[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I supposed to play this game using the d-pad or the analog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
Am I supposed to play this game using the d-pad or the analog?
>>
File: mgs-twin-snakes.jpg (123 KB, 800x1136) Image search: [Google]
mgs-twin-snakes.jpg
123 KB, 800x1136
>>3318871
>not playing the superior remake
>>
>>3318878

I plan on playing that one later, but everyone insisted that I should play the original first.
>>
>>3318871
You're not supposed to play it, at all. It's a meme-game for hipsters and faggots.

Duh.
>>
>>3318871
D-pad.
>>
I think with the sticks, if I remember right it was an early supporter of the new dual shock controller. Shit made me sick to my stomach whenever it vibrated.
>>
>>3318878
>autistic anime-esque cutscenes
>>
>>3318907

Just as Kojima wanted.
>>
>>3318878
>>3318889
Please, stop.
>>
>>3318871
Keyboard, emulating on your moms laptop. Be the /vr/ 99%.
>>
>>3319209

I'm playing on PS3.
the default was the d-pad but I was expecting analog would be the way to play it.
>>
Dpad. While it supports analog, it's really just tacked on support that just emulates the dpad. As such, the dpad gives you much better control.
>>
>>3318871

What feels better to you?
>>
>>3319425
Not really, Snake can move in any of the 8bit axis values while using the left analog so you effectively got more control. I say give it a try, you'll thank me when you play the sequels.
>>
>>3318907

It's the direction the series went.
>>
>>3319676

I just marathoned 4 hours, I'll try the analog tomorrow or next time I play it.
From what I can tell, the d-pad might be better because you can quickly change direction in the same place by tapping on any of the 4 directions. You can walk diagonally, but the game still has a weird control that seems to be still based on Metal Gear 2 on MSX (on MG2 you can also change direction while standing if you tap the directionals).

I suffered some parts due to the controls, like when you have to run up the stairs while soldiers are chasing you, the camera is in a weird angle and the controls aren't the most intuitive. Nice homage to MG2 though.
>>
File: 1466983472656.jpg (90 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
1466983472656.jpg
90 KB, 600x255
nether that game is a waist of time.
>>
>>3318871
The game doesn't even support analogue input, does it?
>>
Huh? Just a box..
>>
>>3319802
>>
IMO aiming the socom is a bitch with the D-pad, so I prefer stick
>>
>>3318881
release order is best order, anon, you are doing it great.
also, if you are willing to and wanna visit non canon/remakes and stuff, don´t skip Ghost Babel or Portable Ops
AC!D is pretty fun, also
>>
>>3320405

Yeah, I played MG1 and 2 and now am doing MGS.
I actually am interested on the non-canon stuff, I'll play Ghost Babel for sure, and I want to go back and play the NES games. I know the first one is considered bad, I might skip that one, but I want to try Snake's Revenge, that one looks good.
>>
>>3319212
The PS3 version defaults to dpad but has stick support in the system menu
>>
>>3320497
yes, you can´t skip the nes port, since is just a crappy version of the original. Snake´s Revenge, on the other hand, is not bad.
If posible, play Ghost Babel in release order, between 1 & 2. It feels great as serves like an introduction to MGS2 (spoiler incoming): [Spoiler]The game is a VR mission lead by Raiden, so that expand Raiden in 2 talking about impersonating Snake in VR before, making it feel more cohesive [Spoiler]
>>
dpad
>>
>>3321402

I will still try to play the NES version of MG1 and see how far I can get.
I just finished MGS a few minutes ago.
Good thing I followed the anon's advice who said analog is better for aiming than d-pad, it really is, although d-pad is better for more precise move (I died a lot of times trying to get that one ration next to the lava).
The controls are still shitty either way, but good thing you can use either analog or d-pad without having to switch them from the PS3 home menu.
The last part with the turret on the car was a nightmare, the aiming was really bad, especially when Liquid came close and then to the side of the car, I really couldn't tell if I was shooting in the right direction most of the time, I imagine it would be 10 times worse with the d-pad.

I was spoiled to heck with this series so don't worry, it's hard to avoid spoilers of a series this old. I'm mostly interested on the gameplay and design, not the plot.
I'll see what I play next, I could start MGS2, but I also have VR Missions (is that one worth playing?), and now that you mention it, I should play Ghost Babel before MGS2.
I might as well play the NES games while I'm at it.
>>
File: IMG_20160209_204152.jpg (425 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_204152.jpg
425 KB, 2592x1944
>>3319884
>Meryl...
>>
>>3319209
PC version runs on anything. Long as you can bear the sound quality.
>>
>>3321402
>The game is a VR mission lead by Raiden, so that expand Raiden in 2 talking about impersonating Snake in VR before, making it feel more cohesive

This is bullshit
>>
>>3321939
I´m happy you liked MGS anon
Try some VR missions (I´m asuming we´re talking about MGS Integral) It is just gameplay, no plot at all, but is fun playing in weird scenarios and with different environment
Don´t get too crazy about playing Ghost Babel strictly before MGS2 due to release order, but is recommended since it´s perhaps the greatest 2d entry in the saga, so you will apreciate it more now (having played MG & MG2 days ago) than before.
Have a good time feeling like a soldier training in VR in both games, it will make MGS2 very confy
>>
>>3318878
You mean the one they changed all the music and ruined that atmosphere of the game.
>>
>>3318871
D pad or analog doesn't matter really , what matters is your playing the good version of the game/movie and your in for one good movie lol.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.