[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most games are hard to beat without using continues. But can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 4xq2ir7.jpg (47 KB, 408x575) Image search: [Google]
4xq2ir7.jpg
47 KB, 408x575
Most games are hard to beat without using continues.

But can you think of any games that are harder to beat by using continues?
>>
gradius
>>
>>3304072
Armed Police Batrider.

The more credits you put into the machine, the higher the rank system is raised and makes the game impossible.
>>
>>3304086

This includes other Raizing games like Battle Bakraid & Battle Garegga.

The rank stays up even if you game over and start over; you have to let the attract mode loop many times or reset the whole cab to bring it back down to default.
>>
Most games with a power up/upgrade system.
>>
>playing super mario 3
>use a continue
>lose all your items
>get to level 8-1
>not the tank level. level 8-1
>don't have a Cloud or P-Wing

I have NEVER beaten 8-1 fairly. I have beat the game repeatedly, but I have to have an item to "cheat" through 8-1

https://youtu.be/SR-wjhIBagQ

hmm. that doesn't really look that hard. keep in mind I was 14 when I finally got to this point in the game. this was simply impossible when I was that age.
>>
>>3304086
>>3305979
No checkpoints though, so you will still beat it by credit feeding.
Meanwhile recovering in the last stages of games with checkpoints like R-Type or Toaplan Shooters is fucking impossible.
>>
>>3306682
checkpoints are artificial difficulty which were removed from shmups for a reason
>>
>>3306693
Nah checkpoints are alright as long as they are fair. The checkpoints in some Psikyo games are pretty cool, in the last levels you are sent to the beginning to the stage only if you credit-feed, assuring you at least need some skills to clear the game.
>>
File: 1465613413535.jpg (11 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1465613413535.jpg
11 KB, 295x378
>>3306634
Yeah 8-1 is bullshit, I've never beaten that level without p-wing cheesing it.
>>
>>3304072
>>3304079
Gradius doesn't have continues, unless you count the shitty world versions.
>>
mario
>>
>>3304079
this, dying anywhere past the 2nd level is death
>>
>>3306693
Checkpoints aren't artificial difficulty, they're straight game design.

Having a single shot button is artificial difficulty.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.