[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT playstation JRPGs that aren't boring, actually have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 0972534.png (630 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
0972534.png
630 KB, 1024x569
ITT playstation JRPGs that aren't boring, actually have good story/characters/plot and an interesting combat system.

pic related- only this, dank cloud and persona 2 are the only JRPGs I ever truly enjoyed.
>>
>>3310620
>aren't boring,
>posts bof3
>>
>>3310628
please don't be rude!!!!!!
>>
>>3310620
>actually have good story/characters/plot

>posts a game with furry characters and a fanfic-tier plot

Are we being trolled?
>>
>>3310632
>being mean
the theme is generic but i-it's actually quite fun!
>>
File: scared.jpg (34 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
34 KB, 500x419
>>3310620
Tried playing it and got to the dragon zombie and put it down, farther then any final fantasy playthrough. I guess jrpgs aren't my thing. Only ones I've been able to complete were the dragon quests, mother trilogy, and the chrono trigger. I loved those however, weird.
>>
>>3310661
>dropped BoF
>slogged through even more boring and monotonous RPGs
As expected of a motherfag.
>>
>>3310620
Chrono Trigger is well paced and lean.
I know it's not cool to like Earthbound anymore because it got too popular but that's a good game if you like silly absurd stuff.
>>
>>3310827
Earthbound is good because it had a good team behind it and used dragon quest as a base, using DQ as a base for your jrpg is pretty damn good decision. Unfortunately you get people like >>3310707 who probably never played it but heard some people who hadn't played it either don't like it. People come together much more to hate on something rather then to praise something.
>>
File: arc the lad.png (543 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
arc the lad.png
543 KB, 500x500
This thread seems to have fallen to shitposting pretty quick, but I'll actually contribute in the hopes of salvaging it.

Arc the Lad - The entire series, except End of Darkness. Arc 1 and 2 in particular are the best, Arc 1 is basically just a prologue to 2 which is crazy long.
Front Mission 3 - Again the whole series is great, except the garbage that was evolved.
Grandia - Though I found 2 better.
Wild Arms 2
>>
>>3310925
end of darkness is a piece of shit.
Didn't care for twilight of the spirits that much either.
>music went to shit
>characters were crappy aside from Volk, and maybe Darc....Just maybe
>I can't even remember the humans
>environments were uninspired
>technology didn't advance since 3 that much anyway,
2 was basically the 90's.

know the great disaster happened, but I don't think it fucked the world that bad.

>monsters were utter shit.
> no hunter's guild
> characters were grew to love are long dead aside from diek, and choko which we had to go through hell to recruit.

All and all FUCK THAT GAME, it's a disgrace to the series.
>>
>>3310629
I don't think he was trying to be, BoFIII really is incredibly boring
>>
File: 1437650638830.jpg (106 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1437650638830.jpg
106 KB, 640x360
>>3310620
>>3310620
>playstation JRPGs that aren't boring, actually have good story/characters/plot and an interesting combat system.
>BoF3

You could have at least posted 4, but no, you just HAD to be a total faggot.
>>3310925
Arc 3 was lackluster as well for me but Arc 2 is absolutely great if you like story focused RPGs, gorgeus graphics as well, probably one of the most 90's RPG out there, especially the music.
Disagree on Front Mission 3 because 2 exists and does everything but graphics better than 3.
Grandia was a disappointment to me, half cooked battle system and no fucking exploration in a game with exploration being its them, slightly better than the average but ultimately a failed SaGa game.
Wild Arms' only redeeming feature until 4 is the desertpunk/western setting, which is admittedly pretty good, 2 had a few good moments, but the non existent difficulty, questionable plot pacing and antagonists can't redeem the amazing thing that is Knight Blazer and his theme, at least for me.
>>
>>3310925
You seem to be confused. Those games are SRPGs.
>>
>>3310843
Unfortunately, even though I like the series a lot, the people who do come together to praise the MOTHER series are among the most intolerable fanbases on the internet. Not as bad as furries, or Sonic, and Undertale has now overtaken them too, but they're still pretty awful.
>>
>>3311280
Personally I think that overhyping fans are worse because they prompt those who wouldn't otherwise care into caring about it, often with an equally strong negative reaction.
>>
I'm in a similar position, OP. I recommend SaGa, Phantasy Star, and Suikoden series.
>>
>>3311278
>RPGs aren't RPGs
>>
>>3310620
Star Ocean 2
Grandia
Legend of Legaia (the combat system was great but the story not so much)

>>3310925
Arc 1 was boring as fuck, could not make it past 5 hours of that shit. Haven't played the sequels, and most likely never will.
>>
>>3310620
>persona 2
Yeah, the story of P2 is crazy but pretty captivating, and the demon negotiation is a nice touch. Also it has anime hitler. Would recommend to others in the thread,
>>
>>3312887
I started the PSP remake but dropped it a little after the second or third boss battle because I really wanted to try 3. I'm waiting for a group to finish their translation of Eternal Punishment for the PSP
>>
>>3311280
Funny you mention the mother fanbase and undertale, starmen.net is basically used exclusively as a undertale fourm. While I'm sure the mother part sees some discussion it may as well be renamed undertale.net.

As a long time mother fan all I can say is try to ignore those people. I agree that a lot of fans are annoying but never let that cloud your judgement of a game.
>>
>>3311706
SRPGs really aren't the same thing. I'm fine with standard JRPGs, but cannot stand SRPGs or TBS/RTS at all.
>>
File: 1418942299672.png (123 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1418942299672.png
123 KB, 500x500
>>3312887
best waifu coming through
>>
>>3310620
Xenogears had a great story IMO, the combat system looks good at first but it gets boring when you get all the
deathblows
>>
>>3310707

I like both so hey
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.