[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can /vr/ tell me about this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
What can /vr/ tell me about this?
>>
Its a game. You do stuff in it.
>>
it was my favourite game as a kid.
>>
Comfiest game.

My only gripe is having to remember a lot of stuff, or to keep notes, because of how quickly the focus changes. An ability to keep notes in-game would be nice (i.e. "waiting for a blacksmith in this colony", "these Indians currently trade in tobacco, rum and coats" etc.) I wonder if FreeCol addresses this already, or if it's possible to mod this in.
>>
The game has a map to traverse
>>
it is great, but it is ridiculous that it doesnt have the portuguese
>>
>>3306413
Thia looks like master of magic
>>
>>3306413
>>3306737
>Comfiest game.

Yep, great game, very comfy. I play it over and over again.

It does help to keep notes on each colony, especially to keep trade routes sorted.

>>3306916
A sad oversight. I'd like to see the Swedes and Russians in there too, but they were minor players compared to Portugal.
>>
>>3306413
It's a fine game : similar to Civ but more micro-heavy with colonists and resources.

I love playing as French and being friendly with the natives. Trading, arming them to help them defend against the other countries then doing joint attacks to conquer colonies.

>>3306971
It seems possible to play as them by modifying some files.
http://www.colonization.biz/text.htm
>>
>>3307217
you don't need to load everything at once
>>
>>3307204
so real!
>>
>>3307304
>Except Colonization does have to fit all the data for each colonial power plus all the Indians into memory at once
why?
>>
>>3307313
>Maybe they also had a time limit to get the game out to release
likely, and not enough time/money for assets is more likely than the memory dance
>>
>>3307347
compared to RAM, several orders of magnitude
>>
>>3307398
Colonization is not about the US
>>
>>3307371
>You want to pretend slavery didn't exist
no. That's not what the game is doing
>>
>>3307414
Americans tend to not give much of a damn about what happens outside of their country. Likewise, the rest of the world doesn't have a need to revolve their world view around the US, much to their dismay. Two good reasons for them to whine all day long.

Regardless, Colonization is not a historical simulation. It's taking plenty of inspiration, but that's it. Complaining about its "accuracy" is not useful.
>>
>>3307626
you make a perfect case for why they made religions neutral
>>
>>3307613
Maybe Germany should cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it. It was 60 years ago and they still wont stop with the guilt.
>>
Is there any way to skip the 'new game' intro?

It takes a fuckload of time, even with DosBox set to turbo cycles
>>
Great game, fantastic music, Dutch are OP as hell. If you aren't rolling in gold and have the price of EVERYTHING pushed down to the bottom by about 1700, you aren't trying. And if you don't have an army of dragoons and frigates large enough to wipe out the Royal invasion forces within two turns, you aren't trying. It's a fun game, but very easily broken by knowing which congress members to go for, and how to maximize your effectiveness.

Get the guy who makes it so all treasure rumors come out good, then send out as many scouts as you can to harvest them all. If you are playing on a decently large map you should be able to pull 3-4 fountains of youth, which gives you all the manpower you could possibly want. That doesn't even count the gold wagons.

Get the guy who makes your privateers more effective, then pump them out and send them to keep all other countries on lockdown. Do it early enough, and you will completely cripple them for the rest of the game.

Criminals and servants are worthless, and should be thrown away. Indian converts are good for farming, but inferior to expert farmers. Just send scouts to find villages that train expert farmers and send your people to them.

In case you haven't noticed, the key to an easy game is getting horses early, and farming the hell out of them. Scouts are essential early-game for getting the treasure and finding tribes that train useful professions, then later on you can transfer their horses to the veteran solders or just give them guns. If you don't have at least 8 scouts in the field searching for stuff when the game shifts to two turns per year, you have failed.

The higher the independence, the more efficient your people are, but the quicker your taxes rise. Until you are moving towards independence, don't bother unless you are pushing to get a member of congress. Just make another town to compensate for the lack of supply/productivity. Then once prepared, hire elder statesmen and start the conversion.
>>
>>3307707
After the 4th or 5th line, you can click the mouse or hit ESC and it usually lets me skip. I've had it let me skip sooner than that, but it doesn't seem consistent.
>>
>>3307601
Don't forget about Genghis Khan or even Mao Zedong, either.

Ruthless conquerors and dictators are fine as long as they're not Nazis.
>>
>>3307626
>Reduced science rate.
You're a funny guy, I like that.
>>
>>3307601

Hitler isn't remembered as fondly by Germans as Stalin can be by Russians, for one thing.

Also because Frederick the Great and Bismarck did a whole lot more for Germany than Hitler ever did.
>>
>>3307758
Genghis Khan is the only great Mongol leader really, and his acheivment was perfect for Civ.

I don't know about Mao though, later games were right in starting to use other people like Qin Shi Huang and Wu Zeitan instead.
>>
>>3307968
No. I also didn't know that the setting of Civ4 starts in 1901.
>>
>>3307968
Muslims essentially invented (or at least properly named) Algebra. That's a pretty big scientific achievement, as much as I loathe that. Try thinking of Islam outside of the context of the last century.
>>
>>3307968
I think he was referring to historically, like how they helped pioneer surgery. Even then, I really don't think the Nobel Prize is a good barometer of anything anymore. Both Al Gore and Barack Obama got them, and neither really did anything to earn them. Hell, fucking Roosevelt got the Peace Prize and he played a large role in the Philippine's War.
>>
>>3307979
they haven't done anything of note since they got MONGOLED though
>>
>>3307984
>I really don't think the Nobel Prize is a good barometer of anything anymore
>anymore
Heavily dependent on politics like every other award in history.
>>
>>3307989
Yeah, and it took Europe a few centuries to bounce back after they got GERMANIC'D back in the fifth century.

>>3307985
>he thinks muslims worship mohammed

also Hitler had a lot of good things to say about Islam, since you seem to want him in Civ so bad.
>>
I'm one of the guys arguing against him (them) but deleting those comments (except the "spot the shitskin" one because that one was ad hominem shitposting that brought nothing to the discussion) wasn't really necessary in my opinion. I think people here should be able to handle posts like that.
If it was about getting off topic, both sides should get deleted, as it is now it's pretty obvious which side the staff is on and the other voice got completely silenced.
Don't know how moderated /vr/ is in general, just giving my two cents.
>>
>>3307962
Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned Genghis Khan. He really is one of the greatest conqueror mankind has ever known and well, people were rougher in medieval times.

Agreed about Qin Shi Huang. While he may be less known than Mao to the general public, he makes a better job at representing China.
>>
>>3309020
I know that; the other day there was a /co/ thread that somehow turned into an argument about gay rights/marriage whatever and all the pro-LGBT posts were left intact while the anti ones got deleted.
>>
File: Civilizationboxart.jpg (16 KB, 262x294) Image search: [Google]
Civilizationboxart.jpg
16 KB, 262x294
What's the ultimate strategy for Civ1, /vr/?
>>
>>3306938
thats what i thought too
>>
>>3309651
I am an old enough faggot to remember being a kid, playing Civ 1, and giving the cities names like "Linda Evangelista, Cindy Craword"

Havent played it in over 2 decades, it was completely outclassed by Civ 2, which still remains an excellent game.
>>
>>3306413
It is sid meyers colonization its a great game especially when you can mow down native tribes as either the spanish the british or the dutch.
>>
>>3314013
I don't like the isometric perspective and messier graphics of Civ2
>>
>>3309651
Spam cities very close to each other without any infrastructure because you don't pay maintenance for cities and settlers and they'll be productive with each other.

And then just kill everyone with Chariots or get Pyramids and Democracy for mad eco.
>>
>>3316845
>don't pay maintenance for settlers
Settlers cost at least a food each
>>
It's generally not recommended to build colonies inland as you'll need wagons to transport things.
>>
Why are there so many deleted posts in here?
>>
>>3318475
http://archived.moe/vr/thread/3306413

A whole bunch of the deleted posts weren't even off topic.
>>
>>3318482
You seem to imply that moderation on this site has any logic or sense behind it.
>>
http://archived.moe/vr/thread/3307354

The thread started to go off the rails here. There was no need to delete any of the posts before that.
>>
>>3317064
Yeah I meant that you shouldn't use settlers for improvement until after you've expanded heavily. Just spam cities.
>>
>>3318462
You might want wagons anyway to trick the king into not embargoing a precious resource that you don't want to Tea Party yet and want to keep your taxes at 0%. Like hiding silver in a wagon is good.
>>
The four colonial powers have different strengths/weaknesses, Spain being best for war and expansion and the Netherlands best for economic supremacy.
>>
I got it from a thrift store in the early 2000s and played it on my old Pentium box with Windows 98SE. The installation floppies fucked themselves though (I hate 1.44MB floppies with all my heart)
>>
>yfw someone actually traded with the Indians instead of wiping them off the map near me
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.