[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is Shenmue really that great? Should I be excited for 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15
File: i-MhCLV9s-2100x20000.jpg (496 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
i-MhCLV9s-2100x20000.jpg
496 KB, 2100x1052
So is Shenmue really that great? Should I be excited for 3?
>>
File: 2.png (312 KB, 598x335) Image search: [Google]
2.png
312 KB, 598x335
>>3300342
It was breathtaking at the time. If you as a "modern gamer" *ptoi* play it now you'll experience a mixed bag of advanced visuals and surprising detail combined with what you will probably consider stiff controls and stilted dialog.
>>
>>3300362
Ah, so it's just like modern games.
>>
>>3300362
>If you as a "modern gamer"
What are you talking about? Shenmue was one the fist big name cinematic walking sim games. Right up modern shit alley.
>>
>>3300342
god no

its dull trash, and it has literally aged like dogshit

>the endgame involves literally having a 7 day work week where you drive a forklift moving boxes into different warehouses

the 2nd game is just a fuck-long questline that just littered with QTEs
>>
>>3300368
>>3300367
holy fuck this
>>
>>3300368
>>3300367
Correct, but it's engine is Virtua Fighter underneath and it feels like it. Also the dialog, especially the English language voices dialog is pretty 90s.

>>3300369
The end game of 1 is a battle royale that should really have had it's difficulty cranked enough to require collecting most of not all of the technique scrolls. The forklift driving is sweet. Sweet and boring.
>>
>>3300376
im pretty sure you can cheese the fucker
>>
>>3300380
You can. Sucks.
>>
File: kazuma.jpg (171 KB, 685x300) Image search: [Google]
kazuma.jpg
171 KB, 685x300
Yakuza is Shenmue done right.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3300389
not retro
>>
>>3300389
I actually didn't get that far in Yakuza, I got stuck at the funeral because, I shit you not, I could not figure out where the path was. I literally could not walk from Point A to Point B at the very start of the game.
>>
>>3300389
i cant

Yakuza 2 is the GOAT
>>
>>3300362
What do you mean "what you will probably consider stiff controls"
It either has stiff controls or it doesn't, it's not really much of an opinion.
>>
>>3300421
There's this thing called getting use to them. There's also the fact that the game obviously isn't a platformer or something that would require such delicate controls, so its fine as it is.
>>
I struggle stay awake playing Shenmue, literally. The slow pace, the bad voice acting, the awkward dialog, the music, it just feels like I'm on a heavy dose of sedatives and I end up dozing off in my chair.
>>
>>3300443
Bad voice acting fixed by getting the undub.
>>
>>3300443
Yeah. There is no middle ground. You either love and enjoy the immersive feeling of Shenmue, or you hate it/fall asleep.
>>
>>3300342

That's a bit of a complicated question.

By all accounts and today's standards? Not really. no.

But at the time? at the time it was mind blowing. Something that ambitious simply hasn't ever been done before.
>>
>>3300448
>>3300450
I don't even mean it as a criticism, if I hated it I'd get irritated and stop playing. It's a nice pleasent experiance.
>>
It's very good open world adventure game with decent fighting system. You have a lot of freedom to do what you want and can interact with a lot of things. It also has good music and a reasonable story. Really the only thing thats wrong with it is the fact that it introduces the FUCKING HORRIBLE QTE BULLSHIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42MExWBStCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jVIRENnVA
>>
>>3300460
It still hasn't!
What other game goes that deep in world-building and characterization? All the stuff you can do. And still keep it down-to-earth enough to be relatable.
>>
>>3300551
For the tenth time, FMV games are QTE games. QTEs are not some new invention.
>>
>>3300765
Yeah, but Shenmue was one of the first to start the trend of integrating QTE's into non-FMV games that would carry on into other modern games like Resident Evil 4.
>>
>>3300630
It still hasn't what?
>>
>>3301467
Very few modern games have reached that level of ambition I think that anon meant.

I mean, for christsakes, they actually looked at meteorological data for all the regions the game takes place in for the range of dates the game covers (you can go like a year or so before you autofail).

So, for example, all the weather is accurate to the time and date of each real-world location. It's such a minute detail, but shows a very high level of dedication.
>>
>>3300770
Doesn't matter, mate. Might as well say that Tekken was the first game to integrate vertical shooters into fighting games.
>>
The first Shenmue is really a weird, surreal game. The atmosphere is very pensive as you walk around a village trying to piece together what happened to your father.

It's an amazing game.
>>
File: 300px-Yn01[1].png (112 KB, 300x208) Image search: [Google]
300px-Yn01[1].png
112 KB, 300x208
Japan has some trauma with dads it seems to me.
>>
Can you emulate the two games?
>>
>>3301636
doesn't everybody?
>>
>>3300389
They're nothing alike. Yakuza is more like a modern version of Street Gangs/River City Ransom for the yanks
>>
File: Shenmue.jpg (764 KB, 2097x1018) Image search: [Google]
Shenmue.jpg
764 KB, 2097x1018
>>3300342
I asked the same thing and /vr/ told me to fuck off. PA has some pretty top opinions though so I'm going to try and emulate the Gamecast version
>>
>>3301808
>yanks
>>
>>3301808

No, a modern version of Kunio-kun would be Kenka Bancho.

Yakuza is more like Dyamite Deka mixed with Shenmue, he's not completely wrong by comparing Shenmue to Yakuza, although they're not exactly the same.
>>
>>3301808
A RCR game with graphics like the NeoGeo dodge ball game would be awesome.
>>
>>3302000
>Belt scroller on an open world with rpg elements
Sounds a lot like RCR minus the bancho thing.
>>
>>3302039
>belt scroller in 3D

Like Dynamite Deka

>with RPG elements

Like Shenmue.

Still, it's a possibility the Yakuza dev team had some influence from the Kunio series since it's well known in Japan, but they're clearly more inspired by Shenmue and Dynamite Deka, Sega's own games.
>>
>>3302049
Who gives a shit what games were they actually inspired by? The only thing about Yakuza that resembles Shenmue is the open world, and RCR already did that decades before for the same genre. Yakuza literally plays like RCR with the Spikeout moveset.
>>
>>3302078

Yakuza has a lot of similarities with Shenmue, not just the open world.
All the character-based side-quests, the part-time jobs you can take in, etc.
Gameplay wise I agree it's like Spikeout, but I already mentioned Dynamite Deka.

I'm sure there's many other "open world" games before RCR, that's not a valid argument. The only reason you're mentioning RCR is because it's about japanese street delinquents, but Yakuza isn't about juvenile delinquents like the banchos, it's about, you know, yakuza, like the Jingi tatakai movies.
>>
>>3302084
>The only reason you're mentioning RCR is because it's about japanese street delinquents
The only reason I'm mentioning RCR is because it's an open world brawler, just like Yakuza, you farm money to buy upgrades just like in Yakuza, there's stores to buy shit in just like in Yakuza, you have an item storage system just like in Yakuza, the game isn't lineal, just like Yakuza to some extend (character-quests).
>I'm sure there's many other "open world" games before RCR, that's not a valid argument
Name any other non Kunio retro brawler that takes place in an open world.
>>
>>3302093

So how it is, brawler or belt scroller?

I guess you have a point, in that sense RCR might be like some grand daddy of Yakuza, but claiming it's nothing like Shenmue is wrong, there's a lot of similarities with it as well.
>>
>>3300342
The first game had such a comfy soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gisvHDO_pvw

My personal favorite for wandering around Dobuita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJCkNOV0pY
>>
More games need shops and convenience stores
>>
File: race.gif (835 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
race.gif
835 KB, 500x300
>>3300342
Shenmue is really that great however it's something you really need to play alone when you have nothing better to do in an isolated room without an internet connection. The atmosphere and world is 95% of the fun of the game and if you play Shenmue 3 on PC with your friend messaging you on Steam while you keep alt tabbing to watch MOBA and Overwatch tournaments you're going to lose a lot of the value and intimacy of "the experience". You could argue this is true of nearly all games but it's going to suck almost all of the fun out of Shenmue.

I know it sounds pretentious as shit but this is one of those things you have to get invested in to get the full experience of. It's not like Punch Out or one of those old beat 'em ups where you can just turn your brain off after a long day and have some casual background fun.
>>
>>3302216
yeah, a lot of stuff is ruined nowadays because of too much stimulation. I would play a game and maybe listen to a CD or have the small TV on as background noise. Nowadays we're too used to instant gratification, chat rooms, 4chan, texting, messengers. It's so easy to read something real quick and reply and wonder about what was said later.
Can't even make it through a TV show (mostly because they're all bad) anymore without pausing and alt tabbing to see what people are saying about Shenmue.
>>
>>3302223
I'm not against instant gratification or the nature of the internet. Overall, it's for the better. However, some things are best uninterrupted and with full focus.
>>
>>3300342
>>3300342
>Should I be excited for 3?
Not unless you played the other two first?
Why would you care about a game thats the third in the series?
>>
So if I want to play Shenmue do I have to buy dreamcast?
>>
>>3302103
Keep it to your containment thread please.
>>
>>3302295
There's probably going to be HD remakes in the next year or two. You can emulate both, play both on Dreamcast (II was only released in English in Europe), and play the Xbox version of II on Xbox or Xbox 360 if you want.

Also, Dreamcasts are dirt cheap and you should get one anyway, it's an amazing console.
>>
>>3302304
I just checked, literally 0 on sale in my country (Finland), also checked ebay and they were listed for 150€ so I wouldn't consider that dirt cheap.
>>
>>3302309
I'm pretty sure you can find a DC for less than 30 euros.
>>
>>3302309
They are $30 with cables and controller at the over-priced retro shop near me in the states. For context, they sell loose, yellow, unrepaired NESs for $70... Just pony up for shipping from Japan and you can get a good deal too.
>>
File: 798px-DelinHong.jpg (131 KB, 798x599) Image search: [Google]
798px-DelinHong.jpg
131 KB, 798x599
YOOSHOOOOONG
>>
>>3302634
Sega wasn't as popular in the States as it was in Yurop and South America, afaik. That's why Sega stuff isn't as expensive there, some anon from /g/ made out of Goodwill with a serious loot of a Genesis and like 8 must-haves for like 20 bux.
>>
File: .gif (2 MB, 500x648) Image search: [Google]
.gif
2 MB, 500x648
Like it or not Shenmue is a game that requires patience and a particular calm mindset. If you're now living an adult life with responsibilities and other stressful endeavours I doubt you will ever find the time to properly enjoy this game.

However if you can find a window of opportunity like those long days without doing anything, with no school or anything when you were a kid that is the perfect time to enjoy a game like this.

I really do think the ability to enjoy this game is a product of circumstance for the most part, if you're not playing it at the right moment in your life it would be impossible to enjoy, the game demands a lot of immersion from the player. If you're able to surrender your full attention you'll be rewarded, otherwise the whole experience might just seem like a chore.

But either way, even given the right circumstances I believe it's a very divisive game, you'll either absolutely love or hate it with passion, with no room for a middle ground.
>>
I played it in 2006 while in college. I expected the best game ever and it was the best game ever.
I guess you need to appreciate normal Japan and insane detail level to experience the same i experienced.
>>
>>3302934
That's not entirely true. You just need to be able to enjoy being immersed in 80s suburban life. I'd say it's less demanding than an average JRPG.
>>
>>3301636
Also african americans
>>
File: nullDC_1 2010-02-01 10-21-39-43.jpg (575 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
nullDC_1 2010-02-01 10-21-39-43.jpg
575 KB, 1280x1024
>>3300342
>So is Shenmue really that great?
Shenmue is great because there was no other game like it at the time, except maybe Omikron: The Nomad Soul. It really tried to be that open world, adventure RPG game where you can do mundane things, somehow even coming out before Shenmue, but it clearly wasn't as polished.

If you never played it before and tried to play it today, I'm sure you'd think it to be an indie title in terms of atmosphere and being so plot-focused with minimalist controls.

That is, until you realize you can speak to every single NPC, they all have their own daily schedules, the weather changes, the environments change with the weather, there's hundreds of collectibles, there's actual games inside it that you can play and it's got pretty much its own fully fleshed out combat mechanics and a unique training system, where, to illustrate the hard work involved at mastering a martial art, you have to repeat a move 20 times to increase the mastery gauge only a little.

It's a brilliantly executed game, portraying a very realistic setting with an intriguing mystical plot and its only flaws come from hardware limitations and, well, just plain being a product of its time (of course some of the dialog sounds hilarious at times), but they did the absolute best they could and that's why Shenmue has become an icon and an historical landmark.

Meanwhile nobody's talking about Skyrim anymore, which is technically a much more expansive and deep game.

>Should I be excited for 3?
I don't know. How big of a fan are you? How much faith do you have in the current generation of gaming development? These are the kinds of questions I still ask myself ever since it was announced. I absolutely loved the two games and while it was sad that the plot was never concluded, it was okay. I'd already accepted it was fine that it would never be revived, but here we are, thanks to Kickstarter and many, many fans who gladly donated... it's like seeing a dear friend resurrecting.
>>
sage report hide and move on please not retro
>>
>>3303189
>not retro
Fuck off with your autism.
>>
>>3303189
Shemue is as retro as the dreamcast.

Also, I don't think you understand how sage works there bucko.

What was your favorite method of making money in the games? Did you guys prefer gambling, pawning, or moving boxes?
>>
>>3303227
>Did you guys prefer gambling, pawning, or moving boxes?
Definitely gambling. Especially in Shenmue II thanks to the Lucky Hit boards. There were a couple boards where I would hit a target 9 times out of ten.
>>
>>3303906
This post is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>3303151
>which is technically a much more expansive and deep game
>>
>>3304273
>>which is technically a much more expansive and deep game
What I was implying is that while it is technically a larger game with much, much more content going for it, it was poorly produced, hyped up for a little while, then quickly forgotten.

>>3303906
>Shenmue is overrated as fuck, almost as overrated as pic related
Everyone has got an opinion on historically important videogames. More than likely you too have your own preference of one or two games that are universally considered on their own league. To be insulting Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid like this is just plain foolish. It can only be "overrated as fuck" when you think backwards. Nobody at the time could possibly have considered these games "overrated" because they represented the peak of game design and game experience at the time. Game developers & directors had been wishing the hardware to keep up with their own aspirations and ideas, and these games represented taking itself one more step forward toward being an art form. They're important and there's many reasons why.

tl;dr your mom is overrated as fuck, 1/10 didn't even cum.
>>
File: 1437460535175 (1).jpg (7 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1437460535175 (1).jpg
7 KB, 255x220
>>3300342
>Ine-san
>Mom
>>
Used to really like the Shenmue games for their atmosphere, then I realized that moviegames are for faggots.
>>
>>3304939
To be fair for the longest time I thought she was his mom as well.
I mean she gives him his allowance. What kind of weird fucking house maid does that, and the man of the house is dead, who the hell is paying her.
I still don't totally understand what kind of function she has around the house, must be one of those cultural things that only applies to Japan
>>
File: CknThX4UgAAA6B3.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
CknThX4UgAAA6B3.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
Shenmue certainly follows its own advice.
>>
>>3307224
She's probably acting as executor/guardian.
>>
File: .gif (967 KB, 500x261) Image search: [Google]
.gif
967 KB, 500x261
>>3307243
Let's not kid ourselves, we all know why she still hangs around the house
>>
>>3307282
When I first played Shenmue and won Space Harrier for Sega Saturn in that Tomato convenience store just to later flip out a fucking Saturn and put it on TV and play it blew my mind.
All those details in the first game are amazing, shame that 3 will likely not live up to the expectations.
>>
>>3307647
>>3307282
How could the Saturn even be there in 1987?
>>
>>3307958
It's where you put the dragon mirror
>>
>>3307958
The same way Sonic figures where distributed, it's just supposed to be a reference.

every time I realize this though it does break the immersion for me and I have to stop playing and just sit for a while.
>>
>>3308702
>and I have to stop playing and just sit for a while
So... you play standing up?
>>
>>3301606

Really? Is there a source for this and any other random attention to detail in Shenmue?

That sounds MGS2 tier.
>>
>>3309128
It's very comparable to MGS2, it's a very small world condensed with detail to the brim, that you might just blaze through if you don't pay attention.

Instead of expanding outwards and making a big empty world like most games like to do, they made a small world extremely condensed with micro detail.

I mean, there's not even a repeat NPC, every single character in the game is unique, has their unique hand drawn texture and dialogues and follows their unique daily route.

Wish more games took this approach. But I guess it's not that easy to sell. It's way easier to just say WE CREATED A HUGE OPEN WORLD WITH 700.000 GAZILLION SQUARE MILES THE SIZE OF THE SIZE YOUR MOM'S ANUS. Instead of "oh, there's 1 city and a dock, but it's very detailed we swear!!!!"
>>
>>3309237
>every single character in the game is unique, has their unique hand drawn texture and dialogues and follows their unique daily route.
This. It's like Morrison's you can stalk anybody and see what they do. They do more interesting stuff but you can't follow then into their houses and watch them sleep or plant items on then to see if they use them but they seem more real with individual mannerisms and habits.

You may find yourself really liking an NPC who does next to nothing but you WANT them to do more and you realize you're acting weird by paying more attention to then than they want you to. That is part of the whole "Is Ryo autistic?" meme but I think it's mainly the English dub. There's no shortage of opportunities for players to make him ACT autistic though since it's such a small world and you'll generally find a certain routine of stuff that's fun you do when you need to waste time and/or make money.

It's really a village area, a town area and a city area though not just "city and dock" there's definitely three distinct zones it's just that the village area is pretty boring to most people who don't really really like playing with kittens and little girls. Chibi-chan is like the cutest nickname for a little girl I think is even possible in the Japanese language.
>>
>>3309246
>people who really really like playing with kittens and little girls
I don't think you'll find a shortage of them on this site.
>>
>>3309128
The weather is actual weather from Yokosuka in 1988.
On top of my head the game had details like fully working mirrors, snow and rain not falling down on you when under a rooftop, when you're running the snow or rain will get in your view and will worsen your vision, characters in shops have a break and someone different is there to sell you stuff, you can call your friends and talk with them, call information center and ask something or weather forecast to know what weather will be today etc.
>>
>>3309128
What do you mean MGS2 tier, there was nothing of that level in MGS2
>>
I really hope they never remaster the originals, especially before 3 comes out anyway, as I feel that'll hamper the development and potential of Shenmue 3.

If you want to get into it, then by all means, go and source out a dreamcast. The amount of people screaming for remasters before 3 is out have started to get my sperglord blood boiling. Waited too long for this, boys. Too long
>>
>>3311764
They don't need remastering. Idiots would shell out $100+ for remasters but they won't buy a fucking Dreamcast and VGA cables. Fuck 'em.
>>
>>3307647
>shame that 3 will likely not live up to the expectations
Speak for yourself, I assure you it will live up to my expectations.
>>
File: I loved this game.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
I loved this game.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>3311764
There's no way they'd remaster anything before 3 comes out when 3 is already in development. It would be a waste of time and money. Maybe they're working on it right now but they wouldn't put it out before 3.

I hope they do remaster it because I love seeing the things I used to enjoy in higher quality on more modern tech.

>>3311815
It probably won't dude.

Shenmue was high budget and cutting edge at the time. It was a product of time in that sense because a large part of the value was that it was rather unprecedented or at least rare for someone to make something like that. Merely remaking a similar game today, which is what they seem to be doing, simply is not the same and could never have the same level of impact because we're used to having these sorts of dense exploration/adventure/story games. The fact of the matter is it'll be just another game, even if it sells well. And that's fine. That doesn't mean it'll be bad. It might be a 10/10. But it won't have the same "revolutionary" aura if you know what I mean.

It's kinda like how you couldn't release Sonic or Mario 64 or Pokemon today and have it be a colossally big deal anymore, even if it would be good.

With that said, as long as you don't expect it to be as incredible as the originals it should at least hit those expectations.
>>
>>3311929
Weren't those 3D releases of OoT and MM colossally big deals?
>>
>>3311989
I mean they were pretty big deals but they weren't big deals in the way Skyrim was a big deal, for example. Or maybe I'm wrong, I didn't follow the remakes because I don't care for handhelds.
>>
>>3311674
Not that Anon but MGS2 had a lot of detail but not in the same way shenmue did. Most of it was pretty hidden, or easter eggs or silly jokes and references, lot's of obscure codec conversations that you had to trigger in specific circunstances, shit like that.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.