[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if Sega reskinned NiGHTS and Reala to be Super Sonic and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Sonic Xtreme.jpg (28 KB, 250x357) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Xtreme.jpg
28 KB, 250x357
What if Sega reskinned NiGHTS and Reala to be Super Sonic and Super Knuckles, while the two kids where regular Sonic?

WOULD SONIC INTO DREAMS SAVE THE SATURN IN THE WEST?
>>
>>3295965
It would be blasted as a shitty spinoff and given a 3/10
>>
>What if Sega reskinned NiGHTS and Reala to be Super Sonic and Super Knuckles, while the two kids where regular Sonic?

Warm outside.
>>
>>3295965
You realize on the Christmas nights disc you can play as sonic and go through the nights levels and boss fight first boss... And no it didn't save the Saturn or even get enough attention for them to make it a full game.
>>
>>3296317
That's a completely different thing than what OP is talking about.
>>
>>3295965
Like when they changed Puyo Puyo to a Dr. Robotnik game?
>>
I WANT TO SEE YOU STANDING THEEEERE
>>
>>3295965
Hardly. Two full-fledged, big-budgeted Sonic games weren't enough to save the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3297128
>Implying the dreamcast needed saving

It would have filled a modest niche, like the Gamecube and Xbox, just fine. Granted, it couldn't compete with the PS2, but neither could the GC or XB. The only reason it died so soon was because Sega's finances were fucked.
>>
>>3297128
this is because they were shit
>>
>>3297165
But the Dreamcast did need saving. EA didn't make any games for the Dreamcast, and they went with the systems that would sell. Their business model works.
>>
>>3297186
EA didn't make any games for the Dreamcast because they didn't want Sega making competing sports games. The Dreamcast sold nearly 10 million units and had the then-biggest console launch ever. Considering the Gamecube only sold around 21 million, and that was around for longer, I don't think the Dreamcast was a failure.

In 2000, Sega got a new president who had long openly advocated for Sega to leave the console business. Other higher-ups at Sega, including the founder, David Rosen, felt that Sega was limiting themselves by developing for their own hardware. That, combined with the financial problems they were in due to the mistakes they had made throughout the 90's made it a clear choice to abandon the Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast could have sold twice, or maybe even three times as many units and it probably still would have been discontinued.
>>
>>3297210
I am not sure I believe that. Back then everyone made competing sports games, and EA won in the end. Microsoft had the NFL Fever games for their own platform. Midway had their sports games, Akklaim had sports games, and Activision too on all platforms. I think EA just smelled the stench of failure destined for the Dreamcast.

NiGHTS nor Sonic would help. I think the Dreamcast was destined to fail when everyone wanted to wait for the successor to the Playstation which at that time was reported by magazines to output "120million (unshaded, unlit, untextured) polygons to the Dreamcast's measly 8 million"; that kind of press along with a large publisher as EA refusing to release anything for the system, with Sega not recognizing JRPGs were the shit at the time (and thus no Square nor Enix) ruined the desire of the public for the Dreamcast. Alongside Sega's mounting in-house issues, the system was destined to fail no matter what.
>>
>>3297128
Adventure 2 was released after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

Adventure 1 didn't save the system, but it was part of the reason why the DC launch was a success in the US, and it was the best selling DC game in Japan. It would have helped the Saturn I think.
>>
>>3297220
and Playstation had the 989 Studios which made sports games too!
>>
>>3297220
>I think EA just smelled the stench of failure destined for the Dreamcast.

Well, it's not like you can blame them, after the Saturn.

I really feel like Sony didn't kill the Dreamcast, but rather that Sega's previous actions killed the Dreamcast. If Sony killed the Dreamcast, why didn't it kill the Xbox and Gamecube, which sold like ass compared to the PS2 but were still considered successful?

I do agree that the Dreamcast was doomed no matter what, but I think it's pretty much entirely due to Sega's own management and in-house issues, like you say, rather than Sony. N64 and Gamecube got BTFO'd by Sony, yet Nintendo's still around.
>>
>>3297210
Dreamcast sold 5 million before Sega killed it and sold the remaining stock at $50
>>
>>3297170
They were, but they were marketed and hyped by magazines into oblivion, so it would have easily fooled people enough into buying them.
But alas, the DC just wasn't meant to be.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.