[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are SNES flash carts worth buying? If so which ones?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: super-everdrive-v2.jpg (113 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
super-everdrive-v2.jpg
113 KB, 1024x1024
Are SNES flash carts worth buying? If so which ones?
>>
>>3298143
When I finally decide to get one, I'll probably get which ever one has the highest compatibility. It'll probably be the most expensive option, but it's not like I can't afford it.
>>
Get the cheapest clone like China ver everdrive works with pretty much all games (except DSP and SuperFX games) works fantastic.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (15 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
15 KB, 400x300
Pic related is a solid option. It goes for 40 bucks on ali express. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and haven't found any compatibility issues that couldn't be fixed by a rom patch.
>>
>>3298156
OP said SNES, not Genesis.
>>
>>3298143
I want to buy one. How is the range of prices for these? Is there a website that ships worldwide (since I'm not american)?
>>
I have 3 so far
NES Powerpak
Super Everdrive v2 DSP
Everdrive GB

I got my everdrives from SAG (sorry krikzz) and the Powerpak straight from retroUSB. All of them are great. The super Everdrive is fucking picky about SD cards though.
>>
I just got the Super Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer. Paid $80 for the PCB and another $10 for the deluxe label.

There are some cheaper chinese options, but I wanted somewhere that took Paypal. There are some chinese clones on ebay (paypal), but they weren't really all that much cheaper so I decided to just get something that was guaranteed to be an original.

I'm pretty happy with it, it works. SAG makes a bunch of money on the extras (cart, label, back label, box etc), but all you really need is the PCB. I used an old madden 94 cart and tore the label off. I did have to cut into the shell with some diagonal pliers to make a hole for the SD card. You might be able to use one of those small microSD adapters like for a macbook or raspberry pi, but you'd need to open the cart any time you want to add games. Note that you will need a "gamebit" screwdriver if you want to reuse an old shell, they're cheap on ebay but you need to order it ahead of time.

As far as actual working: It's gud. Games are slow to load, but it's just 5-30 seconds at launch and then everything seems fine. I got the version with no DSP. The only special chip games I really care about (and don't own) are the Kirby's, and nothing out there supports SA-1 so it doesn't matter.

I can play Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and various translated games on my PVM with no lag, so I'm happy.
>>
>>3298153

This. Chinese shit reputedly isn't the best quality money can buy, but I've never had any issues as far as Flash carts are concerned. The only think you should be aware of is compatibility issues. Just look up a compatibility list in advance for any given brand you're considering buying.
>>
>>3298143
Just get the SD2SNES. If you can't afford it, just save for a little bit. It's worth it.
>>
>>3298437
This. Unfortunately for me (being in Canada) I bought from a Canadian seller and the cart works fine but the shell is a piece of shit that wasn't even aligned properly so I had to remove it and cut the holes bigger so the board fit into the SNES properly. Other than that issue which is the fault of the place I bought it from I have had no issues and I use it all the time.

I will be buying directly from krikzz in the future.
>>
Heres the ones that I own I bought them from Retrogate and they came in a reasonable amount of time. Can't complain about the quality overall
>Famicom N8
>Pros
Works great and it has the ability to play FDS games without the add-on.
>Games load fast
>Cons
Expanded audio on some games is missing/doesn't sound as good like Lagrange Point
>Certain mapper aren't support
more on that in their forums

I like it overall but there can be some improvement done especially getting that VRC7 audio in and mapper compatibility fixed.

Mega Everdrive v3
Pros
>Cheaper than the new one
I think the new one has the ability to save Sega CD games or something like that and save states so if you don't care about that get this one

>Master System-32x Support
All Genesis, MS, and 32x games work and you can load up Sega CD bios.

>99.9% Compatilibity
There are some games that need to be patched in order for them to work but Virtua Racing definitely does not work due to the SVP chip

Cons
>Can be picky about files
It seems to have issues with the .md files so get them on .bin files instead

Everdrive 64 v3
Probably the best one out there
Pros
>100% compatibility with the 64 library

>Games load fast

>Auto patching and built in gameshark

Cons
>Pricey
It's worth the nearly 200 bucks I got it for. N64 games are getting expensive this is the best alternative out there.
>>
I've got one. I don't know which one it is, but apparently it can't play Mega Man X and a few others.
dunno what to do with it, really, I've already played all the good snes games. Super Mario Kart to death, F-Zero is too hard, don't like FF3, Chrono Trigger was hella disappointing and not worth beating twice. I already own Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Kirby Super Star, TMNT IV and Beavis & Butt-Head.
>>
Just got a Everdrive MD in the Ukrainian extra-money edition and I'm in love with it. I could never get the Wii to output in the proper resolution on my Wega and Sega music doesn't emulator well.

Figured I'd take a chance and go with cheap Chinese on the SNES and just recently ordered one on Aliexpress so I'll post about how that goes if the thread is still up in 5-6 weeks when it ships.
>>
>>3298143
I have the one in your pic and it's pretty good.
I don't really care too much about the games i can't play with it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.