[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20 years ago today the Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 were released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: nintendo64.jpg (108 KB, 1024x718) Image search: [Google]
nintendo64.jpg
108 KB, 1024x718
20 years ago today the Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 were released in Japan.
>>
mario
>>
File: 1466613229535.jpg (232 KB, 499x618) Image search: [Google]
1466613229535.jpg
232 KB, 499x618
>>3311735
Awh shit.
I love goldeneye, super smash bros, podracing, rogue squadron
>>
>>3311735
that's an okay box
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtLPrazftds
>>
>>3311735
I loved my 64, but I never got to play Mario Party. Which one is the best, 1, 2 or 3? Which one has the best boards, or the boards best suited for the longest possible rounds?
>>
>>3311735

That's one cool package design.
>>
The hardware was nice. Too bad about the lack of games. The only N64 titles I really cared about were OoT and Smash Bros. At least Nintendo was kind enough to port OoT to the GameCube.
>>
File: img_1.jpg (355 KB, 1123x816) Image search: [Google]
img_1.jpg
355 KB, 1123x816
Why didn't they stick with the original Ultra 64 name?
>>
>>3313637

Nintendo has a history of having really amazing names for the prototypes and then dropping them for crap names.
Remember the Nintendo Revolution and under what name it came out then? Yeah...
>>
Shit, I forgot how cool the Japanese n64 box is.
>>
>>3311735
Happy birthday, you overrated, clunky piece of shit that ruined Mario.
>>
>>3311735
That's some sweet boxart.
>>
File: SP1432377616495.jpg (74 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SP1432377616495.jpg
74 KB, 800x600
>>3313729
>you overrated, clunky piece of shit

Shut up
>>
>>3313729
>clunky
The N64 has less going on than its generational peers.You just put the cartridge in and flip the switch.
>>
>>3314070
Is dat sum Sin & Punishment art?
>>
File: sp_kachua.jpg (203 KB, 398x900) Image search: [Google]
sp_kachua.jpg
203 KB, 398x900
>>3314081

Yes, (fanart)
>>
>>3314101
Good on you for posting the best N64 videogame.
>>
>>3311735
20 years ago your mom met your dad
>>
>>3314079
I'm a little stoned, but weren't N64 and original Playstation part of the same generation? If I remember correctly, all I every had to do was insert the disc and hit power.
>>
>>3314704

you're high nigga, you forgot about dem loadings and high failure rate of ps1 drives.
>>
File: IAwZv.png (419 KB, 774x997) Image search: [Google]
IAwZv.png
419 KB, 774x997
>>3313729
>It's made of Nintendium
>>
>>3313696
>dolphin ----->>> "game" "cube"
>>
>>3314712
What does that have to do with what you physically need to do to play the game? Here's a list of things you could have brought up:

>Needing a memory card
>Needing to open the tray
>Needing to close the tray
>Having to remove the game from the jewel case
>>
>>3313696
I'm hoping they don't pick anything stupid for the NX when they finally announce the retail name.
>>
>>3317089
They should call it The Nin7endo
>>
AKI made the best wrestling games on this baby.
>>
>>3314916
>no readily apparent reason

The xbox 360 is designed to fail. It's planned obsolescence plain and simple. I've repaired several that had the RRoD. The fix is pretty simple.

The 3 Red Rings happens when the GPU overheats. It overheats because instead of a heatsink, they put an insulating foam pad over the chip.

Let that sink in for a second.

You can remove the insulating foam and replace is with some heatsink compound ($2ish) and use 8 pennies as a new nig-rigged heatsink. My 360 has been running with this amateur fix for more than 5 years.

Completely ridiculous design. Fuck Microsoft.
>>
>>3317116
Those are called thermal pads and they're not an insulator you retard they conduct heat. They're less effective than thermal compound but they're easier to apply. The initial 360 hardware was very power hungry and gave off a lot of heat which by itself wasn't that bad but given enough time the heating and cooling caused stress fractures in the solder under the CPU/GPU. This is actually a common problem even with graphics cards in computers.
>>
>>3317123

>given enough time

3 days for me. They apparently couldn't fix it so they sent me a refurbished one, which also died but lasted 5 months to their credit. I just never bothered with the Xbox 360 platform again. I managed to complete all the games I wanted to on it with the exception of Red Dead(still waiting on that PC release Rockstar)
>>
>>3317123
It's just a little too convenient that everyone's 360 red ringed about 2 months after the warranty expired. They knew exactly what they were doing. Typical lifespan with their original design was roughly 2 years. Typical lifespan with an 8 cent (literally) solution? 5-10 years. I'll let you know when mine finally dies.
>>
>>3317128
Mine lasted about 5 years. I don't remember which mobo it had originally it was one of the first of the "improved" designs though.

>>3317129
I seriously doubt they did it deliberately it's not really something they can predict with that degree of certainty. A lot of them would probably fail but a few of them might not and if word gets out the negative PR would tear them a new asshole(which it did). They also spent the next decade redesigning the two most complex ICs the CPU and GPU to make them less power hungry and they eventually even went ahead and redesigned the entire console, twice even. They put a lot of money down, so much that I can't imagine they did it deliberately the original 360 design was just a huge fuckup.
>>
>>3317148
Look into accelerated lifetime testing. You can predict failure rates pretty accurately. There will always be outliers, but it's naive to think that modern consumer electronics aren't designed to fail after their effective marketing lifespan is up. see: any smartphone ever.
>>
>>3313637
some kind of copyright bullshit like star fox/lylat wars i think
>>
>>3317116
It cost microsoft one billion dollars to replace red ringed xbox 360s.

So no, it wasn't planned.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.