[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, but they are reallty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
I want to play System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, but they are reallty old games and I heard by many people that some of the mecanics and the systems really suffer due to their age and I also heard about many different projects about remastering/remaking/updarting the games through mods por whole new releases
What do you guys think people should play?
remember that jjust because it was made that way desn0t mean it's perfect that way, outdated graphics and disfuncional controls are a con and you can't expect people to jsut suck it pu for some game
For one I tried playing RE4 HD on my PC a week ago and the tank controls were so awkward that i just dropped it
Basically tl;dr is i wanna play System Shock 2 which mods/versions do you suggest and general coversion/modernizations of classic games
>>
>>3313754
there's already fucking threads about this game, nigga
>>
>>3313759
Ok, what about somethign like MGS or the original HL
I sytill have to tri MGS but the original HL I though it was very difficult to play, I had a lot of fun more with the Black Mesa edition made with the source engine
Would you have suggested it or would you have just advised to play it through in the orignal form
>>
>>3313754
1) Go here
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Category:Windows
2) Find game
3) Install "essential improvements"
4) If you don't like something in step 3, don't use it.
>>
>>3313769
Thanks Thst loloks nice
Alos SS2 right on steam seems to be nice with the right setting in the controls
>>
>>3313754
play System Shock 1 before SS2 you dumb gay pleb
>>
If you couldn't even play something like RE4 that isn't even that old, I'd say don't try older games at all.

If you're just playing them for GAMUR CREDIT and not actually having a good time, then just drop it and go play modern games.
>>
>>3313850
I played a few of even older games and enjoyed them, like FF or Metroid
RE4 was a bit unusual because I hseard the gameplay was very good and the controls only destroyed my dreams
I personally think that gamaes, and for that every medium, slowly gets old and might even become too old to juswt pick it up and enjoy it
It's the process of translating from a Masterpiece to a Histrical Masterpiece, something that was and might even be great today and that made the history of something, but now is old and difficult to use and understand without specific knowledge
Like Citizen Kane, trurly a masterpiece of movie history, but today is so slow and old in the way is was made that it's really hard to watch through
>>
>>3313876

Eh, I disagree. I think games are pretty accessible, even the really early ones. All it takes is a different approach.

You have to put yourself in the right mindset to play these games. You have to find the good things about the game and enjoy yourself, otherwise you'll really just be wasting your time.

Like SS2 for example: it controls way clunkier than new games, but I love the plot, the atmosphere it builds, the upgrade mechanics, the pacing, the exploration/map design, and all those little things.

If I focused on what I didn't like, like the stiff gameplay and the outdated graphics, I certainly wouldn't be having a good time with it, but I don't.

Also, did you play RE4 on mouse and keyboard by any chance? Because that might have done it. The game isn't even that old, and it plays just fine on a controller.
>>
>>3313914
Weel yeah, with the right mindset you can do almost everything, the problem is the fact that the older (not just by age but by how old the mechanicns and things are in it) the game the harder it is to understand and get in the right mood , expecially if you are used to a completely different game desing
Also I didn't want to say that old games are shit or anything, I was just interested on what might be the ideas of others on this, as these ideeas might influence the way we think about old and retro games and the way we think and talk about classics and masterpieces
>>
OP sounds underage. Sage for shit thread.
>>
>>3314016
Yea at least hes trying to play something good. Stupid little shitters and their call of duty crap. Fucking get off my lawn.
>>
>>3314206
He probably has been on /v/ for less than a week and just about these dae le hidden gems and this is likely his first thread ever since he put the subject in the name field
>>
>>3313754
The Steam and GoG versions of SS1, SS2 and Deus Ex are all perfectly playable
>>
>>3314342
OK, but playable isn't the only option
like, enchanced textures and models are a plus, mods that balance out things that didn't make sense in the original push it from playable to better
Or maybe it's good as it is, I only played a few minutes
>>
File: 1446676814678.jpg (18 KB, 377x350) Image search: [Google]
1446676814678.jpg
18 KB, 377x350
>>3314330
Lel yea your probably right especially with all the spelling errors. Kinda cute I guess.
>>
why the fuck did you make this thread if you have no intention on playing these games?

and you can't even spell properly, something tells me you're either underage or brain damaged
>>
>>3314778
>why the fuck did you make this thread if you have no intention on playing these games?
Where did you get that idea, I already started playing SS2
I just asked for which might be the best mods or versions to play and I wanted to see what did people think about aging games and how to deal with them getting old
>>
File: ss2.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
ss2.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Some anon made a dropbox a long time ago for SS2 mods that make the game looks sharp and crisp
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ky62v2aay9z70mz/5m1eJGZww4

Picture related, for some reason it's the only screenshot I took. I play with steam version. The mods only change the graphics (?) and change some low poly models to big higher poly models, sharper textures etc. but the gameplay stays the same.
My first playthrough was in vanilla, and while I enjoyed the game the blurry graphics kinda bothered me. Now on my second playthrough with mods I can truly appreciate the atmosphere of SS2, while still having the original gameplay.

Deus Ex doesn't need any mods, except Deus Exe so that you can run it with bigger resolution and it will also scale the HUD so that it won't go into ridiculous jumbo pixel sized mess with the larger resolutions. It will also fix the distant texture flickering issue well known for DX fans.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.