[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can i get some recommendations for some good rpgs? Im lookin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: icon175x175.png (11 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
icon175x175.png
11 KB, 175x175
Can i get some recommendations for some good rpgs? Im lookin for games with awesome characters and stories. Ive played ff9, grandia, chrono trigger, chrono cross, xenogears, and ff7. Ps1 and snes preferred

psp and ds are ok too if anything comes to mind

Thanks guys
>>
My personal favorite is Breath of Fire 4.

Though if you liked Grandia check out the Lunars
>>
>>3319108
I'd recommend
Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>3319120
I know the stories are independent, but if there any reason to play bof3 before 4?

I tried the gba port of lunar, but i actually fell asleep about 2 hours in. Does it get less boring?
>>
File: cdrpgs_plunarss_2-1920x1200.jpg (783 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cdrpgs_plunarss_2-1920x1200.jpg
783 KB, 1920x1200
>>3319126
>I know the stories are independent, but if there any reason to play bof3 before 4?

Not really no. I mean it's good but I just like 4 better.

>>3319126
>I tried the gba port of lunar, but i actually fell asleep about 2 hours in. Does it get less boring?

the gba port of the game is infamously bad. the CD and PS1 versions are far far better
>>
>>3319121
Im not much for srpgs, but if it has exceptional story or characters ill give it a shot.

Ive heard great stuff about valkyrie profile, is it true you need a walkthrough to get a decent ending though?
>>
Valkyre profile, Lunar and Star Ocean have ports on the PSP

any of those any good?
>>
>>3319136

Not really.
>>
>>3319130
Alright, ill give em a shot. Thanks anon
>>
>>3319108
Live a Live
Final Fantasies 4, 5, and 6.
The Adventures of Hourai High
Tales of Phantasia
Terranigma
Mario RPG
>>
>>3319136
Op here.
One of the big draws for me with star ocean was how gorgeous it looked on the sfc. Psp version completely redoes the graphics. It is not an improvement
>>
>>3319147
Op here. Terranigma is the shit. Forgot to mention that one. I got halfway through ff6 and realized i didnt care about any of the characters, so i dropped it. Ff4 was good, never beat it. Super mario rpg is also a good, fun adventure with great gameplay. I dunno, i just didnt miss the characters after id finished it, you know?
>>
>>3319136
Valkyrie Profile is a fucking great game once you get used to it.

Star Ocean is okay.

The Lunar games are a gigantic meme.
>>
>>3319164
How are they a gigantic meme? Not being a dick. Whats wrong with em? Id like to know before going in
>>
>>3319108
Lufia 2?
>>
>>3319191
There's just nothing noteworthy about them. Generic JRPGs to the extreme, with hardly any depth to the gameplay or story. Bad voice acting.
>>
>>3319136
Yes. All of them.
>>
>>3319162
Not liking characters in FF6? You are a lost cause. Abandon this shit OP
>>
>>3319247

>Edgar will never hit on you

why live
>>
>>3319247
I dunno, i just didnt care. The games beautiful, the gameplay is decent. Its not a bad game. Just... The characters did nothing for me.
>>
>>3319191

They're not. He's being a cunt.
>>
File: Sugoi_Mizugi_image.gif (880 B, 40x48) Image search: [Google]
Sugoi_Mizugi_image.gif
880 B, 40x48
Shining Force. I'm getting kind of bored of shining force 2 and replaying the first one because it's so good.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (158 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
158 KB, 640x448
Phantasy Star IV
>>
Just started bof4. Thus game us freakin beautiful
>>
File: 1451412011869.jpg (228 KB, 551x800) Image search: [Google]
1451412011869.jpg
228 KB, 551x800
>>3319378
Yup, definitely fun to look at. Some of the best sprite animations you will ever see.
>>
fire emblem genealogy of the holy war if you're okay with a strategy rpg
>>
File: 678819-198844_52980_front.jpg (81 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
678819-198844_52980_front.jpg
81 KB, 640x640
> no suikoden mentioned

Try Suikoden 2. Tons of great characters and story is about warring states. You can recruit up to 108 characters on the game.

Playing suikoden 1 first will unlock additional character.
>>
Final Fantasy 8. Don't let the ass-mad mongs who didn't understand the Junction system put you off.
>>
>>3321393

>tfw you play the Card Queen because you're trying stuff out and ruin all the rules you didn't even understand
>>
File: may sf2.jpg (171 KB, 571x800) Image search: [Google]
may sf2.jpg
171 KB, 571x800
>>3319274
2 has better waifus.
>>
>>3319259
I actually understand this perspective. Most 3rd and 4th gen RPG's had pretty weak characterization if there was any present at all. FF6 is more of a product of its time in this regard, though it has significantly more characterization than most of its contemporaries (barring Chrono Trigger which had incredible characterization for a 4th gen game.

If strong character development is something you desire in an rpg I would recommend sticking with 5th gen games and later for the most part.
>>
>>3321560
Thank you anon!
>>
>>3319634
This game is so good, seriously fantastic
>>
>>3319108
Legend of Dragoon
>>
File: 567587658.jpg (16 KB, 221x225) Image search: [Google]
567587658.jpg
16 KB, 221x225
>>3319108
If you haven't played Legend of Legaia, you better get to it OP.
>>
>>3324552
I havent. Gonna add it to the list. Thanks bro
>>
Wild Arms, and especially Wild Arms 2.
>>
Alundra fun, Zelda knockoff but it's still good
>>
>>3319634
Came her to post this. Suikoden II is probably my second favourite jrpg ever, after FF9 (which was the first one I ever played, so my judgement might not be objective).
>>
>>3319132
>is it true you need a walkthrough to get a decent ending though?
Yes. Getting the best ending involves lowering your own score temporarily (there's a certain value that shows how "well" you're doing in the game) and then getting it up again later. Also involves triggering certain events at a specific point of the story.
>>
dont play anything but ff7 all others will dissapoint
>>
>>3319221
I recently saw a copy of this game in dutch at my local gameshop

seems kind of dank to have a rpg game in dutch, should i go back and buy it if they still have it?
>>
>>3327105
KANKER
>>
>>3327130
Verwijder Dit
>>
>>3319108
Why not play Grandia II on Dreamcast?
>>
>>3319120
Not him, but I'm considering starting the BoF series. Which version of BoF1 should I go for? I heard the original was pretty grindy, but apparently the GBA version when too far in the other direction making it too easy? That's what I heard elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask.
>>
>>3328542
GBA with the palette restoration patch.
>>
>>3328620
Alright. And I assume 2 with retrans\ and PSP 3 should be fine?
>>
>>3328542

BOF1 is pretty much the most generic JRPG ever. Skip it and play the retranslated version BOF2 instead.
>>
>>3328645
I'm too autistic to skip games in a series and I'm sure I've played more generic.
>>
>>3327105
You don't really need to if you just wanna play the game. It was one of the first games I ever played and I still love to replay it 20 years later but the dutch translation isn't really impressive. It was amazing back then because most European countries had to deal with the (US) english translations most of the time. However, you could just get the more general EU version in english. I mean, even now it's still cheaper to get Lufia 2 than something like let's say Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger for SNES.
>>
>>3319130
stop promoting my favorite game to these normies REEE
>>
>>3319108
Do Not fall for the Suikoden meme, repeat DO NOT fall for the Suikoden meme.
Play Earthbound
Mother 3
Lunar
Lunar 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Skies of Arcadia
Phantasy Star IV
Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Lufia 2
>>
>>3329772
i meant paper mario on gamecube but the n64 one is great also
>>
>>3329772
You're embarrassing yourself
>>
File: 10026231.jpg (66 KB, 376x600) Image search: [Google]
10026231.jpg
66 KB, 376x600
>>3328647
Fair enough. Just play whichever version of BOF1 is easiest for you to get your hands on.

>>3328645
This guy is right.
>>
>>3329772
And yet you fell for the Tales of Symphonia meme.
>>
>>3329772
Hey man. Suikoden 2 was awesome. I tried 1, but just couldnt get into it after playing 2. But the sprites are beautiful in both games. And the whole jowy thing was pretty well done in my opinion. Lucca blight is overblown and drawn out though
>>
Well, Suikoden 1 is my guilty pleasure. Shit game all around, but I legitimately enjoyed it anyway.
>>
>>3329898
>I tried 1, but just couldnt get into it after playing 2

This is why I always recommend S1 before S2.
Even if not great, it's a 10 hour game, offers lots of story/char development, expands the Suikoden world and unlocks a bunch of interesting things in the second game. Just get it done.
>>
File: the-guillotine-large.jpg (121 KB, 960x1248) Image search: [Google]
the-guillotine-large.jpg
121 KB, 960x1248
>>3330151
>Shit game all around
Get your head in.
>>
>>3329772
>Do Not fall for the Suikoden meme, repeat DO NOT fall for the Suikoden meme.
>Tales of Symphonia
Hmmm... right. good taste aside from that though
>>
File: 675597576.jpg (588 KB, 700x587) Image search: [Google]
675597576.jpg
588 KB, 700x587
long time rpgfag here. here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

games already mentioned:

>lunar and lunar 2 - solid old school style jrpgs. fairy tale like story and characters. fun and memorable games. a bit on the harder side, though.

>valkyrie profile - turned based / action hybrid battle system. pretty different and original in most ways. repetitive but fun. and yes, check a walkthrough if you want the best ending your first time through.

>breath of fire IV - another solid game. mixes things up with its battle system and has a few cool mini games like fishing and the fairy village. story gets a little dark at times.

>suikoden and suikoden II - it's hard for me to give an unbiased opinion, because these two are pretty much my favorite games ever. gameplay and battles are pretty straight forward, but characters will stick with you and the story will move you so long as you're not a soulless prick. also, recruiting any of the 108 characters is always fun.

>final fantasy tactics - great, almost shakespearean-like story and characters. amazing soundtrack. incredibly addicting battles and character customization. give it a try, even if srpgs ain't your thing.

>star ocean 2 - again, pretty generic story and characters, but done well enough. fun real time action battles. engaging item creation system. another great soundtrack. also, a weird affinity system between characters.

>alundra - zelda clone done right. kind of outdated now, but still fun if you're into that kind of gameplay. you help the people in town by going inside their dreams and fixing whatever's tormenting them. explore a large world map full of dungeons and treasure for you to find. puzzles are well done and give a lot of people a hard time.

-cont.
>>
File: 675865786908.jpg (382 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
675865786908.jpg
382 KB, 600x530
>>3331393

-cont.

games not yet mentioned:

>tales of eternia - I'm a long time fan of the series. and IMO, eternia is the best of the first few games. play the undub ISO on PSP, if possible. I could swear that version had faster and smoother battles. story and characters are pretty generic but perfectly aceptable. battles are fun and action packed. also, getting the craymels is one of the most fun things in the whole series.

>parasite eve - survival horror / rpg hybrid. fun, unorthodox battle system. 90's style horror movie plot set in christmas time NYC. one kickass female protagonist. sick soundtrack. just check out the intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AhvCRDDD2U

>azure dreams: rogue-like + dating sim + town building mix. you progress slowly and it gets repetitive, but still very fun. climb up the tower dungeon, get loot, come back, breed your collectible monsters, renovate town, and charm your waifu. try it out if that sounds like your thing.

that's it from me. I'm probably forgetting one or two good games, but these are definitely the ones I hold in high regard, from the ps1 era.
have fun.
>>
Great taste in this thread.

Also, I feel like more people should give Arc the Lad 2 a shot.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.