[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /vr/ clean carts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 691219417131917ra.jpg (51 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
691219417131917ra.jpg
51 KB, 600x399
hi /vr/. i recently started acquiring some n64 carts i wanted as a kid but never had. most are in great condition and all of them play perfectly, but a few have some grime to them like pic related. is there any kind of soap/cleaner etc. i should use (or more importantly Not use) to spruce them up? is there anything you have had success with when trying to remove sharpie from plastic?
>>
>>3300530
Isopropyl Alcohol cleans up the gray cart plastic pretty good -- but it *will* mess up the labels if you are not careful. Just go slow and don't rush it.

As for the contacts, I've had some success with using "contact cleaner" (from a spray can) and a q-tip. There are a couple of carts I still have not been able to fire up, even with the cleaner. I bought the security bit required to open then up and plan to give them a thorough cleaning with brasso (which I heard does a better job).
>>
The only trick I know is to remove yellowing. Submerse the cart in hydrogen peroxide and expose it to uv light while soaking. After a day or two of that, scrub. Remove the PCB first obviously. See "retro bright"
>>
>>3300530
Soap and water, then I follow by buffing heavily with NOVA Plastic Cleaner.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I
That's a great video for getting rid of yellowing
>>
I lick them clean.
>>
What would you guys do if someone sprayed your carts with home defense insecticide? It's been years, but should I still clean them? I know chemical was sprayed directly on them
>>
>>3300530
I blow them like every other sane human on earth.

>b-b-b-but that d-d-d-damages the c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-carts!

No they don't faggot stop listening to youtubers who just got into retro gaming last month.
>>
>>3300938

>the state of your reading comprehension
>>
>>3300952
Scuse me kid but did I ask you permission to respond to me? No? Then shut the fuck up and delete your post right now.
>>
>>3300530
>found game in some garage sale and its tarnished so bad you cant see the pins
Step 1: Take it apart with special bit from the internet
Step 2: Get a metal polish, I prefer Brasso, a little dab will do ya
Step 3: Take q-tip with a tiny amount of Brasso, polish a bit, use other end of the q-tip to wipe away MOST of it
Step 4: with another q-tip use 97% rubbing alch to clean it to shinyass perfection
Step 5: put cart back together

After that its just a quick rub with an alcohol q-tip every few months for maintenance
>>
>>3300530
Semen does the job pretty good. I've used it on just about everything from SNES to 3ds and it gets rid of stains like nothing else. Smells good too!
>>
>>3300957
>Being this defensive
Not even the aforementioned "kid" but god damn is someone mad they fucked up.

Anyway OP normal soap and water do wonders, magic eraser works good for writing, Q-Tip with brasso or rubbing alcohol clean contacts good, and remember to keep your cartridge slot clean most of all. A credit card with a microfiber cloth and brasso will do the trick. Put it in and out without moving it sideways and keep going until clean.
>>
File: 1378615241499.jpg (54 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1378615241499.jpg
54 KB, 480x720
op here. thx bros i'm going to try a few of these tomorrow. classy ladies for your troubles.
>>
someone suggested to me recently that lighter fluid works better than goo gone for removing stickers. truth or am i getting trolled?
>>
>>3301009

i'd only use an abrasive polish like brasso if it's particularly bad, otherwise just a good solid cleaning with 91+% alcohol will do just fine.
>>
>>3300530
OF sucks dick.
>>
>>3301164
This

Lighter fluid works best on paper labels, and sometimes on sticker residue on cardboard boxes and dvd/cd cases.

Apply a liberal amount of lighter fluid on a paper label, and let it soak in. Be patient, and let it soak in all the way. After a while, peel slowly. If there is sticky residue, apply a dab of lighter fluid to your finger, and rub in a slow circular motion at the sticky area. add more if necessary.

I use Rosonol lighter fuel, and I've never had it affect my NES or SNES boxes.

For plastic stickers and stuff, it's best to play it safe, especially if they are on boxes or labels. If you must use lighter fluid, peel a bit of the sticker away, make sure it's not peeling the sticker or top layer of the box or whatever.

when you pull some of the sticker away safely, add more lighter fluid and tug a bit more. Give it time to let it soak.

I use Rosonol, and it evaporates very quickly. I've never had any discoloration or whatever. Obviously don't have an open flame nearby when you do this.
>>
File: james-hong.jpg (40 KB, 300x370) Image search: [Google]
james-hong.jpg
40 KB, 300x370
>>3301204
>>
File: 1462858538247.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1462858538247.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
>>3301204
>>
>>3301267
Is this OF?
>>
I'll be back here tomorrow to spread the word of OF.Goodnight faggots.
>>
I've been using these to clean my consoles and games for the past 7 years and they've worked wonders. This is for the outer plastic only so don't let them touch the contacts. They work on labels too but don't scrub if the label is faded or torn. Also they might feel sticky afterwards but that goes away on its own.

If there's any reason I shouldn't be using these please tell me now, pretty much everything in my collection has been wiped down thoroughly with these
>>
File: 11967837.jpg (553 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
11967837.jpg
553 KB, 1300x1300
>>3302170
forgot pic
>>
>>3301159
>classy
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.