[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /vr/. I'm currently playing all the Zeldas chronologically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
Hi, /vr/. I'm currently playing all the Zeldas chronologically and just finished A Link to the Past. Since I don't own a N64 and I'm a bit too poor to afford it, what would be my best bet for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: the Gamecube ports or the Virtual Console emulation?
>>
GC
>>
>>3303416
Don't emulate anything.
>>
>>3303416
Gameboy
>>
>>3303425
This was pretty unstable emulating.
>>
>>3303478

get a wii for like 30 bucks and enjoy its glorious 240p benefits
>>
>>3303478
And yet it has Master Quest, better GCN controls than VC, rumble that works unlike VC, updated button colors and text that reflects the system its on, slightly better video output, etc.

OoT v1.0 on N64 is the best version of the original game. OoT 3D is the best version overall.

Collector's Edition OoT and Wii U VC are the worst.
>>
>>3303416
You're not skipping Link's Awakening, are you?
>>
>>3303509
Nah, I'm doing the portable games (chronologically) after Skyward Sword.
>>
Last time I checked, the OoT / Master Quest collection for GC was around $30 USD. The quality of emulation isn't fantastic, but it works.

I didn't care for the Collector's Edition Zelda disc that had Zelda I, II and OoT on it though. I think the N64 emulation software used on that disc was even less stable.
>>
>>3303517
>I think the N64 emulation software used on that disc was even less stable.
Can confirm. Majora's Mask randomly freeze a couple times on Collector's Edition, which never happened to me on Wii VC. Never had a problem with OoT on CE though.
>>
Is N64 worth buying and can it be found for a decent price? I honestly don't mind emulating most things, like Genesis, NES, and other consoles work fine, but I probably should own the original hardware that doesn't emulate very well.

N64 is on my priority list.. I never owned one and have games on the Wii VC, but I'm sure its not the same.. Plus VC is extremely limited.
>>
>>3303529

N64 emulation is one of the worst, and many games on it aren't on VC.
Buy one before they start raising their prices like SNES are doing now.
>>
>>3303529

N64 hardware and games aren't expensive if you don't mind giving up your firstborn child. Otherwise you may want to stick with emulation.

Current emulators are all plugin-based trash with numerous compatibility issues, but the GC collection already mentioned in this thread works well enough. The only issue I noticed was some slight sound stutter when exiting through certain warps, but it otherwise feels similar to playing on the original hardware. There may be some other technical details I haven't noticed though. It's not like I've actually done a side-by-side comparison or anything.
>>
Ocarina of Time is worst on the Virtual Console because it has white lines at the seams,, no rumble, and has some jump detection issues.

Conversely, Majora's Mask is better on the Virtual Console, because the disk version has compromises. It was designed to run on an N64 without an Expansion Pak (if you insert it into an EverDrive64, it works).
>>
File: everdrive-64-v3.jpg (29 KB, 458x458) Image search: [Google]
everdrive-64-v3.jpg
29 KB, 458x458
>>3303537
I recently picked up a clean US n64 with lightly used original controller for about $60. Add to that a new s-video cable for $8, expansion pack for $20, rumble pack for $15 and everdrive v3 for $200.. So about $300 total for a decent setup on my existing PVM.
>>
>>3305991
>everdrive v3 for $200

Utterly ridiculous. I'll kindly stick with emulation.
>>
File: 123897238470.jpg (115 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
123897238470.jpg
115 KB, 720x960
>>3306002
>emulation
>>
>>3306002

Just buy a cheap Chinese cart for a fraction of that, then. It's all the same shit.

>I'll kindly stick with emulation.

Enjoy freezing, stuttering and unhandled exception errors mid-dungeon, bro.
>>
I'd go with Virtual Console ports.

The Gamecube collection has freezing issues, or at least the Majora's Mask port does.

really though I'd say go 3DS for OoT, and Wii for MM
>>
Hey I'm doing the same thing, I finished Zelda 1 on my NES, skipping Zelda 2 because I don't own it and I'm scared of it and I'm currently playing ALTTP. I'll be tackling Link's Awakening next.
>>
>>3306354
>or at least the Majora's Mask port does.
It's just Majora's Mask, which suffers from some audio glitches and occasional freezing. The Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, and Ocarina of Time all run fine on the Collector's Edition though.

Not counting Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D because those are re-masters and we're comparing all releases and ports of the original game.

The Wii U Virtual Console is an interesting case. It offers Miiverse support, so you can post in-game screenshots online and comment on them with other people. There is also off-TV play so you can play Ocarina of Time on the GamePad like a handheld. The rumble feature is also restored to the Wii U VC version of OoT. And finally, savestates. Although this is essentially cheating, I can see it being appealing for the more casual player base for clearing the game.

However, the emulation on the Wii U Virtual Console suffers from noticeably dark and pixelated image quality, along with a few frames of input lag.

This makes the Wii U Virtual Console the worst version of Ocarina of Time. The only redeeming factors are external features like Miiverse and save states. Wii VC version is far better with input lag and picture quality, but does not have rumble and suffers from a few graphical bugs. Can be played with a GameCube controller (BC-compatible Wiis only) or a Classic Controller Pro. Although apparently there is some default dead zone in the controls across all emulation of the Wii Virtual Console's library.

The Master Quest and Collector's Edition on the GameCube have the sharpest and clearest picture quality if you're using the GameCube component cables.. The GameCube controls are better and support rumble. The button colors and text on controls have been changed to reflect being on the GameCube. Also, the Master Quest disc is the only way to play the original and non-mirrored Master Quest in Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3303416
Emulation is the way to go man. Cheap and effective.
>>
>>3306442
Except we're talking N64 here. Even the VC's N64 emulator is crappy in some ways.
>>
>>3306446
Yeah that's true. Oh well
>>
>>3303513
>Nah, I'm doing the portable games (chronologically) after Skyward Sword.

You should really do LA after ALttP and before OoT. It actually had significant influence on it.
>>
I have a question: Since the first Zelda had some parts that are essentially undescipherable without a guide, what would you recommend for a person that is going to begin with it? A map?
>>
>>3307158
Gamefaqs if you get stuck.

Casual.
>>
>>3305991
Why would you buy the v3 if you're not using it for development etc.?
>>
>>3306495
>you should really do LA and then just stop there
ftfy
>>
>>3307158
>Since the first Zelda had some parts that are essentially undescipherable without a guide...

Not sure where you heard this, but the original LoZ really isn't that complex. The puzzles just involve locating which block to push, or which tree to burn, or which rock to bomb. I didn't need any guides the first time I played through it. The second quest is slightly confusing due to the introduction of new mechanics, but you should be able to figure it out on your own.
>>
>>3307158
>Since the first Zelda had some parts that are essentially undescipherable without a guide

Get a load of this faggot.
I beat that shit in a week without so much as an internet connection or the instruction manual. There's nothing in that game that can't be figured out with some critical thinking and listening to all the old people.

But if you must be a babby about it, use a map at the very least, since the original game came with a partially filled out map.
>>
>>3307792
Hey, it's what I've heard.
>>
>>3307837
From the worst kinds of casuals no doubt.
>>
>>3307158
Use the manual and its map

>>3303416
In case you haven't realized, it doesn't matter THAT much
>>
>>3306435
>that entire last paragraph
If you inject the GC game to play as a VC title do you still get the same benefits?
>>
>>3303416
not retro, but i thought the 3ds remakes were excellent. i liked the graphics upgrade and the way you can aim the bow/slingshot with the gyroscopic sensors. plus once you beat it, you unlock master quest (more difficult dungeons and enemies) and all the maps are reversed.
>>
>>3308016
Depends if the Master Quest disc emulator is injected along with the ROMs. If it is, then yes. If not, then you lose the rumble and specially tailored GameCube controls.

The Wii's component output is *slightly* worse than the GameCube, but the difference is essentially indistinguishable for nearly everyone.
>>
>>3306403
Pussy
>>
>>3308113
Honestly, Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D are in a league of their own. They are without a doubt the best versions of each game.

Updated and color visuals that more closely resemble the official artwork, more smooth and fluid animation, increased frame rate that is more stable, the option of gyroscopic aiming, quick access to items and swapping items on the fly using the intuitive touch screen, Iron Boots being relegated to an item slot, nearly all of the glitches were left in, extra content like Boss Rush for OoT 3D and two fishing holes with dozens of new fish in MM 3D, stereoscopic 3D, Miiverse, being on a handheld, etc.

The next best thing would be v1.0 of the original N64 gold cartridge of OoT, due to not being censored at all and having every glitch intact. Or the Master Quest disc.
>>
>>3303523
Happened all the time to me on wii vc, it also looks worse that the original n64 version
>>
>>3308410
Maybe the white seams and other graphical glitches? I see that in Paper Mario on Wii VC too.

The original Majora's Mask on the N64 was rendered in 640 x 480i using the Expansion Pak, while the Wii VC can render it in native 480p.
>>
>>3308249
>Honestly, Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D are in a league of their own.

Ew, no. They completely mucked up the character design, and now every character looks like they stumbled out of an '80s Disney film. It's creepy as shit.

Majora's Mask was also effectively casualized. One of the strongest points of that game was the challenge of merely completing it, but the 3DS version is a cakewalk by comparison.
>>
>>3306403
Zelda 2 is great you fool.
>>
>>3308574
>They completely mucked up the character design
No, they improved the in-game character designs. They now more closely resemble the official artwork.
>Majora's Mask was also effectively casualized. One of the strongest points of that game was the challenge of merely completing it, but the 3DS version is a cakewalk by comparison.
Majora's Mask was never hard.
>>
>>3308774
>Majora's Mask was never hard.
You'd be surprised at how many casuals gave up on MM before even getting to the first dungeon due to its gimmick.
>>
Might be a little off topic, but can anyone help an oldfag out?

There were links posted on /vr a few weeks ago for the Zelda collections by tlozilyv. Does anyone have these? I've searched all around 4chan but couldn't find them.
>>
>>3308249
OoT 3D is fine. MM 3D is not. They ruined the atmosphere of that game, which is half of what made it great in the first place. For example, the moon just looks pissed off in 3D, whereas in the original game it had a much more subtle/ambiguous expression between anger, sadness, and pain. Another thing is the hint system. I don't really care that it exists, whatever, but it ruins the feeling of a dying world when you enter the Clock Tower and there's this big-ass out-of-place statue telling you what to do.
>>
File: 250px-CollectorsEdition.jpg (43 KB, 250x355) Image search: [Google]
250px-CollectorsEdition.jpg
43 KB, 250x355
>>3303425
>mfw I picked up this shit for $20.
>>
File: birdy_01_595.png (1012 KB, 595x579) Image search: [Google]
birdy_01_595.png
1012 KB, 595x579
>>3308786
You have to know that a secret scarecrow man will teach you how to Za Warudo so you can triple the time before you Bites za Dusto.
>>
>>3309323
I have one of these. Is it supposed to be a big deal or something?
>>
File: MM3D_Jan142015_01.jpg (27 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
MM3D_Jan142015_01.jpg
27 KB, 400x240
>>3309320
Honestly, I think MM3D is fucking beautiful. The opening scene in the forest... mmph. All the vibrancy and color doesn't take away from the creepy factor to me. In fact, it heightens it. The moon is way different, but I kind of like the new look. It is aggressive; it makes me anxious.

Strangely there's something I don't like about OoT3D. Can't put my finger on it. But Majora's Mask comes alive.
>>
>>3309438
The color isn't the problem, I always thought that the N64 Zeldas could use sliiiightly more saturated colors in some areas anyway.

The problem with MM3D is that it feels like it was made by people who didn't understand the game, they tried to make it spooky on purpose so it feels sort of contrived. I mean maybe it has merits on its own, I didn't finish it because I was only interested in playing a remake of MM which is one of my favorite games. But as a remake I didn't feel like it captured the feel of the original.
>>
>>3309463
I don't know, it sounds like you're describing how Twilight Princess tried to be creepy and random at parts to cheaply get the same feel as MM did. Besides the moon, and perhaps Majora's boss room, the atmosphere just feels amplified, not altered.

But maybe that's just me. I honestly played OoT way more than MM back in the day.
>>
File: 187687547654.jpg (241 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
187687547654.jpg
241 KB, 1000x1500
>>3307187
>v3
>usb port
>>
just emulate them

they run on any toaster of a computer

>but n64 emulation sucks

the devs of those emulators were lazy fucks who only wanted a way to play Zelda & Mario titles, so they never bothered to get their emulators to work on other games properly

you can easily enjoy a proper playthrough emulation

and its FREE and takes less than a minute to get it up and running

Also just emulate the rest of the franchise.

Dolphin is the GOAT emulator and runs all the following Zeldas with virtually no issues in proper HD
>>
>>3309410
It's four Zelda Games in one, including the one that is widely considered the best. I see them being sold for pretty crazy amounts online.
>>
>>3310148

The quality of N64 emulation in that collection isn't that great though. The OoT / Master Quest disc was a little smoother. I mean, there are numerous other ways to play Zelda I and II, so you're not really missing out.

As for MM, it's virtually unplayable (on the GC) with Nintendo's in-house emulator. The game probably runs at half framerate, and you'll have to save, quit and reload every 30 or so minutes in to avoid lock-ups.
>>
File: Shrug.jpg (324 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Shrug.jpg
324 KB, 600x600
>>3310154
Eh, I didn't own any of those games at the time, and $20 seemed like a bargain for all four.
>>
>>3310101

Yeah im confused but previous comments, im not op but...

Have gamecube without component cables and gamecube copy of majora

Have wii with component cables which looks better

Have n64

Problem is majora on gamecube has frozen on me a few times

But last night i downloaded project 64 and majora rom, plugged in my xbox one controller in under 5 mins and it seems better graphically

I know n64 emu is not so good, but it seems better than playing on wii or gamecube
>>
>>3303416
I don't get the love many people have with the two N64 Zelda games. I never played them and first Zelda game I ever played was literally the first one back in the 1980's.
>>
>>3310190

Also any tips on emulating windwaker and tp on a dolphin emu? Do you need a decent pc or laptop? I think i have a fairly decent laptop from 3 years ago.

Ive never emulated gamecube games.
Question is, is it better to play wind waker and tp on gamecube or wii with copies i have already or is it better emulating?

I might take a look on youtube
>>
>>3310191
>I don't get the love many people have with the two N64 Zelda games.

well maybe that's because

>I never played them
>>
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are best on N64 for its controller.
Otherwise, play OOT on GameCube for the Stone of Agony to work.
Majora's Mask is probably most stable on Wii VC (I know it crashes a lot on the GameCube Collector's Addition)
>>
>>3306352
What cheap Chinese alternatives are there to the ever drive?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.