[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was such a mainstream game so difficult? Did any kids actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: tr3.jpg (202 KB, 469x471) Image search: [Google]
tr3.jpg
202 KB, 469x471
How was such a mainstream game so difficult? Did any kids actually beat this?

From what I understand the pc version has an easier save system.
>>
>>3305178

I imagine a combination of sex appeal and brand loyalty probably accounted for the game's sales.

Didn't the PS1 port also fuck up the lighting, a lot? I remember having to use flares every few steps into the game, and ending up stranded with an insufficient supply of them.

Either way, I need to finish this game. I'm still somewhere in the first block of stages.
>>
>>3305178
>From what I understand the pc version has an easier save system.
Yes, thank FUCK for that, still took me +20 hours some years ago.
Had TR3 as a kid on the PS1 and it took me literally months to beat the second stage.
>>
File: 3544366.png (1 MB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
3544366.png
1 MB, 1000x1500
>>3305215

I'm playing the PS1 version (on 2nd level) and had to turn my brightness up, yeah.

I'm all for using darkness as a game mechanic. It's great. But make it unlimited flares. And you have to go into the menu to use it. Not shortcut button like TR2. ALSO it doesn't show you what you pick up when you pick up an item.

I mean fuck this is some decent challenge.
>>
>>3305178
We didn't used to buy 10 games on steam sale and not play them. We'd get one or two games for our birthday or christmas and that was it for the year. So we'd end up playing games like Tomb Raider over and over for a year. Its got a save system.
>>
>>3305178
no I literally just fucked around the mansion the whole time because the levels were dark and scary
>>
>>3305334
This is very true we had nothing else to play and we didn't have anything other to compare it to really.
>>
>>3305334
This, thats how i got through shadow man, nightmare creatures 1 and 2 , syphon filter 2 , and every grinding jrpg (not that im complaining).
>>
Is OP specifically talking about TR3, or all the old TR's? Is he talking about navigating the levels or combat (or both)?

I played 1 and 2 on PC, so yeah I abused the save system. TR1 I beat without any guides, but TR2 I got impatient and relied on them quite a bit.

I like how 1 is all crypts/tombs/caves and the enemies are mostly animals and creatures. The occasional gunfight/cutscene was cool because it gave you the feeling you were competing with the villains all along. Also the twist at the end was cool.

And then 2 was mostly man-made locations and most of the enemies you fought were grunts with guns. You don't get as much story, either, so it just feels like the story is "and then Lara entered the next level! and then the next!" The final boss was pretty straightforward too, unlike the previous game. I will say that a lot of the environments were creative, the hidden area in the first level was 2spooky, and the epilogue was a cool idea. Also I liked the yeti.

So how does TR3 compared with 1 and 2?
>>
>>3305178
A magazine I had (Next Generation, maybe?) had hand-drawn maps for all the levels. So basically I cheated.

>>3305334
Otherwise, what this guy said: persistence, and the fact that most interested players were already comfortable with the series and its mechanics.

>>3305215
Colored lighting and indistinct textures make the game look like a hazy mess a lot of the time. They also tried to hide the grid-based engine with triangular polygons that make the world harder to read in a lot of cases.
>>
>>3305675

The PS1 port of TR2 is mostly identical to the PC port. The only difference I can recall is that the menu background isn't animated in the PC version.

>You don't get as much story

TR2 has a more fleshed out story than TR1. More cutscenes and cinematics between stages.

>And then 2 was mostly man-made locations

It was actually more like half and half. You explore a number of tombs and cavernous areas. There's the first China level, then some caverns in the underwater block, then most of the Tibet block consisting of caverns and ancient temples, and finally the longest section of all, the Floating Continent and the Temple of Xian.
>>
Are the tomb raider games worth a playthrough or did they all age like milk?
>>
>>3305812
>TR2 has a more fleshed out story than TR1.
What? I thought it was mostly "go here, get this."
I mean so was quite a bit of TR1, but I felt like there was more to it.
>>
>>3305986
>I thought it was mostly "go here, get this."

I'm really not sure what you mean by this. TR is an action-adventure series, so the entire framework of the series involves finding key items and solving puzzles, and killing whatever gets in your way. The only game I can think of that may take adventure elements to considerable extremes is Angel of Darkness, although Last Revelation and Chronicles certainly invoke some of the more annoying adventure-genre tropes.

As for the story, TR2 had a greater volume of cutscenes, dialogs and FMVs, if only because the game featured a bigger level count. I think the plots between TR1 and 2 are probably similar in depth and composition. I mean, both of the villains ultimately want to bend the world to their respective wills. Natla just happens to be a more powerful entity than Marco Bartoli, so maybe TR1's plot only seems more grandiose as a result.
>>
>ESA takedown on warezboards
>>
>>3305929

The first one is absolutely worth a playthrough. At least beat the first four levels. Do the tutorial first so you understand how movement works on its grid-based system.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.