[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when game devs cared about their games and the people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: interplaycastles.jpg (2 MB, 2446x3213) Image search: [Google]
interplaycastles.jpg
2 MB, 2446x3213
Remember when game devs cared about their games and the people who played them?
>>
/vr/ remembers
>>
>>3309836
Do you remember back when games had to be ready to go out of the box and you didn't need to spend an hour patching after installing? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
>>
>>3309836
Do you remember back when you didn't have to install console games before you could play them? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
>>
>>3309836
>Remember when game devs cared about their games and the people who played them?

Seems to me like devs are *more* willing to listen to their fanbases today than 10 or 20 years ago, and that's one of the reasons modern gamers get up-in-arms about things like "social commentary" in the series they normally play.

That's a mixed blessing, really. It's nice to see devs experiment with things that might have been impossible years ago due to censorship practices, but that doesn't salvage games that have otherwise bland or uninspired gameplay mechanics.

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds - the principle design elements found in retro games, and a storytelling process that's completely unhindered by retarded censorship / content policies.
>>
>>3309836
Remember when game manuals were like mini-novels complete with a backstory and fun tidbits about gameplay?
>>
>>3309845
Nice try
>>
File: 1466627625293.jpg (163 KB, 542x526) Image search: [Google]
1466627625293.jpg
163 KB, 542x526
>>3309959

FTFY
>>
>>3309973
There is a mountain of difference between "difficult" and "grind". Shiny pokemon were nothing but random number jesus. Catching them was trivial.
>>
>>3309901

Remember when game manuals existed?
>>
>>3310051
They're paper inserts at best now
>>
>>3309901
>>3310051
>>3310273
>tfw you will never sit in the back seat on the ride home and read thru the manual to the game you just purchased again
>>
remember when games were for boys only?
>>
>>3310454
Shovel Knight did have a great manual that came with it. Then again it was trying to be an NES game
>>
>>3310051
Revelator is probably the first actual, full-color manual I've seen in maybe 5 years. Shocked as fuck.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.