[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /vr/, I come from /g/ seeking your help. I am trying to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
Hi /vr/, I come from /g/ seeking your help.

I am trying to get Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit to run on Ubuntu 14.04 and it's giving me a hard time.

I've tried installing it via PlayonLinux which, after some workarounds, ended with me being able to access the menu and load up a race, but the game then crashed when the track was loaded (but before it was displayed).

Now I set up a VM with Windows 98 SE, installed SciTech Display Doctor to have access to resolutions other than 640x480 16 colors (not 16 bit, 16 colors = 4 bit). Now my display is set to 800x600 True Color which is nice.
Need for Speed was installed without any problems but when I try to start the game the screen flashes black for a fraction of a second and that's it. When I open up 3dsetup (which should let me choose the graphics driver) I can only choose "Software Renderer".

Can anyone help me with this? I don't have access to my old PC from back when.
>>
Here's a screenshot of the 3dsetup.exe.
>>
Bumping this once.
Am I seriously the only one trying to get this to run?
>>
use windows
>>
>>3317806
Hi LGR
>>
>>3320521
Who?

>>3320450
I'm trying, but it's not working.
Was that a hidden install gentoo reference?
>>
>>3317806
you can only choose software renderer because that's all you have in your VM. If your VM supports 3D acceleration, get its drivers ready, then maybe try again. Also, glide wrappers. That games does prefer 3dfx cards.
In general, welcome to the world of ancient 3D accelerated windows games. They're a bitch to play, because VMs lack the features, and actual hardware can't run them any longer
>>
>>3320521

>LGR using Ubunutu or VM to run games he can run on his Hot Wheels PC

Get your shit straight, son.
>>
>>3320656
It supports 3D acceleration but I'm not sure how to get drivers for it that will work on Windows 98. I'll look into glide wrappers, thank you.

I pray to god my mom still has the old Pentium II family pc, or dad's old Pentium III work PC somewhere.
>>
>>3320720
usually VMs have some "integrations", that you can select from a menu or so (take a look at the Machine menu while it runs, might be in there). Ends up as a CD drive in your windows machine, with a bunch of drivers. RTFM, as usual.
>>
>>3320726
Yeah, the Host integration or something. Those drivers aren't compatible with Windows 98 it seems, I already tried installing those.
>>
>>3320862
that's a major problem then. Have you considered running an XP VM? The game's compatible, as far as I know
>>
>>3320885
I tried running it through Wine emulating Win XP and it said the game only runs in Windows 95 and 98.
Guess I'll see if an actual Win XP VM will make a difference, but not today.
>>
>>3317806
I suppose you never tried to play it on fullscreen yet.
>>
>>3323116
Sure I did. I suppose you never tried to read the thread yet.
>>
>>3324579
have you tried NFS 4? The physics are slightly different, but it effectively has a tweaked NFS 3 engine, and contains most (all?) of the NFS 3 tracks. It also has a vastly superior, and by today still not surpassed career mode
>>
>>3324585
Yes, but I get the same issue.
I'll just wait until I visit my mom again and requisition the old Pentium III family PC, put a legit Win 98 copy on it and play my old games.
> NFS 3 (and 4 but I haven't played that before)
>>
>>3324586
be sure to use analog input for 4, it greatly benefits from it
>>
>>3324592
I'd never dream of playing a racing game on the keyboard.
>>
>>3324595
You'd be surprised. NFS 3 has pretty solid keyboard support, including controllable tire squeal. It feels a little off with analog input, because a lot of things only trigger when you max out an axis. Trackmania actually works best with a keyboard, better than with analog input
>>
>>3320897
http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/
Here is a third party patch that allows NFS3 running on Windows XP and later. I did not try it under Wine, but its readme mentions some problems with fog under Wine, so I assume it runs under Wine more or less. Perhaps you would want to check it out.
>>
>>3324601
My memory's a bit hazy, I played NFS 3 on keyboard back in the day before I had a gamepad. Preferred the pad though.
> steering with left analog stick
> accelerate / break with right analog stick
Fucking kill me. The concept of shoulder buttons eluded me.

>a lot of things only trigger when you max out an axis
I noticed this in NFS:MW and I actually prefer the analog stick for that very reason. I can better control when I want to induce oversteer, for example.
And you're right, Trackmania is indeed better on the keyboard. I stand corrected.

>>3324603
I'll look into it, thank you. But I think I'll go full retro and just use an old PC.
>>
>>3324608
even when going for a real machine, it's not a bad idea to give these patches a closer look, as occasionally they may also fix other bugs. In general, be sure to grab at the very least the latest official patches before even starting it for the first time.
>>
>>3324579
I dunno, I don't see where you said it.
Anyway, have you managed to get rid of black bars around the screen?
>>
>>3324608
>I actually prefer the analog stick for that very reason
understandable. It's definitely more control. It bothers me slightly, because it exposes the "artifical nature" of these effects. Feels so much cooler when it's all organic and yet you manage to wrestle the car. Even if it's a fake mechanic like break to over oversteer, still feels better in the guts than the threshold. But that's like, just my opinion, man.
>>
>>3324620
widescreen = off
>>
>>3324620
there's a black bar just down the street, and it's pretty cool. Nice drinks, friendly people. Why would I want to get rid of that?
>>
>>3324620
You're right, I didn't. My bad. Yes, I tried it both windowed and in fullscreen.
> black bars around the screen
???
I started it in 800x600 resolution and my monitor is set up so the image isn't stretched to fit 16:9 so letterboxing is expected. I am not bothered by this. I am bothered by the game's failure to function.

>>3324623
Yeah, I get that. I just prefer the more natural feel of being able to input slight steering and throttle / brakes when I want to. Sometimes I drive through MW's city or in GTA SA without braking traffic laws.
>>
>>3320641
Genuine confusion
>>
>>3324629
>Sometimes I drive through MW's city or in GTA SA without braking traffic laws.
That's when you know a sandbox actually works, especially if the simulation doesn't break down. For me TDU is that game. MW is indeed quite gorgeous though. I'd love to play it again, but it does not like the 360 controller. /vr/ or not, isn't it sad that despite all the capabilities, no modern game captures that feeling as well as these comparably old games?
I personally consider TDU an inofficial NFS game. It does NFS the way the old games did, before Underground. Just gorgeous locations, gorgeous luxury cars, how it was supposed to be.
>>
>>3324629
> I started it in 800x600 resolution
800x600 on the host?

>???
You know, my VirtualBox don't stretch image to fill full screen, so I have centered 800x600 rectangle in the 1366x768 black box.
>>
>>3324640
Ah I see what you mean now. No, those are still there.
800x600 in the client.
>>
File: 9dc.gif (4 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
9dc.gif
4 MB, 576x324
>>3324653
T-thanks...
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.