[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quake on Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: serveimage.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
What is /vr/'s preferred way to play Quake 1 on Linux? I googled around and found so many ports/engines I don't know which one to pick. Is there anything equivalent to gzdoom in terms of current development/users/features?
>>
Also interested in this
>>
I use darkplaces. It works well. It's in the repos for some distros aswell.
>>
>>3298294
Quakespasm.
>>
>>3298294
proquake

Although no music, it is my personal method of quaking on both Linux and Ventanas.
http://quakeone.com/proquake/
>>
>>3298294
Quakespasm is the definitive way to play vanilla Quake, the only other option available is Darkplaces which is completely different than the vanilla experience and looks like complete shit in my eyes . If you're on a *buntu derivative it's just:

sudo apt-get install quakespasm

Import your Quake files in ~/.quakespasm/id1 and make sure to keep the file names all lowercase by using this command while in your id1 folder:

rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

When you're in the game open up the console and type:

gl_texturemode gl_nearest

This makes Quake look a lot better and removes the god awful vaseline on the textures.

If you happen to get a Steam or GOG copy you have to download the music separately and place the music files in id/music.

Extra maps/mods can be downloaded using Quaddicted's dead simple installer (make sure you have Java/OpenJDK installed):

https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

Have fun!
>>
File: 1452307326511.gif (2 MB, 400x209) Image search: [Google]
1452307326511.gif
2 MB, 400x209
Why is it such an ordeal to get Quake and Quake II working properly? Like having to manually inject the music?
>>
>>3301564
Shit's old. technology changes.
>>
>>3301564
The music is the only problem, everything else is pretty simple. You can thank copyright law for making the music such a bitch to get a hold of. Compared to most games Quake is a joy to get running thanks to the source code being released.
>>
>>3299348
>Import your Quake files in ~/.quakespasm/id1
Is there any way to specify the gamedir? I guess I could link ~/.quakespasm/ to somewhere sensible but I shouldn't have to. Games don't belong in hidden directories right under your home. That's messy and stupid, who came up with it?
>>
>>3298294
Dos.
>>
>>3299348
>gl_texturemode gl_nearest
>This makes Quake look a lot better and removes the god awful vaseline on the textures.
sometimes the tech knowledge level on here confuses the hell out of me
>>
>>3301617
You actually won't ever be touching your .quakespasm folder after set up, which is why it's hidden. Quakespasm installed itself in several places you can access, and can be launched either over the terminal or through a .desktop file. In addition maps can be loaded from whatever folder on your file system you feel like, Quakespasm just needs the base game files in its dedicated .quakespasm folder.
>>
>>3301635
a better place for such files would be /usr/share or even ~/.local/share if you don't have write permissions to /usr/share
>>
>>3301640
>~/.local/share
This faces most of the same problems. Hidden dirs in your home are for tiny config files, not game files which you may forget are even there when it's time to delete stuff to free up space. Having game files there is daft as. Again, you can use symlinks to resolve the problem and put the game files on your speedy SSD but should you have to? I'm just confused as to why the Quakespasm dev thought that it was clever design to do what he did.
>>
>>3301648
What user-writeable location would you suggest?
>>
File: quakespasm-fs8.png (2 MB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
quakespasm-fs8.png
2 MB, 3840x1080
>>3301627
Software rendering was the definitive way Quake was meant to look, and software rendering used Nearest Neighbor. Floors look like shit when you use trilinear filtering:
>>
>>3301651
my comment was about the "makes Quake look" phrase and "vaseline". That stuff sounds so extremely untechnical, it's as if someone copied a config line from elsewhere and had no idea what it does on a technical level. Considering /vr/ is about a time of gaming when people could mentally keep up with what their game engines did, that comment surprised me.
>>
>>3301656
Even Linus Torvalds describes software in extremely nontechnical ways, just because you know what's going on behind it doesn't mean you can't simplify things.
>>
>>3301651
>>3301656
I was kind of suspecting a comment along the lines of "be sure to enable nearest neighbor filtering, for that old school software rendering look". The comment as is just looks so out of place.
>>
>>3301651
nearest neighbor yet insanely high resolutions? I don't get you people. If you want the way quake was meant to look, go with some pixelation. The model complexity was assuming some lower resolutions
>>
>>3301658
simplification is good and useful, but that comment just struck me as really off. That's all there is to it. A random comment.
>>
>>3301649
I'd stick the configs in ~/.quakespasm and the static game files wherever the user wants. Basicallty I'd set up a $QUAKEDIR variable and have the game binary (/usr[/local]/bin/quakespasm) take notice.

Personally I'd put the static files in my home (~/games/quake) where they are sorted but nice and visible but I think a sensible default would be /opt/quake or /usr[/local]/games/quake as they are static files and do not need writing to.
>>
File: quakespasm2-fs8.png (2 MB, 3362x1080) Image search: [Google]
quakespasm2-fs8.png
2 MB, 3362x1080
>>3301661
Yeah that's true about the models, but for gameplay reasons I find it easier to see things at 1080p
>>
>>3301668
>but for gameplay reasons I find it easier to see things at 1080p
that's the other thing. High resolution changes difficulty. I've experienced it with quite a few older games. You can tell objects apart so much earlier, it's almost unfair. Another reason I stick to the original resolutions
>>
>>3301669
User maps make up for the difficulty change and more so I'm a casual.
>>
More importantly, what's the best engine for Quakeworld?
>>
Pretty much all you need to know is here >>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Quake-HOWTO/
>>
>>3301667
I'm sure there's an variable just like that, since Doom had one too. $DOOMWADDIR I believe.
>>
>>3299348
>This makes Quake look a lot better and removes the god awful vaseline on the textures.

is there a way to do this on DarkPlaces? I hate the texture smoothing as well, I wanna disable it.
>>
>>3302686
ezquake is the one most people use for that
>>
>>3303974
gl_texturemode
>>
>>3299348
>apt-get
why do you still do this
>>
>>3305417
don't you /g/entoo us
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.