[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the worst classic-style Resident Evil game: Nemesis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: resident-evils.jpg (137 KB, 500x226) Image search: [Google]
resident-evils.jpg
137 KB, 500x226
Which is the worst classic-style Resident Evil game: Nemesis or Code Veronica?
>>
Can't we just like them both for their own merits?

It's like you guys sit around all day dreaming up shit threads to start arguments with.
>>
>>3314682
They're both great. Try starting a thread on Genesis music instead.
>>
>>3314702
Phil Collins rules

>>3314682
I feel like this thread was started with the specific intent to get me arguing with nesfag.
>>
File: Claire.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Claire.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>3314742
they're both really cool, anon

I guess CV has kind of a gay final boss, but it's not that bad, plus the sub bosses were all pretty rockin
>>
File: 1363129914696.gif (423 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1363129914696.gif
423 KB, 500x365
Between the two, CV (but out of all the classic RE games, 0 is the worst). From a gameplay perspective, 3 felt newer, fresher. It had some interesting mechanics like the dodge, branching story paths, ammo mixing, etc. Plus I think we can all agree that Operation Mad Jackal is the best extra mode.

3 actually has more replay value than people give it credit for, with the branching paths, randomized weapons & enemies, and all of the extra costumes that Jill has (7 on PC and DC) ensure that no two playthroughs are the same.
>>
>>3314773
Oh yeah, and in 3 you could freely walk up and down stairs. In CV you still had to press the action button and go through a stiff ass animation (most of CV's animations were stiff as hell for some reason).
>>
CV, because of the censored headshots. That was half the fun of getting a shotgun.
>>
I like both
>>
>>3314682
Can RE2 for the dreamcast be emulated, also what are the best ports for RE 1 and 3
>>
I really love RE (and REmake), RE2, RE:Code Veronica y RE:Zero.

RE3:Nemesis... Meh, no is "SHIT", but i dont like him too much. But is better than 4, 5 and 6.
>>
>>3314682
RE 3 was god tier but a bit too short
>>
The worst classic RE game is RE0.

RE2>RE3>REmake>CVX>>>>>>RE1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE0
>>
>>3314682
3 felt to much like clock tower but with guns. I don't mind clock tower but gets boring fighting tyrant over and over again
>>
>>3314682
I like 3 much more than Code Veronica, but I still like Code Veronica, anon.

[whispers] I think the first Resident Evil was the worst classic one, actually...
>>
>>3315287
>>3315410 (me)
Oh wait, if we're including the GC games, then yeah, 0 is absolutely the worst. The Remake's probably my favorite.
>>
>>3315287
An objectively correct list.

I'd say RE3 is on the same tier as REmake though.
>>
>>3314682
RE3 is my absolute favorite of the classic series. RE2 gets thrown around as the most popular one and I highly regard it as probably the best classic survival horror game of that era, but 3 is my personal favorite.

Code Veronica... is not bad at all by comparison. In terms of execution, gameplay, feel... it's not that different from the others, besides being fully 3D rendered. I can't in good conscience call it worse, if not for the fact that I love RE3 much more.

>>3315287
>The worst classic RE game is RE0
I agree. I hated it. Never even got to the end.
>>
>>3314682
I have always seen RE3 as an expansion to RE2 and later when that I found out CV was going to be the actual sequel it kind of made cense.

Im more of a story follower and yes RE3 has an updated gameplay but CV felt to me the superior one in every way even gameplay wise it felt more of a sequel to RE2 retaining the same mechanics.
>>
I JUST BOUGHT CODE VERONICA FOR THE DREAMCAST

NOW PEOPLE SAY ITS SHIT

WHAT
>>
>>3315863
>PEOPLE SAY ITS SHIT

Did you even read the thread, anon?
>>
>>3315863
It's probably the weakest or second-weakest classic RE for multiple reasons, but it's not a bad game by any means.
>>
>>3315863

don't let other people's opinions about video games allow you to not enjoy something anon. it is still a good game by virtue of being an "early" Resident Evil title.
>>
Why wasn't Code: Veronica part of the numbered series? It could've easily been called Resident Evil 4 back in its day.
>>
>>3314682
Zero
>>
>>3316010
I think it was supposed to be RE3, but someone wanted to complete the trilogy on the PSX so they actually created RE3 after Code Veronica, even if it was released before.

For me it will always be the real RE4.
>>
>>3316071
I remember it had to do with RECV being outsourced or co-developed with Nextech, which was a Sega division and at the time they had no plans on porting it to PS2 since Sega was still in the hardware race.
>>
>>3315287
Terrible, terrible list... here's the fixed version:

RE2 > RE1 > RECV > RE3

REmake and RE0 ain't retro.
>>
>>3316632
>REmake and RE0 ain't retro.
Who gives a shit? They might as well be, given how the release of REmake and RE0 are much closer to RECV than something like RE5 or 6.
>>
>>3316896
>Who gives a shit?
People that don't want to shit up /vr/ by breaking the rules and posting Gamecube games?
>>
>>3316924
Unless the OP posts a picture of something a Xbox console or a GBA, most post-6th gen discussion gets pass the radar.
>>
>>3314682
CV, despite having some questionable design decisions, at least plays like a true RE. 3 is just way too action-y and the puzzles are shit tier.
>>
>>3316924
Said the guy making off-topic meta posts. You are the only person here breaking rules.
>>
File: ThuSep1715-52-542009.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ThuSep1715-52-542009.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
3 > 1 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CV

CV is shit on so many levels I could write a 10,000 words review about it.
>>
>>3317568
>3 is best
Garbage taste.
>>
3 = 2 > 1 = CV
>>
>>3317564
What kind of shitpost is this? He asked a question why I left out Gamecube games, so I answered him.

Stop being butthurt your gen 6 shit isn't allowed here, kid.
>>
>>3317571
3 has the most replay value:
It has the highest skill ceiling, controls are easy to learn but hard to master
Between the semi-random factors, the different things happening (both gameplay and story wise) depending on your actions, the ammo making system, the number of weapons, etc it has a lot of possibilities, giving it high replay value.

It also has the best pacing.
>>
>>3314773
>>3315287
>>3315584
>people who shit on Zero like RE3 the most
Oh the irony. You faggots are the worst kind and the reason series turned into TPS garbage (although the best kind of TPS garbage).
>I hate inventory management and route planning in my RE
>meme reskinned mr X, yellow and blue bullets, Carlos and le gunplay variety make a much better RE game because I'm autistic frog eater
Cunts.
>>
>>3317625
0 is decent, not the worst, but it's uninspired, and the few new things it brings on the table are flawed.
>>
>>3317625
REZ would've been alright if they hadn't gone through with that terrible partner system. Also the story kinda sucked.
>>
Neither, the series lost the script when they scrapped 1.5. Resident Evil was meant to end there and rightfully so. Instead it just bloated up into a mess of a franchise that still cannot decide if it's survival horror or action adventure.
>>
fuck you, both were good
>>
>>3317625
>>
>>3318495
> if it's survival horror or action adventure.

... what? But Survival Horror IS action adventure. It's even the genre name it was given to Alone In The Dark and all of its clones but RE1 came up with the "survival horror" title and the press picked it up. I'm sure you could even find reviews of RE1 calling it action adventure.
>>
>>3314682
Code Veronica was the best RE by far.
>>
>>3314682
Definetly Nemesis.
It was actually started off as a spin-off called Resident Evil: Nemesis, and Code Veronica was being developed as RE3 but Sony forced Capcom to rename the games.
>>
>>3320082
No, this is not true.

This is something we hear a lot, the confusion comes from the fact that both CV and RE3 were being developed at the same time; and that magazines tend to give random numbers to "sequels which name we don't know yet", so you may find magazines talking about "RE3 when they're in fact talkinga bout CV in the same way that you can find magazines calling Silent Hill:Homecoming "Silent Hill 5" or "Duke Nukem 4".

The first time Code Veronica was revealed, it was during E3, first time the game is mentioned at all, and you can clearly see the name "Resident Evil: Code Veronica".

As for RE3, it was never supposed to be a spin-off. CV was the "spin-off", technically a spin-off so they could develop it for another console than Sony's because they had a deal for 3 main games with them. Sony didn't "force" anything, Capcom made a deal and decided to honor it that way.

Mikami wanted RE3 to be an add-on for RE2, but that was only an idea during early concepts for the game. An add-on, on console, is a stupid idea, even if the game sold 5 millions.
>>
File: CV.jpg (356 KB, 1025x769) Image search: [Google]
CV.jpg
356 KB, 1025x769
>>3320116
Sorry I'm getting confused on the details, CV reveal wasn't during E3, I must be mistaking with RE3.

It was in September 1998, with images sent to magazines. You can clearly see "Biohazard: Code Veronica". Source : http://survivhor.biohazardfrance.net/

Obviously several magazines would say on the cover "EXCLUSIVE IMAGES OF RE3!" because that sounds better on a cover than a random game name we've never heard of before. Doesn't mean it was supposed to be "RE3" especially when the images clearly show otherwise.
>>
>>3320116
>As for RE3, it was never supposed to be a spin-off
The RE:3 we have today was indeed intended to be a spin off. The original name for the game which turned into RE:3 was BIOHAZARD Gaiden.

"Gaiden" was the initial name for LAST ESCAPE.

RE:CV was never RE:3. You got that bit correct.
>>
Having played both recently, here's my 2 cents:

Resident Evil 3 is a good game, but just isn't nearly as great as RE1 and RE2 were. I liked Nemesis actually being a threat, and there's tons of secrets and hidden stuff, but overall the encounters all feel less meaningful and its a little ridiculous just how much ammo you have to use throughout the game. I still enjoyed it, but it doesn't nail the RE feel.

Code Veronica on the other hand just feels like a mess. The pacing is all over, the level design is sprawling and not especially well designed. Often times it seems like the gameplay takes a back seat to the (inane) story, and it has the worst puzzles of classic RE imho. Its an alright game that is fun to play, but it seems totally half-baked to me. My least favorite of the classics.
>>
>>3320131
According to Survivhor, Mikami wanted RE3 to be an "add-on" called RE1.9.

The site doesn't mention it ever being a "spin off".

It's the most knowledge RE site on the subject of RE games development and betas I know of.
>>
>>3320143
Well i'm reading directly from an interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura the scenario writer of RE:3LastEscape
>>
>>3317625
This is very true. My favorite is 1. Encountering a zombie had weight
>>
>>3320213
>My favorite is 1
RE1 on the DS was glorious.
>>
File: Bio 1.5 chibi.png (534 KB, 546x506) Image search: [Google]
Bio 1.5 chibi.png
534 KB, 546x506
>>3318495
mah nigga
>>
I've played all the main RE games except for CV and RE3 is my personal favorite. It expands the gameplay with new mechanics like the dodge, ammo making and walking freely up the stairs. It's short but replayable as hell.

Watched a speedrun the other day. 44minutes!

Anyways, there are no bad RE games imho. Even re0 is good, crying because of muh missing vault is stupid. Use different strategies and get over it.
>>
>>3321036
Honestly the only RE game I disliked was REvelation and even then I found it to be more dull than bad. RE6 would've been better received if it wasn't part of the series.
>>
>>3317568
this nigga knows how shit goes. cv killed the series

>>3317571
only those who know how to appreciate re3 as the achievement of an evolution from 1 to 2 and then to those details in 3 that cant be noticed by the pleb eye, know that it is the best. it is not a matter of 'taste'.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.