[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the ideal way to play the first two Rayman games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: rayman.jpg (29 KB, 200x308) Image search: [Google]
rayman.jpg
29 KB, 200x308
What's the ideal way to play the first two Rayman games?

Is PSX the best for both?
>>
>>3311084
The ps1 version of Rayman 2 is complete fucking trash, literally the worst version of the game that exists

Get the PC, Dreamcast, or N64 version instead
>>
>>3311084
Definitely the dreamcast for 2, it has much higher resolution textures than the 64 version and the ps1 version is awful.

For the first game the sound was better on the ps1 version than the saturn, I'm doubting you'd want to play the original 3do version.
>>
PC obviously. But if you only want to play on console then it's Playstation X for the first one and Dreamcast for the second. If you don't have a Dreamcast then the PS2 version is acceptable, but inferior.
>>
>>3311085
>The ps1 version of Rayman 2 is complete fucking trash
Just curious, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>3311084
rayman 1 psx.
rayman 2 pc and for second playthrough ps2.
>>
>>3311338
Watch a comparison video.
>>
What's the difference between the PS and Saturn versions of the first game?
>>
>>3311084
Just get the PC versions for both

If you want the original versions, then Jaguar and N64
>>
I will never understand why someone would choose to play this sort of game on PC ahead of a console.
>>
>>3311360
Rayman 1 on Playstation is actually the worst version. The Jaguar, Saturn, and PC versions are all better than it.
>>
>>3311653
Backgrounds.
>>
>>3311709
>The Jaguar,
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about, the Jaguar version has no inertia. You don't keep your momentum when doing a jump after running.
>>
>>3311737
It plays differently than what you're used to, so what?
>>
>>3311709
>Rayman 1 on Playstation is actually the worst version

No it isn't. The Saturn version lacks

-The iconic Rayman-body-parts-assembling animation at the start of each level
-An extra transparent fog layer effect in some levels
-Extra drum beat musical instruments in some levels
-Rayman's animation being synchronized with the end-of-level music
-Bonus musical track for defeating bosses
-An extra parallax background layer in one of the backgrounds for Blue Mountains
-Better lightning effects in that one Bongo Hills level
-Better spotlight effect in Eat at Joe's
-Sound effects that haven't been up-pitched to shit
-3D credits special effects in some revisions of the PS1 version

The Saturn version has some extras as well, but they don't compare to what you get in the PS1 version
>>
>>3311708
What's hard to understand? You can use a controller on a PC.
>>
>>3311709
>Rayman
>PC version
Just fuck my music up
>>
File: 1462225163090.jpg (65 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
1462225163090.jpg
65 KB, 650x427
>PC

Lol. I have mad nostalgia for Rayman Gold but it has almost no fucking music and barely works on any modern OS, why bother? The PS1 version is the total package.

For 2, stick to Dreamcast or N64 (w/ Expansion Pack). Stay away from the PS2 version as well, it seems like an 'improvement' on the surface but it turns the entire game into a drag.
>>
PSX version of Rayman 2 is worth playing for the extra content and superior voices.
>>
I played the Jaguar version of Rayman a while back. It's very close to the Playstation version, though there are some differences. It's also probably the most difficult version, although I haven't played the Saturn version. Platforms disappear/drop quicker, your punch doesn't reach as far, most extra life pickups in the Playstation version are now fist powerups and super helicopter has strange physics.
It's also much more difficult to hang off platforms in this version.

I can usually beat the Playstation version with about thirty lives left but I got Game Over in this version at Mr. Stone's Peaks, and never had more than nine lives remaining at any one time.
>>
>>3311920
>Stay away from the PS2 version as well, it seems like an 'improvement' on the surface but it turns the entire game into a drag.

This. The extra bosses are nice, but there are also the following cons

>boring overworld hub
>english voices
>constant 20 second load times
>having to fight a bazillion robot pirates in every stage
>>
>>3311338
>800lums vs 1000lums
>worse graphics and framerate
>levels are cut-down/shortened and tons of areas are removed/simplified/moved around because ps1 cant handle them
>one entire level is missing
>voice acting(its pretty terrible)
>final boss was changed(although ps1 version was better imo)

Its pretty terrible, but at least playable(unlike DS port than ran 5fps all the time making it unplayable). DC and PC are best versions because they are the only two that are stable 60fps.
>>
>>3311084
i know for a fact PC has the best rayman 1. here is a good version of it fo free
http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9466

never played rayman 2 however
>>
>>3312236
>>english voices
It's an option. You can switch it to Raymanish in the menu.
>>
File: 98259252721.jpg (44 KB, 609x308) Image search: [Google]
98259252721.jpg
44 KB, 609x308
>>3311338
>Just curious, what's wrong with it?

Everything
>>
>>3311920
>For 2, stick to Dreamcast or N64 (w/ Expansion Pack)
If you're going to recommend the N64 version, you might as well just recommend the PC version. It's a direct port of the N64 version, with enhancements and improvements.

The DC version was optimized specifically for the console and it's probably the best overall experience. However, if you don't have access to a DC, the PC version is definitely your best option.
>>
>>3312839
DC version doesn't have the Hall of Doors
>>
>>3312821
right is better stylized. not disagreeing but this particular example doesn't prove your point at all
>>
>>3312842
Yeah, the DC version improved it my having a map thing insetad.
>>
>>3313294
hall of doors was way cooler
>>
>>3313264
You have to be seriously blind. The right image has way fewer polygons. Just look at the shape of the head and the hands.

'Stylized' my fucking ass it's just blatant detail reduction.
>>
>>3312821
The right one is much better, better lighting and color much easier to the eyes, which is more important than the number of polygons.
>>
>>3311084
Yes, if you don't mind the graphics of rayman 2, but honestly PS2 version is much better.
>>
>>3313387
The PS1 version is completely devoid of any lighting effects - it's all baked.

Ly is darker in the N64 version because she's actually in a shaded place behind a machine,
>>
File: 1464938927538.jpg (35 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
1464938927538.jpg
35 KB, 267x274
>>3313264
>>3313387
Wow, I has always assumed that the accusation of blind fanboy devotion to a platform was hyperbole, but now I'm convinced that some people are delusional, incapable of not using mental gymnastics to prove that their console of choice is superior.
>>
>>3313391
I personally dislike darkened areas so I preferred it that way.
>>
>>3313382
>>3313394
>more polygons is better guys!!!
shittier textures, shittier lighting, shittier environment, but hey its got a few extra polygons to really spice up the potato face that comes with it. also platform loyalty? i just stated that i think the right looks better and that i don't disagree with him.
>>
>>3313391
Baked > real time lighting
>>
File: shadows.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
shadows.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>3313478
i completely disagree, but regardless that isn't realtime lighting, in fact i cant think of a single retro game capable of realtime lighting. pic related is an example of realtime lighting just to give you an example of it
>>
>>3313515
Rare's N64 games had plenty of real-time lighting.
>>
File: conk2.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
conk2.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>3313515
>i cant think of a single retro game capable of realtime lighting
>>
>>3313515
Fucking Wild Arms even had real time lighting. Did you not play anything between the NES and the Xbone?
>>
>>3311084
The PC version of Rayman 1 on GoG is rock-solid apart from the music tracks for one area being one clip that plays all the way through over and over.

However, this version of the game is Rayman Forever and comes with the extra fan-made levels and Rayman Designer.

The PSX version has the music tracks separated for each level in each area, but does not feature Rayman Designer or fan-made levels.

For Rayman 2, the PC version is the best "original" version of the game, when comparing it to the N64.

However, the Dreamcast Version is 100% the definitive version. It runs at 60fps ROCK SOLID, has secrets you can discover after beating the game, and features unlockable mini games that are
multiplayer.

The PSX version is pretty much a cut-down version of the game. However, after you beat the game there's a sweet Rayman 2 2D prototype level at the end.

The PS2 version titled Rayman 2: Revolution, features an open world-hub to walk around in and a more fleshed out story, but the game has slowdowns in heated battles. It also has all of the mini games that the DC version has.
>>
File: Rayman2GreatEscape_DCBox.jpg (52 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
Rayman2GreatEscape_DCBox.jpg
52 KB, 500x463
>>3311084
And for the first one, probably Rayman Gold on PC.
>>
>>3313708
>Anything from the 6th and 7th gen
>Retro
>>
>>3311745
shut your fucking trap you little brat
>>
>>3311084
respectively:
rayman optimum
dc or gog version
>>
>>3311084
GBA/Jaguar
PS1
>>
>>3315114
You forgot DSiWare
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 500x437
>Grew up with the PS1 version of 2
>Played the Dreamcast version a little while back
>mfw
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.