[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This fucking bonus level. The depth on those ships are so bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Specialstage2shot1.png (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Specialstage2shot1.png
6 KB, 256x224
This fucking bonus level. The depth on those ships are so bad I never know when I have to jump to actually hit them, nearly every time i jump and it goes right through the sprite.

Utilizing the full power of SegaCD and this is the best they could do?
>>
>>3299005
The Sega CD isn't really anything more than a Genesis with 200-300 times more space for games.
>>
>>3299012
At has an extra processor, It's 12.5 mhz, the genesis is like 8mhz, so quite a bit more powerful.
>>
I always say this when people bring up 2-d games with depth.

pay attention to the shadows
>>
>>3299014
The difference isn't remotely close to being able to produce good enough 3D to make Sonic CD's special stages any good

The Sega CD exists for CD-quality music
Sonic CD exists for its excellent soundtrack and its time travel gimmick
>>
>>3299012
It has cpu clocked at a high frequency and hardware to handle scaling and rotating sprites. Sega should have put another VDP to increase the amount of colors on the screen so fmv games didn't look like dithered crap.
>>
>>3299018
The stages were crap because they felt floaty and controlled bad, not because they looked bad. More of a design issue than a hardware issue. This was years before mario 64, moving around in a 3d space wasn't a well tread area.
>>
>>3299035
If Sonic and/or the ships were rendered polygons rather than flat sprites it would be much easier to judge the depth and time the jump, even with the same awkward controls
>>
>>3299048
Maybe, I always felt it was just too hard to allign your shot because you're running so fast and can't turn for shit though, if the game had the homing attack from adventure it would probably be fine.
>>
>>3299018
Actually 12.5 mhz is enough to make good 3D.
>>
>>3299058
Good 3D doesn't exist on the Sega CD so either you're wrong or devs were just too afraid/inexperienced to even attempt it
>>
I have a pretty good idea of the depth but given that you can't really control Sonic's speed while trying to follow the UFO's movement patterns it makes it really frustrating.

Still not as bad as the Sonic 2 special stage though
>>
Always pissed me off when I picked up the speed boots.
>Aaah shit. Now I've got no chance.

I think I only ever cleared one level...
>>
>>3299067
The Batman car stages were pretty good 3D.
>>
Reminder that Sega Megadrive can do 3D without any add-ons or special chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sXgFmZ-tM0
>>
>>3299005
man i still can't platform worth a shit in any <5 gen game with pseudo 3d mindfuckery
>>
>>3299393
Fuck me that's so like Starwing. Was this before or after that game came out?
>>
>>3299014
>At has an extra processor, It's 12.5 mhz,

Which is tied up reading the CD almost all the time. CD reading took up something like 40% cpu on a 1996 multimedia PC, so you can imagine how much it ties up a 12.5mhz 68000.

The extra cpu is irrelevant on the Sega CD.

More importantly, it has a dedicated sprite scaling chip, and a dedicated PCM audio chip, on top of playing back CD audio music.
>>
>>3299629
bonus stage from a cancelled game, so definitely around the time of Starwing.
>>
The remake fixes the lag and make these stages pretty fun to play
>>
>>3299639
>CD reading took up something like 40% cpu on a 1996 multimedia PC

lmao

40% of a pentium 120 is a lot faster than the PS1's CPU
>>
>>3299670
You forget what the PS1 loading times were like. Look how long it took to load levels of Tomb Raider.
>>
>>3299014
Too bad that doesn't make the games any better.
>>
>>3299393
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfe2Ze_yDk4
>>
>>3299746
That game is awful, though.
>>
>>3299746
>>3299771
The sound when you go off road makes my teeth itch.
>>
I don't have any problem with the depth on those bonus stages, the first 3 or 4 are very easy, but then it gets really unfair because the UFOs dodge really fucking fast when you jump.

It's just better to get the good ending by making good futures instead of bothering with the bonus levels.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.