[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic Blizzard games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: Diablo.jpg (142 KB, 944x940) Image search: [Google]
Diablo.jpg
142 KB, 944x940
I briefly played Diablo II and Starcraft as a kid at friend's houses, and I'm thinking about diving into them for myself finally along with the first Diablo and the Warcraft series (fuck WoW).

Are they worth the time needed to complete them in 2016?
>>
>>3297002
Why not? What else you got going on?

Add Dungeon Keeper to that list
>>
>>3297002
>Are they worth the time needed to complete them in 2016?
Diablo 1 and 2 and Warcraft 2 and 3, yes.

Starcraft was best online playing against people, it's not the same against the computer imo. Warcraft 3 is good alone though.
>>
>>3297005
I'm currently playing through Return To Castle Wolfenstein for the first time an having an absolute blast, I haven't had so much fun with a game in quite a while. Kind of ignited an "old games I never really played" kick. I just wanted to know if they were still good games 15-20 years later or if some were worth skipping.

I'll give Dungeon Keeper a look though!
>>
>>3297002
Word of advice, play Diablo I before II. I've heard that a lot of people can't get into I after starting with II.
>>
>>3297017
I've seen a lot of posts online that indicate the same advice.

Does anyone know why Blizzard don't sell Diablo 1 on their website? Is it just so old they can't be fucked?
>>
>>3297017
This. Also the same with the WarCraft series, although it may be too late if you played StarCraft for any amount of time. WarCraft 1 and 2 (mostly 1) is a bit painful to return to once you are used to control groups and such.
>>
Diablo 1 is really good, the style is noticeably different even already in D2.
>>
>>3297002
Diablo and Diablo 2 are definitely worth it
>>
Blizzard is one of the few developers I actually felt was necessary to boycott. If you had played any of their multiplayer titles in the past, you'd know what I'm talking about. Players were liberally banned and had their CD keys nuked for what Blizzard perceived as "cheating," which was often just people using third-party programs to enhance the game client, such as adding windowed mode support, or allowing them to play on Linux. "Harassment" (although sometimes legitimately punished) often got your account muted, which meant your CD key would never again be able to access in-game chat features.

Contacting customer support to clear up any misunderstandings was an exercise in futility. The representatives often came off as rude or blatantly insulting, and never would reverse any actions taken against your account or your CD key.

I wasn't surprised to read about Blizzard moving toward always-online DRM with their newer games. It's just another chapter in their relentless efforts to alienate their own fanbase. Were it not for the popularity of MMORPGs, this company would have been forced to close its doors a long time ago.
>>
>>3297002
Any Blizzard games pre-WOW (maybe vanilla and the burning crusade are an exception) are always classics.

Also off-note overwatch is seriously overrated for its price. It gets old so quickly. Its sad to see a once powerhouse slowly crumbling on its feet and the only thing that keeps fueling its life support is activision.
>>
>>3297002

Warcraft 2 is worth completing the main campaign at least once. It's THE classic rts game aside from Command & Conquer.
>>
>>3297913
>alienate their own fanbase

Basically most of the triple A companies right now. Also one of the main reason why I quit gaming and stick to classics or other leisures in my free time.
>>
>>3297002
Blizzard died after Rock 'n Roll Racing. They died before even renaming themselves Blizzard. Play Rock 'n Roll Racing.
>>
>>3297002
I love starcraft's campaign, it's a cool story with some neat stages. Diablo 1 I personally don't like that much, but it definitely has its fans.
>>
>>3298029
What about Dune 2?
>>
>>3298029
Why doesn't anyone talk about Warcraft 1? Just aged very poorly?
>>
>>3299698
Old RTS like the first Warcraft or Dune 2 are difficult to handle, but i remember it having some original and unique stuff, like going inside buildings.
>>
>>3299698
The controls are really unwieldy and all the missions are just "Destroy everything".

And OP, Diablo 1 is a great game. Just make sure you play as the Warrior for your first go for the "canon" experience.
>>
>>3297913
I played D2, at one point obsessively, for years without any bans or blocks. Their triggers are fairly finely tuned for abusive behaviour. That's why their CS is pretty unforgiving.
>>
>>3297002
For Diablo 1, try the Bezelbub mod. Seriously.
>>
OP here! Really appreciating all the input, I think I'll start with Diablo because I'm more of an RPG guy than RTS to be honest, but I have a quick question:

I'm currently looking on Amazon for the Diablo battle chest. From what I understand, there are two versions of this, one that is only Diablo 2 and the expansion (plus strategy guide), and the "old" version which contains both Diablo I and II and their respective expansions. These older versions are in excess of $80! Does anybody know why they discontinued Diablo I in the battle chest? It's a real fucking pain because I'd like to get both at once.
>>
>>3297002
It's a bit out of retro bounds (2001) but i think it's relevant to your question - Throne of Darkness.
It's an ARPG made by Diablo 1 devs who left after D1. It's a bit rough around the edges but shares the atmosphere of D1 and has some cool ideas of its own, definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>3301476
Just download it. There's no CD code or other copy protection.
They may have lost the publishing rights for Diablo 1 since that was originally published by Sierra On-line.
>>
>>3301486
I'm one of those "likes to own it" people, but if I can't find a reasonably priced copy, I probably will.
>>
>>3297913

Man I straight up called people some of the most slanderous shit in the books in SC/D2/WC3 for years in each. I never got a reprimand. I can't even begin to fathom the lengths you'd have to go, to get banned.
>>
>>3297913
For Diablo 2, my account got temporarily and automatically flagged and disabled for login because I was playing too quick.

For any D2 bros here who still don't know, please get accustomed to the "pom pom" rule to avoid getting "failed to create game" black screen of death.
>>
File: stupidblizzarderaboutclassics1.png (335 KB, 1205x754) Image search: [Google]
stupidblizzarderaboutclassics1.png
335 KB, 1205x754
>>3297023
That's how they sell old games now -_- They literally don't care! :(
>>
>>3301570
wooooooooooh, woooooooooah, doh Pom Pom
>>
>>3299698
Warcraft 1 feels as archaic as Dune 2.
You can't just select a unit and rightclick to move or attack. You always have to press the move button or attack button first. Then there is also a separate harvest button if you want your peon to collect stuff.
Also the path finding is horrible. If you don't have an open line between your capital and gold mine you will have to micromanage every single worker.
>>
>>3297009
Play Unreal. Started that yesterday and it's fucking amazing. Kinda makes me sad UT almost completely overshadowed it in terms of discussion.
>>
>>3302396
I have all of the Unreal games available on Steam in my library, actually. Anything similar you'd recommend?
>>
>>3302386
>If you don't have an open line between your capital and gold mine
How do you achieve that when buildings have to be adjacent?
>>
>>3304237
You can build roads that act like Dune II's concrete slabs to extend your base while keeping some free spaces.

Warcraft I is pretty bad anyway: melee units with awful pathfinding is frustrating, no groups and OP summoning makes it less enjoyable than Dune II.

Luckily, Warcraft II, while still having pathfinding problem corrects some of those problems and remains a decent game.
>>
>>3301476
Have you tried D1 already? What are your first impressions about it?

/v/'s recommended wiki says that Legend of Mana is "atmosphere the game". I could use the same phrase about D1. Dark, pressing, low fantasy. Music, voices, colorspace is all cut from the same tree as the saying goes.
>>
>>3304609
The only good thing about Warcraft was the dungeon levels. They aren't in 2, but were back in 3.
>>
>>3304771
No I have not, that's part of the reason I'm trying to track it down. I know Diablo II made the whole experience much better, but I want to see how the series started.
>>
>>3306182
Just get it off Pirate bay.
>>
>>3304609
>OP summoning
It's not OP pnce you consider the huge inital cost
>1400 gold for the tower
>900 gold for the caster
>3000 gold for the spell

For that money you could have bought 8 archers + 2 catapults.
>>
>>3297913
I heard Blizzard got into trouble with the release of starcraft.
I rememebr an article in the american PC Gamer Magazine at the time. I think there was something that the cd key would do, or the installation process would purposefully go into peoples files on their computer or something.
>>
GOG.com is on its last day of its summer sale OP

theres TONs of games that are ripe for the playing.

bullfrog classics
dnd classics
Sid Meiers CLassics
Classic Shooters
pretty much everything except diablo one and warcraft 2

I think you can get warcraft 2 and one at any abandonware site.

Also if you dig on RPGs
check out Blood Omen Legacy of Kain. Which you should dl the ISO and play on an xp machine.
>>
You can play wc1 in wc3. I'd prefer a remake in wc2, but I don't think wc2 had custom campaigns
>>
>>3306182
Maybe this one? https://k a t . c r /diablo-hellfire-pc-eng-full-t8618054.html

Optionally, install epsxe or mednafen and play ps1 port from emuparadise. It's not that bad port. Load times are rather long though.
>>
I'm playing Diablo 1 for the first time and I'm a few hours in. Thinking of rolling a new character because apparently Warrior has no skills of his own and that's kind of boring.
>>
>>3307330
If you a new to Diablo 1 then I would strongly recommend playing the Wizard because he becomes by far the best once you have the mana shield spell.
Never use the staff recharge skill since it decreases maximum charges. Instead just let the store do it for you.
>>
>>3297002
If you're going to play D1, make sure you play "The Hell" - it's a mod that fixes many bugs, improves and expands gameplay in a big way, and increases difficulty. Very, very nice mod that keeps to the original look and feel of the game.
>>
>>3299949
The "canon" experience is a group of all three characters, you jackass.

Just play as who you want, although I always enjoyed the rogue.
>>
>>3307330
>because apparently Warrior has no skills of his own
That's every character, anon. D2 is what introduced skills. Warrior can get spells as can the other two.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.