[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some artistically experimental japanese retro games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 33
File: Moon Remix RPG adventure.png (521 KB, 500x488) Image search: [Google]
Moon Remix RPG adventure.png
521 KB, 500x488
What are some artistically experimental japanese retro games vr?

Bonus points if the game has an amazing experimental soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8LEhjzsto
>>
>>3310078
If experimental Japanese games are your thing check out the Japanese ps1 library. During 5th and 6th gen the PS1 and PS2 received a lot of bizarre and "artistic" games. Most famous of these kind of games is LSD dream simulator by Osamo Sato, he developed a bunch of surreal experimental games.

For 4th gen check out live-a-live, gaia trilogy (soul blazer, illusion of gaia, terranigma), umihara kawase, and earthbound. All of these are snes/sfc games. Nothing experimental/artsy comes to mind for the genesis, moreof arcade like action games.

Hope this helps, also fuck you for reminding me we'll never get moon rpg remix translated.
>>
Seaman on dreamcast.
>>
File: 287390_front.jpg (70 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
287390_front.jpg
70 KB, 500x706
Remember this, /vr/?

>tfw no translation
>>
I had fun playing Eastern Mind after /vr/ shared it. Here's the intro, the music picks up around 1:18.
https://youtu.be/L7nthtOdLTA

There's a sequel too that I haven't played.
>>
7th Saga, Mystic Ark, and Brain Lord.
>>
>>3310104
>Nothing experimental/artsy comes to mind for the genesis

Panic on the Sega CD is about the closest thing to experimental that I can think of on the Genesis. Although that's more in the category of weird and eccentric than experimental.
>>
>Translation fucking never general

This whole thread is pain. Be sure to try Rhythm n' Face on the PS1 if you like quirky, abstract rhythm games. Same team behind LSD I believe.
>>
Hardcore Gaming 101 general?
>>
>>3312771
Don't say that name so loud! "They" will show up.
>>
I don't know if it counts as experimental, but the Katamari series is so Japanese and quirky is curious it managed to be so (relatively) successful in the West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGaTaLsRO48
>>
File: 43465464566.gif (70 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
43465464566.gif
70 KB, 500x600
YO, can we talk about Moon Remix Rpg Adventure?
I think a guy in charge of developing a translation for it is working on it again, though theres no telling how long it will take him to wrap things up.

Anyway, one my favorite things about the game is actually the sprites and game play. Visually, it has a look no other game really has, the sprites look really organic and soft, something which is nearly impossible to find, I mean while other games have a cartoony or simple look, none of them (that I know of) really have the same simple charm Moon Remix does.

The gameplay is also really great, cause it actually focuses on learning what certain NPC's do and developing a schedule around them to quickly accomplish what you need. Not allot of games did this either, accept for maybe "Animal Crossing for the N64 Disk System" but even thats a bit of a push.

What I'm getting at I suppose is, "Moon: Remix RPG Adventure" is a pretty big deal. It tried allot of weird things and themes, and really came out on top by being really good games getting really good scores by various magazines. It's only unfortunate that their games really went under the radar.
>>
File: 3545474.png (66 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
3545474.png
66 KB, 320x240
>>3313034

"UFO - A Day in the Life" was a pretty neat and sort of experimental game, no good sound tracks though. The visual style was pretty great too, it followed along the lines of Moon Remix, mainly cause it was created by the same company.
>>
>>3313034
Don't do this to me, I've waited years. Still hoping someday its translated.
>>
File: moon24.jpg (87 KB, 323x242) Image search: [Google]
moon24.jpg
87 KB, 323x242
>>3314774

It will be, the guy in charge of the translation sent a little update out on the NeoGaf page.

If we could get enough interest and discussion about it though, it might spark some motivation for the project to hurry up a bit.
>>
>>3315025

DON'T ANON. PLEASE. I'M BEGGING YOU.
>>
>>3315025
i really really hope this is true
>>
>>3315082
it's not lol
>>
File: .jpg (41 KB, 660x444) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
41 KB, 660x444
Well I believe we just had a Kenji Eno thread didn't we
>>
File: file.png (353 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
file.png
353 KB, 500x335
>>3313034
I think this game did it. I think it was also made by the same company.
>>
>>3314774
Could've just learned Japanese.
>>
>>3310104
>Osamo Sato
Everything that guy makes is pure gold to me. I absolutely love LSD to bits. I like Eastern Mind and Chu-Teng a lot too. Is there ANYTHING else he's made? He's so fucking obscure finding ANY info on him and his works is almost impossible. Most sites just like LSD and Eastern Mind and not even Chu-Teng.
>>
File: GIF.gif (795 KB, 280x155) Image search: [Google]
GIF.gif
795 KB, 280x155
Paradise Rescue, it's like Lisa Frank in 3D.

>>3315536
He worked on a couple of kid's educational games, but they're harder to find than Chu Teng.
>>
>>3315580
>He worked on a couple of kid's educational games, but they're harder to find than Chu Teng.
Any names? Granted, If they're harder to find than fucking Chu-Teng then I doubt I'll find much on them.
>>
>>3315589
The first is titled "ローリーポーリーズの七転び八起き" and the second is "バナバナ1号
ローリーポーリーズの世界大冒険". So far I've found two people who have them, but neither one would sell or upload the games.
>>
>>3315595
>So far I've found two people who have them, but neither one would sell or upload the games.
God damn that should be illegal. Just letting that shit fade into obscurity and getting buried in the internet. Thanks anyways, anon.
>>
>>3315603
No prob. The horrible truth is that a lot of old Japanese PC games are near impossible to find, especially the more experimental ones.
>>
>>3315605
Has Osamu Sato even made anything more recent than LSD? What's he even up to these days?
>>
>>3315614
He works independently now as a photographer. He'll make some graphic art occasionally, but IMO it's not as impressive as his early stuff.
The last game his company produced was Rhythm n Face in 2000. He never went back into game development because he has no interest in making or playing them, according to an interview.
>>
>>3315635
Huh. That's really interesting, actually. Thanks for the info. I always wondered why he didn't make more games. Was he involved with the development of Rhythm n Face at all? Or was it just his company, but not really him?
>>
>>3310078
This sounds really neat
>>
>>3315665
Yeah, he directed the project and designed the audio and visuals. In his own words, video games were just another form of artistic expression.
>>
File: saboten.png (260 KB, 262x420) Image search: [Google]
saboten.png
260 KB, 262x420
Not PS1, but The Saboten Man reminds me a lot of games like Eastern Mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjiVqeHeYA
>>
>>3315757

Yeah, I'd like to kmow whats going on here.

>>3315757

What the fuck is this game about?

Also, speaking of artsy games, I can't rememger the name of the game, but it was about pressing buttons to find a goal of some sort? There was no action or puzzles involved, it was just pressing buttons to see weird effects or animations.
>>
>>3317517

Whoops, had to repaste the message and thought I forgot to copy the first bit, my bad.
>>
File: 51S2ei9yJtL.jpg (51 KB, 343x500) Image search: [Google]
51S2ei9yJtL.jpg
51 KB, 343x500
Jungle Park, a Windows puzzle multimedia game (from the ex-Nintendo creator of Cubivore), got PS1 and Saturn ports, so definitely look into that: http://polsy.org.uk/play/nico/?vidid=sm7027498

>>3317517
>no action or puzzles involved, it was just pressing buttons to see weird effects or animations
Very likely Alice or L-Zone, two of Haruhiko Shono's early games before Gadget.
>>
File: gfs_91838_1_19.jpg (44 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
gfs_91838_1_19.jpg
44 KB, 960x720
>>3317517
>Also, speaking of artsy games, I can't rememger the name of the game, but it was about pressing buttons to find a goal of some sort? There was no action or puzzles involved, it was just pressing buttons to see weird effects or animations.

Panic! for Sega CD?
>>
>>3315393
Not the same company but similar staff members, most notably Yoshiro Kimura who was a designer and scenario writer for Moon created Chulip.

Moon was by Love-de-Lic; the staff there went their separate ways to other companies like Vanpool, Skip, Punchline, Route24, Onion Games, etc.

Chulip was made by Punchline. They only made one other game (Rule of Rose) and pretty much died afterwards.

After Punchline, Kimura went to work at Marvelous where he created Little King's Story and acted as the producer for No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2.

AFAIK Kimura works at at Onion Games now which he founded(?) where they developed a mobile game called Brave Yamada-kun.
>>
File: 344645456456.png (16 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
344645456456.png
16 KB, 500x448
>>3317758

YEAH! It was incredibly artsy for a game, I mean it mostly visual gags and effects. I don't think it was much of hit either, I know if I had gotten that game as a kid I would have been a little upset about the lack of actual game play.

Also maybe a little spooked or freaked out.
>>
>>3315580
Literally リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー.
Too bad it doesn't run on the Macintosh Plus.
>>
File: watermarks.jpg (66 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
watermarks.jpg
66 KB, 612x612
I've started playing The Book of Watermarks recently. It's an adventure game kind of like myst. All FMVs and the movement is really slow but the sound and story telling are interesting. Worth checking out, just make sure you give it an hour of your time to really get into it.
>>
File: .gif (2 MB, 868x649) Image search: [Google]
.gif
2 MB, 868x649
Pu-Li-Ru-La

You'll hardly find any weirder stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 258x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 258x384
I found this while scrolling through Surugaya. Looks weird, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

http://nicoviewer.net/sp/player?video_id=sm19344523
>>
>>3315536
Rhythm and Face and Planetokio, both on the PS1.
>>
Serial experimental lain for the PS1.

There's a translation of the script here

http://psx.lain.pl/

And it's a great read, I was surprised.
>>
if you like Moon you'll probably be into Chulip on the PS2. same composer, some of the same developers. good weird game, unfortunately getting fairly expensive.
>>
>>3320620
also the same composer worked on chibi robo, good stuff there
>>
File: 172b8df601098684.jpg (17 KB, 284x256) Image search: [Google]
172b8df601098684.jpg
17 KB, 284x256
I'm waiting for the night.
>>
>>3321189
Any info on this?
>>
>>3321652
It's a MoonDisc song you can listen to in Moon RPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQglDJNnM7w
>>
>>3321652
This is just a track from Moon OST (Sketches of Moondays). I believe the artist is called Kinglet.
>>
>>3310218
I managed to find a download if anyone wants this. I didnt download it but it looks like it works.
http://www.myabandonware.com/game/garage-3ey#download
>>
>>3320569

anon, you mean, you should pay 100$ for it. It could be the next big, "Big Obscure Video Game".
>>
File: file.png (280 KB, 620x361) Image search: [Google]
file.png
280 KB, 620x361
Suda 51's early games fit the bill.
It's a shame most were never translated. I enjoyed the DS port of Flower, Sun and Rain though but I barely understood anything that was happening. I remember beta versions of Killer 7 had a lot of connections with the game but they removed them for some reason. It's a shame we never got Silver Case for the DS. Maybe it would have made more sense then?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 384x264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 384x264
>>3325717
I watched the full playthrough and there doesn't seem to be much interactivity. It's probably not a "game" to begin with. Seems like a lot of these old Japanese CD-ROMs are like that.
>>
I am surprised noone mentioned Ihatovo Monogatari. A walking simulator based on works of a famous Japanese writter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaWxe3OTqw
>>
>>3326269
Well you know Silver Case is getting a PC port.
>>
File: 63.jpg (154 KB, 615x405) Image search: [Google]
63.jpg
154 KB, 615x405
>>3328421

Well it certainly looks interesting, though it does seem a bit boring, all you seem to do is talk to various NPC's while solving meager puzzles.
>>
File: jjsquawkers06.png (30 KB, 384x240) Image search: [Google]
jjsquawkers06.png
30 KB, 384x240
J.J. Squawkers was a pretty artsy game, if I can add it to the mix.
>>
File: file.png (128 KB, 359x376) Image search: [Google]
file.png
128 KB, 359x376
>>3328434
I had no idea. You just made my day.
>>
>>3310078
Not sure if experimental enough, but Mizzurna Falls on Playstation was an open-world 3D game in the vein of Deadly Premonition or L.A. Noir. Japan only, BUT a girl by the name of ResidentEvee translated the whole script and a cracker by the name of Gemini works on implementing the translated script into the game. So if everything goes right we'll be able to play it in English soon. Makes me incredibly excited, I love both Twin Peaks and Deadly Premonition.
>>
>>3310104
>live-a-live
I only ever beat the Wild West stage, is the rest of the game any good?
>>
>>3328421
Has there been an English translation of htis?
>>
>>3332283
I don't know, but /lit/ should have a .rar with Japanese lit somewhere, and Miyazawa's works are included. That's the least I can think of.
>>
>>3332280
>Mizzurna Falls

there was a similar Japan-only PS1 game also published by Sony called "Aconcagua" where you control 5 characters with unique abilities and you have to survive in a snowy mountain after an army crash a plane.

The plot location is not-Argentina and the game audio is in Spanish and English but all the menus and subs are in Japanese.

It was never released outside Japan, probably because it was a very late PS1 game and people were more interesting in PS2 games.
>>
>>3332307
Yeah, I have seen some walkthroughs of Aconcagua, looks pretty cool. I planned on asking either Gemini or ResidentEvee about the progress of the MF translation, so I might as well ask about Aconcagua, too.
>>
File: 95786926.jpg (26 KB, 329x384) Image search: [Google]
95786926.jpg
26 KB, 329x384
Its more a visual novel thought , but it's a rare case, a Japanese PC game based heavily on traditional Japanese folklore that it's not about otaku-bait moe girls nor it contains mainstream animu style or lewds (itself a rare feat) and it was localized and released in North America.

It is also meme'd as the only video game Roger "video games are not art" Ebert reviewed and liked
>>
>>3332328
Ebert was a strange guy, really. I've just recently watched "Beyond The Valley of Dolls", for which he wrote the script, and it's basically this sexploitation crime movie with hippie overtones and wacky premise. The guy loved camp and schlock, so perhapse nobody introduced him to proper vidya and that affected his opinion?
>>
>>3332282
I think it's pretty personal and REALLY depends on the person. I liked it quite a bit but I enjoyed the experimental aspects of it even though I think some are quite flawed. I would say give it a try, I do think it's a very unique game and can't think of much of a comparison to it
>>
>>3332335
The whole thing is memery. Ebert later recanted that statement and admitted he knew too little of video games to judge whether or not they are art. But since I'm probably the only person on 4chan who regularly read his blog up until his death, you won't hear that here very often.
>>
File: 35345345345334535.jpg (133 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
35345345345334535.jpg
133 KB, 800x450
>>3332282

Yeah, it is. some chapters/stories are better than others, but I'll be damned if they all don't have redeeming and good qualities. Also, the ending is pretty great and is alone good enough to play for.
>>
>>3332430
>The whole thing is memery. Ebert later recanted that statement and admitted he knew too little of video games to judge whether or not they are art. But since I'm probably the only person on 4chan who regularly read his blog up until his death, you won't hear that here very often.
Good to know, I had a high opinion of him before that statement and it seems that it should stay that way. And I sincerely doubt that you're the only one to follow his blog, people on /tv/ would like a word with you.
>>
>>3332282
It's not the best thing ever like some people make it out to be, but the storytelling is very ambitious and should make up for most of the bad points of the game.
>>
File: PLANET_DOB.jpg (99 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
PLANET_DOB.jpg
99 KB, 1280x960
Planet Dob is a japanese PS1 game I've been hunting down forever. Can't find it anywhere, incredibly unique, I've never seen anything like it
>>
>>3310078
Hylics is neither retro nor Japanese, but I would feel bad for not recommending it to someone who likes surreal, experimental games.
>>
File: yellow brick road manual.jpg (2 MB, 3300x1500) Image search: [Google]
yellow brick road manual.jpg
2 MB, 3300x1500
>>3326762
I found a couple of weird things looking through surugaya's holdings. One thing was called post-pet which is less a game than an email application which features very 90s looking 3D animals. Another was the Mikan Seijin screensaver pack which I've yet to see how that works since I don't currently have a Floppy capable computer and a win 3.x/16bit compatible OS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2KnNLlPaZs

I also found Brick Road. A very 90s 3d, unique artstyle that looks born as much out of ineptitude as it was possible intentional weirdness. Scanned pic related from the manual. Looks like shit because I just did a real quick job.
>>
>>3332430
>Ebert later recanted that statement and admitted he knew too little of video games to judge whether or not they are art

Yeah in a really passive aggressive way after a ton of backlash for such a moronic statement.
>>
File: 1463059025898.jpg (144 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1463059025898.jpg
144 KB, 800x800
>>3332280
>Deadly Premonition

I'm exited about Mizzurna Falls too, I'm going to check out Deadly Premonition on your recommendation.
>>
>>3335524
Even for a mechanic point of view Mizzurna Falls totally looks like a proto-Deadly Premonition;
http://easternmind.tumblr.com/post/2906013149/mizzurna

It's surprising Swery65 didn't mentioned as a source of inspiration along with Shenmue.
>>
>>3335449
Nope, not what happened. Just go ahead and tell yourself whatever pathetic thing you need to feel big, though. He was a much smarter man than you.
>>
File: cover.jpg (138 KB, 800x781) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
138 KB, 800x781
Searching for unconventional PlayStation games, I found this one released in April 2000. It's about a Japanese girl that defuses bombs she finds everywhere. All the bomb's mechanism differ depending on the stage and you have to learn to defuse them and do it in a given amount of time (which is fairly limited and it goes from 4 to 6 minutes, giving the game some big tension).

It's called Suzuki Bakuhatsu and I'm loving every minute of these weird FMV sequences full of nutshit Japanese crap and I also love the gameplay since it's tight and rewarding. Try it.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 445x679) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 445x679
>>3335324
I've mentioned it here before, but there's actually a third game in the series titled ハラペコ月と星あつめ. Supposedly it's more minigame-based than the previous two.
>>
Panekit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bv81U-ZbOs

Probably some stuff in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXdNujFCQ4A
>>
>>3335528
Swery is also the guy who went "What's Twin Peaks? I've never even heard of it."
>>
File: gadget-cover 1.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gadget-cover 1.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
>>3317517
>>3317557
I think that's what L-Zone was like. Just exploring and pressing buttons to see trippy shit.

But yeah Gadget is a weird thing. Not at all what I was expecting when I went into it. Recently I had a random memory of what I thought was a creepy dream or something, but then I realized it was just Gadget. True story.
>>
>>3338401
Seriously? That's so ridiculous it's hard to believe.
Deadly Premonition was extremely similar to Twin Peaks but before that Red Seeds Profile was literally Twin Peaks.
>>
>>3338401
>>3338507
Nah, that has to be false;

http://www.giantbomb.com/deadly-premonition/3030-29212/forums/so-swery-replied-to-my-tweet-twin-peaks-related-qu-418416/

http://kotaku.com/beer-masturbation-and-twin-peaks-a-conversation-with-1701491018
>>
>>3338507
>>3338518
I think he said it in an interview once, but I'm sure he was joking.
>>
File: Vib-Ribbon.jpg (15 KB, 256x254) Image search: [Google]
Vib-Ribbon.jpg
15 KB, 256x254
>>3310078
>Ctrl F
>Vib Ribbon
>no results

You forgot the best one
>>
File: 4755474575467.png (87 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
4755474575467.png
87 KB, 320x240
> http://www.romhacking.net/helpads/543/

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translarion seems to be picking up again.

The guy who was doing the first translation (Esper) apparently wants to get more hidden content in it working. Also, this is the first announcement he's made about the game in a long time.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.