[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best emulator box?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (314 KB, 1302x1264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314 KB, 1302x1264
I don't want to spend more than like $ 150
>>
Best PC with outs your TV will be happy with you can get in your budget. Laptops with broken screens and/or bad batteries are particularly good deals

$30 will buy you a Wii though.
>>
>>3310345
>>3310396
Try to avoid HDMI out since that will add an insane amount of input lag to your games. I personally would recommend a Wii since it's incredibly easy to work with and can run Gamecube games (for free if you have Nintendont).
>>
I would just grab a cheap desktop from a yard sale or something. There's a wide selection of emulators for Windows and Linux that are cycle-accurate. And those that aren't should perform considerably well anyway. You'd have to be autistic to notice the differences.

I don't care much for the availability of emulators for Wii, contrary to what other anons might suggest. It may be something for you to look into, but I think you'll have a great deal more freedom and selection if you just rig a desktop to your TV.
>>
>>3310410
>Try to avoid HDMI out since that will add an insane amount of input lag to your games.
That's wrong. It's just a signal. A lossless digita signal. Any input lag will come from de-interlacing, interlacing, upscaling, post-processing, digital-to-analog conversion or vice-versa.
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4017&IsNodeId=1&Description=nettop&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30
>>
>>3310345
One of them $50 android sticks.
They run any emulator you want and work with all controllers via wireless,bluetooth or usb.
>>3310410
This is bs dont listen to it.
Normal modern LCD shouldn't have more than 16ms.
>>
>>3310345
Get a Pi3 or some cheap linux box.

Your $150 limit excludes getting a real PC unless it's really old.
>>
>>3310345
Get a Wii, a Classic Controller Pro, and a CRT. ~$50, and you're set.
>>
>>3310521
>Your $150 limit excludes getting a real PC unless it's really old.

Which will still outperform a Raspberry. You can grab a $30 desktop that was pulled from an office environment and still be able to outperform a Raspberry. Those devices don't use conventional hardware. The CPU just barely chugs along with its lack of features. In equivalent terms, a 1 GHz quad-core CPU configuration for a Raspberry is like a 500 MHz Pentium III desktop. Maybe not even that powerful.

The only incentive to these devices is their low power consumption. Of course, that comes at the cost of performance. You just can't make a puny 1 - 3 W device function as well as a conventional desktop. Desktop CPUs draw multitudes more power for a reason.
>>
>>3310543
I agree. If you want to emulate, use a real computer. If you wanna build a digital picture frame or open your garage door over HTTP, use a RPi.
>>
>>3310538

agree with this
>>
>>3310543
>>3310671
Guarantee you most people on this board would not be able to tell the difference between a RPi and PC in terms of performance for Atari, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, and earlier MAME games. Sure, there's a couple of games that don't run great (super FX) but 99% of them do.
>>
>>3310538
this, as long as you aren't looking to do 64 and playstation and beyond. get component cables if your tv supports it. don't forget a decently sized sd card, especially if you want to pirate some gamecube games. you know, like some nice ports of retro games :^)
>>
>>3310980
I would highly recommend not loading GCN ISOs from the SD card and using an external HDD instead.
>>
>>3310410
>Try to avoid HDMI out since that will add an insane amount of input lag to your games.
That is complete bullshit.
>>
Input lag is a meme. I'd suggest a PC or a nvidia shield tablet / box if you must have a sperate device.
>>
>>3310474
>Any input lag will come from de-interlacing, interlacing, upscaling, post-processing, digital-to-analog conversion or vice-versa.
I like how you literally covered every actual cause of delay yet people still felt the need to additionally correct the guy.
>>
>>3311374
what's the difference?
>>
>>3312158
Slower read times from an SD, and you could wear it out faster if you're using a cheap one (like me). You can also fit way more games on any random USB 2.0 HDD you might have lying around. I have all my ROMs on the SD in my Wii U and all my GCN games on an external. It's a comfy/easy setup when I feel like sitting on my couch with a big TV instead of the little CRT at my desk. I live in harmony with emulation and real hardware.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.