[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snatcher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9
File: snatcherbox.jpg (153 KB, 530x389) Image search: [Google]
snatcherbox.jpg
153 KB, 530x389
Spoilers abound.

>Games takes place during Christmas
>Elijah wants to become the new messiah (birth of Christ) in a world of Snatchers
>Snatchers are machines which follow his orders (religious faith)
>Prayer is useless and jokingly adds an option to the menu when Gillian is about to crash
>Only church in the game is literally a Snatcher assembly factory
>Said church also gets obliterated by a laser cannon later on

How did this game get past the censors again? Snatcher thread.
>>
Because Sega does what Nintendon't.
>>
File: sdsnatcher-9[1].png (7 KB, 272x212) Image search: [Google]
sdsnatcher-9[1].png
7 KB, 272x212
There are actually more than one
>>
All censors cared about back then was direct visual content. You could've written anything in the story and it'd pass.
>>
File: u7_061[1].png (19 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
u7_061[1].png
19 KB, 320x200
A lot of games from that time includes a malicious church that tries to win influence through faith
>>
>>3299715
>>3299723
This. Only Nintendo cared about censoring religious imagery in games back then.
>>
File: 6SNATCHER_000.jpg (138 KB, 549x480) Image search: [Google]
6SNATCHER_000.jpg
138 KB, 549x480
>>3299715
>>
File: Search.png (33 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
Search.png
33 KB, 500x419
>>3299740
Why did they changed the placement of Gibson's corpse in the Sega CD version?
>>
>>3299739
>Nintendo cared about censoring religious imagery in games back then.
Didn't know about that. Probably one of those silly decisions CEOs make, which wouldn't matter anyway, just in case the blame wouldn't fall on their ass.
>>
>>3299739
Breath of Fire barely hid it. I was surprised.
>>
>>3299723
They voluntarily rated it MP-13 and Nintendo heavily censored the SNES port.
>>
>>3299752
No idea. It was obvious in the original version that his coat was buttoned, but on your screenshot it kind of looks like he has been turned over (he wasn't though, you can still see the line for the coat right above his head).
>>
File: SnatcherVP[1].jpg (42 KB, 560x392) Image search: [Google]
SnatcherVP[1].jpg
42 KB, 560x392
>>3299740
Actually
>>
>>3299763
Replied to the wrong person. See >>3299761, they deliberately showed his bloody neck in the SegaCD version.
>>
>>3299753
I know they into trouble for designing one of the Zelda dungeons into a manji, since it looked like a Nazi Swastika, which is how I suspect it started. A lot of cross imagery in games Zelda II, the Castlevania series and Dragon Warrior got edited out from the U.S. version.
>>
>>3299774
>I know they into trouble
I don't believe it's genuine consumers who complained about shit like this back then. I think the whole controversy around video games in the '90 was a result of companies trying to undermine each other position which led to a shitstorm.
>>
>>3299648
>two Snatcher threads up at once
I must be in total recall.
>>
>>3299797
From The Ultimate History of Video Games
>Protests came from all directions. Educators and parents complained that Nintendo was distracting children from their studies, a 1989 study stated that Nintendo was partially to blame for a 10 percent decrease in the cardiovascular fitness of American schoolchildren,2 and Jewish groups protested that the outline of the third dungeon in a game called The Legend of Zelda was an inverted
swastika. When a Seattle-based group called Families for Peace protested outside Nintendo headquarters during the 1987 holidays, Hill and Knowlton executives had to scramble to preserve their client's reputation.
>>
>>3299868
<conspiracy_theory_mode> The question is, who gave them the idea? Where did they learn it from? I doubt parents and teachers would spend so much time on the game to discover the floor plan was a swastika </conspiracy_theory_mode>
>>
>>3299648
Is Elijah the most cucked villain in any video game?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>3299894
It was kinda obvious when you filled out the Dungeon 3 map. If they weren't watching their children playing, then they probably found it from one of the Nintendo Power guides.
>>
File: AD_198807.jpg (2 MB, 3032x1940) Image search: [Google]
AD_198807.jpg
2 MB, 3032x1940
>TFW no Snatcher artbook containing the entire storyboard.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.