[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartridge Grading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: GRADING.jpg (161 KB, 850x600) Image search: [Google]
GRADING.jpg
161 KB, 850x600
What would /vr/ think of a unified grading system for retro games? Perhaps something like what coin collectors currently have.

I'm sick and tired of seeing shopkeepers trying to sell games with obvious defects for full price. This is just another facet of the growing price inflation problem that we see, and I think some kind of system could help curb that problem. Eventually, a unified system could be expanded to things like consoles and controllers.

Now the argument could be made that all that matters is the game itself, and while I would disagree with that as an absolute statement, the working condition of the cartridge should have a higher impact on the grading.

What kind of categories would you classify a cartridge with, and how would you go about scoring it objectively?

I think a decent start would be.

1. Sticker condition

Is the sticker faded? Is it scratched? Are their any signs of peeling? Are their signs of water damage? How much of it's gloss/luster does it retain? Is the manufacturers sticker in good condition?

2. Cartridge condition

Is the cartridge scratched or discolored? Are their any gouges or noticeable markings? Have the screws started any form of corrosion?

3. Working condition

Does the game work? Does it work on first boot every time? Are there known problems with it saving? Are the pins in good condition, and lacking any corrosion (erosion or chemical).

Yes, I understand that the collecting community already has a tendency to be elitist douchebags, and this might further that problem, but I'm getting sick and tired of games in shit condition being listed for full price.
>>
no
>>
Any grading system is bad for electronics unless it's made by actual enthusiasts and NOT collectors.

Otherwise cap replacements, battery replacements, and other preventive maintenance/repairs would downgrade a game.

Fuck anything like VGA.
>>
>>3303741
>Bluring seller name and ebay logo
Why?

And grading is fucked.
>>
>>3304275
I just google imaged it but yeah if I had screencapped it i wouldn't have blurred it.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.