[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did retro RPGs and Strategy/Sim games age better, at least in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: no remorse.jpg (218 KB, 710x533) Image search: [Google]
no remorse.jpg
218 KB, 710x533
Did retro RPGs and Strategy/Sim games age better, at least in regards to PC games? Whenever people start talking about retro PC games it seems like RPGs and strategy games are all that gets discussed for the most part. Maybe it's just my ignorance - I never had a PC until end of middle school around 2001 - but aside from Doom, Half-Life and Quake you don't hear about a lot of action/shooter games for the PC before 2000/2001ish. It always seemed like RPGs dominated the PC throughout the 90s, so were there just not a lot of action games? Or did they not age as well as the RPGs?

I've been going back and playing a lot of retro PC games I missed as a kid, but I realized the other day it's mostly RPGs, RTS and other strategy games. I kind of always felt like adventure games were grouped with RPGs, so maybe this view is just due to my less-strict view of genres? Ever since this most recent GoG sale where I picked up Crusader No Remorse and was really impressed by it, I've been trying to add more action games and shooters to my retro backlog, but most recommendation lists and whatnot are largely RPGs and strategy.

What do you guys think? Am I just incredibly ignorant/noobish when it comes to the retro PC landscape?
>>
Jesus, there is a game I haven't seen in years.

As for non RPGs, it probably is due to the length of the games. Most old shootets and whatnot just weren't that long or replayable without multuplayer. Whereas RPGs, RTS, sim, and city builders all had tons of content and/or replayability. The big name retro RPGs all have loads of content to discover and different ways to build characters and parties.
>>
>>3309751
But there must be more than just a few action/shooter games that are worth playing even if they're short or lack replayability? Very few ever get mentioned or recommended tho
>>
>>3309462
RPGs I think just hold up better as are enjoyable even with wonky controls
Plus they age far better compared to early shooters/action games

Though there are great action oriented games like Red Storm, Marathon, Hexen, Heretic, Blood, Dark Forces, Super Stardust, System Shock, an others.
>>
File: Top 100 games.jpg (384 KB, 778x1077) Image search: [Google]
Top 100 games.jpg
384 KB, 778x1077
Look into old game magazines to see which games were popular in their time.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.