[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most interesting games for the X68000? Bonus points
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: sharp_x68k-xvi_front.jpg (3 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
sharp_x68k-xvi_front.jpg
3 MB, 2736x3648
What are the most interesting games for the X68000? Bonus points for titles with good soundtracks.
>>
>>3307878
The Nemesis III and Castlevania remakes.
>>
Castlevania and Geograph Seal
>>
Thunder Force II on the x68000 is superior to Thunder Force IV and III, seriously, god fucking tier music and graphics.
>>
File: granada.jpg (23 KB, 251x342) Image search: [Google]
granada.jpg
23 KB, 251x342
>>3307878
Best Wolf Team game.
>>
Anything that isn't a PC98 or PC88 port.
>>
Any Capcom game on the Sharp is 1:1 with the arcade version, due to it being the computer they were developed on.
>>
File: nemesis90kai-05.png (13 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
nemesis90kai-05.png
13 KB, 250x236
Gradius 2 (as Nemesis '90 Kai, a remake of an MSX1 title) is pretty awesome. Easily my favorite game in the series.

On a related note, I think Gradius and Gradius II were ported to the x68k. The platform reputedly had a lot of arcade-accurate ports.
>>
>>3307973
Nemesis games aren't the same as Gradius games, they have different mechanics and levels and such.
>>
I love Chorensha
>>
>>3307942
I don't know about the other Capcom games, but Final Fight isn't 1:1. It has a lower number of on-screen enemies than the arcade (8 vs. 4). Still better than the Super NES and Sega CD versions though.
>>
>>3307992
>Nemesis games aren't the same as Gradius games

Um, no they don't. Two of them had more advanced mechanics than your usual Gradius fare, but the others are mostly clones of other Gradius titles with different stage arrangements.

The only reason Konami called some of the games "Nemesis" is due to licensing restrictions with Nintendo. Konami wasn't allowed to develop games for other platforms without either having them published by a different (or ghost) company, or renaming them to something that didn't already exist on the Famicom / NES. Nintendo either would have dropped Konami or filed a lawsuit against them for breaking contract.
>>
>>3308034
You haven't even played Nemesis II or Gradius II, have you? They're nothing alike, other than being horizontal shmups.
>>
>>3308034
>The only reason Konami called some of the games "Nemesis" is due to licensing restrictions with Nintendo. Konami wasn't allowed to develop games for other platforms without either having them published by a different (or ghost) company, or renaming them to something that didn't already exist on the Famicom / NES. Nintendo either would have dropped Konami or filed a lawsuit against them for breaking contract.
That's wrong! Nemesis was the export title Konami used for the arcade version and it predated the NES version. For some reason when they released Gradius on the NES, they kept the Gradius name for the US. The only other versions to use the Nemesis name were the MSX version in Europe and the two Game Boy games (which were called Nemesis even in Japan).
>>
>>3307878
Star trader standard shmup but god tier ost.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SE76HbDs6M4
Keishi Yonao is a boss
>>
>>3308042
Nemesis was the outside of Japan name for the original arcade version of Gradius. There are some differences IIRC, but it is essentially the same game.
>>
>>3308051

Konami did use Nemesis as an export title, but that doesn't change the fact that the brand was also used to get around Nintendo's licensing policies. Konami even published the game under its "UltraGames" alias in some cases. Oddly, "UltraGames" even published a Game Boy title as Nemesis in all territories, including Japan.
>>
File: EtoilePrincess.png (44 KB, 641x511) Image search: [Google]
EtoilePrincess.png
44 KB, 641x511
This one is a pretty rad run and gun. Had a lot of fun with this one when I had the X68000 emulator.
>>
>>3308080
>Konami did use Nemesis as an export title, but that doesn't change the fact that the brand was also used to get around Nintendo's licensing policies.
No, you're assuming that was the case, but there's no evidence. Metal Gear was released on the MSX2 and NES under the same title in the UK, as was Road Fighter. Konami were simply inconsistent in their localizations across multiple platforms back then.

The Ultra Games brand was only to bypass the five games limit in North America.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbfTM6SoPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bU8jm5YHM8
>>
File: 9964296_p0.jpg (327 KB, 800x1141) Image search: [Google]
9964296_p0.jpg
327 KB, 800x1141
Genocide 2: Master of the Dark Communion.

Platformer/Hack 'n Slash with a cool industrial look to it and an incredibly jazzy soundtrack. Plays just like an arcade game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6eeACpMYzg
>>
>>3308323

I remember this one from the Game Sack video, it looks awesome.
>>
Mad Stalker is kind of neat if you like mecha-themed sidescrolling FTG's.
>>
File: Insubordination.webm (3 MB, 772x534) Image search: [Google]
Insubordination.webm
3 MB, 772x534
>>3307878
If you want a time-travel Western-style visual novel about traveling back and forward in time to stop Hitler's resurrection, try Signatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5J6XY0ypYw

Easier games to get into (with great music) are Square Resort (embed related), Overtake, Star Cruiser, and doujin stuff like Buster or the SION vector shooters.
>>
>>3308295
>but there's no evidence ... so my take on the situation is now elevated to the status of being a matter of fact

Is this a new /vr/ meme?
>>
>>3308361
Except you're obviously talking out of your ass, whereas I'm offering counter-example against your point.

Gradius, Contra, Twin Bee, Akumajou Dracula, Metal Gear, Ganbare Goemon and Yie-Ar Kung-Fu (among other games) were released on both, the Famicom and MSX, under the same title on both platforms.

Let's not even forget games by other companies that were released across multiple platforms such as Senjou no Ookami/Commando, Double Dragon, Ikari Warriors, Makaijima, ect. that kept the same title across different titles.
>>
>>3308383
*that kept the same title across different platforms.
>>
>>3308057
also the msx games are not straight ports but largely different games
>>
is there any flash or floppy-hdd device you can use with the X68000?
>>
>>3308739
I believe so. But importing a x68000 computer is difficult ant they coast a few hundred $. Best just to play the emulator.
>>
>>3308739
You can build an HDI on compact flash and hook it up to any X68k, and the HxC floppy emulator supports the platform's .hdm and .xdf floppy types.
>>
>>3308735
The original Nemesis on the MSX was pretty much a port of the first Gradius, but Nemesis 2 and 3 were completely original. Nemesis 2, which was titled Gradius 2 in Japan, actually predated the arcade version of Gradius II and is the game that Nemesis '90 Kai was based on.

Salamander was also very different on the MSX too.
>>
>>3308834
>Salamander was also very different on the MSX too.
and has 2 player!
>>
>>3308349
That game looks cool. Love the physics.
>>
>>3309140
The one in the webm, that is.
>>
File: 1.png (11 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1.png
11 KB, 512x512
It's not a great game (and its jumping controls are totally fucked), but X68000 Valis II is the best version of Valis II, and probably the best Valis game period* for being interesting and having a killer presentation/story. It's worth checking out (and getting past the first two janky levels getting used to the controls), especially if you like OVAs of that period.

*runners up being Valis 1 and Valis 3 on the PC Engine, though they are both -just- ok.
>>
File: a3.png (25 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
a3.png
25 KB, 512x512
>>3309514
>>
File: Secuencia 01.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Secuencia 01.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Can someone help me? I've been trying to play Super Street Fighter II on Win68K, and it runs, but then it freezes repeatedly like in the webm

Anyone? Mind you, audio stills plays perfectly, and that makes it even weirder
>>
>>3310510
looks like u r pressing the pause button when pressing down
>>
Using x68k highspeed with a 360 controller. Really hard to hit diagonal directions on the analogue sticks. Any way to increase the range on diagonal inputs?
>>
>>3311630
>using an Xbox controller for retro games
>>
>>3310510
easiest fix is to play the mame version
no need to thank me
>>
>>3311562
Nope, already changed the options and it keeps the same. It freezes everytime I press more than 2 buttons apparently.

No errors in other games tho, just this game in particular
>>
>>3308269
Neat game. Exact also made Aquales and Geograph Seal for the x68k which are worth checking out.
>>3308337
What the hell is an FTG?
>>3311630
>360 controller
>>
>>3314976
>What the hell is an FTG?
Figh-Ting Game. What Japan calls all fighters and beat 'em ups.
>>
>>3311817
What's the superior controller? Have a 240p RGB PC setup with crt and no good controls. Fuse blew on 360 dongle and haven't shunted yet.
>>
>>3317534
>240p
For a X68 where resolutions are a multiple of 256?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.