[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Duke Nukem 3D Underrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15
File: dukenukem1.jpg (154 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
dukenukem1.jpg
154 KB, 960x544
Is it just me or is Duke 3D pretty underrated? Doom seems to get all the spotlight anymore and I hardly hear anyone talk about Duke nowadays. Sure DNF took some of the wind out of the series sails, but fuck that game, not retro anyway. I know Duke 3d is more popular and discussed than other games of it's day like Blood or Shadow Warrior, still and it may just be me, it feels like it's an underrated game.
>>
>>3314171
Nobody talks about Duke nowadays because it's not as accesible as Doom in regards of source ports and the modding scene.

Good game, way harder than Doom, it's a shame eDuke32 is the only way to play it without becoming insane
>>
Duke doesn't get as much love as Doom because Doom is easier to make content for. Theyre both old as motherfuck so the only thing keeping the community alive is new content and Doom has a lot more of that than Douk. Plenty of people rate the game, but it's not going to have the popularity of Doom because it doesn't have the constant trickle of new maps to play. It's like asking why nobody talks about Marathon anymore, it is definitely a good game but the editor is a bitch to get used to so relatively few people can make new content.
>>
>>3314171
you mean overrated
>>
>>3314234
No way. Doom has more fans (and hipsters fishing for gamer cred) obsessing over it than Duke. I've heard people talk shit on Duke for being 'corny' or shitty because of muh sexism, Doom is the sacred cow.
>>
>>3314183
>Marathon
>Good game

Pick one.
>>
>>3314171
Duke Nukem is a shitty game for sexually-repressed goobergater males to masturbate to while they fantasize about torturing, raping and murdering their oneitis.

Doom on the other hand, is a classy, timeless masterpiece handcrafted for alpha males who smash top-tier strange on the regular.

You literally cannot prove me wrong.
>>
>>3314259

I loved Doom back in the 90s and still enjoy playing it, but I get the feeling that >>3314259 is true. I'd bet that our Doom thread has the highest concentration of under age 20 (or fully underage) posters out of all the threads on /vr.
>>
>>3314339
meme
>>
>>3314259
>muh sexism
I can understand where this outrage came from, but it's unfounded.

Yeah old Duke hung out around strip clubs and tipped the girls for dancing. But they are strippers, that's their job. Not to mention his quest is to "save the babes" so he's putting women first in that scenario. Not to mention he was a positive role model, he loves to work out, water refills his health and he empowers body-positive women with monetary assistance. Worst he did was smoke a cigar, which is nowhere near as bad as smoking tobacco.

New Duke is literally just a sexist asshole and an establishment dick sucker. He became "the man" he was pretty much fighting against.

Way to fuck it all up.
>>
>>3314339
Chris Chan is a sexy piece of ass.
>>
>>3314259

Not sure what sexism exists in the series. There's a difference between sexism and objectification, though. Duke Nukem objectifies women, but it wouldn't be sexist unless all the female characters were on their hands and knees scrubbing the floors in two-piece bathing suits with blacked eyes.

Either way, objectifying characters as a form of fanservice is pretty retarded. You're essentially saying your creative vision doesn't stand on its own merits, so you have to buy off your audience with cheap thrills instead.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a game if I knew it had this type of content in it. It's hard to take the developers as seriously when they feel the need to resort to those kinds of tactics.
>>
>>3314339
you're a doom babby though your opinion isnt worth jack shit
>>
File: eric-harris.gif (2 MB, 584x327) Image search: [Google]
eric-harris.gif
2 MB, 584x327
>>3314339
>Doom on the other hand, is a classy, timeless masterpiece handcrafted for alpha males who smash top-tier strange on the regular.
"Strange" indeed.
>>
File: 6.gif (2 MB, 188x225) Image search: [Google]
6.gif
2 MB, 188x225
Shadow Warrior is even harder, more complex, and tougher to get into than Duke 3D.

Appreciation never ever.
>>
>>3314597
harder != better though
>>
>>3314259
There's more to being overrated than just having a large fanbase, m8. I love Duke3D but I have to say it's hardcore fans do overrate it. It is no Doom.
>>
>>3315016
its better than doom. better guns than doom The level design is WAY better, there are way more gadgets. Doom is great but the build engines best 3 games are even better doom is just too easy and basic while blood, shadow warrior and douk all present a tough but fair challenge to this day. Doom is a fucking walk in the park compared to those games. It has a great legacy but its too easy of a game.
>>
>>3314498
>unless all the female characters were on their hands and knees scrubbing the floors in two-piece bathing suits with blacked eyes
that's an oddly narrow definition, sexist

>objectifying characters as a form of fanservice is pretty retarded
aren't we glad that stuff wasn't in there as fanservice?
>>
>>3314171
4chan is not representative of the community, its representative of the community that has nowhere else to go
>>
>>3314597
Shadow Warrior basically throws balance out the window, though.
>>
>>3314171
I don't know, any people who talk about playing it seem to like it, it was pretty iconic, there's a reason people were holding their breath for DNF (that it then turned out horrible is another thing).

It also always comes up when people talk about 90's action FPS games, as it is a very solid entry in the genre.

>>3314178
I found that Megaton was very accessible, at least on console, played relatively well (once you patched it), it was cheap and quick to download too, so that's a low barrier of entry. It also had Caribbean in it, so that's a big bonus, I never played it until then.

Shame GearBox took it down so you can't get it on consoles anymore, fucking Randy.

Otherwise, I plain just ran the original executable all the time, it's maybe not as flashy as ED32 (I've never tried that one), but it DOES work.

>>3314183
>because Doom is easier to make content for
True, but Doom, like Duke Nukem 3D, is inherently a very solid and good game. I think Duke might get a little bit forgotten, but I never hear anyone go "Oh yeah, that sucked" when reminded that it exists. I think a lot of people also went back to play it whenever excitement rose for DNF.

>>3314259
If you don't love both Duke and Doom, you're not living your life correctly.
>>
>>3315170
What are your thoughts on Plutonia?
>>
>>3315170
congrats on completely missing the game mechanics of doom.

That said, at some point developers learned that difficulty is a really crappy measure of quality.
>>
>>3315194
He's an inbred, but a game being able to challenge you isn't a bad thing, I don't think there's anything bad with Blood being an inherently harder game

Difficulty selection exists for a reason, however, and there's good ways to make a game challenging, and bad ways to do it.
>>
>>3315213
Blood did difficulty the bad way by hidding all the ammo in secret spots that can only be found by pressing the spacebar in front of every piece of wall.
>>
>>3315220
Not true at all. Sounds like you're just a shitter.
>>
>>3315212
Last time I saw someone say Plutonia was too hard, people kind of teased him and chastised him for playing really poorly

>>3315220
I don't know what to tell you, I never ran low on ammo all that much, I guess you need to make your shots count better.

Hell, often I was actually sitting on ammo I often didn't use, I never favored the voodoo doll all that much, nor did I use the tesla gun very often, the flaregun would often sit on the backburner for me too (even though it's actually kind of good). Whenever I ran low on dynamite, bullets, napalm and shells, I would have a full voodoo doll and a flaregun to fall back on until I had stocked up on new ammunition.

Also the pitchfork is an underrated weapon.
>>
>>3315213
>a game being able to challenge you isn't a bad thing
First, nobody said otherwise. Second, difficulty is not related to quality. A game can be hard as balls and utter shit, it can be easy pie and top notch, and it can be everything else.

>I don't think there's anything bad with Blood being an inherently harder game
Good, because nobody said otherwise. The problem is assuming a game is automatically better when it's harder.

>Difficulty selection exists for a reason
Yeah, when the devs were too chicken to make up their mind, or tuning the game. Difficulty selection is always an indicator of the dev giving up
>>
File: incredulous-cat.jpg (27 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
incredulous-cat.jpg
27 KB, 283x323
>>3315230
>Difficulty selection is always an indicator of the dev giving up
>>
>>3315220
that's bullshit senpai
>>
>>3315230
>Difficulty selection is always an indicator of the dev giving up

Thats only true if they take the lazy route of "hard = bullet sponges"
>>
>>3315279
Which FPS does this?
Even Wolfenstein 3D increased enemy count and damage rather than HP.
>>
File: bet on duke.jpg (125 KB, 459x649) Image search: [Google]
bet on duke.jpg
125 KB, 459x649
Duke does kinda fall between the cracks nowadays. It's the game that is between Doom and Quake so it tends to get forgotten by mainstream audience. Blood and Shadow Warrior are even more "forgotten" than Douk.

Duke 3D is one of my all time favorite games because it's the "missing link" between 2D and 3D first person shooters. I wish the modding community of Douk was more like Doom community, maybe then we could actually get some new shit once in a while. Surely Douk has mods, but when you look at all those mindblowing WADs that are pretty much brand new games made by fans, you realize how vanilla and pale Duke 3D mods really are.

Duke is also currently going through licensing hell so it's not like newcomers can even obtain a legal copy of Duke Nukem 3D to see what the hell it's about.
>>
>>3315279
it's true regardless of the mechanism to implement difficulty. It means they couldn't balance the game in a way that the player can learn, and that they couldn't commit on a difficulty for the game. So they made several variants "just in case"
>>
>>3315283
>Duke does kinda fall between the cracks nowadays
ask Duke 1 and 2 how they feel
>>
>>3315281
Modern FPSs
>>
>>3315298
All I'm getting out of you is "Difficulty settings are inherently bad" which is just complete nonsense.
>>
>>3315332
>All I'm getting out of you is "Difficulty settings are inherently bad"
which puts your reading comprehension miles above the vast majority on this board, well done.

>which is just complete nonsense
oh well, 1/2 ain't bad
>>
ITT: clueless breathing

>>3314178
>it's not as accesible as Doom in regards of source ports

There's two of them, one is close to vanilla (xDuke) and the other is full GZDoom with pretty much the same capabilities ACS has with LUA support (eDuke32). Not to mention the original game had its own scripting language to fiddle with everything not related to the core engine, like logic for each object/entity, weapons, enemies, you name it.
All done on files readily available in the main directory.

>it's a shame eDuke32 is the only way to play it without becoming insane

You heard it, using DOSBox makes you insane.

>>3314183
>because Doom is easier to make content for

Eh. I wouldn't know. Mapmaking aside (it's subjective imo), what is really harder in Douk?

>Doom has a lot more of that than Douk

Because it's the more popular game.

>but it's not going to have the popularity of Doom because it doesn't have the constant trickle of new maps to play

Or maybe because Doom is universally addressed as "1ST FPS EVA" by e-celebs and kids constantly fall for it (I'm not saying Doom doesn't deserve its popularity, but >>3314259 is a good summary).

The fact there are few new maps every once in a while (there are tons available) is only because of the popularity, have people giving a fuck about Duke3D and boom, a whole new set of maps and mods readily available each month.

>>3315098
>I found that Megaton was very accessible

Probably everybody not knowing Duke3D got to play it by getting Megaton, most people don't even know there are source ports.

>Otherwise, I plain just ran the original executable all the time, it's maybe not as flashy as ED32

Jesus Christ. There's an option in ED32 that enables the same software renderer the DOS executable used. How can you mess up this bad? If you want a good vanilla port there's xDuke, it's even got good multiplayer support, even though it's only P2P and you'll definitely need a guider like YANG to get unknown people to join.
>>
>>3315334
Oh, so you were shitposting all along? Figures.
>>
>>3315349
genuine opinion. Much easier though to brush it off as shitposting, instead of actually thinking it through
>>
>>3314339
>02:04:48
>>3314395
>02:21:55

What took you so long
>>
>>3315298
Most games with difficulty settings tend to have one of the settings the mode they put most of their balancing focus on (usually the normal or hard modes), and then simply made adjustments to the other settings afterwards.
>>
>>3314171
My experience of Duke 3D is extremely bias. I first played it in the Sega Saturn then phone.

Wondering if the N64 is worth it
>>
>>3315398
N64? no. PC? yes. It's a traditional raycaster, so it does not really benefit from N64 hardware, unless you turn it into a polygonal mess. It's also meant for SVGA (640x480 or higher), so consoles are generally a bad idea for it. And as far as I know, they fucked up some enemy models on the N64.
>>
>>3315342
>How can you mess up this bad?
I don't know man, I just got it all those years ago, the executable worked, and I just played it like that! It wasn't broke, so I didn't fix it
>>
File: MaIX7ie8.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MaIX7ie8.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>3314395
It's hilarious how John St. John shot down doing a voice over for some Republican douchebag's ad.

Blow it out your ass!
>>
>>3314395
I blame Gearbox and Randy.
>>
Of course DOOM is going to get more glory than Duke 3D, but I would never call Duke 3D underrated. Not that it sucks, but it's just highly rated and fondly remembered by everyone who was alive in that era of games (old person here at 33 years)

It was the highest selling PC game of all time at one point iirc

My family had an elite computer (Pentium 233 mhz with MMX technology, 32 mb ram, 1.4 gig HD, ATI Rage video card) that I used to play Duke 3D in super high def (800X600) maxed out quality

it was a highlight of my childhood.

They really fucked that franchise though. I still don't get how it took SOOOOOOOOOOO long for Duke Forever to come out and it was just the shittiest game ever
>>
Why isn't it open source at this point? It's 20 years old.

Same with UT (which is a different story). Could you imagine how awesome Build or UE1 would be with source ports? Look at all the amazing work that's be done with the Doom and Quake engines.
>>
>>3315534
it's not a function of age. If the developer won't release and re-license the source, it will not become open source. There are games much older than that, that are still without publicly available source
>>
>>3315537
No I'm aware of that, but what I mean is that no further development is going to be done with it, it's hardly a trade secret anymore and there's no way it's going to hurt sales of the game, as you'd still need the actual game assets.

I just think it could renew an interest in these old games and keep their legacies alive.
>>
>>3315534
>Why isn't it open source at this point? It's 20 years old.

Hello? The game has been open source since 2003, and the engine's source got released 3 years earlier.

Why would you assume it was not open source?
>>
>>3315542
you're thinking like a gamer, or enthusiast. Think like a suit, and all you see is giving people something without getting money for it, so you won't do it
>>
>>3315543
>Why would you assume it was not open source?
99.999% of all games aren't
>>
>>3315548
Then why don't you educate yourself using wikipedia or other reliable sources before making questions that relate to wrong assumptions?
>>
>>3315534
I thought Duke 3D's version of Build had its source released?
>>
>>3315549
I wasn't the person asking
>>
>>3315550
ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/source/duke3dsource.zip
Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) Source

http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/default.htm
Build Engine Source

Somehow people think source ports aren't called source ports because they ported the source.

There's even a good 4-part review of the whole code and how each module works with each other.

http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/index.php

>>3315552
O-Okay but assuming things without first looking into them is a wrong practice.
>>
>>3315567
>Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) Source
have people commented on the code quality of Doom vs. Duke?

>assuming things without first looking into them is a wrong practice
agreed
>>
>>3315573
>have people commented on the code quality of Doom vs. Duke?

http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/index.php

Unless with "quality" you mean the cleanest one. In which case, I think Build is the messier engine-wise, but it's also much more optimized.

idtech 1 and Build might look similar, but they take pretty different approaches to look which walls have to be rendered and which don't.
>>
>>3315587
I read that page, or am reading it right now. I meant code quality. The code_legacy page touches on that and it seems to boil down to "the code's in a shit state". I think idtech was cleaner back then

>much more optimized
subjective

>but they take pretty different approaches to look which walls have to be rendered and which don't.
different render engines use different culling or sorting methods? Stop the fucking presses! That's only like 99% of the creative work a 3D engine does
>>
>>3315593
>Stop the fucking presses!
Mr. "I can't google if a game is open source" talking here. I wouldn't have said that if I didn't know you were proficient with this stuff.
>>
>>3315602
>Mr. "I can't google if a game is open source" talking here
you got the wrong guy, I'm >>3315548 and >>3315552
>>
>>3315602
just skimmed the build_engine_internals page. That's a beautifully fucked up rendering technique. I still don't like all the fanboy raving the engine is surrounded by (It's PCs crash bandicoot), but credit where it's due, algorithmically it is a beauty. Some smart thoughts in there, and in my understanding indeed quite different from idtech 1. Even though, idtech 1 feels better in the gut area. To me, anyway. Like, as trippy as this engine demo is, it screams hack. Hacks can be awesome, but at the end of the day they're hacks. idtech 1 may not be as capable or versatile and whatnot, but it just strikes me as cleaner, more approachable on a mental level.
>>
>>3315615
>I still don't like all the fanboy raving the engine is surrounded by

This is news to me. Most people care about the games. The engine is only known because it was capable of achieving more things than your usual idtech 1.

>(It's PCs crash bandicoot)

Literally what. You sound hurt in some place.
>>
still
DooM and Duke3D have way more notoriety than games such as Blood which deserves a proper source port as well (if fucking atari were to release the goddamn source port)
>>
File: oceanlab4.jpg (316 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab4.jpg
316 KB, 1366x768
I got into Douk mapping back in the day just because you could DO a lot more with it than Quake.

Sure it wasn't really 3D, but there was transparent breakable glass, moving trains/vehicles, scripted explosions, rotating sectors for stuff like swinging doors, etc. etc.

For a mapper, BUILD was a dream come true. You could make almost any conceivable scenario in it. Quake was really austere and limited by comparison. You had water, you had moving brushes, you had togglable lights. That was close to the full extent of it.
>>
File: bobsp2.png (243 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
bobsp2.png
243 KB, 637x358
Poasting some screens
>>
File: bobspx.jpg (72 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
bobspx.jpg
72 KB, 637x358
>>
File: oceanlab1.png (350 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab1.png
350 KB, 1366x768
>>
File: oceanlab2.jpg (247 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab2.jpg
247 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>3315631
>Literally what
see >>3315675 and the trail of drool following it. It's annoying as fuck
>>
File: oceanlab3.jpg (272 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab3.jpg
272 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>3315693

Say what you will but I have seen some absolutely huge environments in BUILD games that would be a stuttering mess of hall of mirror effects in Doom, and a flickery slideshow of missing faces in Quake.

It is messier because a teenager coded it originally and only after his work got noticed did adults step in to rework it into a usable engine for a commercial game, but Ken Silverman was/is a really brilliant guy. That shows through in how flexible BUILD was.
>>
>>3315651

Blood was in all ways a better actual game than Douk. I was more disappointed by Blood 2 than I was when it was revealed that the next Banjo Kazooie would be a fucking customizable car game
>>
>>3315708
nobody's denying the capabilities of the engine, but shit like
>a teenager coded it originally
and
>That shows through in how flexible BUILD was
is useless fanboy drooling and super annoying. I would say the exact some thing if some idiot would drool like that about id tech 1
>>
>>3315693
Just as annoying as people praising DOOM on every last inch of the net for its moddability when it had fuckall tools to work with on release and you could only ever replace existing stuff on the main WAD until the source finally came about, and that still meant nothing until someone figured out a scripting engine that worked in a similar way to Duke3D's CON files, and when people talk about DOOM's modding they always, without fail,. refer to those modern sourceports, but you don't see me rumbling about it. If I kinda look like I'm doing so now, it's because you've had it coming.

Control your inferiority complex.
>>
>>3315715
>>3315714
>I would say the exact some thing if some idiot would drool like that about id tech 1

>when people talk about DOOM's modding they always, without fail,. refer to those modern sourceports, but you don't see me rumbling about it
Your fault. I made the mistake of going into the doom general once, and commented on how they were using derived/new features, and not really working with doom engine. Got flamed to hell, never looked back. Despite the name of their thread, it has nothing to do with doom, or its engine

>Control your inferiority complex.
don't turn everything into a fucking duel, asshat
>>
>>3315721
>I would say the exact some thing if some idiot would drool like that about id tech 1

Fuck, you got me. I'm sorry. Also sorry about your /doom/ experience.
>>
>>3315721

Remember when it was a big deal just to be able to make bridges in Doom using maskwalls? But they had no floor aligned sprites so it looked awful and often smoke and mirrors like a floor which would rise up under you as you crossed it was necessary.

All just for bridges with nothing under them (when seen from the side and not in use) a feature Duke had using wall and floor aligned sprites from day 1

Just fucking bridges of all things
>>
>>3315721
I kinda wish the /vr/ community for doom was more like Doomworld's classic doom section and mostly focus on traditional gameplay discussion and mapping. But no, we had to get the gameplay mod shitters.
>>
>>3315715
um excuse me but the scripting comes from Hexen, which predates Duke3D by a year
>>
>>3315896
gameplay mods that have zero balance especially on the vanilla maps they like to play them on. When you ask why they dont make maps to go with their mods you get REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3315721
>Got flamed to hell
Because you acted like a twat and repeatedly argued your point, ignoring literally everything people said then acted smug about it.
>>
>>3315896
>and mostly focus on traditional gameplay discussion and mapping

There is though, lots of people play with Boom or Chocolate Doom, many insist that you should play a levelset as it is before using mods.

There's people who map and mod within Vanilla and Boom constraints sometimes too.
>>
>>3316000
>I'm so oldschool, I know what a dehacked file is
Really now? I mean I know you're desperate for attention but come on.
>>
>>3316001
>lots of people play with Boom or Chocolate Doom
Why not simply play the real Doom in Dosbox instead?
>>
>>3316135
Why not play Chocolate Doom or Boom instead? It's a matter of preference
>>
>>3316165
because they're not the original, and the original runs really well
>>
>>3314171
Duke is talked about all the time in discussions about classic FPS games. Only reason Doom gets more discussion is because it just got a new game that didn't take 14 years to develop and fall flat on its face.
>>
>>3316135
Chocolate Doom basically lets you play the vanilla game 1:1 but with full modern compatibility and not having to type in any commands, it's an easier way to play the original game on a modern system basically, literally a full port of the standard game.

Boom adds a few additional features, but more importantly it has an efficient renderer and can display shit like Deus Vult 2 without breaking a sweat (unlike ZDoom, which will experience frequent slowdown), if you want to play a lot of slaughter maps it's good for that, the original .exe would shit itself trying to play Deus Vult

Also it has a nice mapping format.

>>3316175
It runs well enough, but Boom will play Alien Vendetta and the like much better.
There's also the fact that the original .exe will only render so many linedefs and visplanes before choking, Boom ups a lot of those limits on top of being more optimized.
There's a reason that Boom has remained kind of a community favorite
>>
I dislike enemy design in DN3D since most of the enemies are fucking hitscan ones. But the level design is still top tier
>>
>>3316331
complaining about hitscan is a meme
>>
>>3316331
>baww hitscans
Take cover you dip, bullets are fast and they hurt.
>>
hehehhahah duke say funny movie joke
hehe hahaha hehe duke take pepe in toilet

Your average Duke 3D fan, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>3316356
Or you know, maybe it would have made the game better to just have one enemy type that uses hitscan weapons.
>>
duke nukem 3d had dank weapons and the jetpack was amazing i thought
>>
>>3316135
>>3316175
If you REALLY want to do the dosbox route, then go ahead. But you can't really argue that everyone should use vanilla over chocolate, when the only real major difference is that chocolate is easier to setup on modern OSs.
>>
>>3316001
There are people who talk about classic doom stuff and mappers in the threads, yes. But its still generally full of gameplay mod fans who almost exclusively use zdoom based ports.

I'll be thankful that it at least isn't full of brutal doom fans.
>>
>>3316605
Jetpack was broken in continuous play. Some levels weren't designed with it in mind, and thus would be very easy to bypass entire sections, and in some cases, the entire map if you kept a jetpack from an earlier level.

Its why I kinda dislike full game speedruns for Duke 3D.
>>
>>3317251
Nobody forces you to do that I personally always try to kill every enemy and find every secret
>>
>>3317259
>Nobody forces you to do that

Its not a matter of being forced to or not. Its a matter of it being possible to begin with.
>>
>>3314171
my story goes... back in the day, when these games were out and hot, I played the shit out DukeN3d, didn't play more than 10 hours in Doom. Conclussion, Duke was more fun for me. The end.
>>
File: 1455166121885.jpg (153 KB, 1000x810) Image search: [Google]
1455166121885.jpg
153 KB, 1000x810
>>3316404
Nigga, who the fuck hasn't played mods or mapsets with DEH enhancements? That's old hat, that was old hat by the turn of the century.

Osiris, Titan and Ghostbusters TC are all old as shit and know widely by anyone who's even remotely into Doom user content, not to talk about Action Doom or Batman TC

Hell, DEH is still used sometimes today, and people still go back and play classic mapsets featuring it, there's even a guy in /doom/ making a TC using nothing but DEH and Vanilla constraints.

Can't say I reported you though, the janitor is probably just doing his job and taking out the trash.
>>
>>3317276
Why if you want to kill everything and find everything it is irrelevant
>>
>>3317326
Again, Its a matter of it being possible to begin with. It ruins the enjoyment factor of Speedruns. Doesn't matter if I'm forced to do it or not. Doesn't matter if I want to do it or not.
>>
>>3316331
Outside of the Battlelord, which is a boss/mniboss, hitscan enemies are very easy to dodge in DN3D.

Pigcops? Make a couple of steps to the right when they're about to shoot.
Enforcers? Step rightwards.
Pigtanks? They are super slow so it's easy to get out of their line of fire in no time.
For mini BLords you'll have to find cover but circlestrafing to the right will help take less damage.

So, every enemy included that's 4 hitscan enemies out of 16, also the Enforcers don't appear in ep1, the mini BLords only appear in ep3 and 4, and Pigtanks only appear in ep4.

That's far from "most of the enemies".
>>
>>3317276
You should consider it a reward for people who
1) have not died between getting the jetpack and reaching a point where it can sequence break.
2) Have saved it up until that point. The jetpack fuel goes out REALLY fast, and there really aren't that many to find in the entire game.
>>
Besides,

>>3317251
>Its why I kinda dislike full game speedruns for Duke 3D.

Jetpack use shouldn't be your main complain of DN3D speedruns. Your main complain should be nowadays in the speedrun standard they are not playing Duke Nukem 3D, but rather Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition, which is known for being really glitchy. In that port, pre-existing glitches are a LOT easier to pull than in the original game, and it even has new glitches. What speedrunners are doing with Megaton would be a LOT harder to do in DN3D, or even at times outright impossible.

Jetpack use should be the least of your concern.
>>
>>3315398
As much as I respect Lobotomy, the Saturn version is not a good way to play DN3D. It doesn't run in Build and it's not accurate, gameplay is off by 20 miles. It has interesting points, like being full 3D with dynamic light, and the very fact that it exists and runs smoothly on Saturn is great, but overall it's a cheap copy of DN3D.

N64 version is closer to the original game, and it has some interesting differences.

>>3315615
I always hear about how "clean" Carmack's stuff is, but it's like everytime people forget something. Silvermann started the development of Build before Doom was released. IIRC, by the time it was, he had Build on a similar level. But, he kept making it more awesome.
Build had amazing stuff for the time it was released in, like slopes, transparency, being able to stack rooms, etc There is a reason why so many FPS used Build up until 1998.

Had Build been kept as simple as Doom, it would probably be just as "clean". Carmack's stuff also sticks to the bare minimum to make a game, I mean Quake doesn't even have an "action/use" key, so of course it's easier to have something "clean" that way.
>>
>>3317519
Shhh he didn't play the game. Now I'm kinda new to this board but I've seen you bragging about a DN3D level of yours that got like 10k downloads, now tell me dude, what's the name of that level, please I'm really curious.

And on an unrelated note, could someone fill me up on the whole drama with Gearbox?
>>
>>3317595
I wasn't bragging. I was listing the pros&con of Megatons, and the pros are that it brought new players, and that its Workshop brought those new players towards (a percentage of) usermaps and mods.

Although the reason why these maps got 10k downloads was because I was in the firsts to upload stuff there, and due to how the (shitty) rating system works, they have always remained on top.

I don't know why everyone likes that map and it's overrated imo. It's the worst map I've ever worked on and it has tons of noob issues design. Map name is Sin Center. Map Sex City got 10k+ downloads too on the workshop and that one I consider better, but it was made in 24hours hence why it's a bit short.

>And on an unrelated note, could someone fill me up on the whole drama with Gearbox?

GB acquired the entire Duke Nukem franchise through court shenaningans.
Took down every version of the game because they want to sell their version instead. Rumours say that version is heavily "inspired" by EDuke32 with dynamic lights and shit, and also it will have a brand new episode. So everyone who's bought the game recently will "have" to buy it again.

The makers of EDuke32 had a contract with the previous DN3D owners to make and sell their own version of mobiles and tablets. When acquiring the franchise, GB also HAD to respect that contract but didn't want to and threatened the EDuke32 guys to bring them to court unless they give up (while, like I said, at the same time using their work for making their port... ironical?).
EDuke32 guys didn't give up, GB had no backup for their threats, so last rumors say they found an agreement.
>>
>>3317551
Carmack will by his own admission state that the actual coding in the older engines isn't entirely clean or amazing, and that he would have done some things differently.

As I recall, Doom was even suggested to have slopes as a feature early during it's development but it just wasn't put in.

But yeah, overall, Build is a pretty damn capable engine compared to the stock Doom engine, even if it feels a bit loose around the seams sometimes.
>>
>>3317519
>he mini BLords only appear in ep3 and 4

You mean every episode but ep1. What's wrong with you today?
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.