[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the worst arcade ports?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: Pac-Man_Atari_2600_Gameplay.gif (7 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Pac-Man_Atari_2600_Gameplay.gif
7 KB, 640x400
What are some of the worst arcade ports?
>>
>>3301371
Any Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, or any other britbong computer port from the 80s.
>>
File: runout.png (8 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
runout.png
8 KB, 1600x1200
hate to say it but ...
>>
File: double_dragon.png (3 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
double_dragon.png
3 KB, 640x400
To its credit unlike the NES version it has two player co-op.
But you both are locked onto a single line so no up and down movement
>>
meme thread
>>
>>3301638
Honestly it's insane to me that port was even made. Wasn't it released like, what, 1989?

I know the 2600 was sold clear up until 1992 or so, but as someone who grew up in chinkland, were there still people buying / playing them at that point? Damn.
>>
>>3301371
punisher on the mega drive is awful
>>
Pac-Man on NES
>>
>>3301371

Indeed. Just outta curiosity, that pac man 8k is amazing though.

https://youtu.be/fLrYmNCAUBk
>>
>>3301680
not as bad as Pac-Man on the megadrive
>>
File: Tiger-PitFighter.jpg (33 KB, 462x392) Image search: [Google]
Tiger-PitFighter.jpg
33 KB, 462x392
Pit-Fighter isn't a good arcade game to begin with, most of its console ports simply suck. The SNES version is probably the most famous regarding the suckability but there are other shitty ports around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFvHTtrGvw

>>3301696

wat
>>
>>3301740
>wat
Translators note: 'wat' means 'how dare you criticise a faceless corporation to whom I have pledged my alleigance'
>>
Commodore 64 Double Dragon. It's hard to top that one.
>>
>>3302291
Arcade port was better
>>
>>3301726
ms pac man on md is quite nice tho
>>
>>3301612
Is that Master System? I recently got a PC Engine and was surprised at how competent and fun the OutRun port was on it.
>>
>>3302314
DOS port. It's terrible, really. I loved the game, had a lot of fun with it. When I saw a real OutRun cabinet for the first time though, my jaw dropped and I spent an hour or two trying to find the damn thing. Recently played that DOS port again and, it's bad, in every way. The visuals are fucked, the framerate is fucked, the controls are fucked, the difficulty is fucked. I can only recommend to stay far away from that thing. The only good thing that came out of that game is the company. DSI went on to make Stunts 4D Driving
>>
>>3302321
Damn, that looks brutal.
>>
>>3302324
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGqlj5AN70
feel the pain. Including the fucked up music I forgot to mention
>>
>>3302331
notice how terribly the player is driving, though that might just be the controls; and how much time they have at each checkpoint. Notice also the distance between the arches in Gateway, or how half the screen on top is effectively eternal blue sky, hiding the otherwise small viewport of the game, and so many other things wrong with it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOGxxYm4z5I

Amiga port is okay.
>>
>>3302342
that framerate is a bad joke and the aspect ratio is broken (maybe just the video)
>>
File: ojqjKq2.png (9 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
ojqjKq2.png
9 KB, 512x384
>>
>>3301371
Any capcom game on the ps1,
>>
>>3301375
Fuck You. Chase HQ and Robocop on the ZX Spectrum are incredible ports
>>
>>3301696
Oh faggot I will fight you.
>>
>>3304264
>spectrum
>incredible

no.
>>
>>3304385
Incredible as in what they managed with the limited hardware to create a very playable port - certainly with the 2 mentioned. I could add R-Type to that too....that said there are some truly horrendous Spectrum/C64/Amstrad ports from that era
>>
>>3301371

Pacman for Atari 2600 is nowhere near as bad as it's reputation suggests. OP more than likely never even played it, and is just regurgitating an opinion that he heard from some e-celeb
>>
File: MsPacMan.png (2 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
MsPacMan.png
2 KB, 320x240
>>3304831
Although not unplayable, Pac-Man for the 2600 is still quite bad. Just compare it with Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man for the same console: they're awesome and have excellent graphics.
>>
>>3304831
It's pretty mediocre. If the dev had more time to work on it they probably would have made it more in line with ms pacman and jr pacman
>>
Heads up, if anyone has a harmony cart for the 2600 you can play this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrYmNCAUBk

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/page-46#entry3525518

There's actually a 4K ROM as well but I think it's made by a different person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAYuBcuvIww
>>
>>3301371
born in 85, 2600 was our first system bought from a garage sale, I can remember even as a 4 year old (i know cause 1990 i started kindergarten and it a good deal before then) and even I had played arcade pacman and knew this one was not as good, but we owned it so i still played it. A 4 year old can recognize bad quality.
>>
>>3304831
It's a tragedy of crunched development, let's not kid ourselves. I'd rather play Alien from Fox Video Games than play Pac-Man.
>>
Hardly any PC compatible arcade ports from the 80s-early 90s were any good.
>>
This guy is, what, 60 (?) and he looks at least 75. Holy god, lose some weight.
>>
>>3306190
The young woman in the background... why do so many "girl geeks" have that exact pinched facial structure?

At least when it comes to questions like "why are geeks so fat/autistic/immature" the answers are clear...
>>
>>3304187
I remember when the PS1 version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter had no tag mechanic, essentially killing the port of the game. So fucking glad I had the Japanese Sega Saturn version instead.
>>
>>3306190
Shit, getting into shape took at least 10 years off Mark Hamill's appearance.
>>
File: ATARI_-_PIT-FIGHTER_1990.jpg (152 KB, 533x693) Image search: [Google]
ATARI_-_PIT-FIGHTER_1990.jpg
152 KB, 533x693
>>
>>3308803
>Made entirely of DIGITALLY PROCESSED GRAPHICS
I wonder how all the other graphics for all the other video games were made
>>
File: tmnt2.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1278) Image search: [Google]
tmnt2.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1278
>>3301371
They took what was a brisk, enjoyable experience in the arcade, doubled the length, halved the controlability, and foisted this stodgy cash grab on impressionable kids.

Fuckin' shameful.
>>
>>3309161
Is this bait? The NES version is genuinely better than the arcade game.
>>
>>3309184
The only improvement over the arcade cabinet was that it took your 200 quarters in one go, rather than over a period of time.
>>
>>3301748

What the fuck are you projecting, nigger? I was curious about what is the great flaw that turns the decent NES Pacman in one of the worst arcade ports but forget it, you're that retarded and your opinion should be ignored
>>
>>3304831

>le contrarian contrarian meme

Dude, even the fucking programmer recognized he did a rushed bad port, fuck off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqezF_Lv05Y
>>
>>3309297

rushed port =/= worst arcade port EVAR!! XDDD
>>
>>3302291
There's an Atari 2600 port. I think that says it all.
>>
File: metalgear.png (740 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
metalgear.png
740 KB, 700x1000
>>3301664
What's funny is that homebrewing enthusiasts made a better port using the same tech they had back then. They failed miserably, like whose idea was it to make the ghosts blink?

>>3301371
Pic related was a terrible port.
>>
>>3309717
>What's funny is that homebrewing enthusiasts made a better port using the same tech they had back then. They failed miserably, like whose idea was it to make the ghosts blink?

>guy who understands nothing about Atari 2600 programming

Lemme break it down. Todd Frye told the management that Pac-Man required a minimum 8k ROM, but they were too cheap for that and limited him to 4k. The flickering was due to a sprite limitation of the 2600 and Frye did develop a game engine to work around that, but it was too big to fit in 4k (Ms. Pac-Man used the engine he made).
>>
Many arcade ports back then were shit and didn't properly utilize the hardware. A lot of it had to do with time/budget constraints and also because programming tools in the 80s were more limited than what's available now, and finally because a lot of hardware exploits were not well known or understood at that time.

Some of it also had to do with the skills of the programmer and not everyone was good at their job.
>>
>>3309732
Indeed it was. There were many dreadful Spectrum -> C64 conversions done by simply converting all the Speccy graphics to the C64's hires mode and translating all the original Z80 source code into its equivalent 6502 instruction. Anyone knows doing that will absolutely kill your performance.

Some game programmers like the Rowlands brothers were brilliant, unfortunately a lot of them were rubbish and only there to collect a paycheck.
>>
>>3309297
It's not his fault. They wouldn't let him have an 8k ROM and he had like three weeks to work on it.
>>
>>3309717
>Metal Gear on NES
>Terrible port
It was serviceable for what it was. It's obvious it wasn't going to 1:1 port of the MSX2 version due to the hardware differences between the two.
>>
>>3309747
It was actually a prototype IIRC. He wanted more space to store the maze and to allow for more complex programming, he didn't believe there was enough room in 4KB to support the entire game as it was in the arcade.

If you notice the maze in the 2600 "port" of pacman is made up of just a few unique parts that are basically copy pasted and mirrored.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.