[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ZX Spectrum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: .png (7 KB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
.png
7 KB, 640x344
What are some good ZX Spectrum games that are still worth playing today?

I never really tried the system and whenever I talk to anybody about it, they always reference ports of games that we are undoubtedly better off playing in other systems.

So I'm wondering what exclusives are actually worth looking into today.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Play_the_Game
>>
File: spectral-interlude.png (16 KB, 536x408) Image search: [Google]
spectral-interlude.png
16 KB, 536x408
>>3304175
The greatest Castlevania game of all time is exclusive to the Speccy.
>>
>>3304175
>So I'm wondering what exclusives
No such thing. All games came out for the Spectrum, Amstrad and C64 at the same time, and the ZX version was only the one to go when the rest of them were direct ports of it.
>>
>>3304183
looks good
>>
>>3304175
manic miner
Vampire
phantasm
>>
File: 1388855891016.jpg (336 KB, 960x1080) Image search: [Google]
1388855891016.jpg
336 KB, 960x1080
Here is my list:

Academy
Alien (there are several "alien" games for ZX but you are looking for the top-down strategy one, based on the movie)
Ant Attack
Astro Marine Corps (spanish only but still enjoyable)
Atic Atac
Avalon
Back to Skool
Cobra
Contact Sam Cruise
Dan Dare (all the 3 games)
Dark Side
Doomdark's Revenge
Driller
Dun Darach
Elite
Equinox
Fairlight
Guild of Thieves
Halls of the Things
Hammerfist
Head Over Heels
Heavy on the Magick
Hero Quest
Highway encounter
Iron Lord
Kayleth
Lancelot
Laser Squad
Last ninja 2
Lords of Chaos
Lords of Time
Lotus Espirit Turbo
Marsport
Mercenary
Mercenary - Escape from Targ
Mikie
Minder
Myth - History in the making
Nebulus
Nether Earth
Quazatron
Ranarama
Red Moon
Rex
Runestone
Saboteur
Scuba Dive
Shadowfire
Sim City
Skool Daze
Slaine
Space Crusade
Spindizzy
Star Wars
Stop The Express
Stormlord
Switch Blade
Thanatos
The Dungeon Master
The Great Escape
The Hobbit
The Lords of Midnight
Rebelstar 1 and 2
The Worm in Paradise
Tir na Nog
Trashman
Turbo Espirit
Underwurlde
Valhalla
War in the Middle Earth
Where time stood still
Wild Bunch
Zoids

Have Fun.
>>
>>3304648
Just for correction:
Both mercenary games are the same.
Also forgot to put Valkyrie 17.
>>
Dizzy series is a very good starting point since the games were developed around the Speccy first and got only some very shoddy ports on other systems.
>>
mario
>>
Best 8-bit microcomputer, prove me wrong.
>>
>>3304648
upvoted
>>
Never played a speccy but as a C64 owner, i was often a little bit jealous of the sprites it could do.
Shame they were always the same colour as tje backgrounds.
Speccy music is good too.
>>
Rodland is probably the only arcade game without a bad port. Midnight resistance is also very neat.
>>
Jet pack
Ship of the line
Death chase
>>
Is it true that Eurofags would use two hands for movement, their left hand for up/down and right hand for left/right?
>>
>>3306867
What are joysticks
>>
>>3306572
Thanks mate.
>>
Played Rare replay recently and the ZX games i liked was Jetpac, Atic atac, Knight lore and Gunfight
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowakhVFWp4

DARK STAR YOU CUNTS!
>>
>>3307259
HOW CAN eILITE ON NES WORK BUT NOT DARK STAR?
>>
>>3304175
Atic Atac
Batman (isometric)
Chuckie Egg
Cyclone
Great Escape
Head Over Heels
Highway Encounter
Laser Squad
Lords Of Midnight
Micronaut One
Rex
Skool Daze
Starquake
Trap Door
Turbo Esprit
Where Time Stood Still

Scroll?

>>
>>3307531
3D Deathchase
3D Starstrike
Academy
Cobra
Dan Dare
Exolon
Fairlight
Feud
Firelord
Jet Pac
Movie
Ranarama
Zynaps
>>
>>3304708
Dr Mario is actually really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX3YtXeNU0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4oZcnJbnV8
>>
File: atari800.jpg (1 MB, 971x1362) Image search: [Google]
atari800.jpg
1 MB, 971x1362
>>3304175
>Spectrum
>good

UK poorfag with no taste detected. How's that PC beeper sound, two colors per 8x8 tile and hilariously unreliable cassette storage doing for you.
>>
>>3304183

I'm no Castlevania expert, but isn't that logo of Castlevania the one from the 3D games on PS2? I'm pretty sure the Castlevania logo back in the 80s was different.
>>
It's incredible that at this point, EU vs US computer wars are worse than sega vs nintendo vs sony wars.

Way to go /vr/
>>
>>3308275
>EU vs US computer wars
Don't forget the JP computer elitists who unironically think the Sharp X68K was a good computer.
>>
>>3308301

Wait, it wasn't?
>>
>>3308273
It's a recent homebrew, but a very good recent homebrew.
>>
File: ultimate.jpg (12 KB, 267x73) Image search: [Google]
ultimate.jpg
12 KB, 267x73
Best game by pic related for the Speccy?
>>
>>3304648
Op wanted exclusives
>>
File: WormInParadiseThe.gif (5 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
WormInParadiseThe.gif
5 KB, 256x192
>>3304184
I think there are some, but not many. Anyway, a better question might be: what games are interesting/impressive on the Spectrum?
IMO, the earlier Level 9 adventure games (Snowball, etc.) are nicer, because I like the way they did the graphics on this platform. The colors are richer than C64, but still simpler and more abstract than Amiga, which I think fits those games better.
>>
>>3306867
>>3306992
Ok, I had an Amstrad CPC instead of Spectrum, but I often used the keyboard instead of joystick. The exact keys varied by game, but stuff like QA for up/down and OP for left/right was typical.
Some games even let you redefine the keys, in which case you could easily use stuff like IJKL and space (that was my favorite setting for Ghosts 'n Goblins).
And multiplayer games like Gauntlet and Barbarian confined the keys to one side of the keyboard for each player (unlike that QAOP business).
>>
File: spectrum-next.jpg (398 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
spectrum-next.jpg
398 KB, 2560x1920
Opinions on the Spectrum Next?
>>
>>3311167
mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh none
>>
>>3304175
>good ZX Spectrum games that are still worth playing today?
There are none. I grew up with the Speccy so I had some nostalgia for it, but several years ago I spent a long time going through pretty much the entire library and it was 100% shit.
>>
>>3314198
Don't talk SHIT about Manic Miner.
>>
>>3314202
Slow paced, shit controls, feels more like a boring puzzle game than a platformer.
>>
>>3314198

>>3313942
Ok, if you could please explain that to the resident anti-Nintendo troll here.
>>
>>3314198
Indeed they did suck. Most of those games had terrible controls, terrible design, ridiculous difficulty, and often had no real ending--when you got past a certain point, they'd just glitch or freeze up.
>>
>>3314207
>explaining opinions
Are you deranged?
>>
>>3314207
Dude, it's a troll. By simple definition they're impervious to all reason.
>>
http://samsmods.blogspot.com/2013/11/zx-spectrum-48k-lower-16k-ram-repair.html

And now you can replace the unreliable 4116 RAM in your Speccy with modern SRAM that's far more reliable, runs cooler, and uses less power.
>>
>>3314230
This mod should in theory work on an Apple II+, TRS-80, or anything else with 4116 RAM. Surprised no one's thought to try it yet.
>>
>>3314240
There's not as much of a retro community for those machines but it could probably be done easily.

The nice thing about the Speccy versus the C64 is that it has no proprietary components, just TTL hardware that is still made or easily obtainable. Z80 CPUs are still manufactured and you can now replace the old rubbish 4116 DRAM with modern SRAM.
>>
>>3314265
Or the Apple II and TRS-80.
>>
>>3314292
The later Apple IIs very much do have proprietary ICs also they don't use 4116 RAM so that mod won't work there.
>>
>>3314303
They have 4164s? I'm sure it's laughably simple to replace those with SRAM as well.
>>
>>3314310
While true, the 4116s are not that reliable and get hot due to triple voltage. They also use a lot of power; the SRAM mod for the Speccy puts less strain on your power supply.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.