or Angel of darkness right?
>>
At the time being sold as a full-priced game, with less content than previous titles, more bugs, Pierre and Larson being written in for absolutely no good reason, and Eidos paying magazines for favourable review scores, it was a a bitter release. Still not as bad as AoD though.
Nowadays as a really cheap downloadable, it's a fine slice of classic Tomb Raiding, even if it's not as good as the previous titles, and the PC version comes with the level editing tools.
>>
>>3319897
5 games on 1 console generation.

You'll never see that happening nowadays.
>>
>>3320080
Don't know if sarcasm.

Assassins Creed anyone?

Also it's a bit hilarious that the fourth Asassins Creed game is called Asassins Creed Relevations and the fourth Tomb Raider game is called The Last Revelation
>>
>>3320094
Right after I posted that, I realized there's 8 Call of Duty games on PS3...
>>
>>3319897
>, it can't be worst than 3
I'm sorry but is TR3 really considered?
>>
>>3320108
considered bad*?
>>
I've played all 5 main games, and Chronicles isn't really that bad, just short and disconnected. While the other games take between 20~38 hours to complete, Chronicles is 11~12 hours only.
>>
>>3320137
Jesus. You took 20+ hours on the Tomb Raider games? Even 38 hours?

Chronicles is about 10 hours. Tomb Raider 1-4 are 13-16 hours tops. I think Legend is the shortest at well under 8 hours,

I have only played 1-5 and Legend as well as TR13 and RotTR. So there might be another one that is shorter.
>>
>>3320080
The PS2 had:
>FIFA 2001
>FIFA Football 2002
>FIFA Football 2003
>FIFA Football 2004
>FIFA Football 2005
>FIFA 06
>FIFA 07
>FIFA 08
>FIFA 09
>FIFA 10
>FIFA 11
>FIFA 12
>FIFA 13
>FIFA 14
>>
>>3320108
I wouldn't consider it bad. It just doesn't compare well to previous two. Lot of locations are bit too modern ( London, Nevada, Antarctica base ) - hardly any tombs, really. The atmosphere in first one was excellent, but three quite doesn't have it - plus weapon progression is bit silly.
I do like that you can choose locations, although it has trouble with difficulty curve etc.
>>
>>3320161
Those are only the mainline games theres also:
>FIFA Street
>FIFA Street 2
>2002 FIFA World Cup
>FIFA World Cup: Germany 2006
>UEFA Euro 2004
>UEFA Euro 2008
>UEFA Champions League 2004–2005
>UEFA Champions League 2006–2007
>>
>>3320161
They are not real sequels, just roster updates.
>>
>>3320161
Oh yeah, I think up to 2008 they are psp ports.
>>
>>3320151
Wrong. The total time that appears when you finish the game is not really your total time. I think it was 4 or 5 months ago when we polled our times in the 5 main games here on /vr/, and discovered that the game doesn't count a lot of stuff. Here are my times (Steam overlay time, not in-game clock).

*All of those are total times _with_ the expansions, that's why TR2 and 3 are the longest:
- TR1: 21 hours
- TR2: 38 hours
- TR3: 34 hours
- TR4: 31 hours
- TR5: 12 hours

Another unrelated game that had the same kind of disparity was La Mulana. While my in-game time was 22 hours, Steam overlay time was 38 hours.
>>
>>3320137
>just short and disconnected
Also kinda bland. The series wasn't exactly known for being innovative, but everything in Chronicles apart from the Ireland levels feels like an insubstantial retread of 2 and 3.
>>
>>3320165
Honestly of the original 5, I liked 3 the best. However, I never played the first and never finished the 5th.. so I'm sure I missed out on something special of the first game.

That said though, I do see what you mean about TR3's difficulty. I think the whole jungle setting at the start is perfectly in tune with the theming of the series, there's plenty of lost temples and shit and the sense of mystery and obscurity still carries on to most of the other areas. However, I do agree that London was a bad choice and it felt really out of place and the worst part about Nevada was the Area 51 levels. Not necessarily because the prison level takes away all your shit, though, it's more due to how cramped everything is and the camera just can't handle it, it was such a pain in the ass and another factor that made London so shit was due to how dark it is. I remember having to crank up the brightness when you have to go underwater, it sucked.
>>
TR Chronicles is just an afterthought to the series. Core even admitted that their only intention was to make a quick cash-in with the TR Last Revelation editing tools that they had on hand.

The game has only a handful of levels divided into blocks. Each block represents a different timeline of Lara's life. The first block has a young Lara exploring Rome, then an older Lara exploring a submarine and surrounding deep-sea locations in the second block, then back to a younger version of Lara exploring the Black Isle region without any weapons to defend herself. The final block has adult Lara raiding a high-tech complex.

Aside from maybe the Rome block, the level design is pretty bland and uninspired. Core also went a little too far in making puzzles and objectives incredibly obscure. i.e. It's not at all evident that Lara is capable of interacting with certain objects or passages that she was never previously able to interact with in other TR games. You might run around the same area for hours and never figure this stuff out. I guess it's a great way to sell an accompanying strategy guide, though.

The game is probably worth its current market value if you feel like you need another TR fix, but as far as its original retail price? No way. I think Core would have done better to port all the PC-exclusive expansions to the PS1 instead. There are plenty of people who didn't get to play TR1 and 2 Gold, or The Lost Artifact. TR2 Gold alone is probably longer than TRC.
>>
This was still back in the time when game reviewers were punishing sequels simply for being yearly updates with little to few new ideas.
>>
>>3319897 (OP)
It's not bad but it's not great either

Tomb Raider I, II and III are goat tier

There is an observable drop in quality (technical quality, gameplay quality, developers-giving-a-fuck quality) in Tomb Raider IV and V.

Tomb Raider IV is huge but uninspired, repetitive and boring.
Tomb Raider V is small and obviously a money grab.
But at least the two final adventures in V (Ireland + The Tower) are original and imo make Tomb Raider V better and much more fun than IV.

Tomb Raider AOD is a piece of shit. No question about it.

Eidos taking the license from Core Design was the best thing they could do.
Core Design didn't fuck up just AOD but had 3 shitty games in a row (Last Revelation, Chronicles and AOD - The Final Insult)

But, If you are a big fan of the classic Tomb Raider games you should try Chronicles, it has it's good parts, but only on the PlayStation, the PC version is a buggy POS.
>>
>>3320581
You mean what they should be doing now?
I dunno how even the densest kid with no internet access cant see through the endless Ubisoft AC rehashes
>>
>>3322012
Yeah I mean they should be doing that now
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.