[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>live in finland >watch game chasers/game hunting vids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: FinnishNIghtmares-1.jpg (47 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
FinnishNIghtmares-1.jpg
47 KB, 960x720
>live in finland
>watch game chasers/game hunting vids on youtube
>"5bucks for mario 3! Thats way too much man"
>look up finnish auction sites and flee markets
>all retro games 20-30euros minimum, systems range from 60-100euros with no controllers incl.

Thank god for emulation, finding any retrostuff here is like striking gold
>>
It's pretty much the reality every where else that's not America.
>>
>>3309847
or japan. japan is so cool when it comes to retro shit I've found out with Gamecenter cx.
>>
>>3309847
>It's pretty much the reality every where else that's not America.

Strangers will bug you here too. I don't have public transportation in my area, but as far as waiting rooms goes, yeah. Plenty of people eager to sit next to me and tell me all about their life story and / or current physical ailments, even if the conversation is completely unsolicited.
>>
>>3309847

You can still find reasonably priced games in Germany, but overall the prices have blown through the roof in the last 5 years in Europe and UK

What the fuck happened
>>
Prices are jacked up in the US, too. Sure, Maybe you can find a deal at a flea market, but anyone who is selling in a mainstream area won't be selling Mario 3 for $5.
>>
Italy here, here it's even worse due to the fact that bidders are more likely to scam out of you, recently saw an auction online "Ancient videogame system only 80€", and it was a Playstation1
>>
File: 110812-nes.jpg (28 KB, 470x265) Image search: [Google]
110812-nes.jpg
28 KB, 470x265
>>3309880

>HOLY MOLY BRANDON, ITS PLAYSTATION 001 MODEL WITH BLOWN OFF CIRCUITS AND 17TH CENTURY KEKOOCLOCK INSIDE IT
>EASILY WORTH 800BUCKS
>GAME OVER BRANDO
>>
torilla tavataan
>>
>>3309907
I find it hard to argue that pricing on old games is a legitimate market result when you have people like this guy who know fuckall about games competing for things and buying shit based on objectively wrong estimations of current or future value.
>>
>>3309857
Czech here, same thing. I hate when people do that. I'm not shy or misanthropic, but I really don't care about the sad little life of a completely random person I met on public.

Where are you from, anyway?
>>
>>3309953
I am both shy and misanthropic (militant environmentalist), but I sometimes like that. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it. I don't look at anyone's life as "sad little life", that's not healthy.
>>
>>3309953
>Where are you from, anyway?

The U.S.

What I wouldn't give to live in a country with a population of only 10 million people. Ours is more like 320 million.

Although I live in the South where it's not as cramped, the population here is still insufferably retarded. Everyone and their brother is a hardcore meth addict and will murder you for the spare change in your pocket, or they're some batshit crazy neo-Nazi or religious fundamentalist who quite literally wants to beat their ideologies into you. Just the other day, some guy was standing outside my local Walmart shouting about how the end times are upon us because we've violated the "sanctity" of marriage by allowing same-sex couples to wed. I think one of the employees eventually ran him off.

I'm guessing that may be more of an issue in the South, though. I've never been to any of the more urban parts of the U.S. I have heard horror stories about the kind of crazies cities like New York tend to attract, but any of that pales in comparison to the everyday things you'd encounter here in the Bible Belt.
>>
>>3309985

Uh, you're not me.
>>
>>3309909
PERKELE!
>>
>>3309828
I've learned from /int/ that Finlanders are pretty autistic socially. Why is that?
>>
File: 1424089581800.jpg (165 KB, 865x966) Image search: [Google]
1424089581800.jpg
165 KB, 865x966
>>3310019
>/int/
>>
>>3309850
Japan isn't stupid when it comes to retro shit. I mean, fuck, just look on ebay for almost ANY retro game. 9 times out of 10 times, the Japanese one will be cheaper in every way.
>>
>>3310052
Hey man I lived in Japan for 2 years while teaching English. I wanted to stay but if I were to start a career in IT there I'd be earning less than half what I do right now in real terms.

Here's why I think retro games are cheaper in Japan:

1) Much more copies sold.
2) Outside of Japan no one speaks Japanese (practically) but a few billion people speak English and many of them can afford to buy retro games in English now.
3) Recycling has been BIG in Japan for a long time now. People don't throw much away.
4) Most game shops in Japan take trade ins. When Japanese buy a new system they can trade in their old system and get a nice chunk of change off their new one.
5) Japanese homes are about European sized but they tend to have MUCH less furniture in bedrooms. Tatami mats are still very popular for bedrooms so people don't put heavy furniture on it, leaving kids with less storage space.
6) No hipsters buying old games. Cool kids in Japan are all about the newest X. No vintage obsession.
7) As I said above I'd be earning less than half what I do now if I stayed in Japan. I'd be able to buy a normal family home and support a waifu and kids but I would not have a huge disposable income as I do now. Many nerdy kids growing up with SNES now have VERY well paying jobs in the booming tech industry, so $200 for a Earthbound cart is affordable. In Japan that would be a much larger proportion of their disposable income.
>>
File: 1461652228382.png (159 KB, 289x289) Image search: [Google]
1461652228382.png
159 KB, 289x289
>>3310072
Huh. That's actually pretty fucking interesting, thanks anon. That was nice to know.
It's sad how badly the prices of NA retro games are inflating. It's gotten ridiculous over the past few years. It's honestly made me start to get the Japanese versions instead and, I'm even learning Japanese now.
>>
>>3310084
After 2 years of living there and 3 years of learning it, I still don't buy many Japanese games because I'm not that great and I lost most my weeaboo.

But with the price difference between Japanese and English games, it's practically economical to learn it...
>>
>>3310072
This guy teaching English .
>Much more copies sold.

Oh god. No wonder Japanese people find english so hard.
Other points are valid though. Because not many ppl outside Japan can read Japanese, there is less demand for Japanese games.
>>
File: 77433606.jpg (105 KB, 718x598) Image search: [Google]
77433606.jpg
105 KB, 718x598
>>3309985
>misanthropic
>"Sometimes I like it"
>"I don't look at anyone's life as "sad little life""
>>
>>3310106
>But with the price difference between Japanese and English games, it's practically economical to learn it...
That's why I started. I'm willing to pay some prices that I believe are too much and I have in the past, but with the way it's gotten in the past couple years I've pretty much hit my limit. So much so that I just said fuck it and ordered a Japanese Textbook/Workbook. I obviously have a loooong way to go, but, considering the fact that NA retro game prices are rising with no stop in sight, this'll help me in the long run.
>>
>>3309998
Dixie is right-wing loonies, but the coasts are left-wing loonies.

Your best bet for "normal" people is either the Midwest or Rocky Mountains
>>
>>3310108
My bad.

Actually English speaking ability is not an important criteria for getting an English Teacher job throughout East Asia. More important things include pale skin, University degree, looking good in a suit, walking past a school who need an English teacher.
>>
>>3310121
>>3310108
>>3310106
>>3310084
>>3310072

You guys are a little late. Prices have risen for japanese games as well and if it will keep rising - which it probably will because of people like you who are looking for those specifically - it won't differ much from the US and EU prices anymore.

That being said, even while using flashcarts there will be a risk in the near future that consoles will be hard to find - even more so in Europe - because nobody will need original carts but they still need an original console.
>>
>>3310146
Prices for japanese games will never rise to the extreme that NA carts go for now. Barely anybody is willing to learn an entire language, especially japanese, just for video games. Also, most americans want the NA versions because "muh childhood nostalgia" and hipster kids want the NA versions too.
>>
>>3309907
that currency counter shown in your picture is cumuloative!
>>
>>3309828
went into a game store in manhattan the other day. dude wanted $200 for a master system with 1 controller.

went out to a couple shops on long island and found one for $60.
>>
>>3309861
YouTube.
>>
>>3309828
I'll say this cause you being in finland means you are outside my territory, but online is shit. This might be a bit scary but, look for stores IRL, look for fleamarkets, go to as many as you can.

Its fun, and you find alot of cheaper stuff. Just don't come to any of the bigger cities to the west.
>>
>>3310380
Also, forgot to add:
OPs picture is what Swedish people call a "swedish nightmare", and in our version, the person that starts talking to us is finnish. Just thought you would like to know
>>
>>3310386

Why swedes dislike finns?
>>
>>3310689
I really don't know, old rivalries die hard I guess? Either that or cause they own us at hockey
>>
>>3310115
he's literally holding a picture over a cartridge with his thumb. like really, he couldn't at least tape it?
>>
>>3309857
>that retard replying to the image when we're really talking about old games
>>
Theres alot of resellers on the move too in Europe, i know couple of groups who have their buddies circle around the flee markets early everyday to pick whatever retrostuff they find and then prize them through the eyes of ebay, like a loose copy of mario 1 with a busted label for 40euros
>>
>>3310689

Finns dislike swedes too, its mutual hatred
>>
>>3310106

Too late, the price for JPN import games are rising too
>>
File: 1462460204038.png (445 KB, 566x554) Image search: [Google]
1462460204038.png
445 KB, 566x554
>tfw flashcarts and blank cd-rs solve this problem completely
>>
>>3311352

u still need the system first
>>
>>3310689
because no one likes swedes
>>
>>3309828
Singapoor here. I feel your feels. Hug me, muh mongolian bro!
Amazon doesn't even ship here.
>>
File: iDem8X9.jpg (145 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
iDem8X9.jpg
145 KB, 1000x700
>>3313719

Im proud of my mongorian roots
>>
>>3310706
Was thinking the same thing, what a pussy. At least go all the way if you're making epic memes for upvotes
>>
>>3309828
Has anyone found out why plugging 2 generic usb controllers results in random "disconnection"? i always have to restart the emulator.

Debian Jessie btw, but that happens on windows too. last emu i tried was zsnes and snes9x, both showed the same issue.
>>
File: 1427487919001.gif (317 KB, 128x146) Image search: [Google]
1427487919001.gif
317 KB, 128x146
>Chile is full of atari computers but barely any retro nintendo/sega systems

what the fuck man
>>
>>3314582

Wasnt there somekind of a blockade against Nintendo during the 80-90s in South America, so people only played Sega games?
>>
>>3314165

Heres an epic 7 part podcast about Genghis Khan and the mongolian quest for loot, Dan Carlin is frikkin awesome

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-43-wrath-of-the-khans-i/
>>
>>3309847
Toppest of keks kiddo. America is expensive. There are many places that are cheaper.
>>
>>3314992

Chile published the south american version of Club Nintendo magazine, originally from Mexico.
Nintendo was pretty popular all through south america, the Sega territory was Brazil, but more with master system than genesis.
Genesis was pretty popular in south america mainly due to cheap games (piracy).
SNES was mostly original, not common to find their bootlegs.
>>
>>3310072
>5) Japanese homes are about European sized but they tend to have MUCH less furniture in bedrooms. Tatami mats are still very popular for bedrooms so people don't put heavy furniture on it, leaving kids with less storage space.

Haha what the fuck am I reading.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.