[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Another Hardware VS Emulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 18
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
So what do you prefer?
>>
>>3306963
Breakfast.
>>
Anymore, emulation. Its just too damn convent. And being able to save state in games that lack proper saving makes it so I can actually have a chance to play thru them since I get such a small amount of time per day that I can fuck around with games (being an adult sucks)
>>
inb4 shitstorm
>>
I prefer jacking off to cartoons rather than playing video games.
>>
>>3306963
Original hardware.

Not that I'm against emulation, I will use it occasionally, but I just like using the real stuff.
>>
Honestly, depends which system. I'll probably never buy a SNES game because higan is just too fantastic (and I live in a PAL region so we got shit versions of everything).

But things that I know aren't emulated to perfection I'll likely buy. For example I'm planning on buying an NTSC PS2 to play some RPGs I miss because my computer can't run PCSX2, and it's not the most accurate emulator anyway.

So basically: I'll emulate if the console has a highly accurate emulator, but buy physical if it doesn't.

Only exception is my Famicom, which I love to pieces.
>>
When I can't afford it or have no space for it in my house, I emulate.
>>
Even with the best emulators, I feel a slight delay with my input. Compounded with games that already have a button delay, it feels very sluggish. I might just be autistic, but it's the reason I don't just emulate everything.
>>
>>3307000
Ask Mootwo for /v2k/, /vr/ will never add them.
>>
Emulation for now, original hardware once I'm no longer a college poorfag
>>
either. i just like to play video games.
>>
>>3306963
NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, GB, GBC, GBA among many others have nearly perfect emulation. This comes with some perks too:

-If played on PC emus you can use wireless controllers for maximum comfiness or a USB adapter to play with the original controller. Your choice.
-No worries about carts not working, batteries dying, bent pins, etc.
-Saves you a fortune.
-Saves you a ton of physical space in your house. No need for a spagetti of cables everywere and tons of power bars.
-You can have literally the entire library of games for the aformentioned consoles in less than 30 GB space (not counting hacks or mods).
-CRT/Scanlines/Colors/Blur can be reproduced faithfully on high end emus.
-Fan translations of GOAT games we'll never get.
-You can connect your PC (optimally a Laptop) to a HDTV to play your games in an actual TV rather than a monitor.

I don't aprove of these but some people may consider them as "perks":

-Save states
-Cheat codes
-Patches to modify bugs or physics

The N64/PSX/Saturn gen onwards is were I'll recommend getting the actual consoles as the emulation for those systems is not perfect, requires a lot of configuration on a game by game basis, FPS drops are up the ass or it doesn't work at all.
>>
emulators are better. if they had emulators back in the old days when these things first came out, they wouldn't even make consoles or carts they would just throw up there hands and say psshhh fugg it and put the roms online and the emultor scene would floruish and there would be a massive amount of progression on systems we have emulators for, we'd prolly have a ps3 emulator that was worth a crapola, and all them dang dirty reseller scumturds would be poors living in boxes in the woods wipin there butts with a pinecone eatin out of the dumpster cause they wouldn't be fat cats gettin all ppls money from overinlfating retro game prices!
>>
>>3306963
I like both, however, I prefer emulation because it's convenient and I refuse to give money to the reseller jews.
>>
>>3307016
This. It's obvious to say, but their not white either.
>>
File: Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif (586 KB, 347x270) Image search: [Google]
Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif
586 KB, 347x270
>>3306963
When it's good enough to run the game at it's proper frame rate and look good then emulation all the way. I look forward to the days when I don't have to keep a Saturn and CRT around anymore.
>>
>>3307045
>SNES emulation
>Fake Scanlines
>Perfect

5/10 bait, anon
>>
>>3307275
There are people who genuinely like emulated scanlines. Just like there are people who genuinely like CRT screens. Spend enough time here and you'll realize that a lot of what you think is bait is actually people just being honest about their preferences.
>>
>>3306963
I like both, but collecting is a cancerous hobby.
>>
>>3306963
Both. However a Wii with emulators saves a ton of space. Fuck hooking up more than 2 consoles at once.
>>
>>3306963
I don't have anything against emulation. I prefer real hardware. Although these days I think the best solution is real hardware and a flash cart. The convenience of piracy and the warm and tingly feeling of a real controller and a CRT.
>>
>>3307284
It's not possible to not "like" CRT televisions, not unless you are very ignorant. Whether or not you think they're worth bothering with nowadays is up to you, but to not "like" them is not a valid stance to have.
>>
>>3307415
>but to not "like" them is not a valid stance to have.

I strongly disagree. I hate the light that comes out of CRTs and the way anything looks displayed on them. I know all /vr/'s reasons for why everyone is supposed to like them but I never have.

And before you call me underage like almost everyone does when I bring this up here, I'm in my 40's and have seen and used many, many in my day. I have one for my Saturn because emulation for it is still shit, but once that's good enoughI look forward to never having one clutter my house up ever again.

I respect there are people who like them, and even like their emulated games to look like them but those tastes are certainly not universal.
>>
>>3307284
emulated scanlines are the fucking shit

25% is the truth, the life, and the way
>>
>>3307334
Pretty much this

I think emulation is good but it will never be the same as real hardware, the difference might be small enough for most people to not realize it, but for very hard and fast games the input lag is very noticable
>>
Real hardware since it isn't emulating anything. It is the real thing.
>>
>>3307334
Flashcarts have changed the game for me. I've always been more interested in owning real hardware, but the game carts themselves don't hold a lot of value, personally. Obviously you need games to play on the hardware so flashcarts are just perfect.
>>
File: 1464388397790.gif (780 KB, 360x238) Image search: [Google]
1464388397790.gif
780 KB, 360x238
>>3307483
Either play on a CRT, or emulate with raw pixels. There is no in between.
>>
>>3307576
>being authoritarian about other people's hobbies

Why does vr attract such socially stunted assholes?
>>
>>3307334
Seriously. I'll pay for the hardware because you can usually find it for cheap if you shop around and check garage sales. Some of the games are ridiculously priced though, a few being twice or even three times the cost of the console and a flashcart.

The original devs aren't seeing a cent of that $1500 copy of Little Samson and I seriously doubt they're getting much if anything at all from the Virtual Console, so I'll happily pirate the games, guilt free.
>>
File: Scalers.jpg (128 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Scalers.jpg
128 KB, 512x512
>>3307583
I have to draw the line somewhere, and that line is emulated scanlines.
>>
>>3307592
And what makes you think anyone anywhere cares what lines you want to draw?
>>
File: 1451520986561.png (231 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1451520986561.png
231 KB, 894x894
>>3306985
>>
>>3307264
>>3307000
It's some inane fear that allowing GBA or Gamecube or PS2 discussion will invite /v/ cancer, yet they don't realize /v/ stopped giving a shit about those consoles (15 year old consoles, mind you) a long time ago.

>B-But NO HALO! NOT MY /vr/!

I think that's pretty much the crux of the argument.
>>
I feel like the original console with an everdrive cart strikes a happy medium. Good input, feels, etc while not paying $$$ for all the games.
>>
>>3307619
I think the main point brought up with that is that a lot of PS2 games are a lot younger than 15 years and it was only just discontinued in 2013. Sports games were still being put out on it only 2 years ago.

And then some people also bring up the "slippery slope" thing, you know - if we allow GBA discussion, then eventually people will be asking for the DS and PSP, then people will want to know why we can't talk about the Wii then the 360, etc. etc. A hard date at least makes it easier to manage.

To be honest we already kind of talk about the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox/GBA with the right threads and there hasn't been any /v/ cancer so far. If anything the /v/ cancer comes from the NOT RETRO posts autists make that derail any meaningful discussion. Personally I'd like to see the consoles allowed though.
>>
>>3307619
NO FUCK YOU I DONT WANT HALO! THE SAME TWELVE YEAR OLDS FROM FOURTEEN YEARS AGO WILL RAPE THE BOARD!! EVEN AFTER FOURTEEN YEARS THEY'RE STILL TWELVE YEARS OLD AND PLAYING HALO FUCK YOU
>>
>>3307659
Well then let's allow the rest except the Xbox. We'll be the no Xbox club.
>>
>>3307657
>And then some people also bring up the "slippery slope" thing, you know - if we allow GBA discussion, then eventually people will be asking for the DS and PSP, then people will want to know why we can't talk about the Wii then the 360, etc. etc. A hard date at least makes it easier to manage.

I don't see why they can't be discussed if /vr/ or 4chan is still around in 20 years. They'll be considered retro in due time, whether people like it or not. I see the fact that such games were released only a few years ago for the system as a valid argument, but they're likely not games /vr/ will care to discuss. The board's quality is hampered by the inability to discuss say, Wave Race GCN or Luigi's Mansion compared to the fear of generic sports title 2k12 being discussed off-handedly.

>>3307659
kek
>>
>>3307662
NO FUCK YOU THERE'S A NURUTU GAME ON THE PS2 I DON'T WANT 12 YEAR OLD NURUTU FAGS ON -MY- BOARD
>>
>>3307675
No Xbox and Naruto club.
>>
>>3307676
NO FUCK YOU THE PS2 STILL HAS GAMES COMING OUT FOR IT
>>
>>3307045
>-Saves you a fortune.
When I got a SNES I priced up how much it would cost to buy all the games I wanted using sold listing on ebay. Came to around £4500...

Bought an everdrive for £70. Works great!
>>
>>3306963
I like to play on the actual machine, so original hardware all the way.
>>
>>3307619
I used to think that the fear of /v/ cancer was unwarranted, but after seeing what /wwe/ did to /asp/, there's at least a precedent for a board being completely ruined. Either way, there still should be a couple years before 6th gen is allowed here; bear in mind that all of those consoles have had releases in the past ten years (the PS2 even had one less than three years ago!).

I just wish there was a place to discuss Melee.
>>
>>3307686
If it's a PAL game, why does the box say soccer?
>>
>>3307151
>their not white either
>their

You're not white either.
>>
>>3307714
Because that's the brand, mate.
>>
>>3307713
Personally I think it's still unwarranted, because our regular posters are already no better than /v/. The board is just slower. Shitposting and trolling here is every bit as bad.
>>
>>3307713
>I just wish there was a place to discuss Melee.
Fuck man, I feel you. I really want to talk about F-Zero GX, Red Alert 2 and Morrowind as well.

Basically the shit /v/ couldn't give a fuck about. Shit that's only a few years older than 1999.
>>
>>3306963
If we're considering the experience only, than obviously original hardware. I can't really tell the difference in accuracy (except on N64), but there's a certain warmth that you get from popping in a cartridge and firing up the console. However, the cost of original hardware is pretty outrageous nowadays, even with flash carts, so I stick to Wii emulation.
>>
>>3307727
>few years younger than 1999*
I'm a retard.
>>
Original hardware before the prices skyrocketed.

Emulation with the current market.
>>
I'm not autistic enough to notice the minor differences in emulation vrs original hardware, but i'm just autistic enough to want my games to be as legit as possible.

So I buy all digital re-releases, and emulate things that haven't and probably won't get a re-distribution.

Life's kind of a bitch so I had to lose all of my systems older than a wii anyways.
>>
>>3306963
>So what do you prefer?

I don't. There's no observable distinction in cases where emulation software is considerably cycle-accurate. Even if there were, I wouldn't consider it worth the argument. How some stranger over the Internet prefers to engage in this hobby should be of no reasonable concern to me or anybody else.

As for my collection: I'll invest in whatever hardware and games aren't overpriced, but everything else is done through emulation.
>>
Just don't have the space for all the hardware anymore and don't even want to bother getting a 200 lbs CRT tv just for vidya.

Emulation is just more convenient and got so much accurate since I first tried it in the late 90's
>>
>>3307750
>How some stranger over the Internet prefers to engage in this hobby should be of no reasonable concern to me or anybody else.

This is very true, but it's understandable why they get defensive. There are people who spend serious amounts of money to get original games and hardware so they have a vested interest in trying to convince other people that it's an objectively better way to play games.
>>
Emulation.

I'm a grown ass man with real-world responsibilities. I don't have to time not have save states.
>>
Hardware for life. I grew up playing these games on consoles and emulators just don't have the same look and feel. I also keep this 300lb Trinitron around just because NES/SNES doesn't quite look right on LCD. Also light gun games only work on CRT as far as I know.
>>
>>3307781
This, i used to spend thousands on hardware, even had a dedicated room for it, shelves lining the walls, posters, one wall with consoles and a giant TV, the works.

Now i have children.

Honestly, with the state of emulation today, i don´t miss the hardware at all.
>>
>>3307719
Stop replying to obvious shitposting you moron.
>>
What about something like the GB GBC or GBA?
Are they worth emulating even if you still have something like a GBA SP around?
>>
File: 1199497835_f.jpg (11 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1199497835_f.jpg
11 KB, 500x375
Best of both worlds master race.

If I have the console and the game, I'll gladly sit in front of my CRT, insert the cart/disc, grab the OG controller and have a blast.

If I don't have the console or game, I'll emulate on my PSP and play like a champ on my free times in short bursts. Emulation on devices like PSP comes in very handy when you're an adult and don't have that much time anymore, I don't use save states, but I do use the PSP sleep function a lot to resume gameplay later.

People who bitch about emulation and claim to only play on original hardware are most likely collectors and don't play much video games, and people who bitch about collectors and claim emulation is better are probably jelly deep in their hearts, because owning games you like and play them on the original hard feels good.
>>
>>3306985
Y-you to?.
>>
>>3306963
I prefer original hardware but emulation is fine.
>>
>>3307850
Nope, GBA SP is damn good for those
>>
>>3307576
Nah, there's an in between. Go fuck yourself.
>>
Hardware wins with added nostalgia, but the save states for emulators are great for speed runs and quickplay
>>
So today I tried Wii on my new CRTs with the latest retroarch/libretro due to it being recommend on here a lot.

I wasn't impressed. I don't know if it was just my settings (everything default except resolution was set to 640x240 for genesis) but I got quite a bit of slowdown and issues after playing a few levels of Sonic 2. It looks great, but I would have thought the Wii would have no problems emulating genesis?
>>
>>3308837

Not enough blast processing.

For real though, doesn't Sonic 2 get slowdowns every now and then, even on real hard?
If not, try the actual VC release with a WAD loader.
>>
>>3308840
Yeah, it does have slowdowns on real hardware but I know exactly what causes it/when it happens. Genesis was the first console I actually owned and sonic 2 was the first and only game I had for a number of years, so I know the game like the back on my hand. It definitely wasn't as good emulation as even an older PC I have, and slowdowns were happening in spots they shouldn't.

I was hoping not to use VC stuff cause that's tedious, I just wanted to have access to all ROMs through retroarch.

The wii was just an experiment/temporary solution anyway, I'm going to be building a cheap emulation PC with a radeon 5450 outputting 15khz to my CRT, so that should solve any problems.
>>
>>3308863

I understand you, I do the same but with SMW, I know the game in and out so I use it to test emulators, controllers, TVs, etc. I can notice if there's lag or anything instantly.

In my experience Retroarch isn't 100% faithful, but it's the most flexible. I remember getting weird glitches on Rondo of Blood playing on PS3 retroarch for example.
>>
>>3307334
This is where I'm at now.

I thought I was happy with Wii + component CRT, but I recently picked up a Mega Everdrive for my Model 1 and it might be the best decision I've made in a while. Sega on Wii always felt slightly off on a CRT. I liked it so much I tried to order a Chinese knockoff Super Everdrive, but Aliexpress cancelled my order and demanded I send them photocopies of all kinds of ID, so fuck it, looks like the Ukrainian will be getting a few more of my shekels next payday.

I still think emulation is a fine choice, but flash carts are the obvious option for someone with more than a passing interest.
>>
>>3308837
I don't have any luck past version 1.0.0.2 as far as Genesis goes on Retroarch. You can find a copy of that edition in the Libretro archives and give that a shot if you want. The menus have a few differences as well.
>>
>>3308882

Y'know, I'm considering doing the same thing. Right now I'm really enjoying playing on my Wii. But thinking I'll be really content if I just had some flash carts. I'm considering getting some from Aliexpress, seeing how I'd just be spending $150 for the carts I want and not over $300. I'm just wondering would it be worth getting the chinese knock offs. Anyone have any long term experiences with these? Are you happy with them?
>>
>>3307483
i raf i ruse
>>
>>3307576
just cos you know how to use a keyboard doesn't mean you should
>>
I have a wii and hyperspin set up on the pc, maybe if i had more money/space i would set up a nice game room with originalhardware, but for now im happy emulating. I still have a dreamcast, and would really like to have a snes.but with prices these days ill just stick to what ive got
>>
>>3308952
>cos
Stopped reading
>>3308928
I bought a Famicom ED from AliExpress and it kicks ass. Came with the newest Firmware and everything.
>>
>>3306985
obligatory bait
>>
>>3306963

Good emulation > original hardware > bad emulation
>>
>>3308895
It doesn't have any problems emulating Genesis if you don't use RetroArch and instead use Genesis Plus.
>>
This thread depicts the cancer that is destroying this board.

>stop liking what i don't like
>>
File: I_457846.jpg (173 KB, 957x718) Image search: [Google]
I_457846.jpg
173 KB, 957x718
So I'm playing Secret of Mana with my friend Senate over ZSNES. We just got to The Empire (more than halfway through the game), and he's still wearing his fucking power wrist. It has 4 defense, as opposed to the ~20 defense from the armor available to us right now (this makes a lot of difference in the world of mana), but he keeps it anyways because it has +5 STR which he is convinced is more important than any amount of defense (it's not).

So while we were in the shop at The Empire, he gave up control of his character for a moment to go AFK, so I popped into his inventory and unequipped his power wrist so I could sell it and buy a Golem Ring instead. He noticed soon after he returned that his power wrist was missing, and became irate.

So now we're on our way to "potatos" (he means Potos Village) to buy back his power wrist. What he doesn't know is that he can buy it at the shop we just left in The Empire
>>
File: 1461860461195.jpg (218 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461860461195.jpg
218 KB, 1000x1000
>>3310032
>>stop liking what i don't like

That's basically all of 4chan isn't it? Any thread on any board, that's all you see
>>
>>3310034
why is he obsessed with that? Is he 2 years old?
>>
>>3310094
Oldest shit
>>
if we're talking about smw hacks:
if it's anything kaizo/has custom music+was made before addmusick, emulator
>>
>>3306963
Original Hardware for sure~
Emulation always comes as an alternative if I have no chance to play it on console.
>>
File: 1464809614901.jpg (71 KB, 750x714) Image search: [Google]
1464809614901.jpg
71 KB, 750x714
>>3310034
Haven't seen this copypasta in a long time, I am getting old
>>
>>3310112
I wrote this story and posted it to /b/.

I didn't think it was that funny.

I never understood why it gained meme status.
>>
>>3306972
>Anymore, emulation. Its just too damn convent. And being able to save state in games that lack proper saving makes it so I can actually have a chance to play thru them since I get such a small amount of time per day that I can fuck around with games (being an adult sucks)

101% true
>>
my biggest gripe with emulation is input lag. I don't care about higan's perfect accuracy, playing super Mario world feels like shit compared to a real snes hooked up to a crt. And this is even when I emulate using a crt
>>
>>3310112
if you did, thank you. it's one of the earliest things I remember from here
>>
>>3309203
Is every joke you don't like bait these days?
>>
I prefer emulation for a number of reasons

-Don't have to pay out the ass for a framemeister+rgb cables for a decent picture
-Can easily use different controllers. I vastly prefer playing anything pre-analog stick on an arcade stick and don't wanna deal with finding an RJ45 cable for every console
-Higher resolution and widescreen hacks for stuff on PS2/GC/etc.
-Fan translations and hacks without having to buy an expensive or hard to find flashcart

I still have a sizeable retro game collection but I like emulation more overall
>>
>>3306963
Honestly I'm a physical content fan. I buy CDs, DVDs/Blu-rays, books, even new games (3DS etc) in box when possible. But retro games are just inexplicably expensive. There's some games I love that I'd have to pay well over $100 for! I just can't possibly justify that kind of spending on something I can easily get for free.

The other thing is that in most cases, a pirated movie or song won't be the true quality of the original rip, unless you really hunt for full quality stuff. With old games, the pirated ROM plays identically to the actual game, especially if you're using a flash cart. Just my two cents, if you have the money to burn have fun but for someone will bills to pay I can't justify it.
>>
Emulation all the way. Why spend thousands of dollars when I can emulate anything I want to play for absolutely nothing? My bills get paid, my family is taken care of and I play the entire library of any system I want. It's the best of both worlds.
>>
>>3310718
This is exactly why we live in the golden age of information. 100 years from now it won't be as easy
>>
>>3309405
Gen Plus refuses to detect a few games for some reason but otherwise it's pretty good.
>>
>>3306963
Emulation, quicksaves, no pasword needed, translations. can play on my phone.
>>
>>3310034
Bullshit, you can't sell weapons on Secret of Mana nror buy them, you need to take them to Watts and he will upgrade them.
>>
>>3310920
What games? I never had problems with any, only a few Sonic hacks which fail on real hardware as well and need an emulator option to be turned on (or off can'tremember). Retroarch is using same Genplus core btw, it's just a little bit slower and buggier in my experience because retroarch is less optimized than gx frontend.
>>
>>3310959
Not too fast, the Power Wrist is an armour, not a weapon, therefore it can be bought/sold.
>>
>>3306963
I use original hardware for Snes and anything from the saturn/64/ps1 upwards, but I am perfectly content emulating Genesis and all the previous gen systems. 64 and Saturn emulation is shit and I have the consoles anyway,
>>
>>3311108
Alien Soldier and Castlevania Bloodlines I believe.
>>
>>3307264
>dreamcast
>1998
gee i fucking wonder why
>>
>>3311154
I've played these games without any problem in GenPlus GX, you must have bad roms or are trying to use 7zip compressed files which don't work in the Wii GX emus
>>
Any good filter settings for Genesis Plus GX?
>>
File: 1465657639686.png (29 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
1465657639686.png
29 KB, 404x404
>>3312032
RAW PIXELSSSSSS
>>
original of course
>>
>>3307275
the only emulated scan's I like are the ones for metal slug in Steam they seem to have a good scan emulator and of course the XRGB mini...but fuck that expensive thing,.,,
>>
File: IMG_1766.jpg (768 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1766.jpg
768 KB, 2448x3264
>>3307857
I mean really...
It's not that hard.
>>
I'll only emulate games that I can't play on my systems (Like region-locked ones) or ones that are hard to find or the hardware is too expensive (Like PC-98 stuff)
>>
>>3306963
Original.

It's like reading a book or listening to a record. It's nice to have the hardware. Not necessary, but very nice.
>>
Original, at least over emulation on PC because I just don't particularly like gaming on PC (not trying to start an argument here it's just personal preference)
Digital download on consoles is a bit different because it feels a bit more genuine, so I prefer that over the hassle of digging up my old consoles, but there are exceptions.
>>
>>3316472
You do realize you can connect your PC to a TV and connect any controller ever made, right?
>>
>>3306963
where I live there are no places to buy old systems at a fair price or in good working conditions, I'm not willng to spend money on importing games and consoles. CRT TVs? similar case as consoles, some people sell used ones on platforms similar to ebay, these are easier and cheaper to obtain than consoles though. Anyway, of course I will fucking emulate if I wanna play a game from the past.
>>
>>3316820
Move to a first world nation.

Seriously, we have cheap retro, public transit, food, low nig nog population and not everybody has aids (helped by the lower nig nog population)
>>
>>3307857
This
The main problem is finding your favorite game/console at good prices.
>>
File: 3BMLpji.jpg (15 KB, 493x363) Image search: [Google]
3BMLpji.jpg
15 KB, 493x363
>>3306963
It's really simple.

Hardware when it's available.

Emulation when it isn't, or when hacking.

Not gonna pay out the nose for something, except good sticks.
>>
>>3316834
k m8 I'll move to another country cos it's easier to acquire vidya :^)
>>
>>3307583
It's the Internet, everyone is such a tough guy behind a computer monitor. This is prevalent across the entire interwebs. You KNOW it's not just here.

also, Original Hardware, not a nazi about it.
>>
>>3307809
34/married/3 kids under 5: I use original hardware. I just have a small collection and a CRT... I would probably play more if I had save states...
>>
Collecting and playing on physical hardware is so much more rewarding and satisfying for me that I can't stand to emulate anymore. Logically emulation is the vastly superior choice due to high accuracy for PS1 and earlier, minimal price, huge customizability, etc., but the feeling you get from owning the real cartridge and playing on a real CRT is something that you have to put a price on for yourself. For me, personally, it's worth the cost.
>>
File: 1466314900563.jpg (77 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
1466314900563.jpg
77 KB, 800x522
I LIKE BOTH. Depends on the circumstance. I'd play a genesis with an everdrive any day over emulation. If I don't have access to one I'm not going to never play a genesis game you dummy.

It's weird, once you have everdrives for all your consoles you can really spot the differences like night and day. Not just emulators but the "collection" type releases. SONIC COLLECTIONS on gamecube for example. It's way to bright/saturated and the sound is way to excited (the treble/high end frequencies are really high!). I feel like with simple tweaks emulation can be the same output though. In this example EQing the high frequencies and lowering the color saturation would have worked.

Sometimes I like to microwave my food, other times I like to use the oven. It's a matter of taste an context.
>>
File: 20120110100600955.jpg (173 KB, 593x593) Image search: [Google]
20120110100600955.jpg
173 KB, 593x593
>>3306963
I didn't want to make a thread for this and push something off the board so I'll ask here since it's about emulation.
How can I get mednafen to recognize rumble on my controller? I have a dualshock 2 plugged in through one of those mayflash adapters and in the device settings I can test rumble just fine, but I can't find any option for it in mednafen. I even get rumble with it in PCSX2. I am using medgui reborn as my frontend in a subfolder if that helps.

To stay on topic I actually prefer original hardware a lot but I usually use emulation because I'm a cheap bastard with little money. I'm actually thinking of getting flashcarts for my old systems because current prices have gotten way too high for some games, especially N64 games.
>>
I recently got a RPi3 and Retropie all set up on it. I previously got the Everdrives for all the major consoles. I def prefer the real deal.
>>
>>3307857
I can zuck ya dick?
>>
>>3310034
You sure got him anon.
>>
I have been playing games since PONG.

I refuse to waste my time and money on ancient goddamn hardware that has to be fucked with to even run, hardware for display (either ancient goddamn flickering shit CRTs or converters for modern displays that don't suck), ancient cartridges that probably don't work and are overpriced as shit when they do, ancient controllers that probably don't work, and continue to keep all of this maintained to continue to work.

Vs

$ mednafen mario3.nes

There's no difference. Fucking none. Get off your goddamn high horses, children. I played the fucking games WHEN THEY WERE OUT and was at least your age when many of them did. And I STILL prefer emulation.

And if I do, there is NO EXCUSE for you not to.
>>
>>3316842
>Not gonna pay out the nose for something, except good sticks.
explain.
>>
>>3310189
101%
Iz like division of zero? yes?
>>
>>3319437
how was vietnam, grandpa?
>>
Not trying to brag but I own both of the most god tier CRT's ever concocted(hint, they're widescreen and HD). For PC it's teh FW900 and my TV is the 34XBR960. The PC monitor is 1440P and the TV is 1080i/720P. They combine to weigh over 300lbs! Just like my GF! No joke tho, these mfers are god tier for retro games and honestly god tier for newer games as well.
>>
>>3319474
is this new pasta?
>>
>>3319437
>I'm old so everyone is wrong!

No one cares, man. If anyone's on a fucking high horse it's emufags.
>>3319474
Weak fucking bait. Everyone knows HD CRTs are as bad as LCDs for input lag.
>>
>>3319437
oh look it's this troll again.jpg
>>
>>3319476
Input lag doesn't exist. Take your meds Sheldon
>>
>>3319505
0/10 for bait, -10/10 for what I presume is a Big Bang Theory reference? Really? Are you my Mom?
>>
>>3316598
Yes and my consoles are already connected to the TV and don't struggle to play N64 games.
>>
File: P10706810.jpg (533 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
P10706810.jpg
533 KB, 2000x1500
>>3319489
I actually wonder if age has something to do with it. That guy is acting like a twat about it, but as someone else in their 40's I can honestly barely tell the difference between something emulated and the rare times I still use original hardware.

Yet here there are frequently people complaining that input lag makes playing almost anything emulated feel like garbage. To give the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's youthful reflexes or something like that. Though I have no trouble playing fighters emulated and you would think that's where problems would really rear their heads.

So a question to the input lag proponents, if it's really that bad why does pretty well anyone who plays classic fighters like Super Turbo, Third Strike, KoF etc emulate and apparently not have issues. Considering how anal the fgc is about frame counting I would think they'd have a fit over noticeable input lag.
>>
>>3320206
People who play fighters do throw a fit about input lag, literally all the time, what are you even talking about?

If you don't believe in it, use a tool to measure it. Everyone perceives it differently, some people compensate for it without realizing it, and some people are acutely aware of it. I'm pretty happy with up to 3.5 frames of input lag based on my tests, but I start to really notice it above that.
>>
>>3320218
Maybe I play with the wrong people. I will hear people complain about a shitty net connection causing lag, but not straight up input lag.

Anyways my point wasn't that it doesn't exist in any way, just that some people seem to notice and some don't. And maybe aging reflexes have a part to play in that.
>>
>>3308952
>I don't have anything against emulation. I prefer real hardware. Although these days I think the best solution is real hardware and a flash cart. The convenience of piracy and the warm and tingly feeling of a real controller and a CRT.
>>3308967
>>3308952

I beat Mega Man 1 back in the day on Nesticle while playing the game with keyboard
>>
>>3320236
The scariest Alpha 3 player I ever saw exclusively used a keyboard. I think it's just what you learn on.
>>
>>3306963
Hardware if I have a CRT available
If not I might as well play on an emulator
>>
as long as its not dropping frames and lagging I don't care, i'm not diagnosed with OCD. (ie 'autistic' )
>>
>>3306963
All NES emulators suck, OP. All of them have bugs, or lack important bugs that the actual hardware has
>>
Of course if I had all the best hookups + either a PVM or Framemeister I'd go with original hardware any day
Unfortuanetly dont got a ton of money to blow now though Im eventually planning on getting a framemeister at least. Plus I'd want to get all the cartridges because I've already had enough bad experiences with flashcarts. Its a lot of money and waiting around for that ebay order to get here
For most games though emulators are just as good if not better, and theyre way more convenient. For now I'm more than satisfied with it but I'm jelly of anyone who gets to play on the best equipment/hardware

Also, would go with emulation over original hardware any day if I had to settle for composite or blurry video anyway.
>>
File: HeresYourControllerBackBro.jpg (98 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HeresYourControllerBackBro.jpg
98 KB, 800x600
>>3319441
>>
>>3322427
that's not the original thumbstick
>>
If I could have a SNES, NES, N64, Atari, etc., I totally would.
But I don't have the space or the money.
So emulation helps with that. Been playing FFI for a while now on my phone and it's super convenient for traveling and when I have some down time.
>>
>>3307045
Greatest benefit to me is the speed boost honestly
>>
>>3307614
Smug Shota Snekboi
>>
>>3309174
Am I missing something, I can't seem to find the Famicom ED on there, or is it just a replenishing stock there?
>>
>>3307576
Actually there's a shit ton in between because raw pixels are effectively a 'shitty filter'. Raw pixels is the retarded twelve year old hipster version of HQ4X.
>>
>>3324280
Hot opinion kiddo
>>
>>3324286
Sweet bait bro
>>
>>3324286
>>3324287
I dream of the day /vr/ may finally move past 90% of the posts being "your opinion is shit because it's not my opinion"
>>
>>3324293
>I dream of the day /vr/ may finally move past 90% of the posts being "your opinion is shit because it's not my opinion"

It's more than that, Anon-kun. Half the idiots on this board think their opinions are gold, the other half consists of developers shilling or viraling their own products / software and relentlessly attacking anyone who calls them out.

It's by no means limited to /vr/ either.

Remember to sage any thread containing the term "emulation"
>>
>>3324304
>the other half consists of developers shilling or viraling their own products

Half? You're crazy. Point to some clear cases of that. Anyone trying to actually market on 4chan is wasting their time.

>Remember to sage any thread containing the term "emulation"
Just lol to this
>>
>>3324208
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-8bit-game-card/1907668_32456547885.html

I bought mine from that seller, and plan on getting SFC and MD EverDrives from there too.
>>
>>3325439
Thanks
Now I'm kind of peeved though that I didn't see this 72 to 60 pin here a month ago and had to make my own shell with one seeing as this is a 72 feet to 60 feet NES turn FC
>>
>>3324320
>Anyone trying to actually market on 4chan is wasting their time.
No, they actually aren't. Especially since herr hirostein came into power.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.