[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
motion sickness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: 0000002416.600x338.jpg (44 KB, 541x338) Image search: [Google]
0000002416.600x338.jpg
44 KB, 541x338
ever experienced motion sickness in retro games???
>>
Maybe once when playing NiGHTS.
>I was also very drunk though, so maybe it was that.
>>
went to jail for 4 years and when I came out played 007 immediately but hurled after running around
>>
Occassionally with fps games with a hard coded low FOV below 90. More eye strain than nausea tho
>>
>>3304053
>went to jail for 4 years

What did you do and what country
>>
>>3304053
Playing Doom-engine games makes me nauseous after ~30 minutes. It's worse if I'm watching someone else play, and even more worse if they're playing with mouse and always run. Build-engine games tend to have the same effect, but milder. Wolfenstein and Quake are fine.
>>
>>3304053
In retro no but I have in modern games that use chromatic aberration.
It makes me physically ill if I look at the game for more than 15 minutes.
>>
>>3304053
I can't play the original Half Life for more than 30 mins. I don't seem to have this problem with any other FPS,
>>
usually just wolf3d, probably a mix of the low res and lack of y-axis movment, just messes with my eyes
>>
File: latest[1].png (45 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
45 KB, 360x270
This irritating bugger and his spinning background. Thankfully it didn't take long for me to come up with a quick kill technique to prevent any further nausea.

Also as a few above mentioned already, can't play FPS games for too long getting dizzy.
>>
>>3304053
Wolf3d is one of the only games that's given me motion sickness. I think it was how smoothly/unnaturally your movement was.
>>
>>3304068
Great Story grandpa
>>
My sister used to get headaches after about 5 minutes of SNES Mario Cart. I think maybe she just didn't want to play with me.
>>
>>3304053

Wolf3D always gives me motion sickness, unless I slow down my pc so that the game is less smooth.

Doom never gave me motion sickness, must be bobbing related or something.
>>
Not motion sickness, but the Jumping Flash series has given me vertigo before.
>>
>>3304378
>bobbing related

It is. Wolf3d is the only FPS game that ever made me feel ill.
>>
Only in Ristar and Vectorman. Never had a problem with anything else. Did Sega do something different for their games?
>>
>>3304378
>>3304809
Same but I get it with Doom as well, I don't get it with Quake.

Luckily I can turn off bobbing in all of them though.
>>
>>3304053
the new-old Wolfenstein right before the iD reboot.

Batman games
Shadow of Mordor
some others but i cant think of it, definitely that new-old Wolfenstein game that came out years ago, thinking about it makes me queasy. No idea why.
>>
>>3304152
ever watched Portal? That did me in within 20 minutes.
Also, one of my most memorable experiences in gaming was playing Doom for 2 hours straight, puking up lunch, then playing some more. Fucking great game, motion sickness be damned
>>
>>3304848
Never played Ristar for long, but Vectorman is straight up epileptic. It has the screen flashing every time something explodes, which happens on average every 1.2 seconds. It's the only time ever in a videogame, where after beating the game, my eyes felt like they were barbacued.
>>
File: alienvspredator2a.jpg (304 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
alienvspredator2a.jpg
304 KB, 1024x768
My first 3D shooter, I was late to the party when it came to PC gaming. But I remember playing the Predator campaign and needing to stop a few times because I felt sick.
>>
>>3304926
I remember that playing as an Alien was fucked up in that game, since you could walk up walls and defaulted to a 150 degree FOV.
>>
>>3304261
>i'm a young little entitled brat therefore i'm kool!@!!

Fuck off
>>
>>3304053
Nope. I honestly believe those that claim they do are saying it purely for the attention.
>>
>>3305083
yeah, I love the attention of being unable to play Doom, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., hell, even Rollcage. That attention is so much better than actually enjoying these games, definitely
>>
>>3304053
Only to the point where I had to pause the game and close my eyes for a moment or two to re-acclimate myself. Not sure if that qualifies as real motion sickness or what, but that's all I got.
>>
>>3304053
Only for Thief and Thief II on the PC.

I think it's the dark environment mixed with smooth motion.
>>
>>3305318
motion sickness ends up in the stomach, not the eyes. You feel physically ill, like you ate something wrong, and soon enough you'll see what you ate, and can decide if that was wrong or not
>>
A pair of times when I switched games.

Like I normally played Doom fine, but when tried Quake II or Half-Life I got motion sickness the first time, then the next day I played them fine. When I got back to Doom I got motion sickness again.
>>
>>3305328
kinda like a placebo effect then?
>>
Never experienced it in any video games, but many times in real life. I think people who say they get motion sickness are lying for sympathy or making it up to explain why they suck at games.
>>
>>3305523
It happens because of fast non linear incontinuos movement.
its well documented event so calling it bullshit only goes so far.
>>
>>3305542
I thought it had more to do with inconsistencies between the eyes and ears (as the inner ear is in charge of equilibrium, balance and orientation).

So when you are reading in the bus, your inner ear can sense movement but your eyes see a static picture.

In videogames it happens backwards, your eyes see fast movement, but your inner ear doesn't sense anything of it.
>>
>>3305625
That very well may be the definition for it but it doesn't change the fact that fast movement plus strange fov trigger such reactions.
What I wanted to say it exist there is no denying it.
>>
>>3304053
Was always fine with any FPS from Wolfenstein 3D to recent ones, but Ultima Underworld is the only 1st person view game who gave me motion sickness.
>>
>>3305083
>If I've never experienced something then no one has.

Interesting world view you have there.
>>
File: descent.jpg (112 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
descent.jpg
112 KB, 640x480
>>3304053
Descent with the cockpit HUD off.
With it on, no problem.
Happened all the time as a teenager, not anymore.
>>
Yes, while playing medal of honor and killzone 1 on ps2. I even played the games on purpose to get sick and miss school
>>
>>3304053
no, but i get headaches when i played on crts as a child. because of the noise, the scan lines and the radiation, it made me dizzy. now with hdtv i don't get dizzy anymore and can game longer without discomfort :)
>>
File: 1453922426936.png (301 KB, 508x390) Image search: [Google]
1453922426936.png
301 KB, 508x390
I tried starting up Gex: Enter the Gecko last night, but I had to stop about 10 minutes in because I felt like I was going to puke.

Are there any known methods to stop this? Makes me really sad.
>>
>>3305093
>unable to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Just turn down the headbob values to 0 in one of the config files (effectors.ltx). It works for all 3 games and it fixed the problem for me
>>
Guitar Hero
Everything moves after playing a song.
>>
>>3311393
0/10 homie
>>
>>3312691
i would say 10/10. exactly what i experiece
>>
>>3312601
dramamine, it's the only way I can play Wolfenstein 3D (I stopped playing wolf3D)
>>
>>3305523 >>3305083
I don't get motion sickness with old games but I do get them with new shooters, and it's very bad. It starts as feeling dizzy, disoriented and "out of it" and then turns into wanting to throw up. It only happens with first person games for me, not third person like >>3312601

It's definitely real and not bullshit or in your head any moreso than any other thing in the world. I think FOV causes it as a result of things not moving as your eyes would expect them to.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6Nh1QNh1I
and then imagine that for 15 minutes to an hour, but in the other direction with low FOV rather than high FOV.

I've heard that motion sickness may be caused by elements of evolution that didn't like when things moved and you didn't feel acceleration or other things that would align them with reality, which meant you should probably throw up right now because you probably ate something you shouldn't have and it's breaking your body.

What I'm wondering is how anyone can NOT have these problems. Then again, me arguing this is like arguing whether red is red or not to someone who has always seen the color red as blue. Until we can accurately read/analyze the mind, anyway.

I should try taking motion sickness meds and playing a game. Never bothered.

>>3312691
CRTs make an annoying noise. They also put off this weird static crap that might make you feel a bit dizzy if you're sitting really, really close to it. You shouldn't be sitting that close though. The scanline stuff is either nonsense or I was blind. The one complaint I would add is that CRTs felt a bit hot from a few feet away.
>>
There's no scanlines on a PC monitor. No interlacing, no scalines.

Games with interlacing, that is, no scanlines on a TV, are harder on the eyes. Pretty rare in /vr/ consoles, though.
>>
>>3304053
I get motion sickness with FPS especially those with low FOV and headbob. If I can't change those then the game is pretty much unplayable for me. I have a theory that playing with one eye covered could possibly remedy the problem but I haven't had time to test it out yet unfortunately
>>
hi toast
>>
I've apparently given onlookers motion sickness from watching me play Doom.
>>
>>3312823
watching is always worse than playing, because, similar to being in the passenger seat of a car, you're not in control of the motion, and can not anticipate it. It amplifies the motion sickness effects
>>
>>3304078
Robbery US
>>
>>3304053
No, I'm not a weak bundle of sticks like you.
>>
>>3312924
Another edgy denier of things that are true..
>>
All the time.

>play ten minutes of Doom
>migraines for the next two hours

Some days it's worse than others. I think maybe it's hormonal.
>>
>>3304053
Yeah, but really only in Doom or other FPS games of its vintage. I can't even watch youtube videos of people paying Doom for too long. The only way I've been able to avoid it is to turn the movebob way down in the console (something like 0.4 seems to do fine for me).
>>
>>3304053
Nah. If anything I get motion sickness in modern games.
>>
>>3304053
Sometimes in games with inconsistent or low frame rates.
>>
Growing up, I could handle games like Wolf3D, Doom, Quake, etc. But as I got older, I would start getting headaches playing games like Perfect Dark and Unreal Tournament. Can't play modern FPS at all without nausea so bad that I have a 50/50 chance of vomiting.
>>
>>3304075
Lmfao. Jesus this should be copy pasta
>>
>>3304053
Yes.
Wolf3D about 30m
DukeNukem3D about 1h
Blood about 45m
Absolutely worst is Shadow Warrior, cant stand even 5m. Something about sky, cityscape, buildings and sprites all moving at diferent paces makes my want to puke my guts all over the keyboard the moment I start playing.
>>
Fps makes me feel sick.
Its a shame, multiplayer is fun.
>>
Funny you should picture Wolfenstein 3D. When that first came out, I had a friend who couldn't play it because he'd get motion sickness. To be fair, the way they faked 3D in that game was pretty weird to the eye.
>>
>>3314140
>the way they faked 3D in that game was pretty weird to the eye
it's a correct perspective transform, just like in any other 3D game
>>
I get motion sickness most of the time when playing 1st or 3rd person games with auto-adjusting camera. Never got used to it. It's probably a genetics thing.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.