[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Challenge Runs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
I really enjoyed a no-save runthrough of Resident Evil 2. It really lent a breath of fresh air because the game just wasn't challenging or scary for me anymore. But it made encounters actually threatening because I would lose all my progress, and I also had to change how my inventory was sorted. I could never move between save rooms without healing items, or how you planned item acquisition.

Plus I almost fell apart in the final battle, but I pulled it off. Such a good feeling.

I've tried this with Dino Crisis, and enh.. I don't like the insta-death scenes that are common. Plus they have resuscitations and continues which sort of cheapen it. But I lost anyway, fucking T-rex/therizons.

I'm trying it with Resident Evil 3 now. Also, Pokemon Nuzlocke runs are fun. Are there more fun video game challenge runs?
>>
Oh yeah, and what campaign do you like better?

I think I prefer Claire. But I have a thing for chicks in games. Even so, I'm pretty sure the Sherry Birkin/The mayor who hunted women/the reporter plotline was the best.

Ada was just fucking stupid. But Mr.X was a good monster.
>>
>>3300573
>Are there more fun video game challenge runs?
Four Job Fiesta?
>>
You could always try a low % Megaman X. That'd be uh, no helmet, no subtanks, no hearts, no armour. Just the required Maverick guns and the electric slide.

You could also tack on only using regular buster with that. It'd make a few bosses tricky, like armadillo, octopus and Mandrill.
>>
When I unlocked Tofu, I did my last Claire B run without saves.

First no save Claire B I got instakilled by a licker right before the final Mr. X boss fight. Second run, Mr. X kills me right before I can fire the rocket launcher. Third run, I'm on my way to the Mr. X fight once again, and I shit you not my PS2 overheats and just shuts off. I took a 30 minute smoke break and I actually did it a fourth time and completed it.
>>
>>3300713
Tough breaks. I only died the one time, but it was pretty early on, I just got cornered in a zombie hallway like an idiot. only about a half hour I had to redo so not so bad.
>>
I like beating Resident Evil 1 with knife only. Haven't done it with less than 2 saves though.
>>
I did not realize that Easy Mode on RE3 was baby mode.

They start you off with infinite ink ribbons, a shotgun with 73 shells,265 handgun rounds, and 300 some assault rifle rounds.
AND 30 magnum rounds.

30 magnum rounds, I've never seen that many before in any game.
>>
ive got a challenge for you buddy beat mario before you need a diaper change
>>
>>3300741
>30 magnum rounds

Yeah, you can only find 18 rounds in REmake with Jill on Normal for example.

But I'm pretty sure that in RE3 Hard mode you can still make this much with gun powder.
>>
>>3300573
Buster-only*, no e-tanks for any of the mega man games is the only way I can play them anymore. Too easy otherwise.

Excluding places where you are REQUIRED to use a special weapon/utility, i.e. Rush coil
>>
Speedrunning/low-level RPG runs. As a kid I kinda did this by default, since I was in such a hurry to get to the next area. I remember a low-level run of Super Mario RPG where I ended up beating the hidden boss at level 23.
>>
>>3300824
Level 23 isn't low-level in SMRPG, the level cap is 30.

Everything becomes loleasy around 15, especially if you equip the lazy shell.
>>
File: 001_TitleArnoldLadies.jpg (456 KB, 2455x1699) Image search: [Google]
001_TitleArnoldLadies.jpg
456 KB, 2455x1699
>>3300573
How about one that is only fun with the right people.

When I was much younger I played Diablo 1 with a guild called Paladins of Light. We had a no store policy. Everything, including potions, had to be found in dungeons. It certainly made the game interesting; holding on by the skin of your teeth hoping a town portal would drop. Still very playable. The challenge came in with the HARDCORE PoL members. Same rules, but one death and you had to restart your character.
>>
For old FPS I like to do "pistol starts" on whatever second to highest difficulty, only saving at the start of each level.

>>3300573
For RE2, try the Nightmare difficulty mode exclusive to the PC and Dreamcast versions. You won't regret it.

For RE3 you can do a "Kill every Nemesis encounter" run, including the encounters where he doesn't drop anything. This takes good knowledge of ammo making and use.

>>3300735
I did that too, as well as Biohazard 3 easy mode knife only (with saves, the clock tower Nemesis fight is HELL).

Ironically in RE1 the hardest knife only moment is the Tyrant in the lab, and at that moment using a version with auto-aiming helps a LOT.
>>
File: sampleImage_238374.jpg (215 KB, 722x1024) Image search: [Google]
sampleImage_238374.jpg
215 KB, 722x1024
>Start Metal Gear 1 on the MSX2 (not the Subsistence version)
>Play like normal until you get captured and thrown in jail with Grey Fox.
>Escape, defeat Shoot Gunner and retrieve your equipment.
Now play the rest of the game without ever removing the transmitter from your equipment, When Big Boss eventually forces you remove it when you reach the entrance of Building No. 2, use the "Hirake Goma" cheat to get all the keycards in your inventory so you can keep playing permanent alert mode.
>>
>>3300573
Parasite Eve 2 has a lot of challenge modes, but an interesting challenge is the full Scrooge run: trying to rack up as many Battle Points as possible. It's pretty challenging since basically you're trying to get stuff but also conserve what you have.

Personally I find that making a no-save challenge in the early RE games actually makes inventory management easier, as you can skip getting all the ink ribbons. Made item acquisition much easier for me when I tried to speedrun RE DC for the rocket launcher.
Incidentally, my run ended a few minutes later and I didn't get it. I did save once before going back to the mansion after point 42, because my first run was cut short by one of the first hunters encounters. Fuck them and their instakill.
>>
>>3300573
I like to configure both player 1 and 2 to the same pad on an emulator and play brawlers with 2 characters at the same time. It's surprisingly fun.
>>
Thief 1 or Thief 2 campaign in one sitting, no saves, no deaths. Like you said, makes the game scary again
>>
Ocarina of Time three heart challenge. No potions, no fairies
>>
>>3301404
>Ironically in RE1 the hardest knife only moment is the Tyrant in the lab, and at that moment using a version with auto-aiming helps a LOT.

I have the black label version, so no auto aim for me. I will however use the pause trick with no regrets (not very useful, but it can help with some dodges).
>>
>>3300573
Challenge runs are nothing more than players imposing artificial limitations to make up for the game's flaws or game designer's mistakes. If you want more of a challenge, play a harder game.
>>
>>3303578
You sound like you've never mastered a game before, sorry homie.
>>
>>3300573
Nice.

I saved up for a ps1 in 6th grade and this was the first game i bought for it. I didn't realize that i needed a memory card so i learned how to beat this without saving.

First completion time was like 9 hours. I was so happy and then I saw that F rank.
>>
>>3303578
Not really, in fact it is a sign of deep gameplay that you can find interesting challenges to do in games.
>>
>>3301963
Thief hit detection and enemy behaviour/spotting mechanic are way, way too wonky for this to be anything other than frustrating.

I love Thief and I love challenge runs, but this is definitely a quicksave game.
>>
>>3304462
Then you need to git gud.
That's all it is true and simple.
>>
>>3304478
I've beaten both games on Expert and it has nothing to do with Git Gud. Mechanics are way too finicky to reliably do stuff.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.