[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Timers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Why is it that so many 8bit and 16bit era video games had timers even when they served no specific purpose?
>>
Design taken from arcade games. Gotta keep those coins coming.

Even if the time limits are too generous to ever be a threat on consoles they still serve a purpose. They are just badly designed for that purpose.

The only scenario I completely agree with your thought is when console games put a time limit on things like character and stage select screens.
>>
>>3297123
most games on a timer gave you bonus score for extra time you had left.
>>
>>3297209
This.

Example: The original Castlevania.
>>
>>3297123
Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania are the kinds of games one needs to play slowly and carefully, so timer is there to ensure that you won't go TOO slow.
>>
>>3297123
Arcades used to have timers to provide an extra challenge. However most console games put the timer at such a generous amount that it really only matters on a few stages. It still does a good job of using psychology to discourage slow, tedious play.
>>
>>3300004
It's also so a guy can't stick in a single quarter, promptly drop his pants, and yell "MOONY MOONY MOONY MOONY MOONY!" until closing time
>>
>>3297123

In case you get stuck in a level, a form of auto reset
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.